LG 48CX

FYI I just tested BFI at 100Hz and although it works totally fine, the results aren't as clean looking as 120Hz as expected.

hdmi 2.0 only goes up to 18gbps of bandwidth.

Speaking of which, anyone know of a bandwidth calculator to see what could theoretically support what resolution and color bit depth?

This one seems like the numbers are off.

https://k.kramerav.com/support/bwcalculator.asp

Looking for something where you could set the paramaters you are looking for, and figure out the missing variable from there.

So if you want 2560x1440 resolution, 10 bit color for hdr, 4:4:4, what framerate could you get to within the bandwidth budget of hdmi 2.0?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Refresh_frequency_limits_for_HDR10_video

You can do 1440p 120Hz 4:2:2 HDR without issues. You can do 4k 60Hz 4:2:2 HDR. But HDMI 2.0 simply doesn't have the bandwidth for HDR @ 4k 120Hz at any bit depth.

This dude nailed it, finally

Sorry CX users :( you will have to wait for the hdmi2.1 cards, looks like C9 is first off the ranks with 4k@120 4:4:4 :D

Last edited:
This dude nailed it, finally

Sorry CX users :( you will have to wait for the hdmi2.1 cards, looks like C9 is first off the ranks with 4k@120 4:4:4 :D

Eh? With the Club-3d adapter, the CX can also do 4k@120 4:4:4. The only thing in the picture the CX cannot do is 12-bit color, which is a non-issue since the panel is 10-bit, just like on the C9.

THE question that is still outstanding that yet no one reliably has been able to answer; can the Club-3d adapter do 4k@120 4:4:4/RGB with HDR at 10-bit color on the CX.

the OLED gets more crisp the farther away (within reason) you sit :geek:

That image is taken sidelong and at way too near of a viewing distance to be fair. Cameras also have their own bias as was mentioned up front. I wouldn't sit closer than 40" to 48" (4') away viewing a 48" and as a gaming/media monitor it would be directly viewed from that viewing perspective.

Yes it even looks pale compared to the 43" on either side of it because they are 4200:1 and 6100:1 contrast 60hz VA TVs with the accompanying black depths while the 32" LG gk850g is lucky to get near 3000:1. Still way better than non-fald TN and IPS edge lit 860:1 to 1000:1 contrast and accompanying weak black depths for now. These oleds are in a league of their own all being inf:1 since they can be turned down and off per pixel.

I just watched the linus vid on a 5120x1440 samsung Odyssey G9 260Hz curved gaming display which wasn't even hdmi 2.1 capable (dp 1.4), has 8bit rgb, 1152 zone FALD and cost around $1600. FALD helps but it won't be per pixel "off oled black and infinite:1 contrast ratio. It's definitely wide but it's still a belt at only ~ 13 tall, like two 27" 16:9 monitors side by side. A FALD will be trying to balance "dim halos" and "glow halos" in their limited humber of zones which has it's own trade-offs in the end result. With the dim/glow zone balancing they aren't capable of hitting their peak HDR color volume / color-brightness % windows that they are spec'd to be all of the time and they will lose some detail in colors and detail in blacks throughout scenes. . I'd still consider a FALD or ULED for my living room tv someday since I have direct sunlight heat concerns vs running an oled with it's back to my picture window, but I am not really intersted in ~13" tall pc monitors without hdmi 2.1 (or dp 2.0) at very high prices anymore.
The G9 does not use a FALD. It is edge-lit with 10 zones. If it had a FALD it would cost at least $1,000 more than it does.

hey cool guy, I live on the southern coast of alabama, and i got mine in 2 days too..best buy is getting these things like they stole them.

I did find it kind of weird that bestbuy/fedex didn’t require a signature on a 1,600 purchase..seems like I’ve had to sign for almost everything like $400+. but they just sat it at my door, a giant blue box with the giant font reading LG CX OLED, just sitting at my front door step like it was a pizza.
Same thing happened to me with Best buy. No text, email or notification. It was sitting on my porch on the freakin 4th of July! If I didn't need to go get ice I would have never known it was there. Unbelievable

I just tested this and it works! I enabled GPU scaling (No scaling) in de Nvidia control panel and set 1920x1080 resolution with 120Hz. I indeed do get a small window in de middle. The tv still reports 3840x2160 and 120Hz as the input resolution.
How big is your window.? 27 or 32 inches

Eh? With the Club-3d adapter, the CX can also do 4k@120 4:4:4. The only thing in the picture the CX cannot do is 12-bit color, which is a non-issue since the panel is 10-bit, just like on the C9.

