LG 48CX

It's not the weight that makes it awkward, it's the lack of anything to grab onto. Someone mentioned earlier that they should just extend the back of the TV where the IO is up to the top. I think the just need to build in some sort of handle or include some kind of removable attachment for mounting. Personally I don't care if half of the TV is only 0.5mm thick or whatever.

It's not the weight that makes it awkward, it's the lack of anything to grab onto. Someone mentioned earlier that they should just extend the back of the TV where the IO is up to the top. I think the just need to build in some sort of handle or include some kind of removable attachment for mounting. Personally I don't care if half of the TV is only 0.5mm thick or whatever.

The main issue is that the stand is incredibly excessive in both size and weight. It pokes out a lot from the back:

c9-thickness-small.jpg

vs a 2016 Samsung KS8000 that I replaced with the LG C9:

ks8000-thickness-small.jpg

A Samsung style breakout box for connecting things would also be much easier to work with.

Anyone considering the LG CX 48" would do well to start also considering a heavy duty monitor arm unless you have a very deep desk to deal with the bulky stand and are ok with having zero adjustment range.

The main issue is that the stand is incredibly excessive in both size and weight. It pokes out a lot from the back:

View attachment 221344

vs a 2016 Samsung KS8000 that I replaced with the LG C9:

View attachment 221345

A Samsung style breakout box for connecting things would also be much easier to work with.

Anyone considering the LG CX 48" would do well to start also considering a heavy duty monitor arm unless you have a very deep desk to deal with the bulky stand and are ok with having zero adjustment range.

100% agree. Even for TV use, the unit sits so low a soundbar is not useable without blocking some of the screen. Thankfully I ended up going with a stereo system that doesnt have anything blocking the TV.

For PC use case, I have all kinds of shit sitting around on my desk and I would definitely want it mounted.

This took me on a tangent of it's a shame that you can't (I believe) select where the picture is output with a 1:1 non native resolution.

You could totally wall mount, have the screen going below the desktop and then lower the resolution to 3840 * 1660, display the picture flush to the top edge and the bottom 5 inches just black, boom "gypsy ultrawide" I'd consider that.

I said I wasn’t going to get another 48” display this time- unless this gets terrible reviews it looks like I am wrong.

I said I wasn’t going to get another 48” display this time- unless this gets terrible reviews it looks like I am wrong.

Anyone considering getting this as computer monitor for more than games/videos should really look at how it shows text before buying. I tried to live with the text rendering issues on my 55" C9 for over a month, and couldn't get used to it - it was truly annoying. After a while, I disabled ClearType, and it was overall better with just grayscale smoothing, but inferior to an LCD with ClearType, of course, so still couldn't live with it. I gave up on it for anything other than games/videos, and switched to a 55" LG IPS TV which renders text very well.

Yeah that's one of the reasons I ditched mine last week. Text looks bad, HDR in PC mode is atrocious and basically unusable especially if you use madVR + I got tired of the babysitting.

As a media consumption / secondary gaming display it's awesome but too many quirks as a dedicated monitor IMO.
So, that being said...are you expecting the 48" to solve any of those issues or believe it will likely be pretty much the same, thus, unusable for you as a full time monitor.

Obviously we'll have to wait for release to see what the real deal is about this unit.

No mention of a change in the sub-pixel structure for the CX, so the text rendering problem will remain.

I just tried the Better Cleartype Tuner with RGB and grayscale AA settings and grayscale definitely looks better on my 65" LG C9. If I look at the display close enough I could see some fringing on this very page for example but it was not possible to see on white background and black text pages for example. Tried PC vs game console mode but didn't see much difference between those.

For the record MacOS Mojave and above defaults to no font smoothing these days as most Macs have very high PPI displays. If enabled it uses grayscale font smoothing. But MacOS does not align text to a pixel grid like Windows does so it's not quite the same use case.

Last edited:
I don't have any problems with the text rendering on my 65" C9, so I expect none with the CX. However, I also don't intend to use it any closer than 36" and scaling will likely be set to at least 125% if not 150%, I'll have to test that out.

We shall see when it's released. I learned my lesson a long time ago about pre-ordering. I let others review things for me.

I've been mostly happy with my 5yr old Samsung UN48JU6700F, it's not a bad display, it's just not very flexible. 8bit and not true HDR. Would like something better.

When using DPI scaling (150%) I think text looks fine on my 55" C6. With no scaling, I would agree it doesn't look as good as an LCD. So if you use DPI scaling - may not be an issue.

