Final Fantasy XV

We would like to thank the gaming community for all the feedback on our recently released FFXV WINDOWS EDITION benchmark tool.
Your feedback will help us fine-tune the performance of the game.

We wanted the benchmark tool to approximate the level of visual quality and performance you can expect from your PC environment when running FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION.
A Level Of Detail (LOD) issue has been discovered that affects the benchmark scores.
The benchmark also suffers from stuttering; both of the issues will be addressed in the shipping game.
While the settings in the benchmark are largely pre-selected for simplicity’s sake, the final game will feature highly customizable settings with On/Off options for a wide variety of settings.
The benchmark will give you an idea of how beautiful the game will be upon release, but for the reasons stated above, the benchmark may not accurately reflect the game’s final performance.

At least they addressed the Gamers Nexus findings as well as the issues other people are having. Hopefully they're right about them not showing up in the final product. Its too made they're not going to make a new benchmark, but I imagine the entire team is too busy yo spare people for something like that right now.

Well, someone has already figured out how to edit the settings the benchmark uses. A modder by the name of DrDxxy has released a fairly simply mod to do so. https://github.com/drdaxxy/ffxvBenchCustom

I'd suggest enabling ShowConfig and ShowFPS in the ini file so that you can make sure everything is working.

Turning off only the Gameworks features kept that above 30fps the entire time at 4K, not too shabby. As I suspected, one of the Gameworks features was causing that hitching seen in the normal preset. It vanished after disabling Gameworks effects. Going to have to play around and figure out which one.

New 4K High score is 3743. Not a huge jump from my previous score. It seems like at 4K Gameworks is not eating up that much performance. That is very interesting.

Edit: Looking at the mod, there is something interesting. It seems there is a SLI option in the game's files. I wonder if enabling that in the ini would make SLI work in the benchmark. I don't have SLI to test it myself, but could be interesting for people that do.

SE built the PC version from the ground up, I wouldn't call that lazy. The issue with SLI has to do with the physics engine. It doesn't work well with SLI. At least that was the case when they announced the PC version. Nvidia working with them as a co-developer might have changed that, but I wouldn't count on it.
I'd put money on Hairworks and/or HFTS causing the biggest performance hits. The former, of course, is responsible for turning a single head of hair into 10s of thousands of polygons, while the latter combines PCSS with ray tracing from occluded objects to accurately render shadow.

This game is really going to be a solid deal on PC. It's 25% off on GMG so only $37.50 for a game that easily has 100+ hours of play time and includes all DLC's from day 1..

First FF i'll be playing in a while.

Moooore Gamers Nexus fun with the benchmark:

Well, that certainly explains why Hairworks is so damn demanding at all points in the benchmark. I suppose it accurately represents how the game renders things, but god damn. If the game renders the entire game world (or needlessly massive portions of it) all the time then holy crap that explains everything about performance on both the benchmark and the consoles.

I'm pretty sure an exceedingly advanced engine that saw hundreds of engineers over years doesn't just forgo culling.

This theory makes no sense anyway. Wtf would the point of free cam in Ansel be if 60% of the scene is missing because your camera dipped behind a rock or you couldn't see behind you.

Why would it represent what you saw when you hit the hot key and not just... move the camera.

Edit: just saw performance was from an LOD problem

Last edited:
Res? Which preset? Any modifications to the settings?

Standard on 1080p.
I have a 1440 monitor and generally play most games on high(ish) settings.

I can't tell if this game is poorly optimized or its simply the latest in graphics technology.

It certainly didn't look that impressive

Given
Standard on 1080p.

I can't tell if this game is poorly optimized or its simply the latest in graphics technology.

Really have to disagree with that.

It seems to run really well on my setup (5820k, 1080ti), but even if it didn't i'd be fine with it.. The game looks absolutely incredible on the highest settings. The level of detail of the faces, the facial animations, and generally how good every detail looks given the size/scope of the game is just absolutely incredible. This is one of the first, if not the first, open world game to utilize the same texturing/modeling technology found in games like Battlefront. Things just look.. Really good.

Given

It seems to run really well on my setup (5820k, 1080ti), but even if it didn't i'd be fine with it.. The game looks absolutely incredible on the highest settings. The level of detail of the faces, the facial animations, and generally how good every detail looks given the size/scope of the game is just absolutely incredible. This is one of the first, if not the first, open world game to utilize the same texturing/modeling technology found in games like Battlefront. Things just look.. Really good.

I'll have to install this on my 1080ti miner rig and see if it looks any better after running it on high.

Even my wife thought it looked unimpressive.
It must be a big deal though- people are going crazy over it.

I'll have to install this on my 1080ti miner rig and see if it looks any better after running it on high.

Even my wife thought it looked unimpressive.
It must be a big deal though- people are going crazy over it.

