LG 48CX

Yup. I use 0 for work with light coming in a window, no issues. Then HDR with the Windows slider at 7% for non-work (equivalent of ~35 OLED light on SDR content). You'll think it looks dim right after you change it, but I guarantee after 10 minutes you won't even notice, and if you turn it back up to 75+ you'll squint.
Thats been my experience. Besides.. I don't need notpad++ and solidworks to be vibrant. I'd rather not stress the oleds for desktop tasks.

Yep, you can check that via hdmi diagnostics menu. Settings / Programmes/ Hover over Programme Tuning and pres 5times 1 (1,1,1,1,1) . Right arrow to highlight and select HDMI Mode and you can check some stuff.
Thank you. This has confirmed a problem I am having. When in the nVidia Control Panel I select (under PC resolutions) the 3840x2160 option and 120Hz (8bpp, 32bit, full/rgb) the PC is sending out a 4096x2160 active signal that the display is scaling. Hence I am getting some narrow black vertical bars on the sides. I am now running a high quality cable (signaling issues have disappeared) so I'm not sure what's going on. Under the Ultra HD/HD/SD section, selecting the 3840x2160 (native) option @ 60Hz sends the proper signal.

In either case I am not seeing the display detected as GSync compatible. GPU is a RTX 3080. Any ideas?

Thank you. This has confirmed a problem I am having. When in the nVidia Control Panel I select (under PC resolutions) the 3840x2160 option and 120Hz (8bpp, 32bit, full/rgb) the PC is sending out a 4096x2160 active signal that the display is scaling. Hence I am getting some narrow black vertical bars on the sides. I am now running a high quality cable (signaling issues have disappeared) so I'm not sure what's going on. Under the Ultra HD/HD/SD section, selecting the 3840x2160 (native) option @ 60Hz sends the proper signal.

In either case I am not seeing the display detected as GSync compatible. GPU is a RTX 3080. Any ideas?
I noticed some games doing this, they're defaulting to the max resolution supported by your display because they think that's what you'd obviously want. I used Custom Resolution Utility to delete 4096x2160 out of the EDID, problem solved.

Set nvidia scaling options to "display" and not "GPU", this is some recent nvidia bug I've noticed with Ampere (but not with my Pascal card). I don't know why LG insists on having that fake 4096x2160 res in their EDID though.

Set nvidia scaling options to "display" and not "GPU", this is some recent nvidia bug I've noticed with Ampere (but not with my Pascal card). I don't know why LG insists on having that fake 4096x2160 res in their EDID though.
Thank you - that did the trick! That is a tricky one I may not have caught - appreciate the tip. Now to figure out why GSync doesn't show as active...

According to LTT's video, LG is planning an update with DSC for the 8K OLEDs. Those models have two 48 Gbps ports as well. Maybe the 4K models will get the DSC update too. I wonder if HDMI 2.0 GPUs can use DSC since they have the capability for DisplayPort, though it's only part of the HDMI 2.1 specification. If so, it would allow 4K 120 Hz at higher than 8-bit 4:2:0 on HDMI 2.0.

Thank you - that did the trick! That is a tricky one I may not have caught - appreciate the tip. Now to figure out why GSync doesn't show as active...
for gsync you can also check if its enabled for display via another secret menu, just repately press green button and VRR info menu will apear. If there is VRR gsync is enable if fixed its not.

Is there a connection information screen I can access via the display? I'd like to know what the display sees in terms of resolution, refresh rate, color depth, etc. as a sanity check against what Windows tells me (old habit) and every display I've ever owned had some way to display this. I haven't been able to find it in the Settings function of the CX48.
HDMI diagnostic screen can be accessed by going to Programmes -> highlight Programme Tuning & Settings -> Hit 1,1,1,1,1,1 on your remote. Then press right to highlight HDMI mode and click that to open the info you are looking for.

Is there any bug with PC resolution? no mather what PC resolution I choose desktop change but TV is still reporting 3840x2160p RGB 10b, if I choose some TV resolution it change correctly. Scaling set to "display".

