LG 48CX

Sancus

Gawd
You don't get it with ClearType enabled or disabled. With ClearType enabled, you get fringing on the OLED. With ClearType disabled, the fringing goes away, but the font rendering is worse than on an LCD with ClearType enabled.
You haven't mentioned the option of turning font smoothing completely off. I'm not sure if you can still do this in Win10 without a registry hack though, but Google probably knows. I don't care to dig into it at this point.

You haven't mentioned the option of turning font smoothing completely off. I'm not sure if you can still do this in Win10 without a registry hack though, but Google probably knows. I don't care to dig into it at this point.
There is a way to do it using a systems performance options utility, but the results look horrible.

bananadude

Limp Gawd

Using Better Clear Type Tuner works more effectively than Win10's version.

Time will tell how people get on with the 48CX as a general use monitor, but given how many people I see saying that they don't mind the 43" BGR monitors (which are arguably the worst monitors for text reproduction currently on the market), then I'm quite sure most will be absolutely fine with the OLED. Besides, I see this being used more as a gaming monitor than for working on spreadsheets all day, and the gaming benefits of this screen crush any LCD into oblivion, therefore the text trade off (if any) won't be an issue for the most part. For those that do want to use this as their sole dedicated mixed-use monitor, it's all going to come down to personal preference.... some will love it, some will hate it.

Better ClearType Tuner doesn't actually help in any way. It's just a different interface for doing the same thing.

Also, ClearType works well with BGR monitors. For example, the ones based on the 43" LG BGR IPS panel like the HP Z43 and the Dell and LG monitors based on ther same panel. There may be text issues with the specific panel used in the XG43Q and CG437K (I don't have those), but those issues are not a result of BGR.

bananadude

Limp Gawd
Better ClearType Tuner doesn't actually help in any way. It's just a different interface for doing the same thing.

Also, ClearType works well with BGR monitors. For example, the ones based on the 43" LG BGR IPS panel like the HP Z43 and the Dell and LG monitors based on ther same panel. There may be text issues with the specific panel used in the XG43Q and CG437K (I don't have those), but those issues are not a result of BGR.

Better ClearType is a superior solution to Windows version on the 43" XG438Q and CG437K, both of which I tried. Still woeful text reproduction either way, but it's superior with Better ClearType.

AngryLobster

Clueless
Not sure what you're talking about, 36" is the ITU recommended viewing distance for a 48" 16:9 display(1.5x height or 0.75x diagonal) -- if you think it's way too big chances are you like your screens further away than is best, which is fine if that's your preference, but it's not really useful for anybody else.

It doesn't matter how deep your desk is because you can mount displays behind your desk, though. Just matters how much room space you have.

I figure if you want HDR for a particular game you can just switch modes for that... assuming they don't resolve the various issues, which it seems like they ought to now they're advertising this specifically for gaming.
36" from a 48" still requires turning your head. Watching a movie from that close is also just dumb. I don't really care what who recommends because it's completely irrelevant unless you have something that size in front of you which I have.

Sancus

Gawd
36" from a 48" still requires turning your head.
No, it doesn't. WTF?

I don't really care what who recommends because it's completely irrelevant unless you have something that size in front of you which I have.
What are you talking about? This is a simple matter of mathematics, there's no "having it in front of you" involved. 0.75x works great for 65" - it's 48.75, it works great for 60" at 45", it works great for 27" at 20.25".

+/- 3-4 inches each way is understandable(and pretty normal with different sitting positions anyway), but if you think watching a movie that close is dumb, you're just trying to push outside-the-optimal preferences as required. They are not.

Stop taking your preferences and trying to generalize them to people who know better.

Last edited:

Keller1

Weaksauce
Not exactly the 48'' but I got the 55'' C9 for desktop usage.
It's very nice. The image quality is something else.
The voice control stuff is actually quite nice as well.
The speakers are mediocre, even compared to my lowly 50EUR microlab Solo 6Cs. So just like a monitor.

4K is quite usable, text even looks better than my previous 27'' 1080p panel, so the ClearType issue isn't as bad as i was afraid it would be ( white/grey uses all 4 subpixels ). I'm using it at 125% scaling, even though i could probably use it at 100%.
1440p is much less nice so for the desktop.

What surprised me is how easy this thing is on the eyes ( considering it's 55'' ). Using dark themes, at very low brightness at night is *extremely* comfy.

delita

[H]ard|Gawd
Using Better Clear Type Tuner works more effectively than Win10's version.

