• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

My boy took my shit away. Horizon zero dawn at 4k 60 hdr on a 2070 super max settings. I can tell its not locked 60 but gsync seems to be doing its job. Feels a hell of a lot smoother than the ps4 pro. Not to mention the image quality difference.

Can't wait for 3080 stock or 6800xt reviews.
maxresdefault.jpg
 
Well we have paid for a gsync oled , wich doesn’t work fine , so why pay more for something that doesn’t work as it should do?
Because I mainly bought it for the OLED, HDR and 55" part.

G-Sync works fine up to 100Hz it seems which - right now - is enough for me as I can't push AAA titles beyond 120Hz anyways. And eve then 4:2:0 120Hz would be better than what I currently get on my 2070 Super.. The OLED for me is just for casual, fun, relaxed gaming entertainment.. thay being said: 444 RGB 120Hz VRR and DV raised blacks need to be fixed. Period.

The only things I'm interested competitively nowadays would be simracing, but that's reserved for VR - which again I want something more powerful for than my 2070S..

So yeah, I'm stupid hungry for something to sink another 1k into. nVidia failed hard, both in pricing for the 3090 and availability of the 3080. That's the third botched launch in a row for team green - so let's see what team red can offer..
 
Is it 120hz in general thats broken or just with gsync? Because if it's just gsync... when I can secure a new card. Ill just turn off gsync.

The lcd smearing bothered me more than tearing anyway.

Even with out gsync. Id pick the cx over the Asus pg348q ultrawide I replaced every day of the week.
 
Is it 120hz in general thats broken or just with gsync? Because if it's just gsync... when I can secure a new card. Ill just turn off gsync.

The lcd smearing bothered me more than tearing anyway.

Even with out gsync. Id pick the cx over the Asus pg348q ultrawide I replaced every day of the week.

Seems like running triple digit fps (so 100+) fps causes stuttering, but only when running 10Bit 444 at the same time. People have said that dropping back to 8Bit 420 resolves the stuttering problem. The other issue is noticeable flickering if you are running near the bottom end of the VRR window (so 40-50) fps, this happens even if are you running 8Bit 420 like I am. So for now, as long as you run well above 60fps and in 8Bit 420 then you shouldn't be having any major issues with gsync.
 
4K120 4:4:4 10-bit runs great. It only runs into issues (at the moment) if you enable gsync. Even then, if you stay under 100 FPS, it's fine. You can also run 4K120 4:2:0 8-bit and gsync runs great there. It just feels like LG is having some issues when having really high bandwidth signals + gsync sent to it.
 
4K120 4:4:4 10-bit runs great. It only runs into issues (at the moment) if you enable gsync. Even then, if you stay under 100 FPS, it's fine. You can also run 4K120 4:2:0 8-bit and gsync runs great there. It just feels like LG is having some issues when having really high bandwidth signals + gsync sent to it.
The more I think about it, the more I think the issue is that the TVs processor might not be able to keep up with what is being sent to it when VRR is enabled. Would explain why dropping chroma down to 4:2:0 or lowing the maximum refresh rate "fixes" it. If so, they could probably optimize things a bit more and push it as a FW update.
 
Unfortunately the HDR situation isn't cut and dry in Windows. I prefer to leave HDR off on the desktop, set my HDR games to full screen mode, and then when you turn on HDR in the game it will kick on HDR on the screen only when the game is running and fullscreen. Automatic... easy... and SDR content will look best this way.

But, there are a few games that only enable HDR if the Windows slider is already "on". So, you have to just live with this and be ready to turn it on and off as needed in Windows, OR try to leave HDR mode on in Windows and get your SDR brightness slider set as properly as you can. I don't consider this ideal... but it's not terrible.
Yeah, but some titles absolutely hate the Windows OSD with HDR enabled, causing the display to briefly blank as the display switches to SDR then immediately back to HDR. In theory, Borderless Fullscreen should address this, but at least one title I own (CoD: Warzone) this does *not* work and I have to play in an actual fullscreen window for HDR to work properly.