I don't know what to say man. The scenes running the in the benchmark don't give you appreciation for close up details of the faces.

It's the faces that are really making me wow. Check out the 2 minute launch trailer video and some of the close ups, or the gameplay video floating around where that lord is talking. It has the best facial animations/texturing/modeling I've seen to date.

Standard on 1080p.

On a technical level the game is a masterpiece. Watch that Gamers Nexus GPU test vid I posted. There are some outstanding features included in the game. There is a ton of detail in things too. I don't think any game out right now has better looking cars and the character models are incredibly good. The texture work is top-notch, especially high-res textures. If the clothes animated better they would almost look real. There are a lot of little details that hurt it though. The lighting isn't great. The trees are not good looking. With Nvidia Turf on the foliage looks great, but with it disabled it looks like stuff designed for consoles. The motion blur and depth of field effects are horrendous. Some of the worst I've seen in a long time. The DoF makes the distance look like a muddy mess. That shit needs to go, ASAP.

The benchmark is a VRAM eater. A 3GB card is just not going to be ideal for pumping up settings, the card will quickly run out of VRAM.

I walked away from the benchmark fairly pleased:

@1080p

Lite - 5640 (Perf: Fairly High)
Standard - 4305 (Perf: Standard)

As long are there are plenty of video options upon release, I have no doubt I can easily tweak this game to run real nioce.

Given

I agree. People just expect to much. Everyone expects games to look life like and anything less then 305858930.45 fps is unoptimized bullshit console port while running on a potato computer. So far it looks like SE did a hell of a job with this game and should be respected for it.

Decided to do something a little crazy. I overclocked the mobile 1050 in my laptop, just to see what would happen. At an OC of +75 (that was about as high as I felt comfortable pushing) I managed to full in a solid 50fps average with 720p/Standard. Not too shabby. I'm getting the distinct impression that I'm going to have fun playing with settings in the final game in an attempt to eek out as much performance as possible on both my main gaming system and this laptop.

So I think we can say the workshop support is a thing that is happening:

5wWXvR2.png

Last week there were 4 new workshop items and this week there are 9. Good sign for workshop support I'd say.

---------------------------

Tomorrow and Sunday the developers will be on stage at the PC Gamer Weekender event and they will be taking questions from the audience. Their panels will be at 12:30 UTC on Sat and 11:30 UTC on Sun. PCGamer will be livestreaming the event on their Twitch channel and some talks will be recorded and released later on. No info on if either of those apply to either panel

Reactions: Q-BZ
like this
Sorry for triple posting but no one else is replying and I've got more stuff to add.

PCGamer released video of a nearly 13 minute interview with FFXV developers from their Weekender Event:

Random notes-

Reconfirmation of this not being a port and instead being built from the ground up for the PC

Huge range of graphical options

They created brand new assets for the PC version

Confirmation that more support is coming to the game and further paid DLC

On the PC they plan to keep updating it to make it more open to gamers and add new options

Mod tools confirmed

They want to provide an open ability to mod

Sorry for triple posting but no one else is replying and I've got more stuff to add.

PCGamer released video of a nearly 13 minute interview with FFXV developers from their Weekender Event:

Random notes-

Reconfirmation of this not being a port and instead being built from the ground up for the PC

Huge range of graphical options

They created brand new assets for the PC version

Confirmation that more support is coming to the game and further paid DLC

On the PC they plan to keep updating it to make it more open to gamers and add new options

Mod tools confirmed

They want to provide an open ability to mod

I call bullshit that it built from the ground up. It would of taken them more then 1 1/2 to release it then. They did put a lot of work into it but doesn't really look much more impressive then what is on a PS4 pro.

I call bullshit that it built from the ground up. It would of taken them more then 1 1/2 to release it then. They did put a lot of work into it but doesn't really look much more impressive then what is on a PS4 pro.

It looks a lot better than the Pro, especially with the Nvidia stuff on. Will look even better once we can turn off DOF and Motion Blur.

I highly doubt its only been a year and a half since they started working on it. The engine itself was designed to run on the PC from the get go and they designed early builds to run on the PC. Before the game even came out they had been doing PC builds. I'd imagine by March it would be 18-20 months of work. That sounds like enough time for ground up work. Ground up doesn't mean they have to re-do the entire game. With the massive team they have its not that hard to do it in under two years.

If I could transfer my save from PS4 to PC I might consider buying this. Otherwise...meh, I already put in my time.

Square Enix published the game's EULA to the store page. There are zero mentions of DRM or Denuvo anywhere in the EULA. Games like FF12 mention Denuvo in them. This doesn't mean that the EULA cannot change between now and release but it is starting to look more and more likely that Denuvo will not be present in the game.

