• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

LG 48CX

Costco have them but it's the Allstate warranty. I think that is square trade? No good. 48" is already too large, I fear a 55" has less pixel density, and is way too big for my desk. I was going to use it primarily for a monitor then a gaming monitor. Read all the threads for the past 2 weeks. It's been a steep learning curve. The most important things I have learned and remember are :
1. Buy the 48" with the Fitueyes stand.
2. Don't use PC mode, rather choose game console and do some chroma subsampling, so as to get 4k @ 120hz. (Or use that club 3d adapter?)
3. Use native apps to watch any HDR or Dolby vision content. Not the web browser
4. Do a pixel refresh every night before bed? Or play lots of moving content after a static session?
5. Standard mode looks too bluish, so use expert with warm 2 mode. Gamma 2.2, HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color, Instant game mode on.
6. Wait to buy a GTX 2.1, till they iron out flickering bugs?

correct me if I am wrong.
 
I always have VSync enabled. With G-SYNC disabled, the game stutters even at a locked 118 fps (and stutters worse at lower values). With G-SYNC enabled, 118 fps is smooth like 120 fps VSync. So G-SYNC is definitely working.
I've been reading your posts throughout the last 10 pages of this thread and it seems like you are getting more to work than most. Just to verify, You are able to get 4:4:4 10 bit WITH and without HDR Gsync working smoothly all the way up to 120 FPS?

I'm doing all of my testing with Destiny 2 at the moment. Without HDR I can have all those settings and everything is smooth except for between 111-119. With HDR I can't even get smooth in the 90s. I've tried unchecking that enable hardware checkbox in the gsyc settings area as you recommended, but that made everything WAY worse. Trying to figure out what I'm missing that's giving you all successful results, but I can't get smooth gameplay no matter what combo of settings I try.

Edit: I'm on .25 firmware btw. RTX 3090. Zeskit 6 foot 8k cable
Edit 2: I did more testing, and with disable fullscreen optimization checked I'm able to get smooth HDR in 444 10bit with all fps except 111-119.
 
Last edited:
55"? Man you'd have to sit like atleast 5' back...
My eyes are 3.5 feet from this 55" q80 that I'm using until my cx 48 comes in.

I have to lean back and look up to see the top of the screen. It would be a little better if I wall mounted it and dropped it to keyboard level.

With a wall mount and scooting the desk back a bit. It would be fine.
I don't think I will have to scoot my desk back with the cx48 after I wall mount it.

I would definitely recommend the 48". The height difference is almost 3.5" less.
 
I've been reading your posts throughout the last 10 pages of this thread and it seems like you are getting more to work than most. Just to verify, You are able to get 4:4:4 10 bit WITH and without HDR Gsync working smoothly all the way up to 120 FPS?

I'm doing all of my testing with Destiny 2 at the moment. Without HDR I can have all those settings and everything is smooth except for between 111-119. With HDR I can't even get smooth in the 90s. I've tried unchecking that enable hardware checkbox in the gsyc settings area as you recommended, but that made everything WAY worse. Trying to figure out what I'm missing that's giving you all successful results, but I can't get smooth gameplay no matter what combo of settings I try.

Edit: I'm on .25 firmware btw. RTX 3090. Zeskit 6 foot 8k cable
Also note that when people say they don't notice stutter, they're either they're not playing fast paced FPS type games, they're eyes just can't tell, or they're in denial. I've done every combination w/ my 3080, Zeskit cable, and CX.
 
Also note that when people say they don't notice stutter, they're either they're not playing fast paced FPS type games, they're eyes just can't tell, or they're in denial. I've done every combination w/ my 3080, Zeskit cable, and CX.
Are you saying you are in the same boat as me? That's bittersweet to hear. That it's possibly not me doing it wrong, but also means it's currently not fixable.

So I did more testing and am able to get smooth gameplay at all fps, even in 444 10 bit hdr, except for 111-119. So I figured if I change my refresh rate to 100 in nvcp then I would never hit that range and could be fine until new firmware. But for some reason with that combo, I now end up with stutters in the 90s range, while that range was fine while at 120hz. Doesn't make any sense to me.

So what settings are you using to act as the best possible experience until new firmware is released?
 
Either it was stutter or gsync acting wonky but COD MW BR never felt smooth to me regardless of the settings I tried.
 
I've never felt CODWZ was smooth either, but my testing has been with Destiny 2, which was definitely smooth with my x27. So Have you picked settings that make other games besides COD smooth?
 