Is there any bug with PC resolution? no mather what PC resolution I choose desktop change but TV is still reporting 3840x2160p RGB 10b, if I choose some TV resolution it change correctly. Scaling set to "display".
Latest Nvidia 457 based drivers seem to have some problems with color space when 120 Hz is in use. I have to use an older 456.71 driver to get working DSC support on my Club3D adapter. If I use a newer one it will only support 4K 120 Hz 4:2:0 as if I was using a HDMI 2.0 cable.

PC resolution should still change correctly if scaling is set to display. Try changing it from Windows display settings to see if that does anything different.

According to LTT's video, LG is planning an update with DSC for the 8K OLEDs. Those models have two 48 Gbps ports as well. Maybe the 4K models will get the DSC update too. I wonder if HDMI 2.0 GPUs can use DSC since they have the capability for DisplayPort, though it's only part of the HDMI 2.1 specification. If so, it would allow 4K 120 Hz at higher than 8-bit 4:2:0 on HDMI 2.0.
My understanding is that HDMI 2.0 does not support DSC at least in its spec. It is a HDMI 2.1 feature. I suppose in theory it could be backported but it would require the TV to support it and I don't think Nvidia or LG has any interest in supporting out of spec features. At best DSC could allow 4K 120 Hz 12 bit color for CX series but that is also a pretty pointless endeavour to implement when the panel is 10-bit.

But I am excited to see support for 8K DSC because that could mean 8K 120 Hz panel would be possible to make. LG, give me a 48" 8K 120 Hz version of the current CX and I'll buy it! Well, as long as it's more reasonably priced than the current 8K screens. I know 8K 120 hz would not be anything you could reach in the next 5-10 years but it would make all the difference on the desktop.

I'm having a minor issue where when I boot PC, tv won't recognize PC HDMI input, says no signal. Most times I have to turn TV off then on again and windows login screen will appear. Am I not giving ti enough time or is there a TV/Windows/Bios setting I need to adjust?

I'm having a minor issue where when I boot PC, tv won't recognize PC HDMI input, says no signal. Most times I have to turn TV off then on again and windows login screen will appear. Am I not giving ti enough time or is there a TV/Windows/Bios setting I need to adjust?
Seems to be a TV or NVIDIA bug since it occurs in the UEFI as well. It happens once in a while on my RTX 3090. It did not happen with a direct connection from my RTX 2080 Ti to the CX with older firmware.

Seems to be a TV or NVIDIA bug since it occurs in the UEFI as well. It happens once in a while on my RTX 3090. It did not happen with a direct connection from my RTX 2080 Ti to the CX with older firmware.
Hmmm, so just need to be patient with a driver/firmware update? I have a 3090 as well, Asus Strix OC.

if anyone elsi is also looking for new cable and maybe missed this announcement like me:
Club 3D is proud to announce having received the certification of our Ultra High Speed HDMI™ Cable 4K120 8K60Hz 48Gbps M/M 2m/6.56ft with item code CAC-1372 by the HDMI™ organisation, as one of the first cables worldwide. Since its launch this cable has always been one of our bestsellers and it should attract even more users with the now received certificate. The product page of CAC-1372 has been reworked with placing informartion and pictures, including the Ultra High Speed HDMI™ certificate whereever suitable.

if anyone elsi is also looking for new cable and maybe missed this announcement like me:
Club 3D is proud to announce having received the certification of our Ultra High Speed HDMI™ Cable 4K120 8K60Hz 48Gbps M/M 2m/6.56ft with item code CAC-1372 by the HDMI™ organisation, as one of the first cables worldwide. Since its launch this cable has always been one of our bestsellers and it should attract even more users with the now received certificate. The product page of CAC-1372 has been reworked with placing informartion and pictures, including the Ultra High Speed HDMI™ certificate whereever suitable.
For the record my much cheaper CableMatters cable performs identically to the CAC-1372 when used with both my Club3D DP to HDMI 2.1 adapter and my PS5.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Are you turning the TV on _before_ your PC? I think nvidia cards have some issues with HDMI handshaking if the TV is off.

interesting. My 1080ti(s) can't do VRR either way so time to upgrade when the gpu model I want is available later.