Time will tell how people get on with the 48CX as a general use monitor, but given how many people I see saying that they don't mind the 43" BGR monitors (which are arguably the worst monitors for text reproduction currently on the market), then I'm quite sure most will be absolutely fine with the OLED. Besides, I see this being used more as a gaming monitor than for working on spreadsheets all day, and the gaming benefits of this screen crush any LCD into oblivion, therefore the text trade off (if any) won't be an issue for the most part. For those that do want to use this as their sole dedicated mixed-use monitor, it's all going to come down to personal preference.... some will love it, some will hate it.
Yeah I've got a Dell XPS 15 w/ 4K IPS laptop sitting next to me for that boring stuff. Bring on the OLED for gaming.

delita

[H]ard|Gawd
Was thinking about this the other day because of all of the implications it's causing in the IT space with my customers - wonder if the corona virus will end up delaying the new TV models out past the original "likely" release timeline. That would suck! Trying to be as patient as I can using NON OLED BULLSHIT DISPLAYS.

imsirovic5

Weaksauce
Was thinking about this the other day because of all of the implications it's causing in the IT space with my customers - wonder if the corona virus will end up delaying the new TV models out past the original "likely" release timeline. That would suck! Trying to be as patient as I can using NON OLED BULLSHIT DISPLAYS.
Companies like Apple are already blaming supply issues in China for missing their numbers next quarter. Although, having worked in capital markets before, I know from experience these companies will pile everything they can on these extraordinary events to excuse their performance. I recall LG was working on ramping their plant in China where a lot of these OLEDs will come from. So same as you, I really hope this does not delay these displays as I have been waiting for a display like this for a very very long time.

delita

[H]ard|Gawd
Companies like Apple are already blaming supply issues in China for missing their numbers next quarter. Although, having worked in capital markets before, I know from experience these companies will pile everything they can on these extraordinary events to excuse their performance. I recall LG was working on ramping their plant in China where a lot of these OLEDs will come from. So same as you, I really hope this does not delay these displays as I have been waiting for a display like this for a very very long time.
I was hoping to stagger the purchase of the CX and whatever Nvidia card drops with HDMI 2.1 - if they both come out around the same time, my family won't be eating for a couple of months. :ROFLMAO:

RPGWiZaRD

[H]ard|Gawd
I get the feel trying to be one early adopter of 48CX will be equal to trying to get the best deals on Black Friday. :D This thing will probably fly off the shelves at launch and if the supply will be bad it'll be even worse. There's a chance even LG will be suprised by the demand I think. A lot of monitor interested users in here but I just want to replace a 10 year old 42" Panasonic Plasma TV myself and don't have space for 55" so there hasn't really been any options until now.

delita

[H]ard|Gawd
I get the feel trying to be one early adopter of 48CX will be equal to trying to get the best deals on Black Friday. :D This thing will probably fly off the shelves at launch and if the supply will be bad it'll be even worse. There's a chance even LG will be suprised by the demand I think. A lot of monitor interested users in here but I just want to replace a 10 year old 42" Panasonic Plasma TV myself and don't have space for 55" so there hasn't really been any options until now.
I dunno man - I don't think it'll be as crazy as you think if LG has decent inventory levels. From a GAMING perspective, this is an EXPENSIVE item. Oh, and from a TV perspective? It's also extremely expensive for a 48 inch TV. Most people aren't on the OLED train yet in terms of caring about PQ as much as some of us in terms of what they get for their $. The average Joe's are still going to be looking at 65-75 LED TV's on sale as fantastic deals that will hold them over until OLED is at the price point of LED.

Seyumi

Limp Gawd
I dunno man - I don't think it'll be as crazy as you think if LG has decent inventory levels. From a GAMING perspective, this is an EXPENSIVE item. Oh, and from a TV perspective? It's also extremely expensive for a 48 inch TV. Most people aren't on the OLED train yet in terms of caring about PQ as much as some of us in terms of what they get for their $. The average Joe's are still going to be looking at 65-75 LED TV's on sale as fantastic deals that will hold them over until OLED is at the price point of LED.
He's right. Was just at Walmart the other day in the USA, had lots of 70" 4K TV's for like $550 and 65" 4K TV's for like $450 (Samsung 2018 NU6900 series so no "made-in-china" brands or anything). This 48" TV will be what? $1,500~$2,000 on launch? 99 out of 100 average joes would rather go for the 70" for 3x less the price (their loss but can't blame them for the price to size ratio).

sharknice

[H]ard|Gawd
He's right. Was just at Walmart the other day in the USA, had lots of 70" 4K TV's for like $550 and 65" 4K TV's for like $450 (Samsung 2018 NU6900 series so no "made-in-china" brands or anything). This 48" TV will be what? $1,500~$2,000 on launch? 99 out of 100 average joes would rather go for the 70" for 3x less the price (their loss but can't blame them for the price to size ratio).
The average Joe buys the biggest cheapest tv at Walmart that has all their display models connected to a VCR split 30 ways over coax.

