GHOST S1 - When both size & performance matters

ranker2

n00b
Can I get a baseline for expected thermals for a Ghost w/ Large Top Hat for a watercooled i9-9900k + 2080ti in a custom single loop with Swiftech Apogee Drive II + EK FC 2080 TI WB + Nexxos xflow 240 radiator + 2 Noctua A12x15 fans?

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
Updated the fans on my Ghost, I have a 34mm radiator so was unable to use 25mm fans. I was using Deepcool Gamer Storm 120 x 20mm but there were two problems with them, first was the funky blue color that did not go with my build and second the grill was sitting nearly on top of the fans and I was getting turbulence at load.

What I really wanted was Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM Chromax, but I am tired of waiting for Noctua to release slim chromax fans. So I went with Scythe KAZE FLEX 120 SLIM, these are the same fans that come with the Big Shuriken 3 and they work very well and look a hell of a lot better.

37814025bb.jpg

Nanook

Limp Gawd
Updated the fans on my Ghost, I have a 34mm radiator so was unable to use 25mm fans. I was using Deepcool Gamer Storm 120 x 20mm but there were two problems with them, first was the funky blue color that did not go with my build and second the grill was sitting nearly on top of the fans and I was getting turbulence at load.

What I really wanted was Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM Chromax, but I am tired of waiting for Noctua to release slim chromax fans. So I went with Scythe KAZE FLEX 120 SLIM, these are the same fans that come with the Big Shuriken 3 and they work very well and look a hell of a lot better.

View attachment 178036
How do you like the performance of the Scythe fans?

rfarmer

[H]ard|Gawd
How do you like the performance of the Scythe fans?
They are actually very good, even at load they are very quiet. The Noctua are better, 94,2 m³/h vs 86,29 m³/h and 23,9 dB(A) vs 30,4 dB(A) but until the slim chromax are released these will work fine.

Nanook

Limp Gawd
They are actually very good, even at load they are very quiet. The Noctua are better, 94,2 m³/h vs 86,29 m³/h and 23,9 dB(A) vs 30,4 dB(A) but until the slim chromax are released these will work fine.
Well, the Chromax will be a nice upgrade when /if they come out. Silver lining is that you have something to look forward to. :)

irebel

n00b

irebel

n00b
Ghost S1 tweaks inspired by the new Mac Pro
This is how I made the Ghost S1 looks like a mini Mac Pro...
If someone comes across a more elegant way of achieving the desired effect please let me know.

Nanook

Limp Gawd
This is how I made the Ghost S1 looks like a mini Mac Pro...
If someone comes across a more elegant way of achieving the desired effect please let me know.
I love the look, and the fact that all your components are off the shelf. Very clever!

Blorgon

Limp Gawd
Finally got this guy built up!

Having done the Ncase M1 and been happy with everything maybe aside from the noise at full load, this Ghost build is based on an external 480 radiator.
Temps are just silly. Delta's are in the 2-3 degree range with fans at 1000rpm.

Most components were just moved over but I couldn't help but switch from an SFX PSU to the HDPlex combo. So far so good, although the AC/DC adapter does run warm. 45 degrees C feels subjectively warmer than I'd like, although this is well within the comfort zone.
The Aquaero is overkill but it does allow the DDC to be driven off a fan header! Plus it was left over from my M1 build so no extra expense incurred.

Can you go into detail on how you mounted the HDPlex?

Finally got this guy built up!

Having done the Ncase M1 and been happy with everything maybe aside from the noise at full load, this Ghost build is based on an external 480 radiator.
Temps are just silly. Delta's are in the 2-3 degree range with fans at 1000rpm.

Most components were just moved over but I couldn't help but switch from an SFX PSU to the HDPlex combo. So far so good, although the AC/DC adapter does run warm. 45 degrees C feels subjectively warmer than I'd like, although this is well within the comfort zone.
The Aquaero is overkill but it does allow the DDC to be driven off a fan header! Plus it was left over from my M1 build so no extra expense incurred.

View attachment 157235

View attachment 157236 View attachment 157237 View attachment 157238
Godaaaamn that’s incredible. I’ve been wanting to build a ghost but worried about temps. I hadn’t really considered an externally radiated water cooled system until seeing this build. After using it for sometime would you say it’s worthwhile? Any tips or lessons learned you can offer? I’m super interested in a similar build.

Chapeau

Gawd
Can you go into detail on how you mounted the HDPlex?
It's mounted with 3M dual lock tape - Sorry for the uber delayed reply!

Godaaaamn that’s incredible. I’ve been wanting to build a ghost but worried about temps. I hadn’t really considered an externally radiated water cooled system until seeing this build. After using it for sometime would you say it’s worthwhile? Any tips or lessons learned you can offer? I’m super interested in a similar build.
Noise & Temperatures: Absolutely. There's so much excess heat capacity it makes water cooling a bit boring.

Pros: It's quiet, reliable, unobtrusive.

Cons: You need a good control scheme because the wiring and power is somewhat annoying to set up. You'll need good fan hub for the radiator and the external PSU . I don't think it's feasible without an Aquaero as you really need the pump power and temp inputs it can handle. It's still difficult to bleed - I'd still recommend a dedicated fill port located at the highest point of the loop.