Just ordered a GTX280!

Yeah it's your money fueling Nvidia's idiocy. Why not save that $600 and buy a 9800GTX, it should run the game just fine for $200. Put that $400 into a better motherboard or cpu.
Its not on highend card they make money, it is on low/midendcard like 8800GT/9800GTX and so on that fill their pocket as the card is cheap to make and relativly expensive to buy. Superhighend is made just for us how needs/wants them and are willing to pay for it but it makes no big money in the long run as 512-bit bus is expensive as hell.

I couldn't resist using my Step Up too...

The GX2 was expensive, but wasen't as shocking at $600 bucks because it was 2 cards in 1.

I went for the SSC when I baught my GX2, so only $40 bucks was required to get me into a 280. How can you beat that?

My Step Up has been processed, and my GX2 is on it's way back to EVGA right now!

Looking foward to my new toy. I algo grabbed it a water block too. No fan noise and extra low temps might be nice features to have with this card... :D

I run at 1920 x 1200. I would like to know at that res, how much AA in general, will allow the 280 to show it's speed over the GX2?

Probably depends on the game...

Oh well, here's to no microstutters anyway!! :cool:
Same here, only 12 Euro for stepupcost so no remorse to use the stupid SLI-for-beginners 9800Gx2 as downpayment for the real deal and no CF/SLI related isses in the future, at least until the big decision is made.

Just to add fuel to the fire. I have 9800GTX SLI. I play age of conan. At 1920x1200 and all settings maxed out, a single 9800GTX has only about 20FPS in most areas. If i enable SLI i get good framerates but i also have lockups because the game just pisses all over SLI drivers. So for someone like myself who plays a game that is unfriendly to SLI, the NEXT BEST CARD TO THE 280 just wont cut it. So thats why people are buying the best single gpu card on the market right now.

Also, i had Wendy's for lunch.

As far as other vices go, hell my car payment is 330 a month, a new video card every 6months or a year is hardly a dent compared to some of the other shit i blow money on. I think i spend around 50-60 a month just on booze. At least the video card isnt gonna kill me :D

I figure if ATI comes out with a monster, I could get more for a 280 than a GX2 if I ever decide to switch camps.

I am starting to think 1 monster card, and the 512 bit bus is the way to go.

You only get 1 chance to Step Up, I say toss them a couple $20's, (If you were a GX2 guy) and get a new card.

I gotta believe nVidia will be working hard to make the driver all that it can be. I also think that making 1 monster card work properly, is easier than getting two in SLI to do the same.

+ It's new and shiny... That's just gotta be worth somthin too? :D

got one for $440 AR :)

280ew2.png

selling my 8800 gts 512 now..

i'm guessing that was when they were doing the 35% promo. It looks like its down to 15% which would be about $100 off. I haven't decided if I am going to go with the 280 yet. I'm looking at either going with 260SLI, 4870CF, or the 280, but waiting for the 4870 reviews. I would prefer to go with a SLI/CF solution, but i keep hearing about these SLI/CF microsutter issues and its making me lean towards the 280.

Wow...I'm the thread starter and I'm stunned as how much bashing people have on each other. Gonna sell it to the those who bash the most...interest? Hhehehee....

Its interesting how this new card has brought out so much animosity. I don't get why people are so concerned on how a complete stranger spends their money.

If this new card is twice faster than my 8800GTX for that price, then I wouldn't be here preaching bad crap about it. +20% increased and -10% decreased in certain applications/games does not make this card worthy.

I trust you can do the math? Its not always 2x faster, but there is a healthy 50% + speed up on average :rolleyes:

HD 4850 $175 @ the 'egg

Wrong forum to get excited about AMD mid range product. 8800GT's are hitting $120 AR, so its not like AMD have monopoly there.

I trust you can do the math? Its not always 2x faster, but there is a healthy 50% + speed up on average :rolleyes:

Wrong forum to get excited about AMD mid range product. 8800GT's are hitting $120 AR, so its not like AMD have monopoly there.

Maybe you should check the resolution before you roll eyes at people. :rolleyes:

I am starting to think 1 monster card, and the 512 bit bus is the way to go.

