I hate you, Newegg.

Thug Esquire

[H]ard|Gawd
Newegg, once upon a time, you were great. You used to have a 1-year replacement policy, you used to have standard 30-day returns on everything except CPUs. You used to have better prices than anywhere else, and, long ago, you didn't gouge me on CPU prices.

Now, though, you're just a rotten egg.

You have so many different RMA policies it's difficult to keep track of which is which. You've turned a system that was helpful and sane (30 days for a refund, one year for a replacement) into something totally wrong. The video card I recently bought came with a limited VGA 30-day replacement-only policy. This means that no matter what is wrong with it, I can never get a refund, and after 30 days, there's no way to get it replaced except through the manufacturer. Even if I ship it back to you, you make me pay for the return shipping. And don't get me started on your obscene, "industry standard" 15% restocking fee.

Because I live in California, I have to pay your sales tax. That's about 10% since I'm in the LA area, so your golden prices have no luster anymore. Combined with your higher prices and awful return policies, I want nothing to do with you. It's cheaper to buy that i7-930 at Frys, where I can make sure it's not a paperweight in the box at the store. It's safer to buy that video card from Amazon, which has an excellent return policy--30 days without restocking fee--and free shipping. I'm spending several hundred dollars--what a concept that the shipping would be free! What a concept that I should be able to return something and get all my money back!

Newegg, I hate you. Your website is only useful for research, and I never want to buy from you again.

Sincerely,
Thug Esquire

Their policies have indeed been becoming less and less attractive...

I'm finding myself at either Microcenter or Amazon, even buy.com now. amazon and buy both ship out of warehouses about 150 miles away so many things I'm getting the next morning even with budget shipping. Microcenter is about 90 minutes away.

Plus the MC near me pricematches newegg. Lol.

Newegg is still good for me in NYC...warehouse in NJ means lightning fast delivery most of the time (w/Free Shipping)...no sales tax either

Amazon added sales tax to NY residents about a year ago which made their prices less attractive...salex tax sucks

zzf, mc, frys, buy, amazon, etc etc. so many fewer reasons to buy from the egg every day. :/ its too bad cuz i used to buy from newegg every month or 2, now i have only bought one item in the last few months, and im returning it and hating them for their restocking fee. i mean really, they take the box i paid to ship, open it, scan it, and put it on the shelf. that takes $20? yeah not really convincing me to buy from you in the future. also, their prices suck. i havent seen anything in their OMG DAILY SHELL SHOCKER WEEKLY MIDWEEK MIDDAY SUPERSALEs lately that i havent been able to find for less by typing the name in google shopping. i get a newegg deal email almost every day from newegg, and they still manage to never have anything decently priced. i think im basically done as well.

i bought most of the parts from my most recent build from amazon.com

i love their service.

fast and free shipping for me! if you dont like the taxes, then MOVE!

i think the takeaway is more that we hate their prices, restocking fees, return policies, etc mostly. the shipping cost is just one more reason to complain. i live in seattle and dont pay tax, and im quite fed up with them as well. unfortunately, that means i pay tax at amazon since theyre a few miles from my house. :/

i like going to newegg for the recertified and open box items. i just go to each, sort by cheapest and see how many things i can get for like nothing. i get a lot of cool junk this way :p

I'm a big fan of the egg, but I'm finding that I'm using them for reference only. I find what I'm looking for on their site, make sure the pictures show everything I need to see, then set off to find it somewhere else for cheaper.

It's almost like they're turning into Tiger Direct becuase everything good is either a refurb or some crazy rebate. I wish they'd focus on being the number one hardware shop again. If they offer a <wave hands>crazy deal</wave hands>, I want it to be a crazy deal that I can't resist -- something I'm disappointed that I didn't get in on time... but I don't see that happening any time soon.

If people didn't abuse them they would still be great. :rolleyes:

this is a very good point. we have to admit that there were way too many people getting returns and replacements on stuff THEY broke, and buying something only to use until they could get their rma replacement and then returning it, etc. it was really sad, and i guess we are feeling the consequences. :(

I'm a big fan of the egg, but I'm finding that I'm using them for reference only. I find what I'm looking for on their site, make sure the pictures show everything I need to see, then set off to find it somewhere else for cheaper.