And don't even get me started on older titles that don't have a clue what HDR even is.

So yeah, the HDR situation in Windows is *not* ideal.
 
Hello,

I have been a long time reader but first time posting here.
I recently decided to go for it and ordered the LG OLED 48CX
I hope to pair it with a RTX 3080 when ever that ships I ordered a moth ago but still no shipping date.....

I understand that VRR grey black shift issue probably wont be fixed maybe lessened if we are lucky.
But because every other comparative monitor runs well over 2 000 euros. Yes VRR would work better, maybe less ghosting and I would probably get better color accuracy but loose on contrast and black depth I decided that the trade off is worth it.

But I have some questions on how to set it up.
I hope you guys are willing to help me out a bit here.
1. I really dislike headphones I want 5.1.2 sounds so I was thinking to pair this with a Samsung HW-Q950T. Would this work if I connect the 3080 to the 48CX then use the EARK port to connect to the Samsung HW-Q950T. I know that to get Atmos to work I need to buy the APP from Microsoft store. I read that there is a sound lag using this method? Does this only happen at high FPS?
As I understand all AVR right now have a HDMI 2.1 hardware bug so I can not connect to the AVR then to the TV 48CX.
Is anybody using this or a similar setup using the EARK port?
As I understand I can use a normal 18gig cable to connect the TV to a sound bar no need for a 48gig cable?
2. I am confused by all the topics on 48gig HDMI cables not working. Why is this shouldn't all cables rated at 48gigs work to carry the full 4k 120HZ signal? I know that there is no official certification for HDMI 2.1 cables exists but shouldn't any 48gig cable work?
I do not need a long cable 2m will do it. Do I really need to spend 100 or 200 euros on a cable? I mean all those cables are digital right? So there should be no real difference if it has the required 48gig bandwith? No?
Would a normal cable like this one work?
Cable Matters 3-Pack 48Gbps Ultra 8K HDMI Cable with 8K@120Hz and HDR Support for PS5, Xbox Series X/S, RTX 3080 / RTX 3090, AMD RX 6800 / RX 6900, Apple TV and More - 2m
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Cable-Matters-3-Pack-48Gbps-Support/dp/B081NXV3ZR/ref=sr_1_8?crid=XQGZB21MYACG&dchild=1&keywords=cable+matters+3er-pack+48gbps+ultra+8k+hdmi-kabel&qid=1604362116&sprefix=Cable+Matters+3-Pack+48Gbps,aps,225&sr=8-8&th=1
Or do I really need some sort of special cable? If so could someone recommend me a cable that would work?
3. Lastly is there some sort of guide how to set this up for PC use?
I know that I have to:
Switch to PC mode
Cap the VRR herz at 115 or 90 until the patch hits
Set the resolution in the Nvidia control panel
What about HDR how do I set that up?
What about overdrive should I use it or no set to auto?
Any other settings that I should change colors brightness or something else?

Thank you for your time guys
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
MacOS is great at handling font rendering in a sensible way even if it does not support BGR. You can just disable RGB subpixel AA and it works fine without becoming the odd shit Windows does with Cleartype disabled.

But where it just fails so hard is that it has no toggles for bit depth or chroma subsampling. So what does it do on my new work MBP 2019? It defaults to 4K 10-bit 4:2:0! And there is no way to change that to run at 8-bit 4:4:4! All the fixes for this are stuff like EDID overrides. I will probably have to try to dump EDID from Windows, use CRU to remove 10-bit support and see if I can get it loaded as an EDID override in MacOS.

I never had this issue with my MBP 2016 simply because it did not support things like HDR. Speaking of which, HDR support is just not visible as an option as it's yet another thing MacOS "smartly" detects whether it shows or not, just like upscaling resolutions! Even apps like SwitchResX can't toggle bit depth, chroma subsampling or HDR support.