But I still wouldn't be surprised if this sells out at launch. People grossly underestimate how many people buy top end stuff like this. Especially when it's this big of a technological leap. It's not like it's an exotic car that no one can afford.

zehoo

Limp Gawd
Comparison between Samsung and LG game modes. Sure it's the c9, but then CX can't be that different.

Last edited:

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Pretty much this, that's why the high end tv's went the way of the Dodo. Boggles my mind how people can't / won't see the picture quality differences. My sister in law even mocked the fact that I still have a Panasonic 65 inch VT60 plasma because it was so "big" and her brand new Samsung Q60 QLED (didn't know it was that obviously) was so thin and bright. Obviously she has in stock mode with all the visual *enhancements* turned on. I'm just waiting to move house and get the 77" OLED, she flipped when she found out how much that is. Genuinely doesn't know there's any difference over what she got.

If you don't care you don't care I guess. It's like arguing with my wife that I want a Range Rover or XC90, she doesn't see the point over our Honda CR-V. "It's just a car"

Astral Abyss

2[H]4U
Pretty much this, that's why the high end tv's went the way of the Dodo. Boggles my mind how people can't / won't see the picture quality differences. My sister in law even mocked the fact that I still have a Panasonic 65 inch VT60 plasma because it was so "big" and her brand new Samsung Q60 QLED (didn't know it was that obviously) was so thin and bright. Obviously she has in stock mode with all the visual *enhancements* turned on. I'm just waiting to move house and get the 77" OLED, she flipped when she found out how much that is. Genuinely doesn't know there's any difference over what she got.

If you don't care you don't care I guess. It's like arguing with my wife that I want a Range Rover or XC90, she doesn't see the point over our Honda CR-V. "It's just a car"
Let's be honest though, the Q60 is still better than what most people buy.

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
Let's be honest though, the Q60 is still better than what most people buy.
Absolutely it is. It was just a real and recent example. I literally sat and redid her config when I went round and actually, not terrible picture but before that, defaults, interpolation and all they crap on and no knowledge of an issue. My father in law supposedly does care and still had motion smoothing on full, the soap opera effect made me want to tear my eyes out.

It has been nice when people do come round though and notice mine is a ‘nice’ picture. Oh look skin in skin tones rather than overly saturated mess, who knew that was a thing.

Size and brightness, usually judged against an animated film in the store. That’s as good as most buying behaviour gets. Most people don’t even go into a Best Buy or similar. Just throw a TV in the trolley with the detergent at Costco or Walmart.

Same reason so many people have $200 1080p 24 inch screens. Increasingly it seems with expensive gaming rigs as well

N4CR

Supreme [H]ardness
Same reason so many people have $200 1080p 24 inch screens. Increasingly it seems with expensive gaming rigs as well
It took me many years of PC building and using to understand how important screen and input system is.
I just focused on the box because 'that's the computer, right?'

No point having all that stuff if you can't actually take advantage of it.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
I cringe when he says "QLED" TV. It's a LCD TV. Not sure why anyone would buy one of those POS's versus the OLED.
Because it's a QLED, bruh. The guy at Best Buy told me how amazing they are compared to those older LED TVs.

Plus, Q comes after O in the alphabet, so like...QLED must be better than OLED anyway. Plus they are so much more affordable! Personally, I'm waiting for the ZLED sets though.

braamer

[H]ard|Gawd
Because it's a QLED, bruh. The guy at Best Buy told me how amazing they are compared to those older LED TVs.

Plus, Q comes after O in the alphabet, so like...QLED must be better than OLED anyway. Plus they are so much more affordable! Personally, I'm waiting for the ZLED sets though.
You forgot, when QLED is written, it looks a lot like OLED too.

MistaSparkul

[H]ard|Gawd
Comparison between Samsung and LG game modes. Sure it's the c9, but then CX can't be that different.