I have found myself doing the exact same thing recently. My i7 build was only about 1/4 "egg", the rest was a combo of TigerDirect, Amazon, zzf, and ewiz.

I'm with you. I started buying more from microcenter and less from newegg. Newegg is only good for reviews now.

There is no such thing as free shipping anywhere. The costs are always built into the pricing one way or another. They can't help your sales tax issues, complain to your state. They need to have warehouses somewhere in this country. Their return policies are really no different anywhere else. The fact that people think they should be entitled to a one year refund policy on computer equipment is flat out absurd if you ask me.

Their pricing no longer is as good as it used to be, but they still have good support and their prices aren't bad either. The biggest difference I've noticed is that their pricing is more balanced. You used to be able to find very good deals that have now become very rare.

It's almost like they're turning into Tiger Direct becuase everything good is either a refurb or some crazy rebate. I wish they'd focus on being the number one hardware shop again. If they offer a <wave hands>crazy deal</wave hands>, I want it to be a crazy deal that I can't resist -- something I'm disappointed that I didn't get in on time... but I don't see that happening any time soon.

This.

their policies have changed due to the ginormous amt of asshats that just buy something and return it after "testing" it.

Lately they have had a lot of "open box" stuff and it hurts them cause they have to reprocess it and they are making changes accordingly.

btw the cpu thing was not their fault, only the way they initially handled it and in the end, the vendor that did it got ass pounded....

You forgot to mention the continually fluctuating price adjustments... I mean WTF???

Week 1: Item goes on sale for $15 less.
Week 2: Sale over, but item only rises $5.
Week 3: Item becomes "SHELL SHOCKER" deal of the day... at like $12 less than original.
--so you figure now I better bite, 'cause it ain't gonna get any better... too bad I missed the good sale.
Next day: Item goes to $20 HIGHER than original price.
--damn! good thing I bought it when I did!!
Week 4: Item comes out on NewEgg email at $10 less than you just paid.

The above was purely hypothetical, but yet based on almost all of my recent purchases from the Egg.
I have not seen ANY site fluctuate their prices so much for a single item.

Buying PC components, you expect to see anything you buy drop significantly in price... but not within 30 days!!
Most stores have a 30-day price match, and NewEgg themselves used to issue a store credit in such instances.

The last time I called them, it was like pulling teeth. The rep finally agreed to a "ONE TIME" credit, but promised me that it would be my last.

:whatever:

BTW, aside from the addition of all the useless home goods that NewEgg has decide to sell...

How about the latest email, promoting the launch of their NEW OFFICE SUPPLIES category. :rolleyes:

Great, and the PC deals will continue to degrade...

Been avoiding newegg for the past year. Considering the fact they charge me Cali tax and that I'm a prime member at amazon, there's no reason for me to shop there. Amazon is the shit.

their policies have changed due to the ginormous amt of asshats that just buy something and return it after "testing" it.
This isn't really the fault of the consumer. This is the result of manufacturers building RAM that doesn't work with mobos, or mobos that don't work with RAID cards, or what-not. Let me give you an example:

Have you ever bought DDR3 memory and a DDR3 mobo just to find out that your mobo doesn't support that particular brand/model number of RAM? Now, if Newegg were decent, they would offer an exchange program so you could exchange either the mobo or RAM for another mobo or a different set of RAM that worked with the other part, and pay the difference if you're upgrading to a higher-end product. However, they don't. They charge that 15% restocking fee and after 30 days you're SOL. Bought a video card and a waterblock just to find out they're not compatible, even though the website says they are? Oops, you're SOL there, too, because nobody lets you return waterblocks and the video card you bought from Newegg was sold under their "new" limited VGA replacement-only policy--where they will only replace it with the exact same, non-compatible model. Your cash is gone, son.

Lately they have had a lot of "open box" stuff and it hurts them cause they have to reprocess it and they are making changes accordingly.
I really don't have to shop there anymore. Maybe they'll reconsider their policies in the meantime. I don't like their policies and other stores offer better experiences. Newegg has lost my business for giving up its core values: the best prices and eggcellent customer service.

btw the cpu thing was not their fault, only the way they initially handled it and in the end, the vendor that did it got ass pounded....
The way they initially handled it is quite telling.

