Forza Horizon 3

In the Forza games that icon means that your laptime was invalidated during your run. Even though you technically ran a faster time, your rival ran a clean lap. Clean laps rank higher on the leader boards. Hitting walls, leaving the track limits, or hitting other cars are some examples of infractions given.

In the Forza games that icon means that your laptime was invalidated during your run. Even though you technically ran a faster time, your rival ran a clean lap. Clean laps rank higher on the leader boards. Hitting walls, leaving the track limits, or hitting other cars are some examples of infractions given.
I wouldn't say invalidated, just a dirty lap. A clean lap will always rank higher than a dirty lap, even if it's slower. Within the rivals system, once you do a clean lap for the event, every future time will also be clean times.

so basically there are two sets of leaderboards, one clean, one dirty. Clean always trumps dirty laps in the rankings.

Also a dirty in the zone prior to the start of the next lap causes the next lap to be called dirty, even if nothing was done to dirty it. This is a legacy of the FM 2 or FM 3 days when people would push a car to higher speed just before the start of a lap in order to set a faster time.

Caution sign means either you hit something or used rewind which flags your time and hence to beat a rival you need to have times without collisions or rewind.

I still haven't found exactly what causes instability for me because I had everything maxed out with AA turned off and FPS was around 45-60 until I entered a race and it hit 35 or so and completely froze up.

In order to have a stable experience I've found I have to run with the auto detected settings. Kind of sucks. I like smooth 60fps game play but sometimes I just want to see the eye candy but if I want to play without crashing, that doesn't seem like an option in this game.

Maybe NVIDIA will release a driver or the game devs will get useful info back from the reddit users that can help them fix these weird issues.

So short answer to those with stability issues, don't deviate from the auto detected graphics option and you may see your crashing and buggyNess go away.

PS. I am referring to defaults under advanced options. I still have 60fps selected instead of 30fps which truly does make this game a nicer experience on my PC than my XBOX ONE. Even on the auto detected High settings, it does look a bit nicer than XBOX ONE.

I had so many problems with the Anniversary Edition until I reinstalled it. Just download the tool from Microsoft and you can reinstall it from the desktop in no time. Just have to clean up the system files from Disk Cleanup afterwards.

I'm probably going to grab Forza in a few minutes. Hope everything goes well for me. Good luck with the install. ;)

I had so many problems with the Anniversary Edition until I reinstalled it. Just download the tool from Microsoft and you can reinstall it from the desktop in no time. Just have to clean up the system files from Disk Cleanup afterwards.

I'm probably going to grab Forza in a few minutes. Hope everything goes well for me. Good luck with the install. ;)
Good looking out. Ill try that.

This game has actually been running great for me. It crashed within 10 minutes of playing it the first time so I decided it would be good to update the video drivers and it has been almost perfect since. I usually get 60-80 fps on ultra / 2x MSAA at 1440p. Last night I had my first hiccup where it started to rain and I got a solid 20 fps for five seconds or so. Other than that it has been great and I've got around 8 hours into it so far.

The only other weird 'bug' I've seen is that sometimes it gets stuck on a loading screen, but hitting alt+enter twice always fixes it. No idea what that is about but its a really quick and simple fix so I'm not that bothered by it.

is anyone finding this game jittery? like i'll be well over 60 fps but still feels like a micro-stutter type of jitter. even though sli is not enabled. happens on my friend's computer too.

is anyone finding this game jittery? like i'll be well over 60 fps but still feels like a micro-stutter type of jitter. even though sli is not enabled. happens on my friend's computer too.
Yes, every once in awhile. The game apparently uses encrypted files that it must decrypt at run time when streaming assets. The worst of it happens when changing regions like going into Surfer's Paradise.

Yes, every once in awhile. The game apparently uses encrypted files that it must decrypt at run time when streaming assets. The worst of it happens when changing regions like going into Surfer's Paradise.

Any recommendations? Hm, I also found a 350+ comment thread on reddit where Turn10 has reached out to the public for performance logs as they recognize a lot of people are having stuttering and frame drops. I want to LOVE THIS GAME but its so hard to right now! good thing my homie Geralt is waiting for me.

