LG 48CX

I just got my CAC-1085 adapter and so far it's been a disaster.

4K/120hz works as long as you never switch to HDR or change resolution. As soon as you do the output becomes a fuzzy/blurry mess that requires restarting the PC to correct (CRU restart doesn't fix it).

The other issue is it puts a substantial strain on the GPU. I went from 78-85w total power consumption @ 350-700mhz browsing the web to 112w just sitting at the desktop and my 2080 Ti never clocking down from 1185mhz. I dunno why this is the case when I've used a X27 for over a year now @ 4K/120hz.

So far this isn't going too great but I'm going to keep trying.

I just got my CAC-1085 adapter and so far it's been a disaster.

4K/120hz works as long as you never switch to HDR or change resolution. As soon as you do the output becomes a fuzzy/blurry mess that requires restarting the PC to correct (CRU restart doesn't fix it).

The other issue is it puts a substantial strain on the GPU. I went from 78-85w total power consumption @ 350-700mhz browsing the web to 112w just sitting at the desktop and my 2080 Ti never clocking down from 1185mhz. I dunno why this is the case when I've used a X27 for over a year now @ 4K/120hz.

So far this isn't going too great but I'm going to keep trying.

I wonder if DSC keeps the GPU from clocking down.

I'm not sure if it's enough to convince you to a CX but all I got is 120Hz BFI. I'm totally addicted to it. You guys are gonna hate me for this but I'm considering just using 1080p with Integer Scaling just so I can get that sweet sweet 100/120fps lock for BFI in demanding games lol. I have never seen such crisp clear motion on a non CRT so it's blown my mind.

So BFI works just like a Gsync?

BFI is fantastic on the 48CX. Colors are good, brightness is good, motion clarity is epic and I don't notice any flicker @ 120fps.

People that say BFI on the 48cx is dim with bland colors must have never used BFI features on prior IPS/VA/TN monitors. Prior to this 48cx, I would say the PG27VQ had the best BFI as it pumped out 400NITS in BFI mode, however, that monitor suffered from the shittiest AG coating you have ever seen, and 1440pee resolution which blows dick.

The 48cx is the King of Displays, finally overthrowing the FW900. I seriously have an old beat to shit FW900 sitting in my closed that I will now finally be throwing away.

Can you run BFI 4k@120hz?

Ok I tried using a external power source for the CAC-1085 (USB charger), changed cables from my 1M 30AWG 48Gbps HDMI cable and no difference in it's inconsistency.

Sometimes it will do 4K/120 no problem, other times it will boot to no signal. At any point switching resolution or to HDR messes everything up.

I'm pretty close to sending this thing back.

EDIT: Yeah that's a wrap, I bought this thing to work as a plug and play solution. Not gonna spend anymore time fiddling with it. There's no rhyme or reason to it's sporadic behavior.

Last edited:
Ok I tried using a external power source for the CAC-1085 (USB charger), changed cables from my 1M 30AWG 48Gbps HDMI cable and no difference in it's inconsistency.

Sometimes it will do 4K/120 no problem, other times it will boot to no signal. At any point switching resolution or to HDR messes everything up.

EDIT: Yeah that's a wrap, I bought this thing to work as a plug and play solution. Not gonna spend anymore time fiddling with it. There's no rhyme or reason to it's sporadic behavior.

So your telling us this thing cannot do 4k120 Full RGB 8-bit without hassle?
All I need is 4k120 Full RGB 8-bit on desktop for work productivity to be worth while.

If not PRE-ORDER CANCEL!!!!

Can you run BFI 4k@120hz?

Yes you can and it is GLORIOUS. Don't get me wrong I love gsync but if I can hold a steady 100/120fps you damn bet I will use BFI. With DLSS 2.0 this is looking like even more of a possibility to do at 4k resolution since DLSS 2.0 at its maximum performance preset is technically rendering with a base resolution of 1080p before the AI upscaling.

So your telling us this thing cannot do 4k120 Full RGB 8-bit without hassle?
All I need is 4k120 Full RGB 8-bit on desktop for work productivity to be worth while

I dunno if it can or can't but there's a guy on AVS with an identical experience to mine:

I did some further testing if the Club 3D adapter and it is definitely going back. Switching from 4K/60 to 4K/120 seems to break things. Doesn’t matter the color settings, just switching to 120hz makes the picture go all screwy. I know this is an adapter issue because I can switch to 4K/120 over HDMI and it works fine. Also toggling in HDR will cause some sort of handshake issue where the picture will go black and the only way to fix it is to power off the adapter and power it back on. Then once you’re done with HDR and toggle it off, the same issue happens with loss of signal.