Some games will struggle to hit 100fpsHz average even with a 3090 (and even with DLSS 2.0 support and no RTX turned on in some cases). It would be nice as an option for 2000 series gpu owners holding on to those (especially after blowing $ on a ~ 1500+ tv) though, sure. Would have been even nicer before the 3000 series gpus were out- though not many people can get them so maybe that's what you were getting at too.

This happens once in awhile on my displayport adapter to hdmi screens(s) but when it happens it usually just blinks a bunch of times. Only rarely does it fail and give up to "no signal". It never happens hdmi to hdmi so I always thought it was a hdmi handshaking issue on wakeup from standby. However I've also seen people in forums suggesting that the GPU is waking up before the display does causing them to be out of sync (and possibly the handshaking out of sync). There is a way to reinitialize the gpu but that seems like a harsh workaround.

I think my 43" TCL died partly due to cheap parts but I also think that because it's backlight was often caught in a flashing loop when I'd wake it up. So I think that contributed to it's shortened lifespan combined with the cheap parts. Half of the screen would always be dim due to the backlight failing. Now I have the same samsung 6900 on each side on dp adapters with the LG CX in the middle hdmi to hdmi. The one side samsung rarely does the wakeup issue but it doesn't come up much anymore since I've started just turning them all off via remote if I'm going to be away for awhile.

Eventually I'm hoping to get a gpu with several hdmi outputs so I won't have to rely on displayport adapters anymore.

In the same vein, I'm a little disappointed with how clunky switching in and out of active HDR mode content can be when paging off of it to another monitor. It's like the old days of alt-tabbing out of a fullscreen game with clunky lag and possibly even blinking screen before it switched out of it completely. I'd rather the HDR mode just stay active on the main monitor and not drop and reinitialize the HDR mode needlessly.

Last edited:
Still tweaking some things on my pc. I realized that if you leave a video running in mpc-hc it will restore from fullscreen leaving the player window and frame static on your desktop. You can instead set it up this way:

MeqCa5D.png

Edit: It's actually here to make it always happen:

LWKlqHj.png

Last edited:
Latest Nvidia 457 based drivers seem to have some problems with color space when 120 Hz is in use. I have to use an older 456.71 driver to get working DSC support on my Club3D adapter. If I use a newer one it will only support 4K 120 Hz 4:2:0 as if I was using a HDMI 2.0 cable.

PC resolution should still change correctly if scaling is set to display. Try changing it from Windows display settings to see if that does anything different.
Same when changing from windows display settings. It only acept like 1360x768 resolution from PC list. Anyone with 3xxx nvidia card can test if he is able to switch to 1440p and what TV reports in windows via VRR menu /hdmi diagnostic.
If I choose the 1440p resolution in game TV will report correct resolution.

Also can anyone with 3840x2160*120 RGB/444 10 bit can provide HDMI diagnostic menu screen, I would like to check if its normal getting errors there or it should be at 0. I am getting 1-3 errors every few minutes on lanes 0 and 1 but no flashes or artifacts. Only issue I have is random TV recconect like once per day. IDK if it could be caused by cable or it will be just random handshake issue or some issue with card caused by multimonitor setup.

Same when changing from windows display settings. It only acept like 1360x768 resolution from PC list. Anyone with 3xxx nvidia card can test if he is able to switch to 1440p and what TV reports in windows via VRR menu /hdmi diagnostic.
If I choose the 1440p resolution in game TV will report correct resolution.

Also can anyone with 3840x2160*120 RGB/444 10 bit can provide HDMI diagnostic menu screen, I would like to check if its normal getting errors there or it should be at 0. I am getting 1-3 errors every few minutes on lanes 0 and 1 but no flashes or artifacts. Only issue I have is random TV recconect like once per day. IDK if it could be caused by cable or it will be just random handshake issue or some issue with card caused by multimonitor setup.