Final Fantasy 15 to get free demo next week, limited-time Half-Life Steam crossover

"If you pre-purchase or purchase FF15 Windows Edition on Steam before 1st May 2018, you can claim the Half-Life pack via Steam Workshop," reads this Steam Community post. "This pack features an in-game costume for Noctis based on Gordon Freeman, star of the legendary Half-Life video game series and the pack will also be available for FFXV Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades as well. This means your in-game avatar will also be able to wear Gordon Freeman’s suit."...

http://steamcommunity.com/games/637650/announcements/detail/1661137104726728365

Final Fantasy 15 to get free demo next week, limited-time Half-Life Steam crossover

"If you pre-purchase or purchase FF15 Windows Edition on Steam before 1st May 2018, you can claim the Half-Life pack via Steam Workshop," reads this Steam Community post. "This pack features an in-game costume for Noctis based on Gordon Freeman, star of the legendary Half-Life video game series and the pack will also be available for FFXV Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades as well. This means your in-game avatar will also be able to wear Gordon Freeman’s suit."...

http://steamcommunity.com/games/637650/announcements/detail/1661137104726728365

I was just typing this up when you posted. Saved me from having to do more double posting. It will be interesting to see if they've fixed some of the issues from the benchmark. I hope Gamers Nexus takes an in-depth look at the demo like they did for the benchmark.

I already have this on PS4 Pro but might pick it up on PC if mods are going to be available...

If I could transfer my save from PS4 to PC I might consider buying this. Otherwise...meh, I already put in my time.

Is there currently any talk about this?

Square Enix published the game's EULA to the store page. There are zero mentions of DRM or Denuvo anywhere in the EULA. Games like FF12 mention Denuvo in them. This doesn't mean that the EULA cannot change between now and release but it is starting to look more and more likely that Denuvo will not be present in the game.
Wait, FF12 has Denuvo, or does it only mention Denuvo?

D/Ling now. ill see how this 4790k/970 handles it.

edit: seems to run fine, 1080 high no gameworks gets 50-120fps(my cap)

Last edited:
The game seems a bit of issue when max out at 5K resolution. The actual graphic looks like rendered under 1080p for some reason...

I don't know if its the new Nvidia drivers or something I didn't notice last night while playing on previous drivers; but I'm getting a lot of stutter when swinging around the camera or heading into a store today regardless of resolution settings. My FPS will be hovering around 50 and then will tank down to the 30s, the menus are even worse and flutter around 20 to 40 fps while going through the selections. I'm pretty sure it was much smoother last night on old drivers but I haven't rolled them back yet to verify. Changing resolutions from 4k to 1080p didn't fix the stutter either just gives me higher FPS which mean nothing compared to the jerky movements.

Edit: Reading comments from other sources seem to indicate the Nvidia 391.01 drivers are garbage and causing FPS fluctuations in many different games. Time to roll back I guess.
Edit 2: Rolled back to 390.77 which fixed the stutter and FPS issues. Fuck you Nvidia.

Last edited:
Game runs great on my machine. I am noticing some odd greenish glow on their faces, though. Anyone else experiencing that?

Finally got to test it out on my desktop. Was able to run it maxed out at 4k locked to 30fps. There were some nasty dips. Not sure if its due to issues caused by the drivers like KamelRed talked about or if its just due to stressing the 1080 beyond what it can handle. I'll mess around with stuff tomorrow and see what happens if I roll back to 390.77 and then tweak settings a bunch to see what is needed to get a solid 4K/30 and then see what I need to do to hit 1440/60.

On my GTX770 2GB the physics keep glitching/flickering (jumping between default and correct state), capping the framerate to 30fps helps somewhat but they still malfunction occasionally, while setting CPU or GPU Physx make no difference. Same issue with both 388.71 & 391.01.

Another bug I've seen is 5.1 audio output is broken (distorted audio) on Win7, but an easy workaround is just setting a 7.1 speaker config with only 5.1 speakers selected.

After running it for a few hours testing various settings, it suddenly starting performing better and framerate stabilized. I wonder if it was just a matter of a billion shaders being cached, or otherwise Windows beginning to cache assets to standby memory. On load physics sometimes still glitch, but much shorter now. Seems related to additional assets being loaded from disk, since once the disk read goes idle, it stops shortly after. If you then spin the camera 360 for a few seconds to let stuff near-by load in, it becomes completely stable. Ultimately since my GT770 2GB is old and low memory at this point, it could only maintain a stable 30fps minimum at 2560x1440 with the following settings:
Code:
[BasicSettings]
DisplayResolutionWH=2560x1440
GraphicsPreset=4
MaxFramerate=30
RenderingResolutionRatio=100
ShowFPS=0

[DisplaySettings]
CurrentDisplay=0
FullScreenModeOnStartup=1
HDRLuminanceScale=600
HardwareFullScreenMode=1