LG 48CX

Any way to enable G-Sync (or G-Sync compatible) with that display over HDMI 2.0 (2070S)?

Tried FreeSync Premium on and off on the TV and even though I can choose "G-Sync Compatible" (on either of the TV settings) in the control panel and activate Fullscreen and windowed G-Sync in the settings I can't use it in the Pendulum demo and I also get screen tearing at 60Hz..
As long as you have "Instant Game Response" enabled on the TV for the HDMI port to your computer, it should just show up in the G-Sync section of NVCP (Turing and Ampere cards only).

Got my 3080 today. Hooked it up to my CX, and 4K120 4:4:4 10-bit works brilliantly... BUT... GSYNC is fubar. Every time I enable it, I get black screen flashing every 10 seconds or so.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix this? I've got Firmware 3.11.10 installed.

Got my 3080 today. Hooked it up to my CX, and 4K120 4:4:4 10-bit works brilliantly... BUT... GSYNC is fubar. Every time I enable it, I get black screen flashing every 10 seconds or so.

Anyone know if there's a way to fix this? I've got Firmware 3.11.10 installed.
firmware 3.11.25 fixed this issue but i'm seeing random reports that it was pulled

edit: i looked at the original link and see that it's still up... if you want to run it manually here's what you need...

here's a link to the firmware: https://www.lgservice.co.kr/fileDownload.do?cBbsCode=SW_PDS&cSeq=12097&check=true

and instructions for updating the firmware manually: https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/updating-firmware-tv-CT10000018-1430510575535

firmware 3.11.25 fixed this issue but i'm seeing random reports that it was pulled

edit: i looked at the original link and see that it's still up... if you want to run it manually here's what you need...

here's a link to the firmware: https://www.lgservice.co.kr/fileDownload.do?cBbsCode=SW_PDS&cSeq=12097&check=true

and instructions for updating the firmware manually: https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/updating-firmware-tv-CT10000018-1430510575535
The bigger question is why was it pulled?

What the HELLLLLLL... Been working no issues.. Now every time instant game response pop up I get a black screen.. Have to toggle it of and back on to get a picture back. Been working fine till I got a firmware update today..

*sigh* I guess I will continue to be a beta tester until they release an actual fix.
imo, i'd still install 03.11.25... the stutter issue is a pain but you can "fix" it by limiting your frames to 110 and below using rivatuner

*sigh* I guess I will continue to be a beta tester until they release an actual fix.
I just got my 3090 FE. Firmware 3.11.25 on the CX works fine. There's no stuttering with G-SYNC + Vsync, with or without an fps limit of 118. There's no flickering in games or on the desktop either. If I toggle Vsync off & on in Dota 2 while the game is running, the fps drops to ~100 and panning is not smooth. If I launch the game with Vsync already switched on, it runs at a locked framerate.

When switching back to 120 Hz from 24 Hz after a movie, the screen started flickering. Unplugging the HDMI cable fixed it. The problem hasn't recurred.

Last edited:
I have the 3.11.26 and with gsync with any lock it stutter...
So is an issue with my cable ?
Also why there is a 3.11.26 firmware ?

I have the 3.11.26 and with gsync with any lock it stutter...
So is an issue with my cable ?
Also why there is a 3.11.26 firmware ?
.26 is some Europe specific thing, maybe some minor difference between models. It may have had some issue because for my region the version offered is now .25 but I don't know if you can rollback to a previous version.

Cables should have no effect on things like G-Sync. If it can pass 4K 120 Hz 4:4:4 10-bit HDR without issues (artifacts, flickering, blank screens, resolutions/color spaces/refresh rates going missing etc) then your cable is fine.

Seems like the TVs still have issues for G-Sync so all you can do is wait for more updates. If G-Sync stutters then disable it and wait for it to be fixed whether it's via driver or firmware.

Can you even downgrade from .26 to .25? i put .25 on a usb to try and it just says no updates.

Can you even downgrade from .26 to .25? i put .25 on a usb to try and it just says no updates.
I don't think you can. I would just use it and not worry about it. I can't tell any difference to the .25 I had before using engineer mode in service menu. You will need a new fix for the G-Sync stutter problem anyway.

Is there any news regarding the Club3D adapter and G-Sync/FreeSync?

I've got one at home, but no point in unpacking it as long as there isn't any working G-Sync..