I’ve already initiated the return process and it’s getting shipped back this weekend. Maybe some other setups work differently with it. My setup is a 2080 Ti and a Cable Matters 48 gbps HDMI cable.

I'm not willing to try 8 different cables and wait 3 weeks emailing back and forth to Club3D to get this thing working correctly. Besides that, I'm not happy with the GPU temps/power consumption to achieve 4K/120 when it does work. GPU fan is constantly on and never in 0RPM mode as a result.

I dunno if it can or can't but there's a guy on AVS with an identical experience to mine:

I'm not willing to try 8 different cables and wait 3 weeks emailing back and forth to Club3D to get this thing working correctly. Besides that, I'm not happy with the GPU temps/power consumption to achieve 4K/120 when it does work. GPU fan is constantly on and never in 0RPM mode as a result.

Well, isn't 4k120 Full RGB 8-bit what you were trying? Or were you trying 10bit, or 444?

I am still having PTSD nightmares from running 5x1 setups back in the day and having displayport adapter hell on monitors 4 & 5.
5x1club1.jpg

Last edited:
Well, isn't 4k120 Full RGB 8-bit what you were trying? Or were you trying 10bit, or 444?

I am still having PTSD nightmares from running 5x1 setups back in the day and having displayport adapter hell on monitors 4 & 5.

Yes 4K/120hz/8-bit/RGB was the only setting that worked but would get borked by enabling HDR or changing resolution.

Only RGB, 4:2:2 & 4:2:0 were available in my NVCP, no 4:4:4. 10-bit and 12-bit were also selectable but both resulted in black screen that required restarting PC.

This is going to sound weird, but I think one of the best showcases of this display is Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator. The constant motion of things wizzing past you really showcases the motion clarity that this TV/monitor produces. Even without BFI, everything is crystal clear in motion.

With BFI enabled, the detail becomes crazy sharp. In fact, my RTX 2070 Super doesn't hit 120 FPS @ 4k, so the picture looks almost jerky. The detail is so crisp, that our eyes see individual pictures, not fluid motion.

I'm shocked... the CX is a gamer's wet dream.

Last edited:
Yes 4K/120hz/8-bit/RGB was the only setting that worked but would get borked by enabling HDR or changing resolution.

Only RGB, 4:2:2 & 4:2:0 were available in my NVCP, no 4:4:4. 10-bit and 12-bit were also selectable but both resulted in black screen that required restarting PC.

Did you disable g-sync?

What the heck...your gpu is in full load just web browsing?! I have one coming next week ..now I'm thinking of canceling it

Did you disable g-sync?

Gsync isn't available with the adapter but I did disable instant game response and change input icon to console just to be safe.

What the heck...your gpu is in full load just web browsing?! I have one coming next week ..now I'm thinking of canceling it

Not full load but similar to like a hardware accelerated fullscreen video load. It brought my GPU temp up by quite a bit.

And no, the default optimal power plan in NVCP is selected. Like I said, I can disconnect everything and run my X27 @ 4K/120hz with a side monitor and this does not occur. Anytime the adapter is plugged in and connected, GPU sits at 1185mhz constant.

Don't cancel the order. It might work with your setup and there may be an issue with mine and the AVS guy who had identical results. I'm not going to send mine back for a week or so in case someone posts new findings. In the mean time I want to enjoy the TV and don't want to deal with trouble shooting the adapter so it's back in it's box.

Last edited:
So uh, I wanted to try Integer Scaling to 1080p except....it's freaking missing from my NVCP. Any ideas what happened to it? It used to be here before but now only the usual 3 options are there.

1594610361072.png

EDIT: Ok I got it. You cannot use Integer Scaling with 420 chroma. Bummer as I was hoping to leave the desktop at 4k then just switch to 1080p in game to use it. I'd have to set the desktop resolution to 1080p 120Hz 444 in order to enable it. Oh well it'll be solved once Ampere unlocks 4k120Hz 444.

Last edited:

While dissapointing that full functionality does not seem to be working,
4k120 RGB 8bit Full for surfing and work productivity is well worth the $55 IMHO

I can always game @ 4k120 420 VRR or BFI on another connection

Last edited:
So Game mode results in roughly 96-97% sRGB coverage when I calibrated.

My white balance values to achieve 6500k were a bit different from undertaker2k8.

