Intel Chipset Design Error!!!

Newegg pulled all the motherboards i had a biostar 1155 in my cart & its now gone completely off the site.

I'll sell ya my mobo ;)

Looks like I'm going back to my 1090t/crosshair iv afterall. I'll be boxing up my mobo for RMA/Recall. Not taking the chance of frying my stuff.

See what happens when you step over to the dark side? I am happy with AMD but feel like I want to try some intel stuff. As soon as I do, I get hosed!

This is just my 2cents, but I feel that for anyone that has to send the mainboard back to the manufacturer (asus, gigabyte, etc) the replacement that comes back should be the new Z68 mainboard. Intel can reimburse the mainboard manufacturers the differance when they take the old boards and send out the new Z68's. That would be a win/win in my book. Now...how to press Intel to do just that......:confused:

Hasn't been 30 days yet. Thinking about returning both board and cpu. I really don't want to deal with the headache of sending my board in for repair.

Well, this made my mind up for me. I've been trying to decide this year's upgrade timeline and will go ahead and get a Motorola Xoom when it ships (wifi version) and go for the total system upgrade around October.

It's a hiccup; an expensive and annoying hiccup, but the industry will get past it.

they caught it early in production, they halted shipments, they setup a fund to take care of any potential problems, what else do people want?

crap happens and intel is dealing with it.........if a board has a problem, just rma it and wait for a new one, i am sure a few days without a computer won't kill anyone.

Agreed..

I find it amusing how incidents like this always bring out the trolls in addition to the drama queens.

Am I the only one wondering how a bug like this could exist in a circuit which would actually degrade the physical structure of the circuit?

No, I'm sure there are other people who also do not know that if they had insufficient metal in the circut for the power flow it would, over time, burn it out. Sort like Aluminum wiring in homes instead of copper. Years down the road the stuff can be so degraded it catches your house on fire.

It's odd that over at anandtech they call this a "statistical error" instead of a design error, even though it's quite obvious that the change of metal layer(design change) does completely solve the problem. If it was a statistical problem that IIRC cannot be completely solved, changing the design would not have made a difference.

Perhaps they're trying to say the 'design error' leads to a 'statistical error' that creates increasing corruption of the drives

Well, this made my mind up for me. I've been trying to decide this year's upgrade timeline and will go ahead and get a Motorola Xoom when it ships (wifi version) and go for the total system upgrade around October.

It's a hiccup; an expensive and annoying hiccup, but the industry will get past it.

LOL, Motorola Xoom. Seriously?
iPad owns the market and above all, developers and the media have fully committed to it.

i don't even use the sata 2 ports on my p67 motherboard

i don't even think this is a critical issue for like 99% of the people who have these boards.

they even said it would take you 3 years to notice the problem. sure i will be RMAing my board next month for a fixed verison but to jump to conclusions and sell all your shit because of some error with 4 of the sata ports maybe if you use all your ports then yes i be worried
but majority of people only use like 3 devices on their and can use the sata 3 for the their ssd and hd. I don;t care if my $20 DVD burner gets burned up on a sata 2 port i don't want to be out of my machine for 2-3 months

I find it amusing how incidents like this always bring out the trolls in addition to the drama queens.
Haha. Yeah, isn't it awesome? :p

Atleast they said something instead of having someone else find the problem and sue after a year's (or more) worth of consumer parts have been out on the market.

No, I'm sure there are other people who also do not know that if they had insufficient metal in the circut for the power flow it would, over time, burn it out. Sort like Aluminum wiring in homes instead of copper. Years down the road the stuff can be so degraded it catches your house on fire.

Perhaps they're trying to say the 'design error' leads to a 'statistical error' that creates increasing corruption of the drives

my unedumacated quess would be that due to manufacturing process variations, there are some chipsets that would fail due to x conditions being met (ie metal layer problem + heavy usage+ temps+ etc) resulting in x% failure rate based upon some fancy math

I'm curious to know how much this will impact the revenue of resellers like newegg, who are now faced with shutting off sales of basically their entire SB lineup of products for what could be two months, along with the cascading effect of removing sales of everything else that people generally buy when upgrading to the latest technology (DDR3 memory, a new PSU, a new Video Card or two, ....).

Especially because it sounds like the majority of people are now either waiting until the new board stepping is released (~2 months) or until Bulldozer is released (~4 months?) and not spending any money at all.