I don't have any problems with the text rendering on my 65" C9, so I expect none with the CX. However, I also don't intend to use it any closer than 36" and scaling will likely be set to at least 125% if not 150%, I'll have to test that out.

This is how I feel as well. I've had no qualms with the text quality on my 55" B7, and I would expect it to be at least as good (or better) on the 48CX due to the smaller pixel size. If I get really really close to the screen, I can see some minor fringing but I can't say that it's noticeably worse than other large displays that I've used. It's certainly nowhere in the ballpark of "awful" but obviously I can't speak for everyone as much of it is going to depend on visual acuity and viewing distance.

Being totally objective, text on the B7 might be a tad fuzzier than it was on my UN48JS9000, but I would also expect it to be because that display had smaller pixels. I remember enabling 4:4:4 on the Samsungs for the first time and being awed at how sharp the text was compared to previous TVs that I had tried that only supported 4:2:2 or 4:2:0. I find the 55B7 totally acceptable for daily use though, and being that I use it for work (not just games and movies) I deal with a lot of text between websites and application windows. With that being said, I haven't experimented with the ClearType Tuner. Perhaps I'll download that just to see if there's an improvement to be had as kasakka mentioned, but I really have no complaints as it is now. It excels in everything else so much that it's simply a non-issue for me. If I found the text horrible then there's no way I could have worked off it daily for the past couple of years.

48" is still way too big for even a 3FT deep desk which is what I used a 49" X900F with prior.

Not sure what you're talking about, 36" is the ITU recommended viewing distance for a 48" 16:9 display(1.5x height or 0.75x diagonal) -- if you think it's way too big chances are you like your screens further away than is best, which is fine if that's your preference, but it's not really useful for anybody else.

It doesn't matter how deep your desk is because you can mount displays behind your desk, though. Just matters how much room space you have.

I figure if you want HDR for a particular game you can just switch modes for that... assuming they don't resolve the various issues, which it seems like they ought to now they're advertising this specifically for gaming.

If you insist on using small fonts on a low ppi display, why not turn off antialiasing? It looks way better (with properly "hinted" fonts) than the blurry mess AA makes when it doesn't have enough pixels.

So two loud users hate text on the OLEDs and are basically writing them off already, while the rest don't care and use them regularly.
Hmm

Sounds like horses for courses and setup.

If you insist on using small fonts on a low ppi display, why not turn off antialiasing? It looks way better (with properly "hinted" fonts) than the blurry mess AA makes when it doesn't have enough pixels.

It's not the PPI. The LG 55SM9000 (RGB IPS panel) renders small ClearType fonts fine, and it has the same PPI as the 55 C9 which is a mess of fringing with ClearType. The problem is the different sub-pixel structure on the LG OLED.

So two loud users hate text on the OLEDs and are basically writing them off already, while the rest don't care and use them regularly.
Hmm

Sounds like horses for courses and setup.
Wait for the reviews.

Wait for the reviews.

Most reviews are going to focus on its performance as a TV and gaming screen... both of which I am sure it will perform quite admirably. Needs a PCMonitors or TFTCentral review to highlight any text issues, and outside of that it's very much going to be down to user preference.

It's not the PPI. The LG 55SM9000 (RGB IPS panel) renders small ClearType fonts fine, and it has the same PPI as the 55 C9 which is a mess of fringing with ClearType. The problem is the different sub-pixel structure on the LG OLED.

I know Cleartype is limited to RGB/BGR. My point is, why use antialiasing at all?

I know Cleartype is limited to RGB/BGR. My point is, why use antialiasing at all?

What you would want to achieve is font rendering quality which is at least as good as ClearType fonts on an LCD. There is currently no way to achieve that on the LG OLED. You don't get it with ClearType enabled or disabled. With ClearType enabled, you get fringing on the OLED. With ClearType disabled, the fringing goes away, but the font rendering is worse than on an LCD with ClearType enabled. You lose the better font rendering of ClearType. There is nothing you can do currently to make the fonts on the 55" C9 (with or without ClearType) look as good as the fonts on the 55" SM9000 (with ClearType). Maybe someday there will be ClearType support for the LG OLED sub-pixel structure, although I don't know if it's technically feasible or not.

I thought I would just get used to the inferior text. It is usable - it's not horrible, but it isn't good. Ultimately, I gave up on it - I spend too many hours with text. I switched to the 55" IPS TV, and it has been a great relief. The annoyance is gone.