Any recommendations? Hm, I also found a 350+ comment thread on reddit where Turn10 has reached out to the public for performance logs as they recognize a lot of people are having stuttering and frame drops. I want to LOVE THIS GAME but its so hard to right now! good thing my homie Geralt is waiting for me.

The only solution I've seen so far to fix the stuttering is to lock the game at 30 fps.

I'm looking for a fun car racing game as I haven't played anything in recent years. I used to play all NFS games but gave up a few games ago. Test Drive Unlimited was also fun.

Should I get this? Sounds like there are some launch issues but I'm willing to work through those. I'd be playing on a single OC'd 970 at 1920x1200.

Is there anyway I can use my Steam controller to play?

I'm looking for a fun car racing game as I haven't played anything in recent years. I used to play all NFS games but gave up a few games ago. Test Drive Unlimited was also fun.

Should I get this? Sounds like there are some launch issues but I'm willing to work through those. I'd be playing on a single OC'd 970 at 1920x1200.

Is there anyway I can use my Steam controller to play?

This game is a hell of a drug.
I haven't had this much fun racing since Project Gotham Racing 3.

I was skeptical because I saw cars driving through forests and oceans so I though the driving mechanics were going to be shit.
But, you can setup your car with sim attributes. So you can drive with skill in an forgiving arcade environment. This is a formula for endless fun.

With an overclocked (+200) GTX 980, no matter which settings I try, it never runs as smooth and steady as the "Dynamic High" setting. Using Horizon's dynamic feature always results in a smoother visually better experience for me. Strangely, disabling the dynamic setting and manually switching everything to high doesn't approach the results I get with dynamic on.

runs and looks great 60 fps at 4k ultra everything and 2xmsaa, except for when you know it freezes.

runs and looks great 60 fps at 4k ultra everything and 2xmsaa, except for when you know it freezes.

What GPU are you running? I've got Maxwell TitanX and it is barely able to keep 60 on dynamic medium.

Either way, I've had genuine fun with this game so far. The only major gripe I have is that the game simply WILL NOT LET YOU PLAY IT for the first hour or so. It forcibly spoon-feeds you with long-drawn out tutorials and mandatory objectives until I was literally yelling at the screen "LET ME PLAY THE DAMN GAME". After all that was over, I was free-roaming, honking at passers by to get convoys going, doing stunts and in general being super silly. Its great once the game lets you play.

What GPU are you running? I've got Maxwell TitanX and it is barely able to keep 60 on dynamic medium.

Either way, I've had genuine fun with this game so far. The only major gripe I have is that the game simply WILL NOT LET YOU PLAY IT for the first hour or so. It forcibly spoon-feeds you with long-drawn out tutorials and mandatory objectives until I was literally yelling at the screen "LET ME PLAY THE DAMN GAME". After all that was over, I was free-roaming, honking at passers by to get convoys going, doing stunts and in general being super silly. Its great once the game lets you play.

I agree. Just let us play.

One of the most fun parts of the game is during online races. In between races you have to meet at the next starting point to start the next race.
All of the drivers start on the road and then that one guy goes off road and then everyone is baja racing (with sports cars, lol) through the town, turning a 2 mile run into a 1 mile 4x4 race.

According to digital foundry the 30 fps cap is supposed to be much better than other PC games. As in, more smooth and steady and playable. Anyone that can confirm this? I suspect 60 fps is out of the question at 1080p on a gtx 780.

According to digital foundry the 30 fps cap is supposed to be much better than other PC games. As in, more smooth and steady and playable. Anyone that can confirm this? I suspect 60 fps is out of the question at 1080p on a gtx 780.

It's very smooth, but it adds a lot of input lag currently (far more than is on the Xbox One version which is also at 30fps.)

Titan X pascal with a predator 360 cooler

October content update and patch.