I've been reading your posts throughout the last 10 pages of this thread and it seems like you are getting more to work than most. Just to verify, You are able to get 4:4:4 10 bit WITH and without HDR Gsync working smoothly all the way up to 120 FPS?
I always run 4K 120 Hz 10-bit RGB with HDR & G-SYNC (Display Specific settings unchecked) enabled on the desktop and in games. I enable Vsync in-game, and use the in-game fps limiter or NVCP to cap the frame rate to 118.

For G-SYNC to work, you must first enable G-SYNC with Display Specific settings checked, hit Apply, uncheck Display Specific settings, and hit Apply again. You must do this every time the display turns off. If you directly enable G-SYNC with Display Specific settings unchecked, it won't work.

When G-SYNC is working, the CX says VRR and the Hz value should be locked to 5.5 or 5.4 at 118 fps.

There should be no performance hit with HDR enabled. You probably have a software / driver issue.
 
Last edited:
Also note that when people say they don't notice stutter, they're either they're not playing fast paced FPS type games, they're eyes just can't tell, or they're in denial. I've done every combination w/ my 3080, Zeskit cable, and CX.
Except that it starts stuttering at 118 fps when I disable G-SYNC. I'm testing CS: GO and Dota 2. Panning the camera with the arrow keys in Dota 2 is an easy test for stutter and tearing.

120+ fps No Vsync + No G-SYNC = Smooth, Tearing, No Input Lag
120 fps Vsync + No G-SYNC = Smooth, No Tearing, Input Lag
120 fps Vsync + G-SYNC = Smooth, No Tearing, Input Lag
118 fps No Vsync + No G-SYNC = Smooth, Tearing, No Input Lag
118 fps Vsync + No G-SYNC = Stutter, No Tearing, Input Lag
118 fps Vsync + G-SYNC = Smooth, No Tearing, No Input Lag
 
Last edited:
Except that it starts stuttering at 118 fps when I disable G-SYNC. I'm testing CS: GO and Dota 2. Panning the camera with the arrow keys in Dota 2 is an easy test for stutter and tearing.

120+ fps No Vsync + No G-SYNC = Smooth, Tearing, No Input Lag
120 fps Vsync + No G-SYNC = Smooth, No Tearing, Input Lag
120 fps Vsync + G-SYNC = Smooth, No Tearing, Input Lag
118 fps No Vsync + No G-SYNC = Smooth, Tearing, No Input Lag
118 fps Vsync + No G-SYNC = Stutter, No Tearing, Input Lag
118 fps Vsync + G-SYNC = Smooth, No Tearing, No Input Lag
Depending on your GPU, CS:GO and Dota are both very easy to run games at 4k 120. They would likely run hundreds of fps higher if unlocked. Have you tested this in any more demanding games that would actually fluctuate in fps because of variation in performance demand? What GPU do you have?
 
Depending on your GPU, CS:GO and Dota are both very easy to run games at 4k 120. They would likely run hundreds of fps higher if unlocked. Have you tested this in any more demanding games that would actually fluctuate in fps because of variation in performance demand? What GPU do you have?
Ya, the real test of Gsync is SUB refresh rate frames. Vsync gets rid of tearing, and Gsync gets rid of stutter. But at 118 or 120 fps with a game running with solid frametimes, you'll hardly notice stutter; Gsync on or off

The reason 100+ fps stutter is so noticeable right now on the CX is because Gsync is bugged and giving us a different type of stutter than your typical Vsync stutter. The other time stutter is very noticeable is stressful games with wildly inconsistent frametimes. Games like CS:GO or Dota don't fit that bill. You can see the Gsync stutter here:

https://twitter.com/headphoneninja/status/1315067792664784902?s=20

I haven't seen anyone else on this thread, reddit, or other forums, having success with ANY 4:4:4 10bit Gsync. So for most of us, we're just going to have to wait. Gsync is introducing stutter at all framerates right now, it's just more noticeable at 100+. The only way to completely fix it is 4:2:0 8bit

https://twitter.com/anfernee80/status/1314955572832329729?s=20
 
Last edited:
Ya, the real test of Gsync is SUB refresh rate frames. Vsync gets rid of tearing, and Gsync gets rid of stutter. But at 118 or 120 fps with a game running with solid frametimes, you'll hardly notice stutter; Gsync on or off

The reason 100+ fps stutter is so noticeable right now on the CX is because Gsync is bugged and giving us a different type of stutter than your typical Vsync stutter. The other time stutter is very noticeable is stressful games with wildly inconsistent frametimes. Games like CS:GO or Dota don't fit that bill

https://twitter.com/headphoneninja/status/1315067792664784902?s=20

I haven't seen anyone else on this thread, reddit, or other forums, having success with ANY 4:4:4 10bit Gsync. So for most of us, we're just going to have to wait. Gsync is introducing stutter at all framerates right now, it's just more noticeable at 100+. The only way to completely fix it is 4:2:0 8bit

https://twitter.com/anfernee80/status/1314955572832329729?s=20
This sums up very well what I felt the conclusion was after all my reading and testing, but I wanted to make sure I exhausted all possibilities of it working right now. Thanks for the reply.