Yeah I've concluded that Gsync is busted. This is some firmware or driver issue.

For me personally it ruins gameplay. Smoothness feels like a game with poor frame pacing.

The prior fix by enabling W10 VRR doesn't solve the issue.

Is there any news regarding the Club3D adapter and G-Sync/FreeSync?

I've got one at home, but no point in unpacking it as long as there isn't any working G-Sync..

None. Club3D said on their Twitter that they got it working but then retracted their statement as it was apparently a false positive. But that tells they are at least trying to do it. Just nothing new on that front yet.

After months of reading and re-reading this thread I decided to take a shot. I'm a Sony guy, so pre-ordered their new 48" A9S OLED instead of the LG. No idea when it'll ship, but I'll definitely post pics/comments when it's delivered. I still think 48" is too big for desktop use. Maybe I'll be surprised. Sure as hell hope so. :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1545419-REG/sony_xbr48a9s_48_xbr_4k_a9s.html

After months of reading and re-reading this thread I decided to take a shot. I'm a Sony guy, so pre-ordered their new 48" A9S OLED instead of the LG. No idea when it'll ship, but I'll definitely post pics/comments when it's delivered. I still think 48" is too big for desktop use. Maybe I'll be surprised. Sure as hell hope so. :)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1545419-REG/sony_xbr48a9s_48_xbr_4k_a9s.html
I'm an AndroidTV guy myself, but the Sony not supporting VRR/FreeSync/G-Sync (any of it) was a clear dealbreaker for me. And since they use the same panel and you can't use any of the motion processing magic on a PC anyways the LG CX is basically a no-brainer if you can get it..

Regarding size:
I got slapped in my face when I went from triple 20" to single 43" for about 2 months on my desktop. (I did use triple 1080p 40" on my simrig and for productive work/coding in the past though, so the size wasn't completely new to me). But I got comfortable with my big screen after a while - so much that I wanted something a hair bigger for (relaxed) gaming.

Now, 1 year later I'm at 55" on the same desk (as I couldn't get my hands on a 48" for a reasonable price) - and it's doable. I think 40"-48" is the absolute best size for casual, relaxed, lean-back gaming, even on a desk (or especially on a desk). Don't get instantantly scared by the size, you WILL get used to it.

They still don't have HDMI 2.1 I. Their newest model ~.~? LG going to be the better gaming TV.

I'm an AndroidTV guy myself, but the Sony not supporting VRR/FreeSync/G-Sync (any of it) was a clear dealbreaker for me. And since they use the same panel and you can't use any of the motion processing magic on a PC anyways the LG CX is basically a no-brainer if you can get it..

Regarding size:
I got slapped in my face when I went from triple 20" to single 43" for about 2 months on my desktop. (I did use triple 1080p 40" on my simrig and for productive work/coding in the past though, so the size wasn't completely new to me). But I got comfortable with my big screen after a while - so much that I wanted something a hair bigger for (relaxed) gaming.

Now, 1 year later I'm at 55" on the same desk (as I couldn't get my hands on a 48" for a reasonable price) - and it's doable. I think 40"-48" is the absolute best size for casual, relaxed, lean-back gaming, even on a desk (or especially on a desk). Don't get instantantly scared by the size, you WILL get used to it.
Dude 55 on a desk? Is the image even sharp at that distance? I always figured you'd need 8K resolution to make something like that work as intended.

Dude 55 on a desk? Is the image even sharp at that distance? I always figured you'd need 8K resolution to make something like that work as intended.
Nah, I had to use font scaling of 125% on my 43" to be usable. With the 55" I can now use 100% and it's perfect.

PS: even gaming in 1440p is perfectly fine on a 55"..

I just got my 3090 FE. Firmware 3.11.25 on the CX works fine. There's no stuttering with G-SYNC + Vsync, with or without an fps limit of 118. There's no flickering in games or on the desktop either. If I toggle Vsync off & on in Dota 2 while the game is running, the fps drops to ~100 and panning is not smooth. If I launch the game with Vsync already switched on, it runs at a locked framerate.

When switching back to 120 Hz from 24 Hz after a movie, the screen started flickering. Unplugging the HDMI cable fixed it. The problem hasn't recurred.

Yeah I've concluded that Gsync is busted. This is some firmware or driver issue.

