Forza Horizon 3

How do you play online in this game? I switched to online mode in the pause menu and it said finding session at the top of my screen, and then it disappeared... Was I online at that point? How do you find other humans? Do you just drive around and hope to run into them?

New patch dropping tonight at 19:00 PDT (UTC -7). Looks like they're stopping the XP exploits with this one.

Forza Motorsport - Forza Horizon 3 October 14 Update

Stability
  • Fixed an issue where having a microphone enabled in the game but no speech pack installed would cause the title to crash on Windows 10
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some Windows 10 players when entering Maroondah Road Bucket List event
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some Windows 10 and Xbox One players when joining online Bucket List Blueprint challenges with mismatched DLC
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some Xbox One players when pausing the game
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some players when collecting Loyalty Rewards while in a Convoy
  • Fixed an issue that would cause a game crash for some players when using the AMD R9 Fury X graphics card on Windows 10
  • Fixed a TDR for Windows 10 players
Performance
  • Players running four-core setups on Windows 10 should see CPU improvements
  • Improved thread layout changes for eight-core setups on Windows 10, resulting in improved performance
  • Improvement to performance in upgrades and tuning screens on Windows 10
  • Fixed a stall when driving in Byron Bay on Windows 10
  • Stall fixed when applying Drivatar liveries while driving on Windows 10
  • Stall fixed when driving in free roam on Xbox One
Wheel Support
  • Improvements to force feedback dead zone and FFB performance when driving on tarmac on both Xbox One and Windows 10
  • Fixed a bug so that wheel button prompts now match the in-game bindings on Windows 10
  • Actions that must be mapped are now identified in the UI and number of actions that must be mapped has been reduced on Windows 10
General Improvements
  • Fix for photo mode being blurry for some Windows 10 players
  • Groove music playback improvements on Xbox One
  • Upgrade basket UI now supports mouse input for Windows 10
  • Fix for bug that prevented Windows 10 players from progressing past the Start screen with no internet connection
  • Added Master Volume option for Windows 10 players
  • Fix to Advanced Camera functionality in left and top views in Paintshop (Xbox One and Windows)
  • Fix to enable Rewind when returning from Co-Op to Solo (Xbox One and Windows)
  • Added option to mute microphones in-game (Xbox One and Windows)
  • Player can now continue driving when fuel runs out (Xbox One and Windows)
Gameplay Changes
  • Horizon Edition cars that boost either Skills or XP no longer provide a benefit in Online Adventure
  • Fixed an issue where the Perk “The XP Bump” worked in Online Adventure. Now it provides no benefit outside of single player racing
  • Added a 30-second cooldown to the Drift Tap Skill
  • Reduced the amount of XP awarded for banking Skill Chains
  • Reduced 3-Star score target on the following Drift Zones: Mountain Scramble, Mountain Foot, Reservoir, and Gold Mine
  • Previous Horizon Edition cars removed from Wheelspins; new Horizon Edition cars added. The new HE cars are the BAC Mono Horizon Edition , Chevrolet Corvette Z06 Horizon Edition, Lamborghini Countach LP5000 QV Horizon Edition, Mercedes C 63 AMG Coupé Black Series Horizon Edition, MG Metro 6R4 Horizon Edition, MINI Cooper S Horizon Edition, and the Subaru Impreza 22B STi Horizon Edition
  • Added the name of the current Championship to Car Select in Online Adventure to help players choose a suitable car
  • Horizon Edition cars display the correct bonus for Wheelspins
  • Fixed an issue where the Landmarks stat was incorrectly listed as 21 instead of 19, stopping players reaching 100 percent complete

this game worth a damn? i loved the first couple on xbox and would love to have a similar experience on pc

this game worth a damn? i loved the first couple on xbox and would love to have a similar experience on pc

The game itself looks even better than the first 2 from the videos/streams I've watched. It stutters on some people's PCs though, and doesn't stutter on others with no real explanation of why that's happening it seems. It does seem to run fine for most people at the same 30FPS the console version is capped at, but when you try to do 60FPS that seems to be when the stuttering really shows up. 30FPS is unacceptable to me, especially for a racing game that is all about the sense of speed....so I am waiting for a demo.

The game itself looks even better than the first 2 from the videos/streams I've watched. It stutters on some people's PCs though, and doesn't stutter on others with no real explanation of why that's happening it seems. It does seem to run fine for most people at the same 30FPS the console version is capped at, but when you try to do 60FPS that seems to be when the stuttering really shows up. 30FPS is unacceptable to me, especially for a racing game that is all about the sense of speed....so I am waiting for a demo.

but can you choose to shift with a clutch like back in the day?

Just tried it out, getting better performance I'd say. At 4k DSR max settings 4x msaa I get about 50-60 fps in the city, stutter seems to be gone.

After driving in VR with the likes of Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Dirt Rally, I just can't do flat screen racing games anymore. The 4K graphics look great, but it's just not the same. Once you driven in VR, there's just no going back.

So now after a couple of hours playtime with the new patch I can say I'm quite happy. Here are a few things I've noticed with this patch and the game in general. Long story short though this patch is great, especially compared to the last patch which didn't change much.

- The game for me just works better with Dynamic Optimization. Last night I was doing a barn find in a rain forest area and had the drone out. I noticed a lot of the foliage was rendering weird, popping all over the place. Changed to Dynamic and it went away. I'm guessing the Xbone version uses this dynamic setting for the most part, and it's making me think that the game is just designed to use it so why fight it? Dynamic Ultra looks great, I get less or no graphical weirdness, and it performs better.

- Everything feels zippier now in menus. Upgrades, designs, even the beginning of the game where you hit a button to start.

