That Anandtech article is probably more reliable.http://www.anandtech.com/show/4142/intel-discovers-bug-in-6series-chipset-begins-recall
That's what Anandtech Reported also.
I don't use those ports, which is probably why mine is running fine.
Intel needs to clarify this statement. They do chips in batches, we all know this. It is possible that the first chips sent out did not suffer the fault, unlikely but possible. If that is the case it is also unlikely that boards sold on the 9th include the faulty chips.What they're saying is that all chipsets that have shipped are affected, but it could have been worse as it is has only be 3-weeks worth of product in the market that they have to swap out.
AFAIC, may = will. They have no choice but to fix this for everyone.F...
So what happens to the people who can't go back to their old rigs and have to use their computers? I can't be out a desktop for a month.
Intel needs to come clean on this one...what exactly do they mean it "may" affect hard drives?
No big deal then if you only have two drives IMO. Not saying I won't be RMAing when the time comes, just saying I'm not worried about using it in the mean time.That Anandtech article is probably more reliable.
They also say intel expects 5-15% failure rates over about 3 years, so I doubt they will break in the next few months while we wait for replacements.
So it's not a "Death Blow" to our peripherals like we all thought."On its conference call to discuss the issue, Intel told me that it hasn’t been made aware of a single failure seen by customers.
Intel expects that over 3 years of use it would see a failure rate of approximately 5-15%."
I guess the question is is the April volume shipment date, volume chipset shipments to board partners, or a prediction for when fi iced boards will ship in volume?According to reports, it doesn't cause data loss, just performance decrease. So I guess we'll all be good to keep using the boards until they get enough replacements to RMA them. Intel says April for volume shipments though, so it'll be a while.
and like others have said, there's no reason to panic. it appears to be a low-incident issue. when i get home tonight i'll swap over to the 6GB/s ports and patiently await the recall.The SATA bug exists in hardware and theres no way to provide a driver or firmware update that can fix it. The fix requires a metal layer change, which will result in a new hardware stepping (resulting in the ~3 week delay before replacement hardware is ready).
Well from the same article, Intel says it started investigating the issue after receiving many complaints from customers quite early, so it looks like quite a sizable number of chips are affected, and very early, not after 3 years of usage, so everybody should get a replacement board.i doubt many would see it to begin with.
really no need to panic.
yes but they said depends on usage.Would this somehow affect DVD drives connected to the SATA3Gbps ports?
you could also use the marvell ports and not be affected.My hard drives are plugged into the 6gb ports. However when I wanted to install win7 off of a CD on one of the 3gb ports I kept on getting massive corruption when it was trying to load the files off the CD. I ended up having to use a USB CD-ROM drive to get it installed.
I've also gotten corruption when trying to rip CDs from a drive plugged into a 3gb port. I was thinking my DVD-RW drive had gone bad. Maybe not.
I am going to just cross my fingers and hope the 6 Gb/s ports being OK part stands. I can live without the 3Gb/s ports until this gets worked out...
You mean like this board? http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=130-SB-E675-KR&family=Motherboard Family&series=Intel P67 Series Family&sw=5Its also interesting how EVGA doesn't even have a board out yet. Why would you miss out selling boards at launch? Conspiracy theory?
Anandtech Article said:Its like Intels RRoD, but without the years of denial.
cant order now can you?