GHOST S1 - When both size & performance matters

Oh okay I see now... so I just bought this ram yesterday:

F4-3200C14D-16GTZKW

Do you think that it will be too tall for one of the better CPU coolers? It's 44mm tall.

Damn, that newegg sale is just amazing, however unfortunately it won't fit since the L12 ram clearance is only 43mm...

The Ripjaws V and Corsair LPX are the way to go!

nh_l12_measurements.jpg

Edit: The Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B also has good performance, however the ram clearance is even lower at 39mm.

Another option is the ZALMAN CNPS8900 Quiet, however I didn't seem to find a good spec page about it...

The NH-L9x65 might do an Okay job, however for a 95W CPU it might not be a good fit. Maybe with undervolt.

Last edited:
Damn, that newegg sale is just amazing, however unfortunately it won't fit since the L12 ram clearance is only 43mm...

The Ripjaws V and Corsair LPX are the way to go!

nh_l12_measurements.jpg

Yea hard to pass up on that sale man... at CL14 with 3200MHz is the sweet spot I feel. My Fallout 4 game is running so much better now it's insane! I'm sure there's another CPU cooler thatll work

Yea hard to pass up on that sale man... at CL14 with 3200MHz is the sweet spot I feel. My Fallout 4 game is running so much better now it's insane! I'm sure there's another CPU cooler thatll work

Yeah, for sure!

Out of curiosity: What CPU are you going to use?

Yeah, for sure!

Out of curiosity: What CPU are you going to use?

My new build is 7700k, 16GB ram with 980ti.. I'm just gaming at 1080p now so the GPU is good to go.. I mean I guess I don't have to overclock.

And plus I don't want to pre-buy any parts until the case actually releases.. Too much of a gamble for me.

My new build is 7700k, 16GB ram with 980ti.. I'm just gaming at 1080p now so the GPU is good to go.. I mean I guess I don't have to overclock.

Ohhh, nice!

If you even't yet, check this test: http://louqe.com/img/img/ext/ext/GhostS1CPUheatSinkTest.pdf
He uses the exact same CPU as yours!

I'm still using a macbook and planning my pc build, yet I only have a GTX 1080, the noctua NH-L12 and a Corsair SF450.

I'm torn about CPU... So many good options: 7700K, 1600X, 8600K, 8700 and 8700K...

Ohhh, nice!

If you even't yet, check this test: http://louqe.com/img/img/ext/ext/GhostS1CPUheatSinkTest.pdf
He uses the exact same CPU as yours!

I'm still using a macbook and planning my pc build, yet I only have a GTX 1080, the noctua NH-L12 and a Corsair SF450.

I'm torn about CPU... So many good options: 7700K, 1600X, 8600K, 8700 and 8700K...

Sweet thanks. Well Nvidia recommends 600 watts right? I'd have to look again for 1080. Honestly I had a pre-order for 8700k and looked at it like this... I'm pay $70 more for 2 more cores and roughly same clock, but am I going to see $70 in performance gains? Plus the added cost of z370 motherboard. 7700k works good for me now and I do absolutely zero editing and such.. only gaming. Not to mention they kept pushing back my order for 8700k.. 7700k was available now.

Sweet thanks. Well Nvidia recommends 600 watts right? I'd have to look again for 1080. Honestly I had a pre-order for 8700k and looked at it like this... I'm pay $70 more for 2 more cores and roughly same clock, but am I going to see $70 in performance gains? Plus the added cost of z370 motherboard. 7700k works good for me now and I do absolutely zero editing and such.. only gaming. Not to mention they kept pushing back my order for 8700k.. 7700k was available now.

600W for the 1080ti and 500W for the 1080.
I'm a little below that, but the Corsair SF line is a trusted one and I'm using a regular non-overclocked gtx 1080 and won't be overclocking my CPU too, so I think I'm safe for now.

The prices of Z370 mobos are insane right now, I wish those go down a little when I'm buying those, atm I'm looking for good deals on ram and NVMe ssd.

If I was building it right now, the Ryzen 1600X would be my choice since the it's 50% cheaper than the 8700K and a good motherboard for it is also half the price.

Since you're gaming only, the performance on the 7700K is actually a tad bit better than the 8700K... So good choice!

I'm a little below that, but the Corsair SF line is a trusted one and I'm using a regular non-overclocked gtx 1080 and won't be overclocking my CPU too, so I think I'm safe for now.

The prices of Z370 mobos are insane right now, I wish those go down a little when I'm buying those, atm I'm looking for good deals on ram and NVMe ssd.

If I was building it right now, the Ryzen 1600X would be my choice since the it's 50% cheaper than the 8700K and a good motherboard for it is also half the price.

Since you're gaming only, the performance on the 7700K is actually a tad bit better than the 8700K... So good choice!

I would like to get rid of my SSDs and swap into a Samsung Evo 950 nvme. I could get rid of all those nasty cables... problem is they are like 440 ish. Ideas? Also do think I should keep my ram for the sake of a better CPU cooler or just hang tight until the case in released?

I want to go back to the NH-L12... I was watching youtube videos and it looks like you can change the orientation of the cooler. So if I were to swap it around then would it work?

