Eurogamer gave FarCry 3 10/10

hahahahaha so glad I could contribute to this thread in some way

Posted from Hardforum.com App for Android

Maybe time to get back to the discussion of the actual game then.

- Turn off the music, otherwise surround sound is useless. Much better experience.

Can someone comment on this? What does it mean???

While the game is fun and is probably a 85/100 or so for me, it makes me a) wish that its world was as harsh as the Zone, and b) makes me wish that Stalker 2 were in development :(

I'll have to play Stalker SoC again after this, but frankly after playing FC3, there will be elements that i wish Stalker had, namely vehicles and more open maps.

Also, one of the best things i believe FC3 has done, is the animations. The takedown animations, jump/climb animations, driving animations, etc---they all kinda bothered me at first, but have ended up serving to make the game more immersive.

Also, one of the best things i believe FC3 has done, is the animations. The takedown animations, jump/climb animations, driving animations, etc---they all kinda bothered me at first, but have ended up serving to make the game more immersive.

I don't know - after the 100th time I've watched him skin an animal by taking the same huge chunk of meat out of it I am looking for a way to disable them.

I'm in the middle of Assassin's Creed 3 and I can't imagine Far Cry 3 having better hunting/skinning gameplay mechanics...AC3 might be the best ever to do it

Last edited:
I'm in the middle of Assassin's Creed 3 I can't imagine Far Cry 3 having better hunting/skinning gameplay mechanics...AC3 might be the best ever to do it

Try hunting black panther in a middle of high grass and foliage with a bow, knowing that you had to put 4 or such arrows in her, to kill her, and the only chance to find her is positioning audio (if you play hard mode and not use hunting syringes)... and then she charges at you :)

I don't know - after the 100th time I've watched him skin an animal by taking the same huge chunk of meat out of it I am looking for a way to disable them.

Well okay, so this one animation could have used some work... but the others?

The driving animations, for instance, really bring me into the game. Especially when i get surprised by something, put it in reverse and gun it, then crash into a tree or back up off a cliff... just seems more real than in any other driving game.

I'm in the middle of Assassin's Creed 3 and I can't imagine Far Cry 3 having better hunting/skinning gameplay mechanics...AC3 might be the best ever to do it

Really??? you don't even get to fight the animals. Press E, then Press Space, Then press Q.

yea that's really good mechanics. I lol'd RL when i first saw that...

Really??? you don't even get to fight the animals. Press E, then Press Space, Then press Q.

yea that's really good mechanics. I lol'd RL when i first saw that...

I was referring to the hunting/stalking/skinning aspect of AC3...hide in the bushes, stalk them from the top of trees, use bait, snares, arrows, rope darts etc...also love that you only get full pelt if you use your blade...shooting them nets you a much smaller pelt

fighting animals is different but still fun even with the quick time events mainly because of the huge variety of animals in the game...fighting animals in the game most likely would not be that much more fun because it would be way too easy...it's a game so you could probably take down a bear or panther with a few shots

Maybe time to get back to the discussion of the actual game then.

The topic of the thread is "Eurogamer gave FarCry 3 10/10" which means the discussion is about FarCry and what constitutes a perfect 10.

The driving animations, for instance, really bring me into the game. Especially when i get surprised by something, put it in reverse and gun it, then crash into a tree or back up off a cliff... just seems more real than in any other driving game.
Seriously, have you ever played a game called DIRT 2? The driving physics is very stiff & crysisISH 1 in FC3.

If you find a way to disable those and the healing animations let me know.

Last edited:
chockomonkey said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Forceman

Yeah I especially loved the animations in this game. Really made it all feel so much more real and intense.

Other first person shooters could REALLY learn a lesson here!

I was referring to the hunting/stalking/skinning aspect of AC3...hide in the bushes, stalk them from the top of trees, use bait, snares, arrows, rope darts etc...also love that you only get full pelt if you use your blade...shooting them nets you a much smaller pelt

fighting animals is different but still fun even with the quick time events mainly because of the huge variety of animals in the game

Ah yes, okay... in that regard, yea it's pretty well fleshed out. Much less so in FC3.