THE question that is still outstanding that yet no one reliably has been able to answer; can the Club-3d adapter do 4k@120 4:4:4/RGB with HDR at 10-bit color on the CX.

yes the club3d adapter is running off of a displayport. dp can do 10bit off of nvidia gpus.

Nvidia just doesn't allow 10bit from their hdmi 2.0 output. Nvidia does allow 12bit that gets "downsampled" to 10bit. A CX won't be able to do 12bit 120hz 4k 444 into it's hdmi 2.1 ports to be converted down to 10bit since they aren't 48Gbps to accept the larger 12bit signal. However by the time nvidia's 7nm 3000 series gpus comes out they will probably have hdmi 2.1 output and start supporting 10bit output to the 10 bit panel's 40Gbps hdmi 2.1 ports (almost certainly though this has zero confirmation to date). Dp 2.0 outputs whenever those show up should someday be able to be adapted to hdmi 2.1 fully too.

Some have claimed that 12bit signals can look marginally better on 10 bit panels due to minor signal loss in processing (regular processing, not due to cable quality/distance, etc. loss). The idea is that this would be something like downsampling 8k or 5k to a 4k panel but with color resolution instead. I have no experience with this personally but side by side I doubt "supersampling color resolution" would be noticeable in gaming and media.

The G9 does not use a FALD. It is edge-lit with 10 zones. If it had a FALD it would cost at least $1,000 more than it does.

Thanks.. that makes it even worse .. though the ~ 13" height and no hdmi 2.1 is bad enough for me. I guess I heard linus say something about FALD in the video. I was just writing down what I had heard spoken in the audio on youtube (another reason I don't prefer video reviews by themselves) and saw the # of zones off of google somewhere. :confused:
.. if they made that $1600 dp 1.4 no hdmi 2.1 , 13" edge/zone dimming display into a +$1000 more FALD version at something like $2600 that would be ridiculous pricing for what you get too in my opinion.

from reddit:
Samsung Odyssey G9 Full Specs - 420 nits (typ), 1000 nits (peak), 2500:1 Contrast, 10-Bit color support, 125% sRGB, 95% DCI-P3, 92% Adobe RGB, 88% NTSC, FreeSync Premium Pro, G-Sync Compatible,

Same as the CRG90 - just 10 local dimming zones.

Obviously Samsung has no business calling this an HDR monitor, but it's the best in its size class. It can reach 1000 nit peak brightness and has a 3000:1ish contrast ratio which is absolutely fantastic.

This is basically a more curved CRG90 with a higher refresh rate.

I've not been paying attention to typical gaming monitors much or at all anymore. Anything w/o hdmi 2.1 , full 444 120hz 4k VRR (10bit) and extreme black depths/contrast isn't worth considering to me with the LG's OLEDs now and later Vizio's this year. (n)

Last edited:
I thought the 850G was great after coming from an IPS.
I feel that it's a step backward for me; I place (some) value on color accuracy, and I've thus far failed to achieve through over half a dozen passes that have incorporated progressively more manual tuning with my Spyder 4 what can be achieved on any of my IPS screens in a single automated pass.

I don't even think that the greater contrast is of much value given the abysmal response times that darker tones incur, and the panel definitely isn't as sharp as it could / should be.

On balance, I can live with and work with damn near anything, so I haven't thrown it out; but it's also definitely my last VA for personal use.

I'm looking at either the LG 38" ultrawide or the 48CX.
I took a quick shot of my 65" C7 while on a gray background. I was at about a 45 degree angle and maybe 3ft away. If I were to walk left across the screen, the "red" would move with me. From 6-7' away and centered, it's far more difficult to perceive.

My C9 doesn't look as nearly as bad as the C7, and the camera makes things more pronounced than I see with my eyes. I find it hard to imagine anyone being bothered by it in normal situations...I hadn't even noticed it.

View attachment 260286
My 55B7 behaves exactly like this. I notice it when I'm walking by, but not across the room on the couch; I haven't tried to put it to use as a desktop display given its location and that I'd need to move my gaming desktop rig over to put it through its paces. I did use it briefly while doing some testing (only 'spare' monitor at the time), and for stuff like navigating UIs and terminals, it was fine.

I feel that it's a step backward for me; I place (some) value on color accuracy, and I've thus far failed to achieve through over half a dozen passes that have incorporated progressively more manual tuning with my Spyder 4 what can be achieved on any of my IPS screens in a single automated pass.

I don't even think that the greater contrast is of much value given the abysmal response times that darker tones incur, and the panel definitely isn't as sharp as it could / should be.

On balance, I can live with and work with damn near anything, so I haven't thrown it out; but it's also definitely my last VA for personal use.