I would like to get rid of my SSDs and swap into a Samsung Evo 950 nvme. I could get rid of all those nasty cables... problem is they are like 440 ish. Ideas? Also do think I should keep my ram for the sake of a better CPU cooler or just hang tight until the case in released?

If you don't need crazy fast NVMe speeds (probably not since you're only gaming and not into 4K video editing/rendering and 3D Modeling) you can snag this amazing M.2 SSD of 1.1TB for only 270USD: https://www.outletpc.com/ud8826-cru...paign=pcpartpicker&utm_content=Crucial+-+zOOS
Huge deal IMO

I want to go back to the NH-L12... I was watching youtube videos and it looks like you can change the orientation of the cooler. So if I were to swap it around then would it work?

I'm not sure... I only bought the L12 but it hasn't arrived yet and I have no mobo for now.
If you have a caliper rule you can measure the exact height of the ram sticks since G.Skill has said wrong (for the safe side) heights for the Ripjaws V and Z.
dimm_height_small.jpg

If you don't need crazy fast NVMe speeds (probably not since you're only gaming and not into 4K video editing/rendering and 3D Modeling) you can snag this amazing M.2 SSD of 1.1TB for only 270USD: https://www.outletpc.com/ud8826-crucial-mx300-1tb-m2-2280-internal-ssd.html?utm_source=ud8826-crucial-mx300-1tb-m2-2280-internal-ssd&utm_medium=shopping+engine&utm_campaign=pcpartpicker&utm_content=Crucial+-+zOOS
Huge deal IMO

I'm not sure... I only bought the L12 but it hasn't arrived yet and I have no mobo for now.
If you have a caliper rule you can measure the exact height of the ram sticks since G.Skill has said wrong (for the safe side) heights for the Ripjaws V and Z.
dimm_height_small.jpg

I guess I don't have to overclock so one of those CPU coolers with 100% ram capability would work. Any ideas on which would be best to comply with the 66mm requirement?

I guess I don't have to overclock so one of those CPU coolers with 100% ram capability would work. Any ideas on which would be best to comply with the 66mm requirement?

I guess the Noctua NH-L9x65 with undervolting will be a good match!

You got a good deal on your ram, if I were you I'd keep it and worst case scenario sell it on reddit or another place.

I guess the Noctua NH-L9x65 with undervolting will be a good match!

You got a good deal on your ram, if I were you I'd keep it and worst case scenario sell it on reddit or another place.

Yea gonna keep it... I could always remove the heat spreader if I'm desperate enough to have clearance with a good CPU cooler. Let's just hope this thing launches very soon like he said :)

Since this is HardFourm and you guys here are likely the most experienced in this area we will throw in the question here: We would like to add three suggested configuration with different profiles: 1. Budget build 2. Mid range easy to build 3. Balls to the wall.

What should we call them and what should we put in them? We will try to fit the 3:rd one into our budget and bring it to the DreamHack event

Since this is HardFourm and you guys here are likely the most experienced in this area we will throw in the question here: We would like to add three suggested configuration with different profiles: 1. Budget build 2. Mid range easy to build 3. Balls to the wall.

What should we call them and what should we put in them? We will try to fit the 3:rd one into our budget and bring it to the DreamHack event

Use the top hats at the varying price points to also show off expandability.
Maybe call each after the name of top hats that might be corny though.

In seriousness though just name it something simple?

Budget build?
Ryzen + 1060 + Cryorig C7 + SF450 + No top

Midrange?
i5 8th + 1070/ti + Noctua L9x65 + SF600 + Slim/Medium top hat w/Fans

Balls to the wall?
X299 ITX with CPU loop with a 1080 TI with large top hat
Ensourced Shorties + Ensourced extentions

Hi @All im pretty new here but maybe a newbie is the perfect one to say something to the budget build :)

I propose a 1050 ti for the budget build. The 1060 is > 200€ and IMHO thats too much for a budget build.

By the way I love the Case and can't wait for the Campaign. <3

Use the top hats at the varying price points to also show off expandability.
Maybe call each after the name of top hats that might be corny though.

In seriousness though just name it something simple?

Budget build?
Ryzen + 1060 + Cryorig C7 + SF450 + No top

Midrange?
i5 8th + 1070/ti + Noctua L9x65 + SF600 + Slim/Medium top hat w/Fans

Balls to the wall?
X299 ITX with CPU loop with a 1080 TI with large top hat
Ensourced Shorties + Ensourced extentions

+1

Hi @All im pretty new here but maybe a newbie is the perfect one to say something to the budget build :)

I propose a 1050 ti for the budget build. The 1060 is > 200€ and IMHO thats too much for a budget build.

By the way I love the Case and can't wait for the Campaign. <3

I find it hard to believe that someone who is willing to spend a premium price for a case and sfx power supply will be using a GTX 1050ti.
I for one think that most builds we are going to see will be using 1070, 1080 and 1080ti.

I think my personal build is going to be a somewhat Midrange: Ryzen 1600X, Noctua L12, GTX 1080 and no top hat.