I'm just going to increase my games render resolutions so they sit at a steady 70-100 now. I've tried fps limiters via nvcp, riva, and in-game, and for me that seems to add an entirely different type of stutter. Lol
 
So, basically, the CX48 is G-Sync incompatible now.
G-Sync half works. For me it's smooth at all frames except 111-119. Others report stutters outside of that range as well. But whichever of those two situations is the case for each user, the fact is, it doesn't work as intended. So ya. That's the long way of saying it doesn't work 100% until firmware fix. And the only idea we have of timing on that is that LG wants to release it by end of year.
 
Depending on your GPU, CS:GO and Dota are both very easy to run games at 4k 120. They would likely run hundreds of fps higher if unlocked. Have you tested this in any more demanding games that would actually fluctuate in fps because of variation in performance demand? What GPU do you have?
I tested more games and made an interesting discovery.

Metro Exodus runs at ~105 fps and varies a lot. However, it stutters when Display Specific settings is unchecked, and the stuttering stops when I check the box.
Battlefield V runs at ~100 fps and varies a lot. It behaves the same as above.

Doom Eternal runs at 116 fps when capped to 118 fps. It stutters when Display Specific settings is checked, and the stuttering stops when I uncheck the box. It seems G-SYNC is working to some degree and it's not just Vsync when the box is unchecked, because there is no mouse input lag. If I disable G-SYNC completely, the mouse starts lagging.
Dota 2 and CS: GO behave the same as above.

So it seems that games that run at a locked frame rate close to the refresh rate benefit from unchecking Display Specific settings.
 
Last edited:
Well, I've taken a risk. Costco has the 48CX online $50 off, with free 3 year extended warranty and 2 years additional through Costco Visa for 7 YEARS total... free.

I'll risk the bet on the GSYNC issues getting fixed with firmware and drivers. Too tempting to pass up. It will be delivered to me by Friday. Pretty awesome.

I'm not going to wait until black friday starts and Costco runs out and missing out on that insane warranty. I fully expect that I'll have to use it sometime over 7 years... they are crazy.

Also, their latest flyer has a in-store sale starting on the CX55, 65 and 77 starting tomorrow if you want the bigger ones. But they don't have the 48 in store, only online. Which is interesting. I never would have seen the deal on the 48 had I not been looking at the flyer and then searched the site to see if they happened to have the CX48.
 
So, basically, the CX48 is G-Sync incompatible now.
No. It works fine as long as you keep to HDMI 2.0b settings (4k120 4:2:0 8-bit or 1440p120 4:4:4 10-bit). LG has said they're working on a fix for full 4K120 4:4:4 10-bit GSYNC compatibility.

They've fixed bigger issues before now, so I do not doubt they can fix the stuttering issue as well.
 
No. It works fine as long as you keep to HDMI 2.0b settings (4k120 4:2:0 8-bit or 1440p120 4:4:4 10-bit). LG has said they're working on a fix for full 4K120 4:4:4 10-bit GSYNC compatibility.

They've fixed bigger issues before now, so I do not doubt they can fix the stuttering issue as well.

This. I'm still stuck with a 2080 Ti and have had no issues. Pretty much the only reason why I haven't caved in to a scalper yet for an Ampere card lol. I might just try out Freesync instead with big navi to see if it suffers the same problems...
 
No. It works fine as long as you keep to HDMI 2.0b settings (4k120 4:2:0 8-bit or 1440p120 4:4:4 10-bit). LG has said they're working on a fix for full 4K120 4:4:4 10-bit GSYNC compatibility.

They've fixed bigger issues before now, so I do not doubt they can fix the stuttering issue as well.
Thank you for stating that so plainly. I'm sure it was said more than once a few pages back but the recent comments had me slightly confused because I've had zero issues since I got my 3090. I'd say that the jump from the 2080ti to the 3090 has been just as big a jump as going from the 35" VA panel to the oled.....................BUT I play everything at 3840x1620 and so am forced to 8bit...that's why I haven't seen any of the issues that others have.
 
