LG 48CX

This is much better than my description. Thank you for being more clear for those trying to catch up.

I keep trying to change to 4:2:0 in NVCP, and it seems to stick, but I don't see the visual change of text looking more blurry to confirm it's made a difference. At the same time, games to seem to NOT be using the set 4:2:0 setting either causing them to still stutter.

How is everyone changing to 4:2:0 if not via NVCP? When you do, do you see the visual confirmation that the text is sharing pixels and looks a little blurrier?
In fullscreen exclusive mode, games will probably revert to RGB over 4:2:0 if the option is available at the selected resolution and refresh rate. Try borderless windowed mode with the desktop set to 4:2:0.

Spent some time to tweak the settings for minimal banding, using the spears munsil video and the lagom.nl test image.
First off, the sharpness setting causes banding. Very obvious effect, just turn it up and down with the test image/video. (needs to be set to 0 - lg's presets are often 15-25, so default settings cause quite a bit of banding). So while the sharpness on cx is actually quite good at it's job, it's really not worth using at all.
Secondly, in the current firmware at least (I'm on the .26), 10bit rgb full has worse banding than 10bit 444 limited. There was also some lg guy or so that had said this tv is designed for ycbcr444 (somewhere in the avsforum thread), so maybe that's the case.

Then there's contrast. contrast seems to have sweet spots for banding where some levels have more, others less. 100 is one of the best, and also helps with the black level crush, easy to test as well, just turn contrast up/down with the tests up.

10bit 444 limited, sharpness 0, contrast 100, best combination I found for gradients.
As a bonus, amazingly, after i switched to 444 limited 10bit, g-sync has simply worked. No need to glitch it. I fully expected it to stop working, but It has worked for 3 days straight without fail. (again, .26 firmware).

Why are you guys using a 118FPS cap (still bounces in and out of VRR range) and why are you enabling Vsync in game instead of via driver.

That's basically doing everything you're not suppose to for a smooth experience but in this case with Gsync busted on these TV's results in a smooth experience because you're regularly out of VRR and instead falling back on Vsync.

Anyone go from an Alienware AW3418DW to this 48" CX?

I think it'd feel way too big because I like the size of the 34" ultrawide I have now. Tell me your experience?
I did and I would do it again in a minute. The Alienware is a great monitor. I am enjoying 4k and am still working through HDR settings, but even if I do not use it, it is nice to have it available and as I dial in the settings, I am liking it more and more. My 2080ti ran everything I threw it at quite well and looked great, but the 3080/90 is the way to go unless AMD releases something as good or better. Everything looks better and I do not have to worry about the AAA titles that do not fully support UW. The colors are better, it "feels" more responsive and immersive and it is nice having the vertical pixels back.

I did and I would do it again in a minute. The Alienware is a great monitor. I am enjoying 4k and am still working through HDR settings, but even if I do not use it, it is nice to have it available and as I dial in the settings, I am liking it more and more. My 2080ti ran everything I threw it at quite well and looked great, but the 3080/90 is the way to go unless AMD releases something as good or better. Everything looks better and I do not have to worry about the AAA titles that do not fully support UW. The colors are better, it "feels" more responsive and immersive and it is nice having the vertical pixels back.
How are you dealing w/ the general darkness of an OLED for desktop? I find it to to just be darker no matter what settings I use.

After watching the AMD 6900xt launch and currently using twin 1080ti's on this monitor I'm leaning that way vs. the $500 more 3090. Any concerns I should have about going freesync with the cx48 vs gsync with it?

Hehe, you beat me by a second, my thoughts exactly. Are there any upfront reasons why freesync might be worse than gsync?

Not that I can think of. But I mean if gsync compatibility doesn't work then it shouldn't be surprising if Freesync on the CX is equally broken.

Hehe, you beat me by a second, my thoughts exactly. Are there any upfront reasons why freesync might be worse than gsync?

Not really, hardware g-sync is better but most people are getting "g-sync compatible" displays with no hardware module these days. So it's literally the same as Freesync, a software solution.

Going with the 6900xt, Gsync or Freesync it's obvious there will be problem and over some weeks to months iron it out

How are you dealing w/ the general darkness of an OLED for desktop? I find it to to just be darker no matter what settings I use
It is not something I have noticed. I tweaked some picture settings, but overall it is not a problem. I only use my PC at home for gaming and web browsing so I am not on it more than an hour or two during the week and maybe 4-5 hours on the weekends. Were I using it more frequently or serious work it might be different.