Forza Motorsport - Forza Horizon 3 October Update

Today we launched the latest content update for Forza Horizon 3 on both Xbox One and Windows 10. In addition to a brand-new car pack – The Smoking Tire Car Pack – this latest update also includes numerous improvements for both the Xbox One and Windows 10 versions of Forza Horizon 3. These improvements include:

Windows 10
  • Fixed a performance issue on Windows 10 that caused stuttering with high or unlocked framerates on certain hardware configurations
  • Improved stability on Windows 10
  • Disable mouse move detection while driving
  • The Windows 10 video options screen will no longer ask users to save when no changes have been made
  • Additional options have been added to the Windows 10 Advanced Controller Menu. These include:
    • Steering wheel sensitivity
    • Invert Force Feedback
    • Centre spring scale
    • Damping scale
  • Fixed a problem where pre-order cars and the Halo Warthog were not appearing in the Windows 10 version of the game for some players
Wheel Improvements
  • Logitech G27 is now registered correctly on Windows 10, so the correct default mapping will be applied
  • All wheels with enough buttons have had the horn added to their default mappings on Windows 10
  • Fix to dead zones for acceleration and braking axes on wheels
  • Default mappings for all TX Racing Wheel variants
  • Fixed a bug where custom input mappings would not save successfully
General Improvements
  • The Social and Rivals tabs will now unlock for players with Xbox Live Silver accounts
  • Fixed a bug where the racing line would sometimes disappear
  • Controller hot swapping is now available. Players can switch between controllers/their keyboard whenever they choose (including the wheel)
  • Various content fixes for cars
In addition to the fixes above arriving with today’s update, the teams at Playground and Turn 10 are working on addressing further known issues in Forza Horizon 3 including force feedback and wheel support, general stability and performance, and more. Look for more details on these improvements in the future. In the meantime, check the support forums for both the Xbox One and Windows 10 PC versions of Forza Horizon 3 for the latest list of Known Issues, as well as workarounds for select issues in the game.

The Smoking Tire Car Pack contains cars not seen in any previous Forza.
  • 2016 Aston Martin Vulcan
  • 2016 BMW M2 Coupé
  • 2010 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor <-- free car
  • 2016 GTA Spano
  • 1976 Jeep CJ5 Renegade
  • 2000 Lotus 340R
  • 2016 Pagani Huayra BC

Last edited:
I cant stand Matt Farah.

In other news I played the game for hours last night and it didn't crash one time.

I just checked again and I can now download the update. Eager to see the improvements.

edit: 1.89 GB's

edit 2: Update did not change much for me, I get ok performance and I can find settings that work and live with it, but sometimes I still get an occasional stutter even when FPS stays fine. Pretty much the same as before. Still super fun game and I am still optimistic that performance can be improved.

I've tried different DSR resolutions, different levels of AA, different settings, the problems/stutter I see persist no matter the settings and the FPS.

Last edited:
I checked for the update but nothing happened. Any special way to download the update?
Click on your profile picture in the Windows Store, go to Downloads and updates, and click the Check for updates button.

Early reports are that the patch makes stuttering worse with lower framerates than before the patch... I guess I'll find out when I get home tonight.

If I can actually get my wheel settings to not only stick but actually be playable it will be a big improvement

For whatever reason I could get it nigh perfect in open world only to have it ditch my settings in race and then any further changes I made would get randomly dropped. I could win races in Dirt 3, just minutes after plugging in my G920 (using a manually edited profile file no less) but with the "out of the box" support in this game I'm running in last place and spin out for no obvious reason.

If I can actually get my wheel settings to not only stick but actually be playable it will be a big improvement

For whatever reason I could get it nigh perfect in open world only to have it ditch my settings in race and then any further changes I made would get randomly dropped. I could win races in Dirt 3, just minutes after plugging in my G920 (using a manually edited profile file no less) but with the "out of the box" support in this game I'm running in last place and spin out for no obvious reason.

That is really odd, because I would Rate D3 as MUCH harder than Forizon3. There must be something up, as you suggest.

This is a DX12 game. Don't think you can play it on a GTX 780.

It wouldn't run on my 460 SLI.
Well, crap. I didn't realize NVIDIA never released a driver for Fermi with DX12 support, even though they said they would last year... But you still should be able to run the game on Kepler cards like the GTX 780.

The new patch is making me re-download the entire game again. It looks like others are having this issue.

The new patch is making me re-download the entire game again. It looks like others are having this issue.

There was a Windows update a few days ago that was supposed to prevent this. Might be too late now but check for that

Performance seems better for me but I've only had a couple of minutes to test

There was a Windows update a few days ago that was supposed to prevent this. Might be too late now but check for that

Performance seems better for me but I've only had a couple of minutes to test

Windows was updated, which was odd.

Back