I finally got my hands on a RTX 3080. What a nightmare...

I was trying out some things to see what this G-Sync stuttering thing is about. Is this supposed to be noticeable on the Pendulum Demo? With V-Sync ON at 50 fps the stuttering is immediately noticeable, but with G-Sync ON at 50 fps it appears to be working? I'm on 4k120Hz 4:4:4 10-bit.

EDIT:

I tried Half-Life 2 with previous settings capped to 117 and it didn't feel smooth. It almost looked like I was getting screen-tearing at the top of the display.

I capped to 100 and it appears to be smooth now.

And in Vermintide 2 it appears to be borked regardless.
 
Last edited:
No. It works fine as long as you keep to HDMI 2.0b settings (4k120 4:2:0 8-bit or 1440p120 4:4:4 10-bit). LG has said they're working on a fix for full 4K120 4:4:4 10-bit GSYNC compatibility.

They've fixed bigger issues before now, so I do not doubt they can fix the stuttering issue as well.
This is much better than my description. Thank you for being more clear for those trying to catch up.

I keep trying to change to 4:2:0 in NVCP, and it seems to stick, but I don't see the visual change of text looking more blurry to confirm it's made a difference. At the same time, games to seem to NOT be using the set 4:2:0 setting either causing them to still stutter.

How is everyone changing to 4:2:0 if not via NVCP? When you do, do you see the visual confirmation that the text is sharing pixels and looks a little blurrier?
 
Anyone go from an Alienware AW3418DW to this 48" CX?

I think it'd feel way too big because I like the size of the 34" ultrawide I have now. Tell me your experience?
 
This is much better than my description. Thank you for being more clear for those trying to catch up.

I keep trying to change to 4:2:0 in NVCP, and it seems to stick, but I don't see the visual change of text looking more blurry to confirm it's made a difference. At the same time, games to seem to NOT be using the set 4:2:0 setting either causing them to still stutter.

How is everyone changing to 4:2:0 if not via NVCP? When you do, do you see the visual confirmation that the text is sharing pixels and looks a little blurrier?
In fullscreen exclusive mode, games will probably revert to RGB over 4:2:0 if the option is available at the selected resolution and refresh rate. Try borderless windowed mode with the desktop set to 4:2:0.
 
Spent some time to tweak the settings for minimal banding, using the spears munsil video and the lagom.nl test image.
First off, the sharpness setting causes banding. Very obvious effect, just turn it up and down with the test image/video. (needs to be set to 0 - lg's presets are often 15-25, so default settings cause quite a bit of banding). So while the sharpness on cx is actually quite good at it's job, it's really not worth using at all.
Secondly, in the current firmware at least (I'm on the .26), 10bit rgb full has worse banding than 10bit 444 limited. There was also some lg guy or so that had said this tv is designed for ycbcr444 (somewhere in the avsforum thread), so maybe that's the case.

Then there's contrast. contrast seems to have sweet spots for banding where some levels have more, others less. 100 is one of the best, and also helps with the black level crush, easy to test as well, just turn contrast up/down with the tests up.

10bit 444 limited, sharpness 0, contrast 100, best combination I found for gradients.
As a bonus, amazingly, after i switched to 444 limited 10bit, g-sync has simply worked. No need to glitch it. I fully expected it to stop working, but It has worked for 3 days straight without fail. (again, .26 firmware).
 
Why are you guys using a 118FPS cap (still bounces in and out of VRR range) and why are you enabling Vsync in game instead of via driver.

That's basically doing everything you're not suppose to for a smooth experience but in this case with Gsync busted on these TV's results in a smooth experience because you're regularly out of VRR and instead falling back on Vsync.
 
Anyone go from an Alienware AW3418DW to this 48" CX?

I think it'd feel way too big because I like the size of the 34" ultrawide I have now. Tell me your experience?
I did and I would do it again in a minute. The Alienware is a great monitor. I am enjoying 4k and am still working through HDR settings, but even if I do not use it, it is nice to have it available and as I dial in the settings, I am liking it more and more. My 2080ti ran everything I threw it at quite well and looked great, but the 3080/90 is the way to go unless AMD releases something as good or better. Everything looks better and I do not have to worry about the AAA titles that do not fully support UW. The colors are better, it "feels" more responsive and immersive and it is nice having the vertical pixels back.
 
