Far Cry Primal

Click pause on HD, still looks blurred. Don't know how anyone can make a quality judgment from a YT video. Should look similar to FC4 yeah?

It looks...kind of cool. Overall seems way too similar to the other games, and they're trying to make up for the lack of guns with being able to control animals I guess. Which is pretty cool but I'm not sure it's enough to carry the game.

While I did enjoy FC3 and FC4 (despite some bugs) I think they're going to have to change how you claim territory. The repeated outposts is fun, because you can try different things each time. Some of the small island ones in FC3 offered some unique attacking options such as pulling bad guys into the water. But the concept will get stale with a 3rd iteration.

They need to make capturing territory a bit different in the next one. The story missions themselves are a bit varied. Capturing territory needs to be similar. Blow up a bridge to stop reinforcements coming over to territory X. Or at least heavy land vehicles. Let say they will use boats to cross the river. Hit the outpost to stop the soldiers. Something more than "destroy outpost Y, now no enemies appear in territory X". Just changing the theme won't help much.

I'd take firearms instead of this any day. And its honestly not that unique. There is no shortage of games with old weapons - Witcher, Skyrim, Assassin's Creed and just about any RPG/adventure game really. All right, maybe there are no towns as you're playing cavemen but that is a minor difference.

I'd take shooting dinos with guns over this. :p

I guess it's a personal thing, since I kind of stick to only first person games. For first person games, there's not much in the old weapons category. Oh well at least I get this.

What about it looks awful?

I'll admit that Ubisoft's trademark open world is getting stale, but this actually looks interesting. I'll take it over another modern day run-and-gun Far Cry 5. I wouldn't say it's a day one buy for me, but it looks far from what I'd call "awful"

the whole concept behind making the animals and hunting side quest into the main story is what doesn't work for me...also the Stone Age setting sounds interesting on paper but it looks like any other wilderness setting to me (with some prehistoric animals)...it actually reminds me a lot of Assassin's Creed 3 for some reason

While I did enjoy FC3 and FC4 (despite some bugs) I think they're going to have to change how you claim territory. The repeated outposts is fun, because you can try different things each time. Some of the small island ones in FC3 offered some unique attacking options such as pulling bad guys into the water. But the concept will get stale with a 3rd iteration.

They need to make capturing territory a bit different in the next one. The story missions themselves are a bit varied. Capturing territory needs to be similar. Blow up a bridge to stop reinforcements coming over to territory X. Or at least heavy land vehicles. Let say they will use boats to cross the river. Hit the outpost to stop the soldiers. Something more than "destroy outpost Y, now no enemies appear in territory X". Just changing the theme won't help much.

Yeah, they really need to make capturing outposts and stuff mean more in the grand scheme of the game. Right now it's just another checkmark on the "x out of N checkpoints captured" card.

possibly the biggest problem was that the base capture mechanic was either too easy or too hard. once you get a sniper rifle there was no reason to use anything else. You got all these dozens of skills, example, melee someone and use their knife to stab someone else, repeat. Just confusing overload. Easier to hang back, snipe and repeat. And the save game system does not help. It is all or nothing. I would love to have difficult sections where you save and then try different approaches. They have dumbed it down so you either succeed or have to restart the section.

Looks fun to me, something original and fresh, would rather have this than yet another modern day combat game. Sounds goofy, but I wish they could make a sequel set in the Jurassic age somehow, would require something cheesy like time machines though.

This looks anything BUT "original and fresh."

It's the same copy and paste style gameplay as Far Cry, you have outposts, you have "bonfires" that work bascially like the things in far cry.

Just going to be a collect-a-thon lifeless world filled with doing the same mundane things over and over and over.

This game could have been so much more, just like Black Flag, if they stopped trying to shoehorn things that should NOT be tied into those IP's and instead let them be their "own" thing and didn't stick the developers tot he same formula as every-single ubisoft game these days.

This looks anything BUT "original and fresh."

It's the same copy and paste style gameplay as Far Cry, you have outposts, you have "bonfires" that work bascially like the things in far cry.

Just going to be a collect-a-thon lifeless world filled with doing the same mundane things over and over and over.

This game could have been so much more, just like Black Flag, if they stopped trying to shoehorn things that should NOT be tied into those IP's and instead let them be their "own" thing and didn't stick the developers tot he same formula as every-single ubisoft game these days.

Compared to farcry 2, 3 and 4, yea I consider it original and fresh. Don't know why that would upset you. I mean, farcry 2,3,4, bf3, bf4, cod, cs, etc. the first person genre is overloaded with modern day military shooters and I get bored of it. The other favorite for first person games is sci-fi (deus ex, star wars, fallout) which is about the same but with pew pew pew instead of bang bang bang. Of the medieval and before setting, we basically just have elder scrolls. Now I'm not commenting on game mechanics, because I've only seen a few short videos and can only comment on the setting really.

