Final Fantasy XV

Lets update thread title:
Final Fantasy XV: GameWorks Edition
upload_2017-8-21_10-11-47.png

For all that... how good of a game is it really?

It is...Interesting and polarizing. The world design is absolutely stunning. From how the game looks graphically to just how well designed every part of the game world is, it is one hell of a good looking game. Monster and character design is excellent as well. There was clearly a lot of time, money, and passion poured into the look of world. Considers the game's size, it is probably one of the best designed titles on the market right now.

The game's plot is kind of eh. It works but it isn't amazing. The characters are fun, but the main story is simply serviceable.

The gameplay, though, damn. This is where the real polarizing element of the game comes in, but I love how it plays. If you've played Kingdom Hearts you can get a feel for what they were going for, but it plays so much better than any KH game. Movement is smooth, combat feels frantic. The early game is this great experience of feeling like you have to be extremely careful because almost anything can kill you, especially in groups, and as soon as you feel confident in taking on those early enemies it throws enemies at you that you will have to run from until you're much stronger. It is very much not a traditional Final Fantasy game.

There are a lot of side quests that end up feeling like MMO-style quests. A lot of "go here, get that" and "go there, kill this" style quests, but I feel like the game doesn't overload you too much with side-quests. The game really is about doing those quests and enjoying the banter between the four main characters.

Wut 170GB? 4k textures or not how can this be 100gb more then the next fully patched/DLC PS4 version?

Wut 170GB? 4k textures or not how can this be 100gb more then the next fully patched/DLC PS4 version?

4K textures are huge and there are a lot of textures in the game. Not to mention sound will probably be uncompressed. Plus, space requirements are always over estimated.

4K textures are huge and there are a lot of textures in the game. Not to mention sound will probably be uncompressed. Plus, space requirements are always over estimated.
Rip people with data caps. Enjoyed the base game enough but not willing to rebuy it for PC. I haven't even gone through the DLC yet.

Last edited:
For all that... how good of a game is it really?

tumblr_noitiyzMZm1qa1ubyo1_400.gif

Pretty freaking awesome, if you're into the new battle system and Japanese action based RPG's in general. Story is OK...not fantastic. Taking what Derangel said:

It is...Interesting and polarizing. The world design is absolutely stunning. From how the game looks graphically to just how well designed every part of the game world is, it is one hell of a good looking game. Monster and character design is excellent as well. There was clearly a lot of time, money, and passion poured into the look of world. Considers the game's size, it is probably one of the best designed titles on the market right now.

The game's plot is kind of eh. It works but it isn't amazing. The characters are fun, but the main story is simply serviceable.

The gameplay, though, damn. This is where the real polarizing element of the game comes in, but I love how it plays. If you've played Kingdom Hearts you can get a feel for what they were going for, but it plays so much better than any KH game. Movement is smooth, combat feels frantic. The early game is this great experience of feeling like you have to be extremely careful because almost anything can kill you, especially in groups, and as soon as you feel confident in taking on those early enemies it throws enemies at you that you will have to run from until you're much stronger. It is very much not a traditional Final Fantasy game.

There are a lot of side quests that end up feeling like MMO-style quests. A lot of "go here, get that" and "go there, kill this" style quests, but I feel like the game doesn't overload you too much with side-quests. The game really is about doing those quests and enjoying the banter between the four main characters.

That's the thing. People either love or hate the combat. Since FF12, this free-roaming style was built in. But with subsequent versions, that was flushed out further. Now we have this full action, button smashing, spell casting while jumping around gameplay. You either like that, or you don't really. Comparing to Kingdom Hearts is pretty fair. They both off very, very similar combat, but 15's combat is just so much more fleshed out and smoother. Once you get really good at chaining attacks together and moving from enemy to enemy, it feels immensely satisfying. Some of the creatures you fight at night will really test your ability as well (they're far stronger). The great thing about the side-quests is just that, they're side quests. However, they add a lot to the atmosphere and camaraderie of the four protagonists.

The recommended specs posted by Gearnuke are NOT official. SE is declining to give specs right now due to the port still being early in development. The Gamescom build is running at 4K on a 6700K with a 1080 ti. When PC gamer asked about specs they were told:

We can say now that FF15 on PC supports native 4K and also up to 8K, as well as HDR 10. But we haven’t really revealed anything like minimum specs yet because we’re developing at such a high end which means we can’t really define it with current standards now. At some point we will publish the recommended and minimum specs, but we can’t say exactly what they are at the moment.

Source: http://www.pcgamer.com/final-fantas...source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

The entire article is worth reading as well as it has impressions of the Gamescom build as well as a couple more statements from people involved with the PC port.