+1

I find it hard to believe that someone who is willing to spend a premium price for a case and sfx power supply will be using a GTX 1050ti.
I for one think that most builds we are going to see will be using 1070, 1080 and 1080ti.

I think my personal build is going to be a somewhat Midrange: Ryzen 1600X, Noctua L12, GTX 1080 and no top hat.

I agree with this, I think testing a 1060 would be the absolute minimum. I don't see anyone putting anything less than a 1060 in this case, if that.

Pachalski

Budget

ASRock Z370 MB with Coffee Lake i3 8350K CPU, Noctua NH-L9x65 HSF, 16GB DDR4 RAM (2 @ 8GB DIMMs), one (1) 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSD, EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2, Corsair SF450 PSU (450w, SFX)

Midrange

ASUS Z370 MB with Coffee Lake i5 8600K CPU, Noctua NH-L12 HSF, 32GB DDR4 RAM (2 @ 16GB DIMMs), two (2) 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSDs, ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti, Corsair SF600 PSU (600w, SFX)

Highend

ASRock X299 MB with Skylake-X i7 7820X CPU, Corsair H100i V2 AIO, 64GB DDR4 RAM (4 @ 16GB SO-DIMMs), three (3) 500GB Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe SSDs, Nvidia Titan Xp, Silverstone SST-SX800-LTI PSU (800w, SFX-L)

I just want to say again that I’m super stoked for this case... I really really hope it is released soon! I wonder if it will be a campaign style or straight purchase and ship. Would prefer the 2nd option! I can finally game on the go! (Laptop wasn’t an option).

Thank you for all the setup input. It is of great value and interesting to see few opted for 2.5" drives.

Is the pull able Sweden rag-tag going to be changeable still? Really want to change mine to a Jamaican flag if possible :)

Where do you even buy the rag-tags? Is it a online service you are using lmk please!

Last edited:
So any estimate on the cost and shipping to US, I know the campaign will be launching soon. Also will the case be bundled with the various tophats, or will they be sold separately?

So any estimate on the cost and shipping to US, I know the campaign will be launching soon. Also will the case be bundled with the various tophats, or will they be sold separately?

Good questions! All I can say regarding price is that the shipping to US (in fact all destinations) is cheaper thanks to the flat packaging. And the price of the case is lower than last time. Soon we will release all the details.

Tophats then, we have gotten some requests on other forums that it would be preferable if two tophats could be purchased with the case. They are planning on putting one in the bottom and one in the top (radiator in the top and LP fans in the bottom maybe?). So we will likely add this option during kickstarter (buy 1 or 2) and then sell them separately if we reach the shelves.

The sizes and colors will be selected by each backer after the campaign so you don't need to feel stressed about defining your setup and living room wall paint just yet, only if you want Tophat(s) or not. Also the tophats will be available separately prior to delivery in Scandinavia and Europe through three retailers if everything goes as planned. Still working on US but it will be easier ones the campaign is live to get attention.

Pachalski can answer this better, but he mentioned a month or so ago in this thread that if all goes well it would be Feb 2018.

Hopefully the backers fund this ASAP.
Is Volta scheduled for Q1 2018? o.o

There’s rumor they are going to skip Volta for a mainstream Geforce release. There is a thread on here about this... the card has a different name but can’t remember

The sizes and colors will be selected by each backer after the campaign so you don't need to feel stressed about defining your setup and living room wall paint just yet, only if you want Tophat(s) or not.

So during the Kickstarter we will only have the option for what tophats we want? So if the campaign is a success, will you be sending out messages asking what color we want? Seems kind of inefficient to have to contact all ~1800 backers AFTER the Kickstarter has ended.

So during the Kickstarter we will only have the option for what tophats we want? So if the campaign is a success, will you be sending out messages asking what color we want? Seems kind of inefficient to have to contact all ~1800 backers AFTER the Kickstarter has ended.

We were thinking both TopHat sizes and colors would be collected afterwards. We would use a survey tool to collect the data so it wouldn't be too much overhead. The alternative would be a large number of pledge levels that would be confusing for the potential backer. With multiple case deals this would also be tricky to solve directly in the KS platform?

We were thinking both TopHat sizes and colors would be collected afterwards. We would use a survey tool to collect the data so it wouldn't be too much overhead. The alternative would be a large number of pledge levels that would be confusing for the potential backer. With multiple case deals this would also be tricky to solve directly in the KS platform?

I'm just thinking about being able to contact people after the campaign. I know you'd imagine everyone backing the Kickstarter would be competent and would follow up with a survey asking for specifics, but I can't imagine the headache you're going to have when a small percentage of people just don't respond to your follow up questions. Then what happens, you choose for them? You cancel their order? If you cancel enough orders and the funding falls below the initial mark, could you still deliver the product to those who followed through?

Here's an idea, what if you specify that the base color is black? If they pledge, they get a black base Ghost and that's that. Then require people to either contact you in some specified way or include it in their pledge in a comment or something (I don't know if you can do that, I'm not too familiar with Kickstarter) if they want the other color. That way you don't need to rely on the ~1800 backers to contact you to fulfill their order.

Back