My SB stuff is set to be delivered tomorrow and while I wouldn't ever consider buying it until things are fixed if it wasn't already a done deal, I am not at all concerned about this. I have four SATA 6Gbps ports and four SATA devices to plug into them; I will be fine until the manufacuters have their replacement plans in action and wouldn't mind getting the chance at building my system a second time! :) (Unless there isn't an advanced replacement offered for free, then that would blow...)

Last edited:
i don't even use the sata 2 ports on my p67 motherboard

i don't even think this is a critical issue for like 99% of the people who have these boards.

they even said it would take you 3 years to notice the problem. sure i will be RMAing my board next month for a fixed verison but to jump to conclusions and sell all your shit because of some error with 4 of the sata ports maybe if you use all your ports then yes i be worried
but majority of people only use like 3 devices on their and can use the sata 3 for the their ssd and hd. I don;t care if my $20 DVD burner gets burned up on a sata 2 port i don't want to be out of my machine for 2-3 months

Same here. I've got my 2 hard drives on the Sata3 ports and my DVD rom can rot on the Sata 2 :p

I never plan to have more than 2 drives, so this is a non-issue. I may RMA the board when the updated chipset becomes available if it seems like a good option to do so. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with my setup.

I would suggest testing read/write performance with HD Tune or smth because I just did, and while everything is running great, the performance is really bad.

Looks like all SB cpus and MBs are now pulled from Newegg's site.

Haha. Yeah, isn't it awesome? :p

Atleast they said something instead of having someone else find the problem and sue after a year's (or more) worth of consumer parts have been out on the market.

Like Abit 478 and Socket A boards with the crappy capacitors? That was interesting, and this is nowhere near what that was.

[H]ardforum is serious business!

Oh it is. Very serious.

We give very sound advice around these parts, such as don't overclock with cheese.

Holy Crap !!!! the SKY IS FALLING!!!! LOL!!! Talk about the drama queens. It's like watching a soap opera. Let's review:

1 - All P6 chips affected. Ok, so that rules out any "Produced before x date" being safe.

2 - 5%-15% could be affected over the next three years. Sounds like a normal failure rate.

3 - The issue is that performance could degrade on the SATAII ports. So, don't put your main drive on the SATAII ports for the time being. Issue resolved.

Seriously, at first glance you would think the boards were blowing up. If you think you are being affected, put your drives on the two Intel SATAIII ports and wait for the new boards to do an RMA. You can stick your DVD drives on the Marvell controller if you have too. This really is not a big issue, definitely not any bigger than AMD shipping AM3 last year with a known defect because it didn't effect most people.

I was thinking of waiting for a revision of the P8P67 anyway because of all the issues people were having, but now I guess I have to wait. Hopefully Asus will straighten out some of the other kinks in these mobos when they fix this issue.

This is just my 2cents, but I feel that for anyone that has to send the mainboard back to the manufacturer (asus, gigabyte, etc) the replacement that comes back should be the new Z68 mainboard. Intel can reimburse the mainboard manufacturers the differance when they take the old boards and send out the new Z68's. That would be a win/win in my book. Now...how to press Intel to do just that......:confused:
I know at least for ASUS, you will only receive the same model back as a replacement (including version). So you send back a version 1.0, you will only get 1.0 back even if 1.2 is available. They may make an exception, but that has yet to be seen or announced.

I think for many of us, already running on the platform, is to wait to see how the manufacturers handle this recall. The safer bet may be a dissassemble and return to the vendor as we have more choices (Z68, Different Revisions, Different Model, and etc). I'm afraid many manufacturers may opt for one of the following:

-Replace your motherboard with the same motherboard (known issue chipset) since this only affects a certain percentage (and age). Version stays 1.00 for this motherboard.
-New release motherboards are version 1.01, or >1.00, and these are only offerred to new purchases.
-Replaced your motherboard with a reworked chipset (ie refurbished).

Personally, my system was running fine (I did switch my SATA drive to the SATA III ports this morning) to give me enough time to figure out what the vendors will do (purchased 1/29) . My return period ends later this month. If I don't receive any concrete information from the manufacturer, I will return the motherboard to the vendor and wait for the re-release.

For me on a H67 chipset, I only have 2 SATA III ports and 4 SATA II ports so this is a deal killer for me. I would rather get it resolved early in my build than fighting the issue 2 years from now (or find out when the warranty ends).

