I hate you, Newegg.

I don't hate egg. But to be honest, amazon's return policy is better than egg's. I am from NJ, so I also pay 7% tax which sometimes is a dealbreaker.

Sad to say. Everytime there is a good deal at NE, CA's tax ruins it. Amazon + Prime as other have said is a good alternative if you plan to spend a alot.

I used to place Newegg orders a couple times a month. Now they are about 3rd on my list of suppliers. Always #1 to do research and find product specs and comparisons.

to condemn the 'egg for common business practices is a bit over the top imo and hardly qualifies as a "nightmare"...

Having to pay shipping back is understandable, but paying a restocking fee on a basically DoA item is "common business practice?" I call BS.

An item being bad isn't their fault but it's not the consumer's fault either. They can send it back to the manufacturer for full credit.

You shop at a particular store/shop for the customer experience, not to pay around 30% of the cost for a DoA product you don't even get to keep. By your standards I should have paid $15.85 for a dead hard drive. I don't think so. If I bought the HD from Microcenter I'd only be out the cost of gas to and from the store, so about $2.00.

I've spent thousands of dollars over the years at Newegg and never had a problem, but it only takes one bad experience to lose a customer.

I have to admit a lot of my purchases have been going to other places as apposed to newegg. Fix your openbox prices for godsake.

huh? i have no problem with newegg sales tax is good. Fast shipping never had anything doa except a hard drive that they sent me a free shipping label to ship it back and 5$ credit for my hassle (i complained the packing was terrible ((was just a peice of paper)))

Well, newegg has no way of knowing that it was not you who rendered the HDD not working ... that said, why were you returning for refund, instead of exchange? I had to return HDDs to newegg on a couple of occasions (for exchange) and had no problems doing so.

Having to pay shipping back is understandable, but paying a restocking fee on a basically DoA item is "common business practice?" I call BS.

An item being bad isn't their fault but it's not the consumer's fault either. They can send it back to the manufacturer for full credit.

You shop at a particular store/shop for the customer experience, not to pay around 30% of the cost for a DoA product you don't even get to keep. By your standards I should have paid $15.85 for a dead hard drive. I don't think so. If I bought the HD from Microcenter I'd only be out the cost of gas to and from the store, so about $2.00.

I've spent thousands of dollars over the years at Newegg and never had a problem, but it only takes one bad experience to lose a customer.

Well, newegg has no way of knowing that it was not you who rendered the HDD not working ... that said, why were you returning for refund, instead of exchange? I had to return HDDs to newegg on a couple of occasions (for exchange) and had no problems doing so.

I got frustrated and found it for the same price or just a little cheaper at Microcenter.

At least NewEgg is pretty reasonable with shipping problems. UPS recently stuck me on a delivery and I had to drive to the nearest depot to pick it up myself. Utter failure on their part.

Contacted NewEgg about it and they were pretty understanding. It took them an email or two to realize that UPS did screw up, but as soon as they saw what happened (and read UPS's own notes for my tracking number) they gave me a gift card to refund me my shipping and give me a little extra for the trouble.

Amazon just refunds me the cost of shipping. Still great, but not as good as NewEgg's offer.

Wow what an irony. I read the OP and went to check on a GPU I was planning on buying for my HTPC... and it was $25 more expensive than earlier today when I bookmarked it. Oh, and a router I was interested in was a few bucks more expensive too.

Newegg just *doubled* the price of the Zonet ZEW2500P wireless adapter.

More likely they halved the price a few days before and have just restored the price. That'll teach you to pass up a good deal.

Glass half empty, glass half full. :D

That'll teach you to pass up a good deal.
Actually I got it before the price increase :)

The bad news is it *just* shipped, 6 days after the order was placed. NJ. That's ridiculous. Went online to cust support, insisted shipping be waived. After some effort they agreed.

I finally went back to newegg to order a board and I changed my mind and wanted to get a different one so I canceled my order which was placed friday night. I thought the charge would fall in a day or two of since I canceled it within half an hour and it wont be shipped. Hey guess what the charge never fell off and the product never shipped, and I now I have to wait another 3 days to get my refund back. I ordered something through att once and they didn't ship the item with in 3 days so the charge fell of and when they shipped they deducted the money. I fucking hate newegg for charging me and then refunding for a product that they never shipped.

Well I HATE that NewEgg switched to DHL for their "saver" shipping.

I preferred FedEx above all, was alright with it when they switched to UPS, as long as I still got my items with 24 hours. NewEgg's HQ/warehouse is a 5 min drive from my house, so I usually get my orders within 24-48 hours.