Try hunting black panther in a middle of high grass and foliage with a bow, knowing that you had to put 4 or such arrows in her, to kill her, and the only chance to find her is positioning audio (if you play hard mode and not use hunting syringes)... and then she charges at you :)

Climb a rock and crouch. I have had no issue with hunting, I only use the bow. I got attacked twice in the game, both resulting in the fucking retarded quicktime counterattack bullshit.
I dont care for the hunting, but I can see how some might. Honestly most of the animals I kill was out of boredom of not having enemies to kill or being in a clean zone where badguys just forget exists.

Its fun how animals attack eachother and such, aswell as NPCs, but the NPCs cant fight animals for shit. Its one of my gripes that made me shelf the game until mods. Yesterday I was hitting camps and on two occasions as Im preparing to start picking guys off with my bow, an animal runs in, and in both camps the fucking dragon thing kills all the badguys. I was like "fuck!" I walk down, bam, camp cleared. Fuck off, now I dont get to even kill anyone.

The mission radius bullshit is fucking retarded. Im pretty sure Im on my PC, and not my console...being locked to a stones throw from an objective is stupid in an open world game.

Im frustrated. Last night after I rage quit FC3, I went and played the 1st camp attack in Crysis and fuck, its so much better. I need to stay out of this thread because I know this game hits all the right spots for lots of people. Myself, its just falling short everywhere. Zero physics really sucks...Im still really dissapointed in the inability to burn down stuff, or the lameness of the bow, fucking quicktime...

Argh

Last edited:
Climb a rock and crouch. I have had no issue with hunting, I only use the bow. I got attacked twice in the game, both resulting in the fucking retarded quicktime counterattack bullshit.

I don't mind the bite animations, but being forced to spam a button is just silly console-related nonsense. At least you actually fight wildlife normally, though.

I dont care for the hunting, but I can see how some might. Honestly most of the animals I kill was out of boredom of not having enemies to kill or being in a clean zone where badguys just forget exists.

Its fun how animals attack eachother and such, aswell as NPCs, but the NPCs cant fight animals for shit. Its one of my gripes that made me shelf the game until mods. Yesterday I was hitting camps and on two occasions as Im preparing to start picking guys off with my bow, an animal runs in, and in both camps the fucking dragon thing kills all the badguys. I was like "fuck!" I walk down, bam, camp cleared. Fuck off, now I dont get to even kill anyone.

The mission radius bullshit is fucking retarded. Im pretty sure Im on my PC, and not my console...being locked to a stones throw from an objective is stupid in an open world game.

Im frustrated. Last night after I rage quit FC3, I went and played the 1st camp attack in Crysis and fuck, its so much better. I need to stay out of this thread because I know this game hits all the right spots for lots of people. Myself, its just falling short everywhere. Zero physics really sucks...Im still really dissapointed in the inability to burn down stuff, or the lameness of the bow, fucking quicktime...

Argh

You just scared me with the mission radius point.

Argh
Your not alone man, your not alone. I think mods will be able to do some awesome stuff with FC3 and I eagerly wait to see if they do so I can get my moneys worth out of this title.

The topic of the thread is "Eurogamer gave FarCry 3 10/10" which means the discussion is about FarCry and what constitutes a perfect 10.

I was referencing the discussion shifting into chatter about the HardForum App for Android, not what came before that.

The mission radius thing is definitely bullshit, but not enough to prevent me from wanting to experience the other things that the game offers. I don't understand why you'd implement something like that in an open world game. Talk about breaking immersion and reminding you of the fact that you're playing a game...I mean if you want to start a mission, run to the other side of the map for whatever reason and then come back and finish the mission, you should be able to. I guess that's one thing FC2 and a whole slew of other games did better.

There was so much hype about this game earlier in the thread that I was thinking it'd be worth its Day 1 price but now that some of the complaints are rolling in and people have dissected its flaws, I'll be picking this up during a Steam sale. Hopefully it gets discounted during the Winter Sale but that'll be here very soon.

FC3 is far from being perfect, that's for sure. It's still one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had for a while. I love it.. Warts and all :D

It diesn't have the insta respawn bad men as soon as you get out of view does it? That totally ruined it for me in FC2.