NVIDIA is already on it's second iteration of AI upscaling with DLSS 2.0 (as well as pushing raytracing tech for titles that have enough frame rate with or without DLSS). I haven't heard or seen any examples of end user AI upscaling (or raytracing) from AMD or from oculus for that matter, though most major companies like amd, oculus, apple, and console mfgs are supposedly working on AI upscaling tech too. The point is that it looks like NVIDIA is way ahead on those fronts similar to how it forced g-sync/vrr to market. DLSS is a deal maker/breaker for nvidia vs AMD for 4k resolutions on demanding AAA games imo.

In this death stranding video, the frame rate is around 60fpsHz -70fpsHz without DLSS at native 4k with TAA and around 90 - 100 fpsHz with 1400p DLSS quality upscaled to 4k .. and that's with a 2080Ti. DLSS has it's own AA also which is cleaner than TAA, and there are claims that DLSS looks more like downsampling 5k so ends up looking better than native resolution. Also remember that still-shot comparisons of native 4k rez vs quality DLSS, as well as 60fps youtube videos.. often fail to mention that parts of a frame rate graph that are 100fpsHz - 120fpsHz and better on a 120Hz monitor are also cutting the motion blur of viewport movement down 40% to 50% from lower Hz's smearing blur and are nearly doubling to doubling the motion definition (5:3 frames at 100fpsHz and 2:1 frames at 120fpsHz vs 60fpsHz 1:1 baseline). You can't show that in screen shots and 60fps youtube videos.

Debating the current pre-nov deals Costco Deal for the 48 CX. The nearest Costco is over an hour away so it would be + $60 express ship. Also +$60 membership signup fee to avoid a +5% ~$78 surcharge. So grand total would be $1610 incl the shipping, membership, and the "free" 3 or 5 year warranty (and $100 hulu gift card). I think the warranty actually goes +2 yrs by visa cc to 5 yrs with a visa checkout.

So the deal is for the warranty pretty much, and if the hulu card matters to you I guess. Someone on the slickdeals thread mention there is a 90 day return period so theoretically I could order one and keep it in the box until december to wait out better november deals potentially, returning it or optimally if it was costco with a better price later in november I could prob just price adjust within the 90days.

edit : according to some comments on slickdeals, only BestBuy's warranty covers burn-in
BestBuy:
extended holiday return period
When purchased now through Jan 2, you can return this item anytime until Jan 16.

Last edited:
Yeah but that's only if game developers actually decide to implement DLSS. Nvidia made promises of more game support but thing about nvidia is that they always make promises but don't always deliver. Sure if DLSS actually becomes widely adopted then I'll switch again but I am not buying a product based on future promises because that sure as hell turned out well for Turing now didn't it?

Debating the current pre-nov deals Costco Deal for the 48 CX. The nearest Costco is over an hour away so it would be + $60 express ship. Also +$60 membership signup fee to avoid a +5% ~$78 surcharge. So grand total would be $1610 incl the shipping, membership, and the "free" 3 or 5 year warranty (and $100 hulu gift card). I think the warranty actually goes +2 yrs by visa cc to 5 yrs with a visa checkout.

I had an accepted offer through greentoe of $1450 in July. If I was going to buy another one, I'd try offering them $1400 and see if any retailer bites. I've put in offers on 3 different tvs in the last couple years and it's always been the same, reputable retailer that I've dealt with.

Currently I own only one single game with good and useful DLSS implementation. And I buy a lot of games. There's more coming but not sure how many of those are games I'm actually interested in. But that could change very quickly.

Still almost certain to go nvidia (other than DLSS you also get RTX voice, the superior NVENC encoder etc.) because my experience with AMD has always been absolutely horrible with older games. But it's great to see competition and arguments at the top end of the stack again.

Currently I own only one single game with good and useful DLSS implementation. And I buy a lot of games. There's more coming but not sure how many of those are games I'm actually interested in. But that could change very quickly.

Still almost certain to go nvidia (other than DLSS you also get RTX voice, the superior NVENC encoder etc.) because my experience with AMD has always been absolutely horrible with older games. But it's great to see competition and arguments at the top end of the stack again.

Cyberpunk 2077 will have DLSS 2.0 so that's almost good enough reason alone for me to stick to nvidia. But if gsync problems are not resolved by the time it comes out and AMD turns out to have the superior VRR experience on the CX (no stuttering, etc.) then I'd rather play on AMD. Working VRR > DLSS 2.0.

for 4k 120Hz DLSS sound like the best option where available..

