Just ordered a GTX280!

JCNiest5

2[H]4U
From the Egg. Should be here next Wednesday if I let it go through. Not sure, though. Maybe I should cancel it. Wasn't a clear conscience order. Hhehheeh...

Ahh, buyers remorse ;) You know you'll end up keeping it... I would!

Post pics if/when you get it please :) Nothing like some amateur hardware pron :D

Also ordered a 1200W PSU with it as my current one doesn't have the 8-pin power cable. All in all, I spent like 1200 for those two items and a few other parts.

Will post pictures if I decide to go through with it.

Dude sideways upgrade for me stock 9800gx2 to a evga gtx 280 ftw edition!! :eek:

I can't believe people who owning a 8800 card are upgrading to this POS. This only next update for me will be when they double the speed of the 8800 with lower wattage and heat. Not some stupid inconsistency 10% increased in some area and 10% decrease in another area.

FYI: I'm going from a 8800GTS 320 to the GTX280, so I think it's gonna make a difference.

FYI: I'm going from a 8800GTS 320 to the GTX280, so I think it's gonna make a difference.

Yes but it's also come down to the size of your monitor and the resolution you're playing at and also if you're a very big gamers.

I just don't like the idea of people falling into this trap of buying these products and letting Nvidia think we approved of the way they are releasing tiny improvement from one card after another within 3 months. Instead of giving the people us what we want, they are just trying to cash in by releasing mediocre cards

I can't believe people who owning a 8800 card are upgrading to this POS. This only next update for me will be when they double the speed of the 8800 with lower wattage and heat. Not some stupid inconsistency 10% increased in some area and 10% decrease in another area.

Yes but it's also come down to the size of your monitor and the resolution you're playing at and also if you're a very big gamers.

I just don't like the idea of people falling into this trap of buying these products and letting Nvidia think we approved of the way they are releasing tiny improvement from one card after another within 3 months. Instead of giving the people us what we want, they are just trying to cash in by releasing mediocre cards

Theres someone like you in every GTX 280 thread :rolleyes:. I dont recall anyone forcing you to buy it either.

Enjoy your gold brick. I hope they deliver it through your Window landing in you good china cabinet knocking over and breaking some 5th Chinese Dynasty Vases along with destroying some plates that Abe Lincoln ate on the hour before he was shot, causing the cabinet to tip over into your 10,000 HDTV that falls over on your $1,000 Blu-Ray player that catches on fire causing the sprinkler system to go off ruining the treasure maps you have on your desk that would lead to the lost city of gold.

Congrat JCNiest5!!

Man I am jealous. I want to order one so bad.

But I just keep wanting to see if AMD will come out with something better.

Enjoy your gold brick. I hope they deliver it through your Window landing in you good china cabinet knocking over and breaking some 5th Chinese Dynasty Vases along with destroying some plates that Abe Lincoln ate on the hour before he was shot, causing the cabinet to tip over into your 10,000 HDTV that falls over on your $1,000 Blu-Ray player that catches on fire causing the sprinkler system to go off ruining the treasure maps you have on your desk that would lead to the lost city of gold.

You seem jealous.

WTF where did that come from? :confused::confused::confused:

Not in the slightest. He spent $650 on something that he could have paid $400 and gotten the same results.
The GTX 280 is a waste of money.

Theres someone like you in every GTX 280 thread :rolleyes:. I dont recall anyone forcing you to buy it either.

It's a forum and I can voice my opinion to whatever I want. I might be saving him a load of cash from not buying into it and regret it later and in another 3months Nvidia released another card.

If you follow the pattern Nvidia been going. It's pretty obvious they are milking it with all these new released and hardly much improvement over the 8800.

And your comment "Theres someone like you in every GTX 280 thread" is pretty ignorant. So you expect everyone should be like you and jump for joy and waste their money on this card if they already own a good 8800 or a 9800 card? Sorry, but some people like me like to have some common sense.

Not in the slightest. He spent $650 on something that he could have paid $400 and gotten the same results.

..in your opinion. You have no right to tell another person their purchase was a "waste", that is only for them to determine. Besides, if he wants it and has the disposable income to do it comfortably what business is that of yours to put down? Jealousy...it's not a nice thing. :p Back on topic, gratz op! I may very well be joining you, I think it's time for a new build. :D

Video cards come to me as often as they go through me, so I'm not sure if I will be keeping it. Since April or May, I sold my 9600GT and Stepped Up my 8800GTS G92 to the 9800GTX then sold it unopened in the box to another user on this forum. Will see about the GTX280.

And your comment "Theres someone like you in every GTX 280 thread" is pretty ignorant. So you expect everyone should be like you and jump for joy and waste their money on this card if they already own a good 8800 or a 9800 card? Sorry, but some people like me like to have some common sense.