As others have mentioned, newegg is no longer a primary source for my purchases for the last few years. I have orders going back to 2001, but the last few years I either go local or buy from other merchants. As an example I had <8 orders from newegg and all were small purchases. In prior years spending >$1000 per year was normal.

When I got a few hard drives and video card poorly shipped, that was the final straw. Newegg made good on those transactions, but simply not worth my time dealing with these issues in the first place. Especially because they charge more, limited return policies, shipping charges, and I had to babysit the only 2 rma's I had (DOA and item defective due to poor shipping).

I do agree that they probably had a few bad apples that were abusing the return policies. I recall one poster on this forum admit he would get free upgrades by waiting for the product he bought to go discontinued on the website, and then he would rma it for a full refund (perfectly working). However, the last thing I want to do is pay more for these inconveniences especially if you hit a compatibility issue and need an different model.

All I know is I did not abuse the policy, but they expect me to live with the new system. The nice thing is I don't, and simply take my money elsewhere.

Last edited:
I am still happy with the costs, i do look around for cheaper prices but i find the savings (because of shipping) to be less then if i just got everything from the egg. Tax doesn't effect me and i am OK with the rebate.

My one upset
I got two ssds at newegg paid around $350. Less then 12 hours latter they went on sale. Had i waited another 12 hours i would have saved $75. What upsets me is that my ssds hadn't even left the warehouse yet. I called them up and asked if i could get the sale, the said no. Because i had paid for them i was stuck. Had i purchased two more at the sale price and returned the other two (with restocking) i would have saved $15. What upsets me is the only advice the man answering the phone could give was to refuse the shipment. Which believe me i was tempted to do. I am OK that i missed the sale, but when my drives hadn't even left the factory it seems odd that i am stuck into owning them.

Been avoiding newegg for the past year. Considering the fact they charge me Cali tax and that I'm a prime member at amazon, there's no reason for me to shop there. Amazon is the shit.

Pretty much sums it up. I still buy some hardware on Newegg if they are the lowest price, but that is rare. Sometimes I shop at TigerDirect since they don't charge tax in CA, usually have a fairly large BCB percentage, and are sometimes even cheaper than Newegg in their base price.

What sucks is it takes about four or five days to receive a package from Newegg even when it ships from CA. Maybe I'm spoiled by Amazon Prime...

From my experiences, all of that stuff other people return just gets mailed to me anyway, along with all the fingerprints and opened packaging :rolleyes:

For many of the reasons in this thread, I stopped buying stuff at Newegg. I think Newegg makes too many mistakes then people just sweep it under the rug because Newegg "makes it right". They definitely built their business on having good prices and service, however as time goes on I see they turning more and more into just another average internet vendor. I like the Tiger Direct comparison someone made because that is exactly where Newegg is headed, except Tiger Direct often has better deals and does not appear to send out shit other people have been using.

Also the whole SHELL SHOCKER things just drives me nuts. I swear sometimes they jack the price on shit up just to pretend they lower the price when the SHELL SHOCKER deal comes out (twice a day...)

I stopped ordering from Newegg when they started making me pay sales tax. I mean what a joke, ordering 2000$ worth of computer parts only to have to pay almost 200$ worth of tax in TN, or order from a site with almost the same prices and pay 0 in tax. I usually use Amazon now, and have no problems.

I stopped ordering from Newegg when they started making me pay sales tax. I mean what a joke, ordering 2000$ worth of computer parts only to have to pay almost 200$ worth of tax in TN, or order from a site with almost the same prices and pay 0 in tax. I usually use Amazon now, and have no problems.

again, its not really their fault. the state takes that $200 from them since you live in the same state as their warehouse, or because of your state tax laws. i pay tax to amazon and valve since i live in seattle, but you probably dont. if youre gonna complain about their policies, at least do it about the ones that theyre actually responsible for. :)

I recall one poster on this forum admit he would get free upgrades by waiting for the product he bought to go discontinued on the website, and then he would rma it for a full refund (perfectly working)

you mean he bought it 30 days from when the item was going to be discontinued?...the guy must have some special mind reading abilities to be able to buy items at the precise moment they are about to be discontinued...plus you can only return/RMA within 30 days so he really needed to have perfect timing

I'm with you. I started buying more from microcenter and less from newegg. Newegg is only good for reviews now.