Most reviews are going to focus on its performance as a TV and gaming screen... both of which I am sure it will perform quite admirably. Needs a PCMonitors or TFTCentral review to highlight any text issues, and outside of that it's very much going to be down to user preference.
Its nice you know how all the reviews are before they actually come out.

What you would want to achieve is font rendering quality which is at least as good as ClearType fonts on an LCD. There is currently no way to achieve that on the LG OLED.

I agree that Cleartype (when it works) is better than AA without Cleartype. But as far as Cleartype versus no-AA, that's personal preference. One is not better than the other in all respects.

You don't get it with ClearType enabled or disabled. With ClearType enabled, you get fringing on the OLED. With ClearType disabled, the fringing goes away, but the font rendering is worse than on an LCD with ClearType enabled.

You haven't mentioned the option of turning font smoothing completely off. I'm not sure if you can still do this in Win10 without a registry hack though, but Google probably knows. I don't care to dig into it at this point.

You haven't mentioned the option of turning font smoothing completely off. I'm not sure if you can still do this in Win10 without a registry hack though, but Google probably knows. I don't care to dig into it at this point.

There is a way to do it using a systems performance options utility, but the results look horrible.

Using Better Clear Type Tuner works more effectively than Win10's version.

Time will tell how people get on with the 48CX as a general use monitor, but given how many people I see saying that they don't mind the 43" BGR monitors (which are arguably the worst monitors for text reproduction currently on the market), then I'm quite sure most will be absolutely fine with the OLED. Besides, I see this being used more as a gaming monitor than for working on spreadsheets all day, and the gaming benefits of this screen crush any LCD into oblivion, therefore the text trade off (if any) won't be an issue for the most part. For those that do want to use this as their sole dedicated mixed-use monitor, it's all going to come down to personal preference.... some will love it, some will hate it.

Better ClearType Tuner doesn't actually help in any way. It's just a different interface for doing the same thing.

Also, ClearType works well with BGR monitors. For example, the ones based on the 43" LG BGR IPS panel like the HP Z43 and the Dell and LG monitors based on ther same panel. There may be text issues with the specific panel used in the XG43Q and CG437K (I don't have those), but those issues are not a result of BGR.

Better ClearType Tuner doesn't actually help in any way. It's just a different interface for doing the same thing.

Also, ClearType works well with BGR monitors. For example, the ones based on the 43" LG BGR IPS panel like the HP Z43 and the Dell and LG monitors based on ther same panel. There may be text issues with the specific panel used in the XG43Q and CG437K (I don't have those), but those issues are not a result of BGR.

Better ClearType is a superior solution to Windows version on the 43" XG438Q and CG437K, both of which I tried. Still woeful text reproduction either way, but it's superior with Better ClearType.

36" from a 48" still requires turning your head.

No, it doesn't. WTF?

I don't really care what who recommends because it's completely irrelevant unless you have something that size in front of you which I have.

What are you talking about? This is a simple matter of mathematics, there's no "having it in front of you" involved. 0.75x works great for 65" - it's 48.75, it works great for 60" at 45", it works great for 27" at 20.25".

+/- 3-4 inches each way is understandable(and pretty normal with different sitting positions anyway), but if you think watching a movie that close is dumb, you're just trying to push outside-the-optimal preferences as required. They are not.

Stop taking your preferences and trying to generalize them to people who know better.

Last edited:
Not exactly the 48'' but I got the 55'' C9 for desktop usage.
It's very nice. The image quality is something else.
The voice control stuff is actually quite nice as well.
The speakers are mediocre, even compared to my lowly 50EUR microlab Solo 6Cs. So just like a monitor.

4K is quite usable, text even looks better than my previous 27'' 1080p panel, so the ClearType issue isn't as bad as i was afraid it would be ( white/grey uses all 4 subpixels ). I'm using it at 125% scaling, even though i could probably use it at 100%.
1440p is much less nice so for the desktop.

What surprised me is how easy this thing is on the eyes ( considering it's 55'' ). Using dark themes, at very low brightness at night is *extremely* comfy.

Using Better Clear Type Tuner works more effectively than Win10's version.

Time will tell how people get on with the 48CX as a general use monitor, but given how many people I see saying that they don't mind the 43" BGR monitors (which are arguably the worst monitors for text reproduction currently on the market), then I'm quite sure most will be absolutely fine with the OLED. Besides, I see this being used more as a gaming monitor than for working on spreadsheets all day, and the gaming benefits of this screen crush any LCD into oblivion, therefore the text trade off (if any) won't be an issue for the most part. For those that do want to use this as their sole dedicated mixed-use monitor, it's all going to come down to personal preference.... some will love it, some will hate it.