R = 5
G = 0
B = -10

Seems like Warm2 is still way too blue on both our units. I normally use my displays at 100nits but because this is so large I've settled on 80nits (20 OLED light) and may actually go down to 70. My room is not at all bright so this works and also the experience on a OLED in terms of brightness is just completely different from LCD. There is a really strong contrast between dark theme backgrounds and white/colored text so the perceived brightness to my eyes is much higher. I dunno how else to describe it but it's like the text is popping out at you which necessitated the lower OLED light.

Last edited:
Based on these new reports about the adapter I have decided to cancel my order for it. Just don't want to deal with that hassle as I know I would be annoyed if it randomly refuses to work or HDR could cause it to go haywire. I will have to use 4K 60 Hz anyway when working from home most of the day because my laptop won't support anything higher. I can live with that on my PC until I get a HDMI 2.1 GPU later this year.

So Game mode results in roughly 96-97% sRGB coverage when I calibrated.
You can increase the color gamut by increasing the Colour setting. Colour basically defines the color gamut, while the AUTO, Wide and Extended are the presets of the Colour value. Increase it by 3, 5 or 10 and see the sRGB gamut hit 100%.

Having never used GSync before, it seems I have some trouble activating it on my setup with 2080 ti:

1. Despite Gsync being enabled from NVCP for both fullscreen and windowed apps, I seem to get tearing with VSync off in games and no Gsync logo.
2. Not sure if setting Freesync Premium to on in the TV settings is needed for GSync to work?
3. Some sources say you need to set refresh at 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz at 4k to get Gsync to activate?

Anyone care to chime in on what are the ideal settings for Gsync at 4k 60 Hz? Thanks.

Having never used GSync before, it seems I have some trouble activating it on my setup with 2080 ti:

1. Despite Gsync being enabled from NVCP for both fullscreen and windowed apps, I seem to get tearing with VSync off in games and no Gsync logo.
2. Not sure if setting Freesync Premium to on in the TV settings is needed for GSync to work?
3. Some sources say you need to set refresh at 59 Hz instead of 60 Hz at 4k to get Gsync to activate?

Anyone care to chime in on what are the ideal settings for Gsync at 4k 60 Hz? Thanks.

V-sync needs to be forced on (just enable it in NVCP for the global profile, that's enough). Otherwise when going outside of the VRR range (if you are at 60hz that'll happen all the time) you'll be in traditional no-sync mode. Set a global framerate cap in the NVCP at 58 (if you are sticking with 60hz) to avoid reaching the upper limit of the VRR range, which would activate v-sync with the massive input lag penalty that comes with it.

You shouldn''t need to touch the "Freesync" settings.

1. Enable instant game response mode in the TV settings.
2. Set GSYNC to ON for both fullscreen and windowed.
3. Cap your Framerate, 57FPS for 4K@60Hz, 117FPS for 1440p@120Hz.
4. Set VSYNC to ON in the GPU driver settings, but set it to OFF ingame.
5. Very rarely, GSYNC is not working ingame, alt+tab out and in should fix it.

Last edited:
<...> Seems like Warm2 is still way too blue on both our units. I normally use my displays at 100nits but because this is so large I've settled on 80nits (20 OLED light) and may actually go down to 70. My room is not at all bright so this works and also the experience on a OLED in terms of brightness is just completely different from LCD. There is a really strong contrast between dark theme backgrounds and white/colored text so the perceived brightness to my eyes is much higher. I dunno how else to describe it but it's like the text is popping out at you which necessitated the lower OLED light.

Hope what I wrote below helps :)

=================================

I use "turn off the lights" addon in my web browser (available for both firefox and chrome).
It does a dimming overlay at whatever default dimming level you set. You can also optionally have a brightness slider show up on the page that you can click to a small square to "minimize it". Turn off the lights remembers your settings per page and you can make a whitelist or blacklist (ironically named in this instance) for sites you don't need it to operate on. It can also show video frames without dimming them even if the rest of the page is dimmed, and you can set links on pages to click through the overlay so that they work normally.

I also use an addon called color changer which has a quick set of sliders in a drop down with a color wheel. It also remembers settings on a per site basis. It's very quick to change the background , text color, and link color with 3 sliders and a color wheel if you want to get picky. I usually just slide down the background to grey and slide the text to whatever contrasts best with that background.

Both of those addons would work well for your contrasted text issues. Turn off the lights can be active on every page by default (which I prefer) and you can also click a little lightbulb icon on the browser toolbar to active/deactivate it on that page if you want to. It's pretty much set and forget once it's set up though I like to have the brigthness slider available on the bottom right of web pages personally.

I use a 3rd party text editor and a 3rd party dual pane file browser which are highly configurable including colors. Besides that I use dark themes in every app I can, and I use dark/grey windows themes. There are still some apps that use white backgrounds or are otherwise harsh no matter what though.