I like microcenter and all, but usually they are MUCH more expensive than Newegg, and have a rather limited selection...

you mean he bought it 30 days from when the item was going to be discontinued?...the guy must have some special mind reading abilities to be able to buy items at the precise moment they are about to be discontinued...plus you can only return/RMA within 30 days so he really needed to have perfect timing
Nope. He bought the product when they had the 1-3 year policies. Kept track of when the item was discontinued on newegg, and RMA'd it shortly after. As newegg no longer carried the product, they refunded him the original purchase price.
This was prior to the 30 day limited refund policy. So in short he kept upgrading for free by abusing the former return policies.

I have no problems buying from Newegg. If their price is right, I buy from them. If Amazon or TigerDirect has the right price, I'll buy from them, and of course I haev Fry's and MicroCenter close by, so I buy a lot from them. I guess I'm lucky, but I've never had a DOA piece of hardware from any place, so return policies don't get me all that worried.

And don't get me started on your obscene, "industry standard" 15% restocking fee.

I just bought something that had to be RMA'd. So I went into chat and told them it was defective. Which it seemed to be, not that they would know and this was told to me not 30 mins ago, this is a direct quote from the Newegg agent.

Thank you for holding. Anytime a customer issues an RMA online, our system defaults to the 15% restocking fee. Anytime an item is defective or unopened, we ask that our customers contact us via phone, chat or email (which you have today) to notify us of this so that we may waive the 15% restocking fee. I have since waived the restocking fee for you since the item is defective and you are our valued customer.

So folks there you have it. Anything you buy and want to RMA - CONSIDER IT DEFECTIVE!!! Just chat or phone them up and tell them. They will waive the 15%. BTW OP, 15% is industry standard its obscene but it's accepted and everyone is doing it. Dont hate on Newegg for it. ...and now you know how to get around it....

I like tigerdirect.com I get most items next day since they have warehouse in Chicago and I live in Green Bay.

although I have a question, by referral tag, you mean that people who are on Newegg will know that HardForum is affiliated with them?

I think it means that something purchased through a link in the hard forum will give Kyle the 2.5%.

It's a good way to stick it to Newegg but I think at the same time you might be hurting members more in the end. It seems like so many threads have a link to their site and not just in the HotDeals section but in those "Critique My Build" threads were people post wish lists of builds using Newegg. Then what happens to the users who post www.n3wegg.com because www.newegg.com is banned? Wouldn't altering links result in an H ban for that user?

Let people like the OP be able to voice their concerns about sites like Newegg without banning their links entirely. If in fact many people here change their views to match the OP then the H users will have essentially black listed Newegg for you.

This isn't really the fault of the consumer. This is the result of manufacturers building RAM that doesn't work with mobos, or mobos that don't work with RAID cards, or what-not. Let me give you an example:

Have you ever bought DDR3 memory and a DDR3 mobo just to find out that your mobo doesn't support that particular brand/model number of RAM? Now, if Newegg were decent, they would offer an exchange program so you could exchange either the mobo or RAM for another mobo or a different set of RAM that worked with the other part, and pay the difference if you're upgrading to a higher-end product. However, they don't. They charge that 15% restocking fee and after 30 days you're SOL. Bought a video card and a waterblock just to find out they're not compatible, even though the website says they are? Oops, you're SOL there, too, because nobody lets you return waterblocks and the video card you bought from Newegg was sold under their "new" limited VGA replacement-only policy--where they will only replace it with the exact same, non-compatible model. Your cash is gone, son.

I really don't have to shop there anymore. Maybe they'll reconsider their policies in the meantime. I don't like their policies and other stores offer better experiences. Newegg has lost my business for giving up its core values: the best prices and eggcellent customer service.

The way they initially handled it is quite telling.

never had that problem but then again approved vendor list would go a long ways towards resolving that and also staying away from ram that has to be run above spec at a rated speed.

btw, a company should not have that many returns if consumers were responsible and actually did some research before buying.....

I think it means that something purchased through a link in the hard forum will give Kyle the 2.5%.

I see no reason why he shouldn't get that kind of commission from ALL links

after all it's his forum, and newegg gets far more business from the Gen Hard section alone than it ever did through the HotDeals section, i'd wager

that alone would be worth the deal for Newegg

Back