EDIT: Just for shits and giggles I tried using my CableMatters USB-C to DP 1.4 adapter with the Club3D DP 1.4 -> HDMI 2.1 adapter. Surprisingly it works just fine, but suffers from the same issues as the USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter. I am guessing the problem is with the display EDID.

EDIT2: Solved this by editing the EDID in Custom Resolution Utility and removing references to 10 and 12 bit color. Stupid but it works. HDR option is still absent.
 
Last edited:


Just to clarify, does this gamma issue only manifest when VRR is enabled? If I disable VRR, and I use vsync to lock 60Hz or 120Hz, I assume there is no issue because the screen is still refreshing at 120Hz as long as VRR is disabled?

I have one of these on the way (finally) and this gives me pause. If it's OK at 60Hz and 120Hz without VRR, it may still be OK for me. Hmmm.
 
But that's only for console VRR correct ? Gsync at 120hz should be fixed in the next firmware ?
 
He wasn't talking about VRR/G-sync stuttering at over 100fpsHZ.. He's talking about raised blacks when VRR is enabled, which happens because of fpsHz fluctuating below 120fpsHZ. He suspects no fix until a new model line of LG OLED TV (next year?) as it would require a new hardware scaling capable of the different gammas for different Hz.

He said the LG OLED TV's gamma are optimized for 120hz so when your frame rate fluctuates on a roller coaster of actual frame rates +/- from your frame rate average, the oled emitters remain overcharged. So they are brighter throughout the frame rate graph and gameplay since the frame rate goes down (and up) constantly.

I don't know if the rasied black amount could be minimized by running a frame rate graph whose bottom was more like 100fpsHZ.. for example

100fpsHZ <<<<< 117fpsHz average (120fpsHz average capped to 117) >>> capped so no higher here

Some games only "droop" 15fps from average... but others do -30fps from average so those might be worse overcharging even with close to 120fpsHz average.

Having to keep a frame rate so close to the cap would really reduce the value of using VRR in the first place though unfortunately.

--------------

That said the raised blacks probably aren't that bad or more people would be complaining about them. I've heard it's like 1 notch worth on a "move the slider until you can barely see this symbol" menu in games. Most noticeable in a proper dim to dark viewing environment.
 
Last edited:
He wasn't talking about VRR/G-sync stuttering at over 100fpsHZ.. He's talking about raised blacks when VRR is enabled, which happens because of fpsHz fluctuating below 120fpsHZ. He suspects no fix until a new model line of LG OLED TV (next year?) as it would require a new hardware scaling capable of the different gammas for different Hz.

He said the LG OLED TV's gamma are optimized for 120hz so when your frame rate fluctuates on a roller coaster of actual frame rates +/- from your frame rate average, the oled emitters remain overcharged. So they are brighter throughout the frame rate graph and gameplay since the frame rate goes down (and up) constantly.

I don't know if the rasied black amount could be minimized by running a frame rate graph whose bottom was more like 100fpsHZ.. for example

100fpsHZ <<<<< 117fpsHz average (120fpsHz average capped to 117) >>> capped so no higher here

Some games only "droop" 15fps from average... but others do -30fps from average so those might be worse overcharging even with close to 120fpsHz average.

Having to keep a frame rate so close to the cap would really reduce the value of using VRR in the first place though unfortunately.

--------------

That said the raised blacks probably aren't that bad or more people would be complaining about them. I've heard it's like 1 notch worth on a "move the slider until you can barely see this symbol" menu in games. Most noticeable in a proper dim to dark viewing environment.

That could be possible. Most games I been playing on my CX are ones that I could run at pretty high fps off a 2080 Ti and honestly raised near blacks hasn't been any sort of eyesore issue for me. You really don't want to be running in the lower end of the VRR window anyways or else you start to get noticeable flickering. Pretty sure it still flickers at higher fps but probably it's probably more subtle so it's unnoticeable. I failed to notice any flickering until I started playing GW2 and it was running in the 40's fps so it's possible that raised near blacks become more obvious the further away from 120Hz you are. If anything, the raised black level in dolby vision is more of an eyesore vs VRR raised near blacks...it's almost like you're watching on an IPS panel or something with grey blacks.
 