----------

This clickmonitorddc app below lets you set hotkeys for a lot of monitor parameters (including brightness, contrast, saturation, R, G, B) on a per monitor basis. It can also launch and run with parameters based on what app you run using it's autorun feature.. and a lot of other neat things if you want it to.

https://clickmonitorddc.bplaced.net/

You can change color-profiles, select monitor-inputs, reset monitor, power off/on monitor, dim monitor, set monitor-speaker-volume, set system-volume, rotate display and set saturation/vibrance. You can do this by user-interface or by command-arguments.

ClickMonitorDDC requires Windows 7, 8 or 10.
You use this software at your own risk, I disclaim any responsibility for any harm.
You are allowed to use and spread this program for free.

Monitors and parameters

window.png

Hotkey method of activating parameters

hotkeys.png

Setting parameters per fullscreen app while running, reverts back when not fullscreen.
You can see the parameters per app on the right under the "command line" heading.
autorun.png

While dissapointing that full functionality does not seem to be working,
4k120 RGB 8bit Full for surfing and work productivity is well worth the $55 IMHO

I can always game @ 4k120 420 VRR or BFI on another connection
It is possible to get full 4:4:4 chroma at 4k120, but you need to add a custom resolution with CRU.
I've created a post on Reddit on how to achieve this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/hqha0d/custom_resolutions_on_club_3d_cac1085_with_lg/

This is going to sound crazy, but will you guys game at 2560x1440 even after the HDMI2.1 cards are released? Before I got my 48CX, I thought "gaming at 1440p is going to look like complete garbage", but when I tried it (out of necessity), I found that not only did the games look great, but being able to keep a solid 120fps in every game with things pretty much maxed out has been freaking awesome. Even with the 3080Ti power, I doubt we'll be able to push 120fps in all games maxed out (if we're expecting a 25-30% increase in performance over current gen).

I feel like I'll game at 4k@120 in games that can push that framerate consistently with high/max settings, and dial it back to 2560x1440p for games that are more demanding.

View attachment 261077

hahaha ......

I had 3 x Toshiba 40" 1080p displays on my desk maybe 4 years ago, no issues other than ... retina sear occasionally

This is going to sound crazy, but will you guys game at 2560x1440 even after the HDMI2.1 cards are released? Before I got my 48CX, I thought "gaming at 1440p is going to look like complete garbage", but when I tried it (out of necessity), I found that not only did the games look great, but being able to keep a solid 120fps in every game with things pretty much maxed out has been freaking awesome. Even with the 3080Ti power, I doubt we'll be able to push 120fps in all games maxed out (if we're expecting a 25-30% increase in performance over current gen).

I feel like I'll game at 4k@120 in games that can push that framerate consistently with high/max settings, and dial it back to 2560x1440p for games that are more demanding.

I can answer this question with almost certainty ... no, hell no.

3080 ti is 40% faster over the 2080 ti ... these are numbers extrapolated from the specs but there was also that little ... benchmark that was spotted not long ago. That figure of performance is something many can already agree on. Hell, let's just call it 30% faster and call it a day. The point being, it's going to be very very powerful.

You're 4k @ 120hz will be nicely covered.

Also, let's not forget you have gsync that's going to smooth out your FPS.

4K @ 120hz will be the new normal and thank god, we've been waiting.

It is possible to get full 4:4:4 chroma at 4k120, but you need to add a custom resolution with CRU.
I've created a post on Reddit on how to achieve this: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/hqha0d/custom_resolutions_on_club_3d_cac1085_with_lg/
Thanks for posting this. I am going to give this is a try with my setup(also 1080Ti with club3d). I was about to return the adapter but will try this and report back.

Edit: I was unable to get this to work. After entering the custom resolutions and restarting the computer or using the cru file, the tv will lose signal and I have to do a hard reboot to get it to clear or remove the club3d adapter from the chain and use the hdmi 2.0 port on the 1080ti.

Last edited:
Has anyone noticed certain games don't properly set the resolution correctly in full screen? I have had 2 issues

Destiny 2 - 2560x1440 resolution felt super unresponsive. I also wasn't able to initially able to set HDR to on. It also under the vsync option did not have 120 available, only 30 and 60. I went into the diagnostic menu and sure enough it's at 4k60hz... but the game itself is not rendering at 4k. Once I change to the 4k resolution with HDR off I can see the option for vsync at 120 and can tell it's smoother when hdr is off. I then also get the option to turn HDR on. Performance difference between actual 4k and 4k @ 1440p is apparent though. So I know it's not actually rendering the game at 4k.. This leads to a problem that I can't run at 1440p @ 120hz with HDR on. I can do 1080p which oddly enough the TV reports as 1440p but again there is a performance difference between actual 1440p and 1080p 1440p plus visual difference.