Personally I think it will be interesting if we start seeing some H/P67 "lite" edition motherboards show up with the SATA II ports removed or disabled (epoxy) at a reduced cost;)

I just dropped in my gigabyte ud4 last night and while this a bummer to hear I think I am going ride on the board until the recall...I have 5 hd, of which 2 are 2tb drives holding my DVD collection...I'd hate have those corrupted....but I have them backed up....so until we hear the fix...I'm gonna enjoy my 4.5ghz of oc'd goodness and mitigate the sata ports. I have an older pci sata 150 board with two ports so at the worst I'll run two my scratch disks on the ports in question see if anything happens

I just spoke with an Asus Representative and she told me that not to worry and that Asus P67 boards are not affected especially the P8P67 Deluxe which I just bought and stayed up till 4:00 am setting up. Either they are downplaying the issue which is a good guess as Newegg isn't even listing them anymore or there is a problem. I doubt Asus would be immune to a P67 chipset flaw so I have a feeling I will have to take it apart and send it back for ver 1.1 when that comes out. At least Intel is owning up to it better than nVidia when they had a similar issue and doing it early before its out of hand..

Not good news.

This may explain the initial headaches I had setting up my Sandy Bridge...Bulldozer can't get here soon enough...

I just spoke with an Asus Representative and she told me that not to worry and that Asus P67 boards are not affected especially the P8P67 Deluxe which I just bought and stayed up till 4:00 am setting up. Either they are downplaying the issue which is a good guess as Newegg isn't even listing them anymore or there is a problem. I doubt Asus would be immune to a P67 chipset flaw so I have a feeling I will have to take it apart and send it back for ver 1.1 when that comes out. At least Intel is owning up to it better than nVidia when they had a similar issue and doing it early before its out of hand..

Not good news.

Yeah, alright. That Representative was probably shooting random ideas at you.

I've had my SB freeze twice with the HDD access light stuck on, but no activity on the drive (it's magnetic and it isn't making any seek noise). Interestingly enough the mouse would still work, but I couldn't launch anything new like task manager to see what is going on. A forced reboot (reset/power button) fixes the problem. I thought it was just because I'm using an old 500GB drive that I had laying around which might be starting to fail (waiting for the new SSDs), but now I wonder...

2 - 5%-15% could be affected over the next three years. Sounds like a normal failure rate.

I'm wondering how this number was arrived at though. Does it include the fact that most people are not going to need to use the 4 3gb/s SATA ports? This would mean the failure rate for those that do require them would be much higher.

Wanted to upgrade since my current system is quite slow relatively, however buying now could result in a long turn around for RMA and shipping costs (compounded with the fact I'm not in the US).

Not good news.

orly?

Look at what just arrived at my doorstep an hour our two before I started reading about this...

imag0262b.jpg

Sigh... Despite the hysteria (and the fact that I haven't received my HSF yet), I'll probably build out my system with it this weekend; even tho the MSI GD55 only has two unaffected SATA 3 ports. My C2Q rig is already broken out in parts (for family member upgrades), and I got a $35 combo discount + a $20 rebate from MSI + a free copy of Assassin's Creed 2; I'd hate to lose all or any of that while waiting two months without a main rig.

I'll just use the unaffected ports for my HDD + SSD and I guess I'll avoid ripping music on this system for now... I'd rather deal with that until April than put off my build. It would be a very nice gesture if at that point Intel or the manufacturers offered a Z68 upgrade option, I'd happily pay the difference even.

Look at what just arrived at my doorstep an hour our two before I started reading about this...

imag0262b.jpg

Sigh... Despite the hysteria (and the fact that I haven't received my HSF yet), I'll probably build out my system with it this weekend; even tho the MSI GD55 only has two unaffected SATA 3 ports. My C2Q rig is already broken out in parts (for family member upgrades), and I got a $35 combo discount + a $20 rebate from MSI + a free copy of Assassin's Creed 2; I'd hate to lose all or any of that while waiting two months without a main rig.

I'll just use the unaffected ports for my HDD + SSD and I guess I'll avoid ripping music on this system for now... I'd rather deal with that until April than put off my build. It would be a very nice gesture if at that point Intel or the manufacturers offered a Z68 upgrade option, I'd happily pay the difference even.

I like this idea also, especially if they would ship in advance.

Back