I did and I would do it again in a minute. The Alienware is a great monitor. I am enjoying 4k and am still working through HDR settings, but even if I do not use it, it is nice to have it available and as I dial in the settings, I am liking it more and more. My 2080ti ran everything I threw it at quite well and looked great, but the 3080/90 is the way to go unless AMD releases something as good or better. Everything looks better and I do not have to worry about the AAA titles that do not fully support UW. The colors are better, it "feels" more responsive and immersive and it is nice having the vertical pixels back.
How are you dealing w/ the general darkness of an OLED for desktop? I find it to to just be darker no matter what settings I use.
 
RX 6900 XT is actually promising. I'll give freesync a try if gsync compatibility isn't fixed by then.
 
After watching the AMD 6900xt launch and currently using twin 1080ti's on this monitor I'm leaning that way vs. the $500 more 3090. Any concerns I should have about going freesync with the cx48 vs gsync with it?
 
Hehe, you beat me by a second, my thoughts exactly. Are there any upfront reasons why freesync might be worse than gsync?

Not that I can think of. But I mean if gsync compatibility doesn't work then it shouldn't be surprising if Freesync on the CX is equally broken.
 
Hehe, you beat me by a second, my thoughts exactly. Are there any upfront reasons why freesync might be worse than gsync?

Not really, hardware g-sync is better but most people are getting "g-sync compatible" displays with no hardware module these days. So it's literally the same as Freesync, a software solution.
 
Going with the 6900xt, Gsync or Freesync it's obvious there will be problem and over some weeks to months iron it out
 
How are you dealing w/ the general darkness of an OLED for desktop? I find it to to just be darker no matter what settings I use
It is not something I have noticed. I tweaked some picture settings, but overall it is not a problem. I only use my PC at home for gaming and web browsing so I am not on it more than an hour or two during the week and maybe 4-5 hours on the weekends. Were I using it more frequently or serious work it might be different.
 
NVIDIA is already on it's second iteration of AI upscaling with DLSS 2.0 (as well as pushing raytracing tech for titles that have enough frame rate with or without DLSS). I haven't heard or seen any examples of end user AI upscaling (or raytracing) from AMD or from oculus for that matter, though most major companies like amd, oculus, apple, and console mfgs are supposedly working on AI upscaling tech too. The point is that it looks like NVIDIA is way ahead on those fronts similar to how it forced g-sync/vrr to market. DLSS is a deal maker/breaker for nvidia vs AMD for 4k resolutions on demanding AAA games imo.

In this death stranding video, the frame rate is around 60fpsHz -70fpsHz without DLSS at native 4k with TAA and around 90 - 100 fpsHz with 1400p DLSS quality upscaled to 4k .. and that's with a 2080Ti. DLSS has it's own AA also which is cleaner than TAA, and there are claims that DLSS looks more like downsampling 5k so ends up looking better than native resolution. Also remember that still-shot comparisons of native 4k rez vs quality DLSS, as well as 60fps youtube videos.. often fail to mention that parts of a frame rate graph that are 100fpsHz - 120fpsHz and better on a 120Hz monitor are also cutting the motion blur of viewport movement down 40% to 50% from lower Hz's smearing blur and are nearly doubling to doubling the motion definition (5:3 frames at 100fpsHz and 2:1 frames at 120fpsHz vs 60fpsHz 1:1 baseline). You can't show that in screen shots and 60fps youtube videos.

 
Debating the current pre-nov deals Costco Deal for the 48 CX. The nearest Costco is over an hour away so it would be + $60 express ship. Also +$60 membership signup fee to avoid a +5% ~$78 surcharge. So grand total would be $1610 incl the shipping, membership, and the "free" 3 or 5 year warranty (and $100 hulu gift card). I think the warranty actually goes +2 yrs by visa cc to 5 yrs with a visa checkout.

So the deal is for the warranty pretty much, and if the hulu card matters to you I guess. Someone on the slickdeals thread mention there is a 90 day return period so theoretically I could order one and keep it in the box until december to wait out better november deals potentially, returning it or optimally if it was costco with a better price later in november I could prob just price adjust within the 90days.

edit : according to some comments on slickdeals, only BestBuy's warranty covers burn-in
BestBuy:
extended holiday return period
When purchased now through Jan 2, you can return this item anytime until Jan 16.
 
Last edited:
Yeah but that's only if game developers actually decide to implement DLSS. Nvidia made promises of more game support but thing about nvidia is that they always make promises but don't always deliver. Sure if DLSS actually becomes widely adopted then I'll switch again but I am not buying a product based on future promises because that sure as hell turned out well for Turing now didn't it?
 
Back
Top