- My wheel feels different now, not sure what changed but it just feels different. I suck with the wheel and in almost any racing game I find it easier to use a controller but I love the wheel anyways. Probably the only big gripe I have with this game right now is that I can't make a custom wheel profile, assign the buttons where I want. Technically I can make my own profile but it prevents you from setting the same button multiple times in different context, which the default profiles do no problem. Just let me alter a default profile.

I had some issues before the patch but not too severe. Now this game is performing nearly perfect for me.

After driving in VR with the likes of Assetto Corsa, Project Cars and Dirt Rally, I just can't do flat screen racing games anymore. The 4K graphics look great, but it's just not the same. Once you driven in VR, there's just no going back.

How does your Titan X perform in Project Cars VR? Can you crank the visuals up?

I tried it with a 980 before, was great fun but the graphics looked rather poor. Recently upgraded to a Titan X myself but have not fired up Project Cars VR. I sometimes find it difficult to know how far I can push a game in VR, the sweet spot where you have the best visuals you can get without reprojection kicking in.

How does your Titan X perform in Project Cars VR? Can you crank the visuals up?

I tried it with a 980 before, was great fun but the graphics looked rather poor. Recently upgraded to a Titan X myself but have not fired up Project Cars VR. I sometimes find it difficult to know how far I can push a game in VR, the sweet spot where you have the best visuals you can get without reprojection kicking in.

Yes, go ahead and fire it up again. Makes a huge difference as to overall performance. The new Titan brings to the table easily more than 2x the performance of a 980. Have mine on water and dialed in at just over 2Ghz on the GPU.

Here's hoping that FH3 gets VR support someday.

Last edited:
The patch made a big difference on my A10. Went from 90%+ CPU no matter what I was doing to 50-60% in the middle of races with occasional spikes. I can hold 30FPS steady on dynamic medium. I'll try for 60FPS and/or maybe dynamic high.

Have tried my wheel again but at least the perf is side good enough

It's nice that photo mode works properly on PC now:

lTuK1KD.jpg

My rig is < yours and Its definitely playable with almost zero lag. Is there video settings you refuse to turn down?

Man... I've done it all. I've tried every possible video setting, from the highest to the lowest. Multiple different combinations of framerate smoothing on/off in conjunction with all the different framerate limiting options. Tried every suggested setting in NV control panel, disabling SLI, G-Sync, etc. The only setting thus far that has gotten rid of shuddering for me was to turn the resolution as low as I could (which obviously looks like dog shit). I can get decent framerates, but the studdering is unbearable. If I turn on framerate smoothing, it's better, but I get a very frequent slow-mo effect going on (FPS stays high, but the game slows down). In either scenario, it's distracting at best and at it's worst often throws my race.

Man... I've done it all. I've tried every possible video setting, from the highest to the lowest. Multiple different combinations of framerate smoothing on/off in conjunction with all the different framerate limiting options. Tried every suggested setting in NV control panel, disabling SLI, G-Sync, etc. The only setting thus far that has gotten rid of shuddering for me was to turn the resolution as low as I could (which obviously looks like dog shit). I can get decent framerates, but the studdering is unbearable. If I turn on framerate smoothing, it's better, but I get a very frequent slow-mo effect going on (FPS stays high, but the game slows down). In either scenario, it's distracting at best and at it's worst often throws my race.
Have you tried the patch that came out Friday? It has fixed the issues most people were having with the game. On my PC it completely eliminated the stuttering and pausing.

god damn that's pretty, and is a testament to the model scanning that has been done. when your models have signs of incomplete blocking and other body preparation flaws (beneath the paint), you know your scans are detailed enough.

i really ought to see if Turn10 would want to come out and scan one of the Miura's at work, not only are they missing the apex model (SV), they are missing the motor compartment, trunk and front hood areas, and thier interior is incorrect for even the model they are displaying. we could help them with that.

Ive stopped playing since the huge XP nerf. I dunno if ill go back to the game. Grinding credits is hard enough, now XP is just as hard to grind and takes like 5 times more grinding. Here is my 2 fav cars before the latest update where they fixed the blur issue.
Forza%20Horizon%203%2010_1_2016%204_57_50%20PM.png

Forza%20Horizon%203%2010_14_2016%2012_24_57%20AM.png

Ultimate skill chain bonus went from 12,500 XP to 2,700 XP... I think they went a little too far with that one.

Who cares about the XP, seriously... you still get more then enough to level up quickly, and you max out the perk trees fast. After that point the XP is just free cars and credits.

have you tried looking at what you have running in the background? have you turned off gamedvr in the xbox app?

I'm sure you've got this before, and its totally off topic, but every time I see your user name I think of this!:

ps: sweet pic!

Who cares about the XP, seriously... you still get more then enough to level up quickly, and you max out the perk trees fast. After that point the XP is just free cars and credits.

I'm still cranking out 100K-1M XP doing the same skill chains as before.
This is when not doing what everybody else is doing works in your favor.

I really don't see the purpose of needing to be ranked 300+ in this game so fast.
You've milked the game dry too soon.

have you tried looking at what you have running in the background? have you turned off gamedvr in the xbox app?

Yeah, GameDVR has been off from the get-go. I've tried running the game with everything closed that's not a vital system process. Doesn't help.

Have you tried the patch that came out Friday? It has fixed the issues most people were having with the game. On my PC it completely eliminated the stuttering and pausing.

Yeah. It helped with the studdering a little bit, but not enough for the game to be playable. Any studdering is to much in a game like this. With framerate smoothing on, I haven't noticed a decrease in the weird lag it causes after the latest patch.

It's updated to version 1.0.18.2.

"Today we'll be launching the latest update for Forza Horizon 3 on Windows 10. This update will feature minor updates to improve performance and stability for the Windows 10 version of the game.
Thanks, Brian"

Looks like they "fixed" performance issues by giving a general downgrade in visual fidelity across the board.

Back