Yeah the setting in of itself is a good change of pace, I was just mainly talking about the actual gameplay in terms of being something new, cause from the "lets plays" and videos that have popped up over the past day it looks like the same old same old with new window dressing over it.

There's so much more that could have been done to make it different and stand apart from other ubisoft games.

Have a tribe you lead that you help survive, having to find food/water/shelter, have equipment you can craft and things you can learn to make as you skill up and uncover secrets hidden in the world.

Have the animals actually be treated like a companion and not these "Throw away" things you use more like a tool instead Where they have their own personality and characters and you get to bond with them over the course of the game as both they and you grow.

Those are some nice ideas, and hopefully we'll get that one day, but man i'll take what I can get to get away from the shooting games for a minute. Haven't actually seen the let's play videos, didn't know they were already out, will have to check them out.

Everyone should go replay farcry 1 its still good with its replay value.

The fact that this game ISN'T Blood Dragon 2 makes it even worse.

Ugh, still can't believe they stuck the Far Cry name on this. May or may-not buy when it hits around the $5 mark.

Might pick it up on a sale in a year or so but launch day....

seinfeld_no_thanks1.gif

No guns, my reason to buy.

I'm interested in this game for sure.
Very upset that they are leaving the map creator out.

Ubisoft has issued the PC system specs today in a handy blog post...here are the minimum and recommended system line-ups.

Minimum:

Supported OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
Processor: Intel Core i3-550 | AMD Phenom II X4 955 or equivalent.
RAM: 4GB.
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (1GB VRAM) | AMD Radeon HD 5770 (1GB VRAM) or equivalent.
Hard Disk Space: 20 GB.
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller.

Recommended:

Supported OS: Windows 7, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only).
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K | AMD FX-8350 or equivalent.
RAM: 8GB.
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 | AMD Radeon R9 280X or equivalent.
Hard Disk Space: 20 GB.
Peripherals: Windows-compatible keyboard, mouse, optional controller

http://blog.ubi.com/far-cry-primal-pc-specs/

thats the first time my PC is 100% of the recommended specs (2600k,780,8gb)

why is watching an FPS game played on a console just so......ew...the movement is just so awkward.

this game is actually getting slightly better reviews then I was thinking it would...it's averaging in the 7-8 range...I was thinking maybe scores closer to 6-7...either way I still have zero interest in this and I played and enjoyed all the other Far Cry games (yes even Far Cry 2)

I think this will be a great $5 buy for me. 20 hours of boring nonsense is not something I look forward to. I also hate melee in first person action games (RPGs I am fine with).
I don't even know why UBI bothered with this game at all.

Dat waterfall, though...
this game is actually getting slightly better reviews then I was thinking it would...it's averaging in the 7-8 range...I was thinking maybe scores closer to 6-7...either way I still have zero interest in this and I played and enjoyed all the other Far Cry games (yes even Far Cry 2)
Translating that to a linear scale, a 7-8 is really around a 5 on a 0-10 scale given the review curve. To gaming publications a 6 might as well be a 1.

I think this will be a great $5 buy for me. 20 hours of boring nonsense is not something I look forward to. I also hate melee in first person action games (RPGs I am fine with).
I don't even know why UBI bothered with this game at all.
My guess would be the success of games like ARK and The Forest is what prompted this. Games like this seem to be the new in thing and UBI wants to hop on that bandwagon before its too late and the fad dies out.

are you thinking Crysis? Far Cry had no aliens.

It's one of the biggest controversies/backlash of FC. The aliens/mutants show up mid game and that is when the game goes to shit. Everything before that is great.

Far Cry is notorious for having an amazing first half while the second half is hot garbage. Resident Evil 4 and Dark Souls 1 are also in the same boat.

Everyone should go replay farcry 1 its still good with its replay value.

game probably still looks amazing today but I would love to see a remaster...I own the disc version and haven't played it in years but I want to pick this up on Steam for cheap during a future Steam sale

are you thinking Crysis? Far Cry had no aliens.

You never played Far Cry 1 then, because Far Cry DID have aliens.

I watched a stream and review of this game and honestly, zero interest. It just looked really boring. Far Cry 3 was fun because all the systems felt new (for a Far Cry/Ubisoft game), but it's getting boring now. You have a much smaller choice of weapons as well.

Reactions: DF-1
like this
Formula has run its course. I'm still pretty skeptical about this concept.

Day one Steam sale buy for me. I quite liked Far Cry 3 at the time (for gameplay, definitely not story), 4 was almost completely forgettable if not actually bad, this will probably be fun but it's clearly just another Far Cry 3/4 in drag.

You never played Far Cry 1 then, because Far Cry DID have aliens.

I watched a stream and review of this game and honestly, zero interest. It just looked really boring. Far Cry 3 was fun because all the systems felt new (for a Far Cry/Ubisoft game), but it's getting boring now. You have a much smaller choice of weapons as well.

Far Cry had mutants that were human created. I don't remember there being any alien involvement.

Back