Placed a RUSH order last Thursday for a 120mm Nexus fan, which is also my first order to NewEgg since they've switched to DHL. Normally a rushed order is an additional $3, but I used my NewEgg Preferred Account. So Friday then Saturday come and go. Wait with bated breath on Monday, still nothing. Then finally it pops up in a manila envelope on Tuesday. What the fuck!

You've got to be kidding me. This is a rushed order? Package left Walnut Thursday then arrived back in Walnut on Tuesday. Ridiculous. I'm gonna send them a complaint. MWave, a 5min WALK from my house, is going to eat NewEgg's lunch.

Last edited:
I still like newegg, though they have been getting less and less of my business over the last few years. They started with around 75% of my computer components business, but are now down to around 25%. Prices play a role, tigerdirect + bcb was a real contender. For my most recent build, I actually got more of my parts from buy.com than from newegg. It seems like amazon has really be expanding its components selection, which when coupled with prime and a great return policy....

Got this poll while browsing NewEgg today...
Please help us improve Newegg.com
Just answer 3 quick questions, your answer on the first question determines the other two.

1. Do you think you will make a purchase today?
Yes | No | Undecided

2. Which of these products (if any) would you like to see added to Newegg's selection?
Sporting Goods | Aftermarket Automotive | Home Improvement | Apparel

3. How likely is it that you would recommend Newegg to a friend or colleague?
Not Likely | Neutral | Extremely Likely

4. What would prevent you from purchasing today?
Too Expensive | Limited Selection | Difficulty with Site | Just Browsing | Not enough information | Shipping Time or Cost
Question 2.. just wow... gotta love going publicly traded :rolleyes:

Alright, any reason why my order still has not shipped two days after my order NewEgg? You already charged my credit card...

Newegg's system sometimes doesn't notify of shipment. There were a few times over the years that I'd buy something, never be notified of shipment, and get my order a few days later. Kind of goofy, but that's probably what's happening with you.

Newegg's lost its go-to status for me. I still visit for info, pics, etc. But Amazon's usually who ends up with my business. Amazon Prime really helps. I've ordered plenty to justify the cost of Prime multiple times over, and I just got a free year for being a student again. Total win.

Plus, the Asus VW266H I bought from Newegg in Feb. 2009 is starting to fail HARD. The warranty information on Asus' website states for you to contact your reseller. Newegg told me to contact Asus. After about two weeks of this nonsense, Asus finally called me with RMA information. But I'm not going through with it. I'm not spending like $30 to ship this thing to California and be without my largest monitor for a couple weeks. I'll just put that $30 toward a new non-Asus, non-Newegg-purchased monitor when this one finally dies for good.

Also, Newegg barely has free shipping these days. And if an item's price falls $5, its shipping cost rises $5. They think we're stupid or something.

Also, Newegg barely has free shipping these days. And if an item's price falls $5, its shipping cost rises $5. They think we're stupid or something.

I agree. The new NZXT Phantom case is $139, But they charge $25 shipping, While the Coolermaster HAF-X is shipped free & weighs more than the Phantom, Go figure. :eek:

I still buy from Newegg but not as much as I used to. Have not really had any problems but their prices are not the lowest like they used to be and shipping on low cost items is sometime much more then the product and they charge per item on shipping.

Lately Amazon with their Prime has been getting the bulk of my business.

There is a sort of inevitable growth of a company or almost anything that takes place in the business world. Newegg is no different. You start with nothing and so you cannot make anything the only thing you can do is buy and sell product. So that is where you begin your quest to win customers with low prices fast service and possibly a return policy. Eventually you make enough money to do things like make exclusive brands build a good website which Newegg still has, and use your brand recognition and peoples lazy shopping habit to keep going. Once this happens you start to realize there is no point in trying to win at the ultra low profit margin game. So you raise prices. This is where Newegg is now. Don't whine about it, it happens to nearly every company except maybe Wal-Mart. Just move along to the company that offers more for less. A similar cycle takes place in manufacturing brands which is why no one seems to ever stay on top for a long time.
I like the fact that I and many people plan our purchases at Newegg but do not bother to buy there anymore. I just use price searching to find the best price on the product after I have made a wish list at Newegg.

One of the things that is most troubing about newegg is there slow shipping they do this on purpose to try to get you to pay the 3$ rush charge. But all it does is increase inventory and piss off customers. I can never get anything to ship out of their warehouse fast unless I rush it.

Anyone else get the Labor Day promo e-mail a day late in the wee hours of the morning? Kind of pointless with a 1-day only sale.

Newegg's system sometimes doesn't notify of shipment. There were a few times over the years that I'd buy something, never be notified of shipment, and get my order a few days later. Kind of goofy, but that's probably what's happening with you.