For me personally it ruins gameplay. Smoothness feels like a game with poor frame pacing.

The prior fix by enabling W10 VRR doesn't solve the issue.

Lol I do not know what's going on anymore. So many mixed reports.

Regarding size:

They still don't have HDMI 2.1 I. Their newest model ~.~? LG going to be the better gaming TV.
Wow, serious oversights on my part! :jawdrop: Thanks for the heads up. Sony canceled. Looks like it's gonna be LG for me, too.

Looks amazing ... then I saw ... HDMI 2.0b ..... honestly, you don't want that. You want HDMI 2.1 ...... I promise you, 4K@120hz OLED is .... AH-MAY-ZING .... amazing.

I have a highend Sony 75" in my livingroom. The LG is just as good quality, same exact high-end fit and finish. You will not be disappointed at all.

LG and Sony are some 2 top brands. Samsung has tanked their quality and features over the last few years.

my 2 cents.

Regardless of what you do, stay safe and enjoy.

Last edited:
While firmware 3.11.25 has been reported to work on the CX48, it may not be fully compatible according to LG tech support.
I own a CX48 and will wait for an official firmware (do not yet own a 3080 so no big deal for now).

I have the CX48 with 3.11.26 and a RTX 3080. Running at 4k Full RGB 120hz with HDR. Stuttering is very visible in Pendulum test. No tearing for me tough.

Lol I do not know what's going on anymore. So many mixed reports.
There's enough reports of stuttering where it's likely an implementation issue with the beta firmware, which is probably why it got pulled. It sounds like the "major" problem of Gsync flat out not working is fixed, but there are some frame pacing issues left to resolve.

I do give LG/NVIDIA some leeway on this, since this is the first implementation trying to get all this working. Some issues are expected. I do hope they get resolved soon-ish though.

Still holding for a GPU before I commit to the TV. Honestly might just wait for next years model at this point...

There's enough reports of stuttering where it's likely an implementation issue with the beta firmware, which is probably why it got pulled. It sounds like the "major" problem of Gsync flat out not working is fixed, but there are some frame pacing issues left to resolve.

I do give LG/NVIDIA some leeway on this, since this is the first implementation trying to get all this working. Some issues are expected. I do hope they get resolved soon-ish though.

Still holding for a GPU before I commit to the TV. Honestly might just wait for next years model at this point...
At least LG is trying to fix it. Samsung and other would of just said tough shit. Buy next year's model and it might be fixed there.

I was hoping the smoke would clear and major issues would be resolved before potential november deals (even considering 55" C9, E9, and CX models).. between november and xmas / end of the year... but if not I'll probably be in the same boat. The later they resolve the issues the more imminent next years model will be after a point. There's no guarantee the next year's model will be free of issues though. The raised near-black levels in VRR have been since VRR was implemented on the C9 late 2019 for example, and is part of a near black flashing workaround "fix" history. I'm not sure how long the dolby vision raised black issue has been around. Anyway the point is that I think most of the big issues like stuttering G-sync/VRR exist on both the C9 and CX so there is no guarantee that the "C11" or whatever will be free of problems that wouldn't be fixed in firmware across all of the more recent models in time. That is, assuming the issues are not hardware limitations in the end.

Hoping it is all just firmware issues and not hardware limitations. If the C9 had the same issues that would seem to indicate that is not related to a difference in cutting corners along with the hdmi bandwidth hardware.
As it stands now the remaining issues seem to be (unless I am forgetting something):

... 120hz 4k 444 10bit's VRR range has stuttering
....eARC 5.1/7.1 performance: reliability/stability are not solid at all (dropping to or only capable of stereo, connection not remaining solid requiring reconnects or restarts).
....slight raising of black depth in areas with near-blacks or some near-black flashing with VRR active.
....slight raising of blacks with Dolby Vision hdr

Last edited:
There is a hdtv-test video where he shows that if you spam the green button you get a link/resolution/refresh/vrr status window.
Mine on .26 firmware always shows 5.5Hz as max, where with vrr on it can variably drop. 5.5Hz in 120Hz content.
His video however, seems to show the proper refreshrate fluctuating just under 60Hz. Would be funny if the issue is that the tv doesn't properly report the refreshrate to itself.