Yeah I've got a Dell XPS 15 w/ 4K IPS laptop sitting next to me for that boring stuff. Bring on the OLED for gaming.

Was thinking about this the other day because of all of the implications it's causing in the IT space with my customers - wonder if the corona virus will end up delaying the new TV models out past the original "likely" release timeline. That would suck! Trying to be as patient as I can using NON OLED BULLSHIT DISPLAYS.

Was thinking about this the other day because of all of the implications it's causing in the IT space with my customers - wonder if the corona virus will end up delaying the new TV models out past the original "likely" release timeline. That would suck! Trying to be as patient as I can using NON OLED BULLSHIT DISPLAYS.

Companies like Apple are already blaming supply issues in China for missing their numbers next quarter. Although, having worked in capital markets before, I know from experience these companies will pile everything they can on these extraordinary events to excuse their performance. I recall LG was working on ramping their plant in China where a lot of these OLEDs will come from. So same as you, I really hope this does not delay these displays as I have been waiting for a display like this for a very very long time.

Companies like Apple are already blaming supply issues in China for missing their numbers next quarter. Although, having worked in capital markets before, I know from experience these companies will pile everything they can on these extraordinary events to excuse their performance. I recall LG was working on ramping their plant in China where a lot of these OLEDs will come from. So same as you, I really hope this does not delay these displays as I have been waiting for a display like this for a very very long time.

I was hoping to stagger the purchase of the CX and whatever Nvidia card drops with HDMI 2.1 - if they both come out around the same time, my family won't be eating for a couple of months. :ROFLMAO:

I get the feel trying to be one early adopter of 48CX will be equal to trying to get the best deals on Black Friday. :D This thing will probably fly off the shelves at launch and if the supply will be bad it'll be even worse. There's a chance even LG will be suprised by the demand I think. A lot of monitor interested users in here but I just want to replace a 10 year old 42" Panasonic Plasma TV myself and don't have space for 55" so there hasn't really been any options until now.

I get the feel trying to be one early adopter of 48CX will be equal to trying to get the best deals on Black Friday. :D This thing will probably fly off the shelves at launch and if the supply will be bad it'll be even worse. There's a chance even LG will be suprised by the demand I think. A lot of monitor interested users in here but I just want to replace a 10 year old 42" Panasonic Plasma TV myself and don't have space for 55" so there hasn't really been any options until now.

I dunno man - I don't think it'll be as crazy as you think if LG has decent inventory levels. From a GAMING perspective, this is an EXPENSIVE item. Oh, and from a TV perspective? It's also extremely expensive for a 48 inch TV. Most people aren't on the OLED train yet in terms of caring about PQ as much as some of us in terms of what they get for their $. The average Joe's are still going to be looking at 65-75 LED TV's on sale as fantastic deals that will hold them over until OLED is at the price point of LED.

I dunno man - I don't think it'll be as crazy as you think if LG has decent inventory levels. From a GAMING perspective, this is an EXPENSIVE item. Oh, and from a TV perspective? It's also extremely expensive for a 48 inch TV. Most people aren't on the OLED train yet in terms of caring about PQ as much as some of us in terms of what they get for their $. The average Joe's are still going to be looking at 65-75 LED TV's on sale as fantastic deals that will hold them over until OLED is at the price point of LED.

He's right. Was just at Walmart the other day in the USA, had lots of 70" 4K TV's for like $550 and 65" 4K TV's for like $450 (Samsung 2018 NU6900 series so no "made-in-china" brands or anything). This 48" TV will be what? $1,500~$2,000 on launch? 99 out of 100 average joes would rather go for the 70" for 3x less the price (their loss but can't blame them for the price to size ratio).

He's right. Was just at Walmart the other day in the USA, had lots of 70" 4K TV's for like $550 and 65" 4K TV's for like $450 (Samsung 2018 NU6900 series so no "made-in-china" brands or anything). This 48" TV will be what? $1,500~$2,000 on launch? 99 out of 100 average joes would rather go for the 70" for 3x less the price (their loss but can't blame them for the price to size ratio).

The average Joe buys the biggest cheapest tv at Walmart that has all their display models connected to a VCR split 30 ways over coax.

But I still wouldn't be surprised if this sells out at launch. People grossly underestimate how many people buy top end stuff like this. Especially when it's this big of a technological leap. It's not like it's an exotic car that no one can afford.

Back