With your WWII example have you tried Saboteur? It's third person yes, but open world freedom fighter in France. VERY good game all the way around, one of my favorites.

Open world R6 type game...ummm...ARMA2? About as open and realistic as they come honestly.

Haven't played Saboteur. Thinking more of FPS.

The ARMA series isn't quite what I was referring to with regards to R6. R6 was always a good variety of levels (CQB to jungle). Not so much open-world as it would be open-approach. Doesn't need the sandbox of ARMA. Plus, ARMA seems very icky last time I played it. The animations/motions/etc just seemed weird to me. OpFlashpoint seemed this way too.

I like the fluidity of the FarCry engine, the animations are smooth, movements seem good (sliding, covering, etc) and stream together well.

Btw, I think I found the frustratingly hard level you were talking about. I've quit on it once (*SPOILER* Where Vaus is running at you in the hallucination.). I don't mind hard (*SPOILER*TattooMonster*SPOILER*) as I'm not one of the COD-era hold-my-hand gamers, but this is just ridiculously to the point of no-fun.

Okay, you guys need to use actual spoiler tags...just saying "SPOILER" and then immediately posting the spoiler is not good enough.

It diesn't have the insta respawn bad men as soon as you get out of view does it? That totally ruined it for me in FC2.

na there is instant spawn of people right in front of you.

I was at a mission where you destroy some cars on a bridge, than after doing that it triggers waves of ppl to go after you.

I went to a part to hide from the wave, and it end up to be a spawn point that they keep respawning ppl over and over.

that was something that was a bit sucky in farcry 3.

The overall of the game however I played is quite fun.

I like the fact that the towers are designed differently and some are a bit more tricky to get to top.

No, it only got few insta respwn spots in the map where bad guys start patrolling.
There was one quest which I had insta respwns but I think that was a bug.

If anything, there aren't enough spawning enemies when the camps have been cleared. It essentially removes enemies from the entire area.

Man, this game isn't getting a midnight release? Ubisoft really needs to step it up, most big games have midnight releases now on steam (Even Hitman did) but it seems all Ubisoft titles don't get released until the release day at 1pm est.

If anything, there aren't enough spawning enemies when the camps have been cleared. It essentially removes enemies from the entire area.

Considering most camps only have 4-5 enemies, and lets face it, even if you run in guns blazing and ignore stealth, its easy even on hard to cut them down in seconds...Even if you allow them to call in the reinforcements(1 wave, after that they just forget about the camp), thats only 3-6 more guys who are also easily cut down....take the camp, wipes enemies from a huge area never to return....

Anyone else find the whole "spirit of the warrior" bullshit to be lamesauce?
I cringed when my character says "I need you to help me become more powerful to defeat vass".....like I need some magical powers or some shit...when on the other hand I seem to do just fine with a flamethrower and dubstep in a pot field.
And the magically growing tattoo...
I havent finished the game, but for those who have, do you get fruity majic powers and shit? because thats where it seems to be going.

Also, the bow is basically the only weapon you need.

You just scared me with the mission radius point.

Well there's this thing called Abort Mission on the main menu if you'd rather not be engaging the mission. Dude's complaining is much ado about nothing, its a non-issue.

I cringed when my character says "I need you to help me become more powerful to defeat vass".....like I need some magical powers or some shit...

lol yes.. That was cheese - factor 10 :D

Since I'm from NZ It's really weird hearing all the locals speaking in New Zealand Maori accents, and the pirates all speak with African accents.

The locals even say "Kia ora" which is Maori for "be well/healthy".

Well there's this thing called Abort Mission on the main menu if you'd rather not be engaging the mission. Dude's complaining is much ado about nothing, its a non-issue.

Its a total issue, near deal breaker.
Its got to do with restricting the player how to approach a situation.
If there is an assassination style mission, and Im locked into a 100m radius it restricts how I kill the mofo. Im forced to go in CQB, as opposed to dropping the guy from 400m with a sniper rifle, or swimming out to a buoy and attacking from the coast...no, if I step outside of that stupid yellow range, its mission failed, start over. Its absolutely retarded and anyone who feels otherwise plays too much call of duty.