So i thought id try every combination with the above status window to see what it says, and with instant game respone+amd freesync turned on + gsync in nvcp, it actually seems to work? Didn't have much time to try so please reproduce. (still maxes out at 5.5Hz for me).
But it seemed to work in the 10 min i tried, vrr working, no black flashing, no tearing. Not 100% about stutter as i tried in wow with very even frame times, but i didn't see any.
(tried a bit more (witcher3, wow, wowbeta, destiny2) works fine up to roughly 107fps cap. over that stutter in some games, like destiny2 - but it works! so anyone else stuck on .26, just enable freesync and cap to 106)

Last edited:
Do the 48CX and the 55CX have the same mounting dimensions for the stand?

Still have to come up with a proper mounting solution on my desk. Wall mounts are too thick, stands to deep.

Looks like I'll have to design something 3D-printed that's low profile..

Does anybody have information about the screw hole depth of the foot and vesa mounts?

Ideally I have a bracket that screws into the foot mount and extends below the TV around the LED and housing so it doesn't rest on the panel (right now I have wood chips under the box) and some solution that goes into the vesa mount and the wall so it doesn't tilt forward (that thing is unexpectedly front heavy)

Is it possible that the issue is relative to the window 10 option ?

>> Game mode >> do you active it ?
>> Materiel acceleration >> do you active it ?
>> vrr in w10 option >> do you active it.

What do you do of these 3 option ?

I am very curious if a person can test on a linux hardware if the stutering are visible with gsync on ?

Is it possible that the issue is relative to the window 10 option ?

>> Game mode >> do you active it ?
>> Materiel acceleration >> do you active it ?
>> vrr in w10 option >> do you active it.

What do you do of these 3 option ?

I am very curious if a person can test on a linux hardware if the stutering are visible with gsync on ?
Where do you enable any of those 3 options in Win10?

Game mode >>> parameter >>> game >>> game mode
Materiel acceleration >>>>parameter >>> system>>> display >>> parametre advances graphic
Vrr >>> same like materiel acceleration.

I am french so i am not sure what is the name of your menu.

I am very interesting to see what theses option do on your system, and what do you think ?

Is is possible that the bug is a nvidia driver issue ???

Is nvidia aware of this issue ?

Have you try previous driver ?

I need some help with 4k / 120hz/ gsync WITH HDR on a LG CX using a RTX 3090. I can't get windows to turn on HDR. The switch is effectively disabled. Is there a setting on the LG that I need to enable/disable to get it to work? HDR works fine if the TV is at 4k / 60hz/ gsync. Actually, it comes on automatically when I switch from 120hz to 60hz. Considering the RTX 3090 is supposed to have HDMI 2.1, wouldn't this allow HDR with 4k/ 120hz? I am using a 48gps HDMI optical cable and my LG is on 3.11.10 (this is as far as my TV will allow as of today). Does a manual upgrade to 3.11.25 fix this?

I need some help with 4k / 120hz/ gsync WITH HDR on a LG CX using a RTX 3090. I can't get windows to turn on HDR. The switch is effectively disabled. Is there a setting on the LG that I need to enable/disable to get it to work? HDR works fine if the TV is at 4k / 60hz/ gsync. Actually, it comes on automatically when I switch from 120hz to 60hz. Considering the RTX 3090 is supposed to have HDMI 2.1, wouldn't this allow HDR with 4k/ 120hz? I am using a 48gps HDMI optical cable and my LG is on 3.11.10 (this is as far as my TV will allow as of today). Does a manual upgrade to 3.11.25 fix this?
What settings are you using within the NVIDIA control panel? Make sure to use at least 10-bit output. Aside from that, you need to enable "HDMI Deep Color" for the HDMI input you are using, since that effectively controls whether HDR can be supported.

Just dropping a quick note that today I "upgraded" to the LG 48CX from a 55" LG C9.. Prior to the C9 I was using an LG C6 (55" Curved) OLED and as I suspected while I was fine with the 55" as a Desktop Monitor the smaller size of the 48" is much much nicer. I would even say having used the Dell 43" 4K LCD's at work for some years that even if LG made a 43" OLED I would stick with the 48" size... its pretty much a perfect size for gaming and desktop/office work. Very Happy.

Reactions: gordy
like this
Make sure the hdmi input icon on the cc is set to PC. That will allow pc resolutions. In nvcp resolutions scroll down and select 4k. You can now set it to 120hz and enable hdr.

Back