I'm looking at either the LG 38" ultrawide or the 48CX.
I just sold my LG 38" after using it for a few months and replaced it with the 48CX. They are both nice but the colors on the OLED are amazing(my first one).

I am using a 1080 Ti currently and looking forward to the 3xxx series to really unlock the CX.

Here is my cunundrum. I
I just sold my LG 38" after using it for a few months and replaced it with the 48CX. They are both nice but the colors on the OLED are amazing(my first one).

I am using a 1080 Ti currently and looking forward to the 3xxx series to really unlock the CX.
What games have you played that give 60 fps and at what resolution? I have a 2080 Super in my rig and a 48CX sitting in my closet. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. I would love to get 60 fps @ 4k when Horizon Zero Dawn drops.

A RX580 @ 1080p achieves 62FPS in Horizon with PS4 Pro equivalent graphical settings so 60/4K can probably happen.

What games have you played that give 60 fps and at what resolution? I have a 2080 Super in my rig and a 48CX sitting in my closet. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. I would love to get 60 fps @ 4k when Horizon Zero Dawn drops.
Currently I am playing generation zero and warhammer 2. Both can run at the 60fps at 4k. If I drop to the 4:2:0 then I can do 120hz at 4k. Looks ugly on the desktop but games do not seem to be affected the same way.

I still haven't peeled the film off the front/back because after doing so it becomes a used product in my brain. Gonna take the mental leap today.

Just got my 48 CX. Does anyone know which arm mount can hold it up on a desk?
Kind of confused at how game mode works on this thing. So I can leave it on a calibrated ISF mode and have "Instantaneous Game Response" on so it triggers into the underlying "game" mode when I play games on pc?

Any recommendations on a quick start to settings? Sharpness should be 0 right?

Mine seems to title forward a bit Any one else notice that?

Attachments

• 20200710_093022.jpg
    20200710_093022.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: elvn
like this
I've been progressively working myself down, and am now doing WFH desktop work at OLED light 0 on a sunny day with no trouble seeing anything. STAY AWAY BURN IN!

I still haven't peeled the film off the front/back because after doing so it becomes a used product in my brain. Gonna take the mental leap today.
HAHAHAHAHHA ...same here, but it's because I'm still deciding what wall mount arm to get...
maybe thats the reason its so glossy...

I've been progressively working myself down, and am now doing WFH desktop work at OLED light 0 on a sunny day with no trouble seeing anything. STAY AWAY BURN IN!

OLED light 0? That's gotta be like 50 nits or something. Don't worry too much about burn-in with higher OLED light values, as long as you are taking the proper precautions, you'll be totally fine (y). People here have been using their OLEDs as monitors for YEARS without burn in while running reasonable brightness levels. This is probably gonna hurt some feelings but I say the only way you're gonna get burn in within less than 5 years is if you are just dumb and careless with your OLED.

OLED light 0? That's gotta be like 50 nits or something. Don't worry too much about burn-in with higher OLED light values, as long as you are taking the proper precautions, you'll be totally fine (y). People here have been using their OLEDs as monitors for YEARS without burn in while running reasonable brightness levels. This is probably gonna hurt some feelings but I say the only way you're gonna get burn in within less than 5 years is if you are just dumb and careless with your OLED.

It's totally usable for coding/productivity, and I definitely have windows sitting around in the same positions for long periods of time while WFH, so why not? Better safe than sorry.

For SDR gaming/videos I run it at OLED light 40.

It's totally usable for coding/productivity, and I definitely have windows sitting around in the same positions for long periods of time while WFH, so why not? Better safe than sorry.

For SDR gaming/videos I run it at OLED light 40.

Hey if it's totally useable go for it, just don't want you straining your eyes or anything from too dim of a screen. ;)

Here is my cunundrum. I

HZD will probably support DLSS since death stranding does, I'd have thought almost any super card could do 4k@60 with dlss

Anyone else do more testing with the Club 3D adapter? A guy on AVS forums says he also has problems with adapter blanking out, needing power resets etc. Wondering if I should just cancel my order for one.

Anyone else do more testing with the Club 3D adapter? A guy on AVS forums says he also has problems with adapter blanking out, needing power resets etc. Wondering if I should just cancel my order for one.
Mine is on order also and supposed to be here next week.

Not sure how many ordered/have one in this thread?

Mine has been on order since start of the week, been getting pushed further and further. Availability is now next Monday but I doubt it will ship. But I hope maybe next week is the time and then I can try it with both CX and C9 using a 2080 Ti so kind of the best possible setup.

Someone on AVS forums mentioned they had issues with it using the CableMatters HDMI 2.1 cables, same as I have...

Last edited:
Back