I would try another cable if you haven't already. Bad HDMI cables can do very very weird things. Also try reinstalling your Nvidia drivers with the Clean install option.

I would try another cable if you haven't already. Bad HDMI cables can do very very weird things. Also try reinstalling your Nvidia drivers with the Clean install option.
I am on 3rd different driver version from 3080 rls, I dont want just try another random cable so I was waiting for Zeskit but still no available in EU, so already ordered club3d one because its also cerified.
I will provide my hdmi screen here if anyone can check if there is something wrong there or maybe compare with his.
menu.png

I am on 3rd different driver version from 3080 rls, I dont want just try another random cable so I was waiting for Zeskit but still no available in EU, so already ordered club3d one because its also cerified.
I will provide my hdmi screen here if anyone can check if there is something wrong there or maybe compare with his.
View attachment 306274
The high error count does suggest something going wrong, most likely due to the cable. I would see if dropping down to 8-bit color helps at all.

Also remember to check that the input is in PC mode on the Home dashboard of the TV. When unplugging cables it loves to reset that setting.

The high error count does suggest something going wrong, most likely due to the cable. I would see if dropping down to 8-bit color helps at all.

Also remember to check that the input is in PC mode on the Home dashboard of the TV. When unplugging cables it loves to reset that setting.
Yep its in PC mode, changed to 8 bit and 420 and 100 hz but same errors. Weird thing is yesterday I pluged same cable to HDMI4 port on TV and got only like 100 errors for hours and it still drop and recconect. Only when I drop to 4k 60 or FHD it change from FRL to TMDS and then I got 0 errors. I was just currious if its common for FRL to have some comunication errors.

What are those SCDC errors? I just noticed I got quite a few myself yet everything is working perfectly. Is that counter reset when you power cycle the TV?

What are those SCDC errors? I just noticed I got quite a few myself yet everything is working perfectly. Is that counter reset when you power cycle the TV?
I think they reset when you inicialize connection, so sometimes even when you change resolution.
What I found FRL is doing some kind of line training on video inicialization so sometimes I am getting errors on 1 lane sometimes on another. Sometimes I got 200 after 5 hours, sometimes 5000. I didnt have also any other issue except that random recconect which display only blinks and its back, so if you are not all the time in front of TV you can miss it. And its realy random sometimes 2times per day, sometimes not for few days.

I have 0 errors on PHY and 207 errors in SCDC after 24 hours, but I have no dropouts at all.

Playing World of Warcraft at 3840x2160 i get a hitch every 20 secs or so. FPS is still high over 100 normally.

I have a 2080ti do you think this is a game settings issue or something with the tv/video card?

Thanks
I don't have a hitch in wow shadowlands but I've been running 1440p with ray tracing on high on a 3090. The fps really tanks in bastion but it is a consistent drop.

I don't have a hitch in wow shadowlands but I've been running 1440p with ray tracing on high on a 3090. The fps really tanks in bastion but it is a consistent drop.
Yeah same here. Running 4K ray tracing on high. 4x masa maxed out I get between 80-100fps most of the time. Bastion does drop me, but been very smooth in mythics. Also running the latest nvidia drivers and firmware on the cx

What picture mode do you guys use: isf dark, game, or ??? Do the picture modes have any difference in terms of input lag?

What picture mode do you guys use: isf dark, game, or ??? Do the picture modes have any difference in terms of input lag?
Game seems to make a difference in input lag but it's a shit calibration out of the box and needs to be adjusted to match ISF Dark. I calibrated mine with a colorimeter and on my panel at least RTings listed settings were quite close, just put them in on Game instead of ISF Dark.