Monster hunter world - 1440p with no HDR ends up being the same as above where the TV resolution is 4k and I can't set it to 120hz. Luckily here if I turn on HDR I get actual 1440p 120hz with HDR.

Has anyone noticed certain games don't properly set the resolution correctly in full screen? I have had 2 issues

Destiny 2 - 2560x1440 resolution felt super unresponsive. I also wasn't able to initially able to set HDR to on. It also under the vsync option did not have 120 available, only 30 and 60. I went into the diagnostic menu and sure enough it's at 4k60hz... but the game itself is not rendering at 4k. Once I change to the 4k resolution with HDR off I can see the option for vsync at 120 and can tell it's smoother when hdr is off. I then also get the option to turn HDR on. Performance difference between actual 4k and 4k @ 1440p is apparent though. So I know it's not actually rendering the game at 4k.. This leads to a problem that I can't run at 1440p @ 120hz with HDR on. I can do 1080p which oddly enough the TV reports as 1440p but again there is a performance difference between actual 1440p and 1080p 1440p plus visual difference.

Monster hunter world - 1440p with no HDR ends up being the same as above where the TV resolution is 4k and I can't set it to 120hz. Luckily here if I turn on HDR I get actual 1440p 120hz with HDR.
You need to choose 2560x1440 from the list of PC resolutions for refresh rates above 60 Hz and HDR. PC resolutions are listed under the TV resolutions in the NVIDIA control panel if you're using an NVIDIA video card.

You need to choose 2560x1440 from the list of PC resolutions for refresh rates above 60 Hz and HDR. PC resolutions are listed under the TV resolutions in the NVIDIA control panel if you're using an NVIDIA video card.
Yeah it is selected. This is from in game. This is on a 2080. When I select 1440 from the ingame menu, it renders the game seemingly at 1440p, but the full screen window is 4k 60hz.

I'll take it on a case by case basis. I was just testing Doom Eternal and when actually playing, the game looks fine in 1440p 120 Hz. But admiring the view, you can tell 4K shows a lot more detail. I played through the game happily at 4K 60 Hz HDR as it was a very solid and stable framerate. Consistency matters.

4K 120 fps is not going to be possible in future games as new consoles push the envelope. Current games sure, barring titles like RDR2. In fact RDR2 is probably a fairly good indication on how many next gen titles will perform as it can just about do 4K 60 fps on a 2080 Ti depending on settings. So maybe a solid 60+ on a 3080 Ti.

But at least with next gen GPUs you won't need to choose 4K 120 fps SDR vs 60 fps HDR or drop down to 1440p 120 Hz HDR.

I've always been willing to dial down to very high or "very high plus" settings rather than "ultra" in order to get at least 100FPS-Hz average, using g-sync/VRR to ride out the fluctuations smoothly. I'm also a patient gamer and I still play games from 2015 - 2020, modded games, and on rare occasions older games.

Of course graphics ceilings don't remain the same and they are pretty arbitrary limits by devs to start with. You can also mod some games past their default graphics limits and there is RTX frame rate hit if you are into that too. I'm good finding a sweet spot in game settings and aiming for at least 100fps-Hz average, with VRR making that a great experience. Hopefully a 3080/"3090" ti or whatever will get some decent frame rates at 4k with good graphics settings. DLSS 2.0 also sounds promising on titles with that supported.

If a game can push 4k120, I will gladly run the game at Native 4k. If it can't, as you said, 1440p still looks great on the CX, so it's not that much of a downgrade. It will be a case-by-case basis.

Yeah it is selected. This is from in game. This is on a 2080. When I select 1440 from the ingame menu, it renders the game seemingly at 1440p, but the full screen window is 4k 60hz.

Do you have some GPU scaling enabled in NVCP? Switch to display scaling if so.

I don't think this is crazy, but there's also another possibility in the future. Once HDMI 2.1 GPU's are out, you'll be able to do GPU scaling with sharpening filters, which may also end up looking better than 1440p signal with display scaling.

And of course we can hope DLSS 2.0 catches on like wildfire, some sort of injector comes out to be able to force it on in any UE4 game, etc. There isn't hope for a universal injector because it relies on the engine presenting velocity vectors in order to work...but my understanding is UE4 does and that would at least open up a decent number of games.

Back