Monster Hunter: World

That is something that irritated me. Fight a monster until nearly defeated, only to have him retreat and vanish off the map, leaving me with no drops and a wasted effort. Now I only fight monsters that I have a quest for. That seems to fix the issue.

Eventually you will get investigations which is the real way you want to be farming for monsters. Expeditions are good for gathering plants and stuff.

EDIT: Actually, you get them pretty much right away, but you have to go to the Research team and talk to them (same place you set the Bounties) to be able to use them. The game doesn't really explain that for some reason.

Just be sure to collect all the tracks you can, those get you Research Points as well as research levels on the monsters, AND Investigations which have better chances of good monster loot. Usually give you quite a bit of money, too.

Last edited:
Getting lots of negative reviews on steam because of performance, stability and multiplayer connectivity issues.

I was hesitant to purchase, but so far it's been a blast. So much stuff to do in this game it's pretty great. I was having some weird performance issues when too many of the little fire fly navigator things got on screen during battle, but turning off the fog seemed to immediately fix it. I might check out VRQ too.

Watch out for a potentially save-destroying bug on the last boss of the game (hint: it's not Zorah):

Highly suggest backing up your save file intermittently, instructions are in that thread or otherwise readily available via Google.

VRQ was a big hit on my system. I tried it briefly last night and even setting it to low/mid bumped my frame rates by a huge margin. I think I prefer it off now, but with it off it does seem as if the quality of the textures are more apparent. My settings are basically highest minus VRQ and I get 77-108 now vs 63-72 with VRQ at the highest setting. With low to mid settings I can stay in the 70-85 range.

crafted armor from the water mud monster, next one is lightning monster which the previous armor gives negative resistance to. Now have to go back and craft the stone armor from the monster before. good times :D

Like others have said, don't worry too much about crafting Low-Rank armor - just get yourself enough to get by to High-Rank.

I've been enjoying running around gathering, re-doing Low Rank...kinda chill compared to the crazy nonsense at end game right now on PS4.

Amazing how much easier Low Rank is though with monster experience, knowledge of the maps, where the camps are, etc.

Speaking of which, make sure to go on Expeditions and search around the maps thoroughly - you will find more locations for camps that you need to do a delivery quest for, but you definitely want the camps set up sooner rather than later. Allows you to spawn in different areas, and fast-travel to them during gameplay from the map.

Ancient Forest and Wildspire Wastes have 4 camps, Coral Highlands and Rotting Vale have 2 camps.

crafted armor from the water mud monster, next one is lightning monster which the previous armor gives negative resistance to. Now have to go back and craft the stone armor from the monster before. good times :D

Nah, it's a waste of your time. The resistance stats aren't going to mean anything. The lone exception to that is Kirin and to a lesser extent, Teostra. But those are both end game elder dragons.

Nah, it's a waste of your time. The resistance stats aren't going to mean anything. The lone exception to that is Kirin and to a lesser extent, Teostra. But those are both end game elder dragons.

They can be helpful later on, but mostly you're going to be adding elemental resistance with decorations anyway, if needed. No reason to worry about it in Low Rank.

Is the dynamic resolution scaling as good as in Titanfall 2??

Cuz that would be a god-send for me....

Buy a new card.

Seemed to be the way to go. And it was!

Had an RX 570 go on sale here for 220 (AUD, trust me, it's far cheaper than normal, most 1060 3gb/570s go for aorund ~300). So he grabbed that. Being delivered today! Hopefully performs well!

lol found out in coop mission, if three people die, mission is over. not good if you get idiots. :)

update: looks like people do not like the anjanath mission. he oneshots pretty easily.

Last edited:
Unofficial Monster Hunter: World fix addresses fullscreen crashes and CPU usage

Steam modder Kaldaien, who you may know from the 'FAR' resolution fixes he released for Nier: Automata, is working to improve the port, and recently released a mod pack containing a medley of fixes and features...

https://www.pcgamer.com/unofficial-...x-addresses-fullscreen-crashes-and-cpu-usage/

Using the mod made the game actually run decent at 4K for me. I don't think it's 60, but I think its somewhere in the 40-55 range now.

Its crazy that the game creates 31 job threads by default, especially as the engine supposedly maxes out at 8 cores. Seems like really sloppy coding not to have the game only load as many threads as the CPU currently in use can handle. On the plus side this means it is not likely an Assassins Creed: Origins issue, but Capcom still needs to get off their ass and fix it or, at least, acknowledge that the game has performance issues and promise to look into them.

Someone needs to get one of those Threadrippers with 32 threads (or the 2990WX and its 32 physical cores) and throw it at this game.

Using the mod made the game actually run decent at 4K for me. I don't think it's 60, but I think its somewhere in the 40-55 range now.

Its crazy that the game creates 31 job threads by default, especially as the engine supposedly maxes out at 8 cores. Seems like really sloppy coding not to have the game only load as many threads as the CPU currently in use can handle. On the plus side this means it is not likely an Assassins Creed: Origins issue, but Capcom still needs to get off their ass and fix it or, at least, acknowledge that the game has performance issues and promise to look into them.

Someone needs to get one of those Threadrippers with 32 threads (or the 2990WX and its 32 physical cores) and throw it at this game.
I run it on a 1950x and I never had an issue with frame rates, but VRQ is still a frame rate killer. I don't run it at 4k though.

Unofficial Monster Hunter: World fix addresses fullscreen crashes and CPU usage

Steam modder Kaldaien, who you may know from the 'FAR' resolution fixes he released for Nier: Automata, is working to improve the port, and recently released a mod pack containing a medley of fixes and features...

https://www.pcgamer.com/unofficial-...x-addresses-fullscreen-crashes-and-cpu-usage/
Reminder that Kaldaien is an asshole who attempts to weaponize the Steam API. If you use his mods always go into the associated config file and set Silent=True in the Steam.Log section.