I get that all the time. Though usually when I do get the shipping notice it's the day it's scheduled for delivery.

I get that all the time. Though usually when I do get the shipping notice it's the day it's scheduled for delivery.

wish that was my case.. newegg still owes me a motherboard and cpu that i ordered almost 11 months go.. but hey the system still says its being delivered.. so who knows maybe one day i might actually ship my order since they feel they dont owe me anything after wasting all my time claiming they would ship it only to end up forcing me to exceed the 30 days i had to notify my credit card company that newegg ripped me off..

I gotta chime in on this one. I try not to bash any company, but Newegg used to be the #1 supplier for my computer business, but now it seems it's gone the way of AMD. Maybe a bad comparison, but I remember when I used to laugh at the performance of Intel compared to AMD, and now I laugh at the prices at my once beloved Newegg compared to almost all the other places I shop from these days.

Thanks for the memories Newegg, all the kings horses and all the kings men......

Newegg is great for finding stuff. IMHO, there is no consumer retail website that is easier to navigate and find product on than newegg. Once I've found a product on newegg that suits my needs, I will usually get it off Amazon if they have it.

I have never had a single problem with newegg, In fact the price I paid in february was cheaper then most places sell the stuff I bought for now.

.Newegg is great for finding stuff. IMHO, there is no consumer retail website that is easier to navigate and find product on than newegg. Once I've found a product on newegg that suits my needs, I will usually get it off Amazon if they have it.

Definitely agree with this. I love Newegg's nav.

I still don't understand all this complaining. You don't buy sata cables, fans, heatsinks and sometimes cases from Newegg. It has been this way for many many many years. They were never the cheapest in that regard. They charged way too much shipping for those items and they were over priced. It was always monoprice for cables and the boutique sites for fans and heatsinks (svc, jabtech, etc...), but if you want to complain about shipping, check those sites.

As far as hard drive, ram and motherboards. I dare you to find a place that is cheaper. Sometimes Amazon is, and sometimes its not. At the worst, sites like ewiz, zipzoomfly and tigerdirect match Newegg.

In fact when NY decided to tax for all internet purchases, from companies who have advertising here, Newegg went out of their way to eat the tax fees. Amazon on the other hand still charges taxes to NY. Granted I don't know the specifics of how their respective businesses work, it might hurt amazon more than it would hurt newegg.

As far as shipping goes, I take the 3 day service which a lot of the time is free and get I get the next day, almost always.

And I can't believe the gall of some of the Cali people here complaining about taxes, Newegg is based there, and they always were.

I don't have anything against NE nor had I in the past. And they still kick ass no RR. But I'm not a fan of their current website redesign. : \

In cali ive never ever been a fan of newegg. People would buy who comps off newegg like it was their DUTY to buy from them. Blind allegiance to newegg because thats what ANY forum would spit out when someone would even mention the word computer parts. "OH I BUY EVERYTHING FROM NEWEGG". Didnt make any sense to me and still doesnt. My friends would pay shipping, tax, and then id go "you realize tiger direct or amazon offer no tax and usually have free or $3 shipping right?" "oh well i just like to go to newegg for convenience". Alright i guess if youre too damn lazy to type in a couple letters and find the same item on another website then you deserve to be bent over for at least $200 everytime you build a whole new comp.

I always found it surprising when another computer was built and i look at what i got from newegg and it was maybe at most a dvd drive... or a single harddrive. Never anything more. Over the past 8 years of building computers ive purchased at most like $300 worth of stuff at newegg, if that.

I guess rudy hit the nail on the head, newegg quickly grew into the #1 company and could ride on rep alone, so they figured why play the slim margins game and instead just charge a couple dollars more here and there on every item since people will buy from you regardless.

Last edited:
For me newegg is the best for hot items (commonly bought cpu's/boards/ram) because they are usually lower priced with free shipping but for odd items they usually are 2 or 3 times as much as other stores such as an uncommon case fans of a small size or stuff that people normally don't buy.

For me newegg is the best for hot items (commonly bought cpu's/boards/ram) because they are usually lower priced with free shipping but for odd items they usually are 2 or 3 times as much as other stores such as an uncommon case fans of a small size or stuff that people normally don't buy.

For me, Newegg has always been better at deals on AMD CPUs than Intel CPUs. I can usually get the Intel CPU cheaper from eWiz or Microcenter, or even Fry's sometimes. But AMD does so many combos with the CPU + RAM or the CPU + Motherboard that I still use them a lot for budget AMD builds. I watch Newegg prices every day, and continuously compare them against the competition. They still generally have lower prices, even including shipping, on video cards and motherboards than their competitors. Sure, a competitor's sale will beat them for a few days, but on average they seem to equal or beat most.

Back