I also think that making 1 monster card work properly, is easier than getting two in SLI to do the same.

that is the truth right there! i got the gtx 280. i had the 9800gx2 (which i'm selling if anyone is interested) Having one card that can perform well in my mind is much better than SLI. On the system in my sig I had issues with the GX2 suttering and choking in some games which I can only assume is related to SLI. The GX2, while it performed well for the most part, had some headaches which I'm glad I don't deal with anymore. Happy to be using one powerful card :)

Maybe you should check the resolution before you roll eyes at people

Is there a problem with this resolution? Are you suggesting that the highest end should be tested at cpu limited 640/480 and not the resolution that actually pushes the card to its limits?

Ok, here is one for you .. you have 24" monitor

http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/geforce_gtx_280/page_6.shtml

Still a considerable speed up, except the cpu limited cases.

So, once again :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

got one for $440 AR :)

280ew2.png

selling my 8800 gts 512 now..

I got in on this deal too and my GTX 280 comes in today. Hopefully there's still a chance of re-selling my Ultras @ $300 a piece.

For me, upgrading to the 280 is more about being micro-stutter free @ 2560x1600. I've already prepared myself for lower frames in some situations, but when you're usually around or above 60 fps anyway, it will be worth it for the improved gameplay experience. In fact, the problems related to SLI are the reason why I didn't jump on this deal twice (before it expired) and buy another 280.

Sweet, UPS delivered my “Gold Brick” while I was home for lunch! Will post pictures and FRAPS bench comparisons to my Ultras after work…:D

Have nothing more to add eh? After all, the data shows consistant 50% (often 2x) speedup over 8800GTX (both at 1600 and 2560 res), which complitely invalidates your insane ramblings.

Your original statement

If this new card is twice faster than my 8800GTX for that price, then I wouldn't be here preaching bad crap about it. +20% increased and -10% decreased in certain applications/games does not make this card worthy.

Once again, if the card is pushed, its significally faster (even at lower resolutions)

Have nothing more to add eh? After all, the data shows consistant 50% (often 2x) speedup over 8800GTX (both at 1600 and 2560 res), which complitely invalidates your insane ramblings.

Your original statement

Once again, if the card is pushed, its significally faster (even at lower resolutions)

Dont waste your time. Im starting to see he's just someone with his own opinion who cant debate anything or provide any supporting arguements, and since he cant afford the card or the display its meant to drive, he just bashes it.

I just received my GTX280 from Gigabyte, don't have camera here at work so I'll take pics when I get home if necessary. It came with a 6 and 8 pin molex adapters. I'm still waiting to receive my 6+2 from Corsair but will see if the adapters do the trick.

Whats wrong? Cant come back with any arguement bearing any substance what-so-ever, yet again?

Majority people don't play with all the setting crank up highest(16xQ AA). If you want to buy an overpriced, overheated and that eat up a whole lot of wattage go right ahead.

I can't afford the card? Hey listen stupid. I'm not that stupid to waste money on another card when I already have a card that's good enough for what I'm doing.

Have some more :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Majority people don't play with all the setting crank up highest(16xQ AA). If you want to buy an overpriced, overheated and that eat up a whole lot of wattage go right ahead.

I can't afford the card? Hey listen stupid. I'm not that stupid to waste money on another card when I already have a card that's good enough for what I'm doing.

Have some more :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Why is everyone saying the 280 is hot? The 4850 is hotter.

To the op, i just ordered the gtx280 from evga, its my present to myself for graduating college and getting a real job this year :).

Unless he is running a 30 Inch monitor, this is a real waste of money. And even then, I would almost have to say wait until Fall when they release version 2 of this card for an even better price/preformance.

For those who have money, waiting is hell. I could only imagine what it must be like to be rich. When the cost of some item or service is mute, the time becomes the issue.

If you don't have to wait, why would you?

To the OP, congrats. I recieved my GTX 280 yesterday. My new build (re-build) begins tomorrow. :D

Why is everyone saying the 280 is hot? The 4850 is hotter.

That's the problem with these cards. The 9800GTX was pretty good with load temp. We know they will probably release a card with better wattage with lower temperature but the disappointment is that they decided not to implemente this into the 260 and 280. The 9800GTX+(55nm) is right around the corner and that will probably improve better wattage and temperature.

My disappointment with this card is not the performances but totally they are building this card with old GPU chipset.

To the people who say this card is hot, have your tried the fan controller in rivatuner or an equivalent?

Back