Reactions: MrTX
like this
Game seems to make a difference in input lag but it's a shit calibration out of the box and needs to be adjusted to match ISF Dark. I calibrated mine with a colorimeter and on my panel at least RTings listed settings were quite close, just put them in on Game instead of ISF Dark.
That's what I would use as a starting point as well, game mode with settings from ISF Dark. Game mode has the lowest input lag while the others have marginally higher lag with Instant Game Response enabled based on my testing with Doom Eternal at 4K 120 fps just moving around my viewpoint with my mouse.

like this
Game mode looks pretty good to me as long as you set contrast 85, sharpness 0, gamma to 2.2, and color warm2 as suggested earlier in this thread. I need to use my calorimeter still but I'm pretty happy w/ the stock settings as long as I make those adjustments.

like this
Are you turning the TV on _before_ your PC? I think nvidia cards have some issues with HDMI handshaking if the TV is off.
So turn on TV first?

Correction, I thought I disable "fast boot" but didn't save changes haha... will try again.

Last edited:
Reactions: elvn
like this
I realized that I only had fullscreen and not window fullscreened in the nvidia settings.

After that all good. FPS does drop some in Bastion for sure. Overall impressed though at max ultra settings with my 2080ti.

Yes I'd try turning the TV on first. I'd also try a different hdmi port on the TV for the hell of it. I'd avoid the eARC one until last.

Also a different 48gbps cable 6ft or less.

I never have trouble with mine turning on. I've been turning it off wherever I'm not running media for a while since I have two other screens to do desktop stuff on. I turn all three off if I'm leaving or going to sleep. I leave my pc on all of the time so reboot rarely. I've never seen an issue with the oled hdmi to hdmi even when booting but the TV is usually on already when I do.

The only screens that ever blink due to bad handshaking for me are the ones on display port adapters. One or the other (never both) will sometimes flash a bunch of times when I turn them on with the pc already(still) running. This doesn't happen very often but I don't like that it does since I'm afraid it could shorten the LCD backlight lifespan on those screens. At least I suspect that it contributed to the early demise of the cheaper tcl version I had on one side formerly, though it was probably just a matter of time before that cheaper screen's backlight would have died early anyway (just perhaps not quite as early as it did).

‐------------

Unrelated to that- I noticed that coming in and out of active HDR content (at times even when you don't want to) can be quite clunky on the oled too, at least when using multiple screens with the others displaying regular content.

edit : still experimenting with all three having hdr turned on in windows display settings, hoping to make it more seamless

Last edited:
So turn on TV first?

Correction, I thought I disable "fast boot" but didn't save changes haha... will try again.
Yes turn the TV on first :).

I never had a problem in Windows. But on Linux, the nvidia driver crashes (causing a hard lockup requiring a reboot) if the TV is off when I wake it up from DPMS off (with an HDMI handshake error). I have to be careful not to touch anything until I turn the TV on first. It may be related somehow.

I finally got 4k/120/8bpp/GSync working and it's just breathtaking. I am so happy to have purchased this display - I do wish it were a bit smaller, however the many, many superlative advantages more than offset the size issue for me which was an otherwise serious misgiving I had going into the purchase.

It's no surprise, but I certainly have had to go through a number of HDMI cables and still do not have a stable, error-free signal at 10bpp. (I am currently using a "8K/48GBps" labeled 9ft cable from a local store but who knows.)

Last edited:
Reactions: hhkb
like this
I finally got 4k/120/GSync working and it's just breathtaking. I am so happy to have purchased this display - I do wish it were a bit smaller, however the many, many superlative advantages more than offset the size issue for me. It's no surprise, but I certainly had to go through a number of HDMI cables and I still do not have a stable, error-free signal at 10bpp. (I am currently using a "8K/48GBps" labeled 9ft cable from a local store but who knows.)
Yep, the G-sync fix made this screen the ultimate screen for me. It's so smooth and low lag now. Best PC related purchase I ever made imo.

What kind of errors are you seeing though? That shouldn't be happening. If you're in EU, I highly recommend the kabeldirekt Ultra HD cables, I've used both the 2m and 3m and they have been flawless. (edit: Looks like they also sell those in the US on amazon.)

Back