Looks like I'll be getting this on PC to hook up to the 65". Time to dust off the PC. This doesn't mean I'm back to PC gaming! :cool:

Please don't fuck this up SE. Just make it 99% bug free on launch and I'll be happy.

Mod support is planned.

OC3D:
FFXV Director Hajime Tabata said:
I think one of the biggest things [PC] players can expect is mod support. We definitely want to do it. We haven’t actually managed to get our full modding policy or discussions on that finished but at the moment we do really want to do it. We’ll have the full details around autumn time.

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2017/08/relax-final-fantasy-15-wont-be-170gb-on-pc/

Final Fantasy 15 Won't Be 170GB On PC
"That was a mistake, actually," Tabata said through a translator. "That was a communications mistake - something got put in a memo that really shouldn't have. What that is [the specifications that went out to press] based on the specs that we're running the demo on today."

"Again, the final specs for the release version haven't been fixed yet. There's a very good chance they can change. Someone put that in there and it got reported as the recommended specs, but that's not the final fixed version. The fact that it became that number is a communication [error]."

It is so weird seeing the Regalia going off road like that. I'm so used to having to stick to the roads with it. I love the mission they showed. The Deadeye hunt is one of my favorites in the early game. Pity they didn't show the entire mission, I like how tense the actual battle with the creature is.

Glad this is coming sooner than later, definitely going to pick it up if not only to see it maxed it in true 4k.

I'm back with more news! This comes from PCGamer

Tabata said:
I think the very first step towards that, we've exceeded,” Tabata says. “With our technical partnership and joint-development with NVidia—I think we managed to convince them that we are serious about the PC market. The fact that they worked together with us and helped us do that announcement is a big sign of that.

I know this will likely mean issues for AMD, even if only in the short term, but it is nice to hear that Nvidia is directly working on developing the PC version that should mean its better than the usual quality of PC ports out of the Japanese side of SE.

The Steam version of the game will have Steam Workshop support.

The game is not locked to 30fps.

Tabata states that running the game maxed out (4K HDR with all settings maxed) at 60fps is currently not possible. Even the 7600-1080 ti system they have it running on at Gamescom is not capable of maxing out 4K. Sounds like this might be a good Volta showcase game for Nvidia, assuming its actually optimized well.

Tabata said:
ISo, multiple cards, there's the loading of the previous frame and you have that little bit of delay. It doesn't allow for that proper 60 frames. In order to get that really smooth 60 frames, you need a higher capacity base in order to do that. All the physics simulations as well need to be refreshed in every frame—if you have two cards running in tandem there's that little bit of delay between the sending of data between the two cards and that's what makes it impossible.

Don't expect multi-GPU support then. Sounds like the game is doing a lot of GPU-based physics calculations. Someone much smarter than me will have to weigh in on if what he is saying makes sense.

The game should be playable on a wide range of machines. With systems roughly console spec not having any problems. That is good sign as console hardware is pretty weak.

Tabata said:
I think this is for us a great opportunity in getting the game out to the PC market that the latest Final Fantasy game is serious about the PC market and its players. We're taking on that challenge with everything we've got and it'd just be great to get some kind of feedback on that, players' reactions and understand what people are expecting towards our game.

I continue to wonder more and more if they're going to wait to launch the game until around Volta. If the game is this demanding it might prove to be a great showpiece for Nvidia to use when they reveal Volta and could even be a good pack-in with cards. Especially if Volta gaming cards really will launch Q1 or early Q2 next year.

In another bit of news: Tabata also stated that they want to give modders as much freedom as possible so they don't plan to stop people from releasing nude mods for the characters, even if he does not really like them.

In another bit of news: Tabata also stated that they want to give modders as much freedom as possible so they don't plan to stop people from releasing nude mods for the characters, even if he does not really like them.
This is the only thing we needed to know. Just remember: it's not gay as long as the balls don't touch.

Hopefully Nvidia has their new cards out around the time the game launches, I'm pretty sure I'll be on a 4k display around then.

Yeah I'm on one now and when I saw this my wallet immediately prepared itself for the next Titan card...hopefully its sooner than later.

Dumb question: This may be another translation/uknown issue but is this game going to be for Win10 only? I sure hope not.

Dumb question: This may be another translation/uknown issue but is this game going to be for Win10 only? I sure hope not.

I doubt it. SquareEnix has nothing to gain by making it Windows 10 only, unless it fully relied on DX12, which no game as far as I know has done yet.

60 fps and available on this side of the Pacific please!

Seriously though, 60fps and I am sure this game will sell like hotcakes.

EDIT: Realised it's probably 60fps from the video.

Here is hoping being able to enable English Subtitles with Japanese voiceovers?

Back