Actually, its not ignorant at all. Its actually very accurate. Telling me that my comment was ignorant, was actually very ignorant on your behalf, because if you read almost any other GTX 280 thread, youll find more people just like you bashing this card to hell.

I dont expect anyone to be like me, apparently you expect everyone to be like you though, shoving this "GTX 280 is a waste" rant right down their throat. Common sense would be to understand the point of this card is for extremely high resolutions, and this card is not for everyone. I already own a 9800, and play at 1680x1050, the 9800 is plenty for me.

If you actually wanted to be helpful, youd explain to the OP that this card was meant for very high resolutions, and depending on his resolution, it may be wise for him to look at some other cards that suit him better.

..in your opinion. You have no right to tell another person their purchase was a "waste", that is only for them to determine. Besides, if he wants it and has the disposable income to do it comfortably what business is that of yours to put down? Jealousy...it's not a nice thing. :p Back on topic, gratz op! I may very well be joining you, I think it's time for a new build. :D
Lame comeback. I have every right to tell him what a waste of money it is as his right to say he went out and bought such a card.

Depends on what value you place on having a single GPU as fast as many multi-GPU solutions (and faster, if you crank up resolution/AA/AF), without the microstuttering and other problems associated with SLI/CF.

Video cards come to me as often as they go through me, so I'm not sure if I will be keeping it. Since April or May, I sold my 9600GT and Stepped Up my 8800GTS G92 to the 9800GTX then sold it unopened in the box to another user on this forum. Will see about the GTX280.

Should have stuck with the 9800GTX until later in the year when Nvidia releases version 2 of it's GTX 280 which would have been cheaper and faster.
Sucks to be an early adopter. You don't gain anything and lose quite a bit.

Lame comeback. I have every right to tell him what a waste of money it is as his right to say he went out and bought such a card.

Incorrect. First, it was not a "comeback", it was trying to nicely show you that you were/are out of line. Second, you made an absolute statement that is based on opinion and personal preference, thus it is out of place since that isn't possible. Third, go play nice with your GTS 320 and let the big boys play. :p

I don't see how everyone is bashing the 280's so harshly. If you look at the 8800 series, the 280 really does outperform it (2x sometimes). If everyone's so upset about the 280, why don't you wait for the refresh for 55nm? This is truly going to be a great time for cheap cards, because for the first time in a while this is going to be some competition. I also agree with one of the posters above, a SINGLE gpu card is more likely better than SLI/CF anyday, not because of who has the higher FPS, but microstuttering and other problems.

Ugh, I've been preaching to the wrong guy. These are the people that Nvidia or ATI love.

Incorrect. First, it was not a "comeback", it was trying to nicely show you that you were/are out of line. Second, you made an absolute statement that is based on opinion and personal preference, thus it is out of place since that isn't possible. Third, go play nice with your GTS 320 and let the big boys play. :p
He came here looking for an opinion and he got one. My GTS 320 has been working quite well for me over the year that I have had it, unlike him going out and blowing $1000 on video cards because he did not seem to be satisfied by 3 of Nvidia's Cards so he had to go out and buy a forth. In fact I have also been looking to take my 8800GTS 320, stick that into another Machine I have for Friends to come over and play on so I can go out and get myself a new video card. The 9800GTX would probably meet my needs just fine at $200.

I think the 280 is an amazing card. They just missed the mark on clock speeds. With 1GB and a 512-bit bus the card was clearly designed to be a better performer than it is. I'm guessing with the 1.4B transistors on 65nm chip they ran into a power/heat wall. If they can get the exact same card out with 750MHz+ core and 1700MHz+ shaders the card will be the total monster we were all hoping for.

At which point I will buy 3.

From the Egg. Should be here next Wednesday if I let it go through. Not sure, though. Maybe I should cancel it. Wasn't a clear conscience order. Hhehheeh...

I ordered one also, it was sort of an impulsive buy but then again, I am wanting better performance than my 8800GTX is currently giving me. If I get lucky, it will show up tomorrow.

Lots of crapping going on in this thread....cant you guys just stop arguing about this ?

Congrats on the card OP.......Let us know how you like it..

So many envious people in here today. At the OP, nice man! When you get it I wanna see some pics!:D

Last time I checked this was an enthusiast forum, which usually entails alot of early adopters whom pay top price for there hobby and willingly share information for other enthusiast/hobbiests to help with issues and buying considerations. Those who are complaining should take a look at there own crappy systems perhaps before spouting off "advice" to someone else. It's people like the OP whom are helpful by adopting early to inform the rest of us of there experiences, which not all reviews tell us.

Back