He wasn't talking about VRR/G-sync stuttering at over 100fpsHZ.. He's talking about raised blacks when VRR is enabled, which happens because of fpsHz fluctuating below 120fpsHZ. He suspects no fix until a new model line of LG OLED TV (next year?) as it would require a new hardware scaling capable of the different gammas for different Hz.

He said the LG OLED TV's gamma are optimized for 120hz so when your frame rate fluctuates on a roller coaster of actual frame rates +/- from your frame rate average, the oled emitters remain overcharged. So they are brighter throughout the frame rate graph and gameplay since the frame rate goes down (and up) constantly.

I don't know if the rasied black amount could be minimized by running a frame rate graph whose bottom was more like 100fpsHZ.. for example

100fpsHZ <<<<< 117fpsHz average (120fpsHz average capped to 117) >>> capped so no higher here

Some games only "droop" 15fps from average... but others do -30fps from average so those might be worse overcharging even with close to 120fpsHz average.

Having to keep a frame rate so close to the cap would really reduce the value of using VRR in the first place though unfortunately.

--------------

That said the raised blacks probably aren't that bad or more people would be complaining about them. I've heard it's like 1 notch worth on a "move the slider until you can barely see this symbol" menu in games. Most noticeable in a proper dim to dark viewing environment.


Yeah, the way I understand it is the further you get from the max refresh rate the more lifted the blacks can become. So if you were only averaging lower fps you could fix this by settings the refresh rate lower.

For example if you're only getting 50 FPS you could switch from 4k@120hz VRR signal to a 4k@60hz VRR signal to minimize it.

It's basically the same problem a lot of the freesync monitors have with pixel overdrive. The GSYNC hardware module varies the overdrive based on the frame rate, and most freesync monitors don't have that capability.
 
Yeah, the way I understand it is the further you get from the max refresh rate the more lifted the blacks can become. So if you were only averaging lower fps you could fix this by settings the refresh rate lower.

For example if you're only getting 50 FPS you could switch from 4k@120hz VRR signal to a 4k@60hz VRR signal to minimize it.

It's basically the same problem a lot of the freesync monitors have with pixel overdrive. The GSYNC hardware module varies the overdrive based on the frame rate, and most freesync monitors don't have that capability.

Yeah the Gsync module was absolutely worth it. It was pretty irritating to see people hate on it saying it was no better than freesync but being charged a premium regardless. The experience of having a gsync module vs no gsync module is more than worth the price increase that comes with it as the experience is just flat out better.
 
  • Like
Reactions: elvn
like this
It's about distance. If you want to not move your head around you need to get it out away from you. Anywhere from 48-60" away. Depends on what you like. Mine is at about 56"... yes I use text scaling. I have two large panels on my desk that are at middle distance vision.
 
All this raised black issue and flickering when frame rate drops only pertains to 4k? Or is it the same problem in 1440p?
 
Yeah, the way I understand it is the further you get from the max refresh rate the more lifted the blacks can become. So if you were only averaging lower fps you could fix this by settings the refresh rate lower.

For example if you're only getting 50 FPS you could switch from 4k@120hz VRR signal to a 4k@60hz VRR signal to minimize it.

It's basically the same problem a lot of the freesync monitors have with pixel overdrive. The GSYNC hardware module varies the overdrive based on the frame rate, and most freesync monitors don't have that capability.

Vincent said the panel gamma is calibrated for 120hz ~ 8.3ms frames.. so the farther from that you get from that with VRR, the more over-energized the frames are because their durations are longer.

Would it be possible to set the display to lower Hz as you are suggesting, then calibrate the gamma manually to a lower start point at 100Hz or 60Hz as far as the ODS settings go? - I'm not sure that there isn't a curve built in to the TV's hardware/scaler based on the 120hz scale that would take priority when VRR is active from what Vincent was saying in that video...
 