Reminder that Kaldaien is an asshole who attempts to weaponize the Steam API. If you use his mods always go into the associated config file and set Silent=True in the Steam.Log section.

He's an asshole, but not because his mod checks for a valid Steam API. Special K does use the Steam API and modifies it so checking for a valid one makes sense.

I haven't bothered trying to do MP yet on the PC, because half the time I will get a disconnection error even if I'm in my own private online session.

By the time I get to HR/endgame stuff, hopefully they will have the issues fixed.

Just reached the first Zorah repel mission after beating Anjanath...I miss having my HR gear with like, actual decent skills. :( Plus all my weapons, lol.

I didn't pick this up reason being the grind looks scary I read about the server issues but like 1/4 million people are playing.

they should take their time and fix the major issues and also release the DLC plus an HD Texture pack...hopefully this doesn't end up another NieR: Automata where modder Kaldaien is the one releasing all the patches...but Capcom has a fairly decent record with PC (Dragon's Dogma) so I think they will officially patch the game

thnx! that explains the settings I didn't understand, like wtf is SH diffuse? now I know :)

this is a strange game...doesn't sound like there's much of a difference visually between the highest and lowest preset...performance is affected by the various settings but I don't see much else...my hopes for an HD texture pack might be a pipe dream as the end of the article states that- "There's also potential for future patches and optimizations to help the PC version stand out more, though that's more likely to come via mods than via patches"

Nice tips..I wonder if the port forwarding is actually effective? Shouldn't be needed for PC, wasn't needed on PS4 or XB1.

Hard to say from that article. He's basically like "It seemed to help me connect, but it might have just been luck because it hasn't worked for everyone, and I've had some disconnects since enabling it so YMMV." Lol.

I would say if you're not having connection issues, don't bother but if you're having problems then it can't hurt to give it a shot and see if it helps.

this is a strange game...doesn't sound like there's much of a difference visually between the highest and lowest preset...performance is affected by the various settings but I don't see much else...my hopes for an HD texture pack might be a pipe dream as the end of the article states that- "There's also potential for future patches and optimizations to help the PC version stand out more, though that's more likely to come via mods than via patches"

Re: HD texture pack, some folks seem to think there is actually a bug where textures are showing as low-res when they shouldn't. Might explain why sometimes you see high-res textures on environments, armor, etc. but somtimes not.

Re: HD texture pack, some folks seem to think there is actually a bug where textures are showing as low-res when they shouldn't. Might explain why sometimes you see high-res textures on environments, armor, etc. but somtimes not.

That's just MT Framework. It does weird things with textures. Reminds me of early UE3 texure issues.

Capcom mentioned the PC version as having 'console parity' so it doesn't sound like they are concerned about giving PC users better visuals

Capcom mentioned the PC version as having 'console parity' so it doesn't sound like they are concerned about giving PC users better visuals

They also said they'll consider releasing updated visuals later. I imagine, at the moment, their primary concerns are things like the disconnect issue and getting the PC version all the console content.

They also said they'll consider releasing updated visuals later. I imagine, at the moment, their primary concerns are things like the disconnect issue and getting the PC version all the console content.

yeah they need to get the current performance up to par before worrying about any visual upgrades...releasing it now would only make performance insanely low...the PC version sold way better then most anticipated so they have no excuses about sales on PC being disappointing

yeah they need to get the current performance up to par before worrying about any visual upgrades...releasing it now would only make performance insanely low...the PC version sold way better then most anticipated so they have no excuses about sales on PC being disappointing

Indeed. I would love a HD texture pack at some point, it would make the PC version even more of a definitive MHW experience, but I'd rather they wait for now and deal with other things. Capcom needs to make sure to support the game with patches. People have already proved that they want this kind of game on Steam, but if Capcom fails to support it that market will go poof.

Just got through low rank, onto high rank. Been splitting my time between this, the PS4 version, the MHGU demo, and Dead Cells.

I love how the game performs on PC, it's a noticeable difference from the PS4 Pro. Also the load times are stupid fast.

I ended up using the bow for most of LR. Charge blade just doesn't jive with me for whatever reason.

this game is very much a mixed bag for me. I like some of the things it does but on the other hand just lots and lots of things are incredibly obscure and inconsistent. Things just are not explained. Like there are lifts at the base, or you can fast travel through the map. How to change palico equipment? Not from the chest where you change your own. google. How to capture monsters? google.

multiplayer is the worst I have experienced in any similar multiplayer game. The port thingy above helped for a while and then problems recurred.

251,134 309,108 MONSTER HUNTER: WORLD

there is an incredible amount of people playing, so either you can never connect, or never find a mission type relevant to what you want to play, or you make a mission to which nobody ever joins. They seem to use some weird system, where players are grouped together on a server, and maybe this is the pool where possible missions are chosen. If you make your own server chances of connecting with people appears to be much worse and more limited. Although sometimes that is the only way you can actually play.

The weapons are also confusing. A better way to think of them is as representing character classes that use the same buttons, but everything else is completely different in learning how to build damage and trigger special effects/attacks. At 30 hours I still don't know how to trigger all my longsword moves. Other stuff like ammo you find and can throw, I don't know the relevance of. I am sure it is useful, just I don't understand the context.

Then you have idiots everywhere on the base, providing different functions. Youtube again, a 5 minute video on what you should be "doing" between fights. Like holy shit. Go here for research, there to turn stuff in, pet the pig, collect your gardening, restock.... meld shit..... check for new stuff to craft....

Back