Lol at how the benefits of FALD gets nerfed once game mode is enabled on the Sammy. Now the argument of brighter HDR/more saturated colors on QLED almost gets turned into a moot point once you factor game mode in.

Vega

Supreme [H]ardness
So I decided to test on my 55" OLED on what the 48" would look/play like inset on the 55" size. I was quite surprised on how much of a difference that 7 inches makes. It definitely took a lot of the "OMG this is huge" vibe away and plays much more manageable when it's back against the wall on your desk. If you have a 55" 4K and wish to test yourself, set a custom resolution to 3280x1844. Granted you won't have the full 4K clarity but it's still good to test the size.

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited:

IdiotInCharge

[H]F Junkie
So I decided to test on my 55" OLED on what the 48" would look/play like inset on the 55" size. I was quite surprised on how much of a difference that 7 inches makes. It definitely took a lot of the "OMG this is huge" vibe away and plays much more manageable when it's back against the wall on your desk. If you have a 55" 4K and wish to test yourself, set a custom resolution to 3280x1844. Granted you won't have the full 4K clarity but it's still good to test the size.

View attachment 225424

View attachment 225425

View attachment 225426
These aren't resolving for some reason?

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Yeah, my 48" Samsung definitely felt less like I had a TV on my desk. Obviously the PQ, image clarity and input lag are nowhere near the OLED but it is a more manageable size for those who are intimidated by 55" or find it unwieldy.

Think about it...43" is a fairly common size for large format monitors (Philips, Asus and Acer have -- or will have if they don't already -- multiple SKUs in the 43" monitor class). 48" isn't too much of a stretch from that. Noticeably larger, sure, but at 48" you're closer to the more common 43" size than 55".

tybert7

2[H]4U
Yeah, my 48" Samsung definitely felt less like I had a TV on my desk. Obviously the PQ, image clarity and input lag are nowhere near the OLED but it is a more manageable size for those who are intimidated by 55" or find it unwieldy.

Think about it...43" is a fairly common size for large format monitors (Philips, Asus and Acer have -- or will have if they don't already -- multiple SKUs in the 43" monitor class). 48" isn't too much of a stretch from that. Noticeably larger, sure, but at 48" you're closer to the more common 43" size than 55".

In am using a 43 inch Sony tv as a monitor now. At normal desk distances of 2-3 feet, it's a little big for certain types of games that benefit from a gods eye view of the entire screen like league of legends and shooters, but great for immersive games.

My second goal is to find some top flight adjustable tv arm where I can move the tv further away or closer at will for different types of content to get the best of all worlds.

RadXge

2[H]4U
I sit 5' away from my 55" OLED., which is installed on a 3rd party stand/mount.... My plan is to replace it by the 48" and move my setup 6" closer.... BTW, 4.5' is consistent with the distance suggested by THX for a 48" screen.

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
My second goal is to find some top flight adjustable tv arm where I can move the tv further away or closer at will for different types of content to get the best of all worlds.
They’re not cheap by any stretch but the heaviest duty Humanscale arms will hold it fairly handily. They are very well counterweighted so shit moves super easy and because they’re monitor centric they tend to be more adjustable. The tv ones tend to be limited

The new ones have lockout rings to stop you smacking screens into the wall too, ask me why I rate that feature :D. Seriously I won’t buy any other arms.

It’s also nice that you get nice flexible options too, you can put it on a slat rail, bolt through, slide on etc

The m8.1 (which I have) might hold it, but I’m a bit wary of expensive things on the edhe of an mechanical engineering limit so unless it ends up weighing <25 lbs

https://www.humanscale.com/products/monitor-arms/m-10

Iratus

[H]ard|Gawd
You'll need some kind of adapter plate since LG uses 300 x 200 mm for the OLEDs and those products only seem to go up to 200 x 200.
Yeah it’s easy enough. The standard adaptor (Though I’d get the 200*200) just screws over the adaptor plate. You wouldn’t even lose the quick release. Just won’t look as clean because the trim will be for the standard size.

You can just ping them a mail or contact a stockist confirm / validate too. One of the benefits of buying stuff from Humanscale or Ergotron tbh, they’re more expensive but they’re American companies so they are a lot easier to communicate with on non standard queries.

I do admit I have a bit of a love affair. All monitor stands, all desk lamps, Plus a bunch of chairs (though I let people choose those) I’m waiting on the new electric sit stand desks too.