Vincent said the panel gamma is calibrated for 120hz ~ 8.3ms frames.. so the farther from that you get from that with VRR, the more over-energized the frames are because their durations are longer.

Would it be possible to set the display to lower Hz as you are suggesting, then calibrate the gamma manually to a lower start point at 100Hz or 60Hz as far as the ODS settings go? - I'm not sure that there isn't a curve built in to the TV's hardware/scaler based on the 120hz scale that would take priority when VRR is active from what Vincent was saying in that video...

I don't think VRR mode is calibrated for 120hz. I think it's actually calibrated to whatever the maximum hz signal you send it. So when you're sending it a 120hz signal it's calibrated for 120hz. When you send it a 60hz signal it's calibrated for 60hz, etc. They didn't factor VRR into the equation.
 
Yeah the Gsync module was absolutely worth it. It was pretty irritating to see people hate on it saying it was no better than freesync but being charged a premium regardless. The experience of having a gsync module vs no gsync module is more than worth the price increase that comes with it as the experience is just flat out better.
Because it's handling all the processing. In theory, you could do everything in SW within the firmware, but there's a LOT of really time-sensitive processing that would need to be honored. The Gsync module removes that as a limitation.

I said from the beginning that Gsync was the superior solution, since it handled these types of cases correctly and would guarantee the same level of performance across all displays.
 
The only thing you can do at this point is see whether or not the raised near blacks actually bother you or not. It's pretty obvious that not everyone is bothered by this, or even notices it to begin with. Then you got those who claims it's super obvious and makes everything "look like shit". Funny because it only affects near blacks and absolute black value of 0 is still black so I don't get the whole argument that "black is no longer black" with VRR enabled when black level of 0 is completely unaffected by this :rolleyes:
 
This is all when VRR(Gsync) is on. Don't use it, and you don't have these issues. I'm not as pessimistic that LG can't still improve the situation, but I've lived without GSYNC until now and I can live longer if I have to. The image quality is still so good I'd be hard pressed to give it up and go back to something else if VRR won't deliver.

BUT- It'll still piss me off greatly at this price point. So LG certainly still needs to keep working on it if they expect me to buy another one of these in a few years. They need to get up to speed on this tech and figure it out.
 
This is all when VRR(Gsync) is on. Don't use it, and you don't have these issues. I'm not as pessimistic that LG can't still improve the situation, but I've lived without GSYNC until now and I can live longer if I have to. The image quality is still so good I'd be hard pressed to give it up and go back to something else if VRR won't deliver.

BUT- It'll still piss me off greatly at this price point. So LG certainly still needs to keep working on it if they expect me to buy another one of these in a few years. They need to get up to speed on this tech and figure it out.
This is exactly what was going through my head. They've lost me on false promises and under delivering plasmas about 10 years (or longer?) ago and they will lose me again as a customer if they don't get behind it.

I would have gone for something else - if anything at all would have come close feature wise but I once again feel like I got fooled by them, even though I'm currently not affected by any of those problems.
 
I don't think VRR mode is calibrated for 120hz. I think it's actually calibrated to whatever the maximum hz signal you send it. So when you're sending it a 120hz signal it's calibrated for 120hz. When you send it a 60hz signal it's calibrated for 60hz, etc. They didn't factor VRR into the equation.
This might be one of the reasons I haven't noticed the shift as much when using VRR; I've had the TV set at 4K100Hz

But at least for PC resolutions in the NVIDIA panel, 100Hz is the lowest option at 4K. So even if this panel is calibrated at different refresh rates, I don't think 4K60Hz will be a solution
 
It'll be curious to see if LG have a hardware fix for overcharging the pixels in VRR with the C11 line (and 48Gbps). Sony and Panasonic should finally have their HDMI 2.1 48" version out next year as well.
 
Updated firmware to the latest it offered me: 03.11.25, put the 3090 in and... 120hz looks totally off. It seems to have some slight chroma subsampling with RGB and text looks a little strange, as if stretched/blurred or something (pixel shift has been turned on and off to no avail, I think it might be the same look 120hz used to have with pixel shift on but I can't remember exactly). Even 120hz 4:2:0 looks worse than before (or 1440p 120hz which used to be flawless). Wth?