These are most of the ones I could find listed as having DLSS support:

Cyberpunk, watch dogs legion, Control, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XV, MechWarrior V: Mercs, Metro Exodus, Monster Hunter World, call of duty black ops Cold War, Fortnite, Marvel'sAvengers, Death Stranding, F1 2020, Control, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Minecraft RTX beta, Anthem. Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 and other misc like mount and blade II bannerlord, mortal shell (souls-like game) , Xuan-Yuan Sword VII (aarpg coming out), Ghost Runner, EdgeOfEternity(turn based RPG), Enlisted (squad 1st person MMO WW2 shooter), and a few others. Unfortunately no mention of DLSS for assassin's creed valhalla that I've seen yet so not looking likely on that title so far.

I might have missed a couple. I'll have to start an actual ordered list.

DLSS or some tech that is the child of it WILL be all that exists in the future. The reason for this is that at some point we WILL be rendering everything with full native ray tracing. The only way to provide "unlimited" lighting quality and detail is going to be to scale up from a fixed resolution. Sooner or later we will hit "peak" necessary resolution for gaming screens and it will equalize between desktop screens and VR headsets. The result will be a shift to maximizing lighting quality and frame rate, not resolution. We are close to that point now and that's why Nvidia is pushing these new techs now to get them up to speed and ready for when the time comes. I think we are within 5 years of this now.

for 4k 120Hz DLSS sound like the best option where available..

These are most of the ones I could find listed as having DLSS support:

Cyberpunk, watch dogs legion, Control, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy XV, MechWarrior V: Mercs, Metro Exodus, Monster Hunter World, call of duty black ops Cold War, Fortnite, Marvel'sAvengers, Death Stranding, F1 2020, Control, Wolfenstein Youngblood, Minecraft RTX beta, Anthem. Vampire the Masquerade - Bloodlines 2 and other misc like mount and blade II bannerlord, mortal shell (souls-like game) , Xuan-Yuan Sword VII (aarpg coming out), Ghost Runner, EdgeOfEternity(turn based RPG), Enlisted (squad 1st person MMO WW2 shooter), and a few others. Unfortunately no mention of DLSS for assassin's creed valhalla that I've seen yet so not looking likely on that title so far.

I might have missed a couple. I'll have to start an actual ordered list.

A lot of those games you listed are still using DLSS 1.0 which is nowhere as good as DLSS 2.0 and I would argue that it isn't even worth using if you care about "native resolution or better" only and won't settle for any lower quality upscaling methods. You yourself have always advocated against poor lower resolution upscaling saying it look's like smeared vasoline across the screen or mud or something so DLSS 1.0 should automatically be out of the running for you. Again, Death Stranding was the only game I've played that uses DLSS 2.0 so unless in the near future there is a huge library of games I am personally interested in that uses DLSS 2.0, I don't mind going with AMD for the time being (almost all the games on that list are games I don't have any interest in).

1603917340858.png

DLSS 1.0 is one of those methods that "look like poop"

Last edited:
Ah thanks for the clarification.

Coming from SLI , I'm used to leaning toward a more limited list of games that have higher frame rate support but yes the 2.0 list is very slim so far. I can definitely understand your perspective and especially that of other people who aren't using 4k 120hz screens or who are playing games with higher frame rates to begin with.

Still, any new tech pushes seem to be mainly spearheaded by nvidia's R&D.. gaming and/or display partnerships.

Some of the better DLSS 2.0 specific games:

I have a feeling that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be "The Game" to decided if AMD or Nvidia wins this round. Since Nvidia currently has DLSS and RT, which will both be supported on Cyberpunk 2077, I'm thinking that the definitive experience for Cyberpunk 2077 will be had on an RTX 20 or 30 series card.

That plus an LG CX... like seriously. Cyberpunk 2077 is going to look sick on the CX.

Was there any confirmation from AMD that the new cards would be HDMI 2.1? I mean of course we'd assume they are given the times...but they also included virtuallink so they aren't exactly with the times...

I have a feeling that Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be "The Game" to decided if AMD or Nvidia wins this round. Since Nvidia currently has DLSS and RT, which will both be supported on Cyberpunk 2077, I'm thinking that the definitive experience for Cyberpunk 2077 will be had on an RTX 20 or 30 series card.

That plus an LG CX... like seriously. Cyberpunk 2077 is going to look sick on the CX.