I cringed when my character says "I need you to help me become more powerful to defeat vass".....like I need some magical powers or some shit...when on the other hand I seem to do just fine with a flamethrower and dubstep in a pot field.
And the magically growing tattoo...
I havent finished the game, but for those who have, do you get fruity majic powers and shit? because thats where it seems to be going.

Also, the bow is basically the only weapon you need.
SPOILER DONT READ MY POST IF YOUR NOT WELL INTO GAME
http://www.oranica.info/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/car-spoiler.gif

Ugg and how bout the whole Buck " I like to fuck" storyline...talk about awkward. Dude was constantly at every place you needed to start and finish a mission (wtf was the point of that) and then at the end he went on dat der phaggy time. It was so strange, forced and out of place. And people are raving about how great the story is its totally weak!!! I just got to the point where the bullet gets stopped by the ciggarette lighter, lmao can this game use anymore cheezy cliches???

And I cannot stand your characters voice...OMG he sounds like such a little bitch, in fact I cant stand any of the kids friends either, I want them all to die.

Its also annoying that the game is vulgar enough to have hookers constantly ask me if id like a blowjob, but not vulgar enough to let me blow somebodys head clean off with the magnum.

And yet we will still have posters going OMG OMG this game is so AMAZING cause it lets me waste my life by skinning robotic animals so i can make a bigger ingame wallet that can hold more cash. Totally GOTY Hexorzzz!

Last edited:
Ugg and how bout the whole Buck storyline...talk about awkward. Dude was constantly at every place you needed to start and finish a mission and then at the end he went on dat der phaggy time. It was so strange, forced and out of place. And people are raving about how great the story is its totally weak. I just got to the point where the bullet gets stopped by the ciggarette lighter, lmao can this game use anymore cheezy cliches???

I think its because it starts off intense and draws us in, then wipes its ass on us with a bunch of dumb crap, but keeps dangling that main story line.

I know they dont have top writters and all, but your character has his friends and family captured by ruthless pirates and we are supposed to give 2 shits about the struggles of the locals?
me-"OMG, I need to rescuer my brother"
NPC-"We need you to help us fight for our homeland"
me-"That sounds much more important, lets go"

I think its because it starts off intense and draws us in, then wipes its ass on us with a bunch of dumb crap, but keeps dangling that main story line.

I know they dont have top writters and all, but your character has his friends and family captured by ruthless pirates and we are supposed to give 2 shits about the struggles of the locals?
me-"OMG, I need to rescuer my brother"
NPC-"We need you to help us fight for our homeland"
me-"That sounds much more important, lets go"

Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Its doing the same thing over and over again.

FC3 is a game of repetition, FC3 makes you do shit over and over again.

Thus FC3 is ironically the definition of insanity

Wow, some of youg uys need to learn what the fuck spoiler tags are for, seriously. Guess it's time to ignore this thread from here on out until I play the game.

Fixed for you
Do you know what the definition of insanity is? Its doing the same thing over and over again.

All FPS & RPGs are games of repetition, All FPS & RPGs make you do shit over and over again.

Thus All FPS & RPGs are ironically the definition of insanity

Okay, you guys need to use actual spoiler tags...just saying "SPOILER" and then immediately posting the spoiler is not good enough.
Wow, some of youg uys need to learn what the fuck spoiler tags are for, seriously. Guess it's time to ignore this thread from here on out until I play the game.

Is there official tags for the forum? I will gladly use them. I use the **SPOILER**, hoping most people will look away from the post. But I'd prefer an automated approach (ie: UBB tags or whatever). I don't see any listed on the option bar.

test

Always thought they should make a background bar across the text (same color) so you have to mouse over to show them.

They should make this a little more obvious.

So it is there ..

Last edited:
Fixed for you

Umm dude obviously you didn't get the joke. The main enemy in the game constantly asks you what the definition of insanity is and then he tells you it is constantly repeating things day in and day out....I was being Ironic...and PLEASE don't call FC3 an RPG ever again. FC3 IS NOT an RPG....FC3 is a shooter with a couple of lame balls of yarn for the noobs to play with lol.

Back