60hz still looks absolutely perfect. And switching back and forth between 120hz RGB/4:2:0 etc. can sometimes cause a "no signal" screen. Yikes.
 
Updated firmware to the latest it offered me: 03.11.25, put the 3090 in and... 120hz looks totally off. It seems to have some slight chroma subsampling with RGB and text looks a little strange, as if stretched/blurred or something (pixel shift has been turned on and off to no avail, I think it might be the same look 120hz used to have with pixel shift on but I can't remember exactly). Even 120hz 4:2:0 looks worse than before (or 1440p 120hz which used to be flawless). Wth?

60hz still looks absolutely perfect. And switching back and forth between 120hz RGB/4:2:0 etc. can sometimes cause a "no signal" screen. Yikes.
Check the HDMI diagnostics to see what you are actually receiving on the display at 4K 120 Hz. Make sure pixel shift is off and quickstart+ is off so that pixel shift does not re-enable itself.
 
Quickstart is off, had to do that before to fix pixel shift turning itself back on. Anyway I just did a full reset of the TV and it's still happening.

Ok, HDMI diagnostics shows the resolution as 4096x2160 which explains it (not sure this would affect the chroma though, but maybe it's just the scaling that makes it look off). Why is this now happening when I select any resolution listed under PC? :(
 
Quickstart is off, had to do that before to fix pixel shift turning itself back on. Anyway I just did a full reset of the TV and it's still happening.

Ok, HDMI diagnostics shows the resolution as 4096x2160 which explains it (not sure this would affect the chroma though, but maybe it's just the scaling that makes it look off). Why is this now happening when I select any resolution listed under PC? :(
It should not. For me it reports 3840x2160 as it should. I use the Club3D adapter though but even on an actual HDMI 2.1 port it should still have the correct res. Try if setting it from Windows Display Settings works better for some reason.
 
Yep at 60hz it reports 3840x2160 just fine. And before the GPU upgrade and firmware upgrade it worked just fine at 120hz.

Doing it through Windows gives the same result at >60hz (and Windows even shows "active signal 4096x2160"...).

Did a clean video drivers install, reboot, and plugged into a different HDMI port on the GPU and still no go. I'll try a different HDMI port on the TV too. edit: didn't help

Could I just edit the EDID and get rid of this useless 4096x2160 res maybe? I'm a little scared of breaking something. Wish I could just downgrade the firmware but to my knowledge that is not an option.

Edit 2 : OK it's some nvidia scaling bug. I have to use aspect ratio/display AFTER switching to 120hz to fix it.

Means integer scaling is not usable for me at >60hz for now. Well I don't exactly need it right now but this is a really silly bug.
 
Last edited:
Are you using RGB or YCbCr 4:4:4 when you hooked up only to PC to play games or to watch some movies via some pc media players. Is there any noticeable difference ? I found so many conflicted answers for this.
 
The VRR raised blacks thing is super obvious to me in any medium to very dark game. As soon as you move the camera everything dark lifts in brightness and is a once you see it can't unsee type of thing.

TBH I don't think most people will notice it but it's basically ruined a near flawless display for me. Hopefully they can at least implement some kind of ghetto fix to mitigate it even 50%.
 
Last edited:
The VRR raised blacks thing is super obvious to me in any medium to very dark game. As soon as you move the camera everything dark lifts in brightness and is a once you see it can't unsee type of thing.

TBH I don't think most people will notice it but it's basically ruined a near flawless display for me. Hopefully they can at least implement some kind of ghetto fix to mitigate it even 50%>
Not sure that LG will provide a band-aid solution with a firmware update.
But I think that this can be partially mitigated by manually calibrating the monitor... someone may provide settings that will partially mitigate this (e.g. something that works well at 90hz).

It is disappointing that VRR and deep black are mutually exclusive as these are key selling points for this monitor
 
Back
Top