Right. But let's not forget we need a fix for gsync compatibility atm. If neither gsync nor freesync ends up working on the CX then yeah I'll have no reason to consider AMD anymore but right now we know that gsync is broken and that freesync on rdna 2 + CX remains to be seen. Could be stutter free, or could be the same mess.

Right. But let's not forget we need a fix for gsync compatibility atm. If neither gsync nor freesync ends up working on the CX then yeah I'll have no reason to consider AMD anymore but right now we know that gsync is broken and that freesync on rdna 2 + CX remains to be seen. Could be stutter free, or could be the same mess.
I almost want to grab an RX 6800 just for the hell of it.

I am looking into pulling the plug on the 48CX to use as a monitor for work and gaming. When mounted on wall, I would be about 40 inches from the TV. I am curious if anyone has a similar setup and if they feel that would be sitting too close for work purposes like web browsing, etc? Gaming, I can slide back some but for work, with the keyboard and mouse on desk, 40 inches is where I will be.

Any feedback would be appreciated!

I used to use a 47" 1080p monitor as my primary monitor and gaming screen (about 10 years ago). It was one of the first VA TVs that would do 4:4:4. Used it with no complaints for several years. I only relegated it to a side screen after going deep into some more competitive online games and finding that the input lag on the set was about 75ms. That's "ok" for single player games but not competitive for online shooters or rocket league.

Currently, I have a 1440p 27" IPS HDR 144hz in front of me gaming that has super low input lag, and the 47" is still there a few feet away to the side for showing browser windows or videos/movies while I game on the main one.

I just ordered the CX48 and will now go back to the original setup this weekend when it arrives. The screen will be my main monitor about 50-58 inches away from me on the far side of an executive size desk up against a wall. I have no problem with the large screen at that distance. It's "just barely" adequate for being able to pick up the entire screen space except for maybe the edges of the extreme corners without moving your head. That part is great for any use including reading as long as you can set screen scaling. The reason I'm finally doing it again now is because FINALLY the CX combines it all: best picture, low input lag, 120hz and HDR while in 4:4:4.... and hopefully GSYNC too if they can just sort it out. I'll be pretty disappointed if that can't be fixed.

Nanorris88 - I would call 40" away as close as you'd want to get. You might think it's ok. That's borderline to where you just don't see ANYTHING but the screen space and when watching bright images it'll seem overwhelming and harder on the eyes. But like I said, that's possibly ok but I wouldn't go any closer. Try to arrange it so it's a little more.

I am looking into pulling the plug on the 48CX to use as a monitor for work and gaming. When mounted on wall, I would be about 40 inches from the TV. I am curious if anyone has a similar setup and if they feel that would be sitting too close for work purposes like web browsing, etc? Gaming, I can slide back some but for work, with the keyboard and mouse on desk, 40 inches is where I will be.

I have it on a stand about 4 feet away. I need to use 150% display scaling and it looks about the same as my 27" X27 at 1.5 feet away.

I have a floor stand at 41" away for gaming and software engineering work. However, I still have it at 1440p resolution.

I sit closer than that, mainly because my current setup does not let me put it further away. It's very large but in general fine. Most apps you just don't want to use fullscreen so think of the large size and desktop as a canvas for putting several smaller windows.

For web browsing I have started using Vivaldi because it has good window splitting options of its own for seeing a few tabs side by side and a lot of customizability.

quick question, currently this thing is hooked up on my laptop workstation and I could only run it on 4k 30hz. Is this because my laptop limited to output 60hz on hdmi 4k? On 1080p however, I could use 120hz. sorry for the noob question. TIA

quick question, currently this thing is hooked up on my laptop workstation and I could only run it on 4k 30hz. Is this because my laptop limited to output 60hz on hdmi 4k? On 1080p however, I could use 120hz. sorry for the noob question. TIA
You need to check the supported resolutions/refresh rates for your laptop and what version of HDMI output it has. Without HDMI 2.1 output which no laptop has you are limited to 4K 60 Hz at best.

You need to check the supported resolutions/refresh rates for your laptop and what version of HDMI output it has. Without HDMI 2.1 output which no laptop has you are limited to 4K 60 Hz at best.
That's the thing, I have the 2.1 HDMI and using that but even with custom res, says exceeds my maximum bandwidth capacity, while my other monitor hooked up from HDMI to display port runs fine on 2560x1440 60hz.

I suspect AMD cards will work just fine as there are no bad reports on XSX or PS5. I really hope I'm not wrong here..

Back