Elite: Dangerous

get thee to the unofficial Elite Dangerous Pilot's Guide. There are maps to sample X52 joystick configs on page 32.

Very smooth launch so far. No reports of server outages or overwhelms, and Twitch is buzzing with almost 100 live ED streams.

Last edited:
What size is the download for the full game?
My game folder is 3.8GB.
The download is smaller as it is compressed.

The downloader has a speed meter, but I think that is more the decompression speed because it doesnt sync with the download.
I have never had it download everything in one go, it took hours sometimes to do updates during the beta, over 6 hrs for one of them.
The final updates took a few hrs too.
ymmv fyi

First time playing now, going through the tutorial and man, is it REALLY that hard for games these days to do a "proper" tutorial? It seems like every single game that is a bit complicated (IE strategy games/sims) never do a proper tutorial.

Going through each of them and getting to landing and phase jumping, they pop up with ithings to do and it never explains HOW you do them.

IE - landing, how do I request permission? Well it doesn't say jack diddly about that, just tells you to do it, so you have to go through options, press buttons and figure it out from that.

Then jumping, I still haven't figured that one out at all.

I get into the first phase shift (hyperspeed or whatever) and then it tells me to open the map (doesn't say how, have to look in options again for that, and rebind it to a normal key like "M" which most games have used for the past twenty years), I see the destination on the map, click it to select, plot route to it (I assume you have to do this).

Then I go back out, click J again like it says, and then once it's charged it flashes red and tells me to "align" with my destination. Ok so I turn my ship toward the destination point and ...have no idea what to do with this? I click j and restart it, and when it charges again (with my ship pointing directly at the destination) it still flashes red and tells me to "Align."

WTF am I doing wrong here?

First time playing now, going through the tutorial and man, is it REALLY that hard for games these days to do a "proper" tutorial? It seems like every single game that is a bit complicated (IE strategy games/sims) never do a proper tutorial.

Flight sims have been struggling with tutorials forever, and I agree the scripted tutorials in ED do suck out loud. What's really needed is a "driver's ed" course for Elite Dangerous. For me, driver's ed was a combination of YT videos, a few hours of Twitch streams, leafing through the pilot's guide, and flying the tutorials for a few days before I felt confident enough to fly online. And I would've paid good money to have a driver's ed teacher behind me while I was figuring it out.

But your reaction is not atypical for those new to Elite Dangerous.

These training vids are relatively new:
Elite: Dangerous Pilot Training

Last edited:
What I was hoping would be "Eve Online with first person combat" is far from it. I know, I need to put in more hours and maybe I'll like it. But as a first time player, it's not inviting AT ALL. Hell, Eve is known as having a very hard learning curve, but it even has full tutorials and gets you into the game before dumping you off to die horribly. After putting a couple hours in, I have ZERO want to play anymore. I really feel like re-installing Eve again after 3 years out of game.

If you thought this was going to be like EVE, then that's entirely on you, dude.

So far so good. I'm pushed past a couple of bugs (the pre-flight checklist wouldn't recognize any of my axis bindings), found my pre-order eagle, jumped into it and killed some random NPC bandit in an asteroid belt. 15k spacebucks!

I have no idea what I'm doing, lol.

I'm really liking it so far... I agree it could be improved in the area of accessibility though. I hate having to peruse forums to find user made guides to tell me how to do stuff or actually do anything meaningful in the game.

Still, I think this is the best open sandbox space game since Freelancer.

WTF am I doing wrong here?

Simple; you haven't followed the game closely since inception and didn't get sucked into paying mad money for "early access". Have you spend all that time, and all that money, you would have zero problems now.

That's bullshit^^

I only recently pre-ordered the game and, while some of the mechanics could be clearer, it's not that hard.

The problem is we're at a point now where we have multiple generations of gamer. Those who started in the early days and can "figure shit out" and younger guys who have been spoon fed everything as a result of only having played modern games and curl up into a ball and cry when anything isn't explicitly explained to them step-by-step.

Stick with it I say, have a play in the menus and use your head. Want to request docking? Well how in the fuck are you going to do that?

Obviously you need to communicate with the station, so perhaps the communication panel is the place to start, hmmm. No.

What about "Contacts"? Oh look, the station is listed. What happens if I select it? Oh yeah cool, I get an option to request docking. Oh, that wasn't so hard was it.

Jumping? Hmm, how the fuck does that work? Select a destination in the star-map? Cool. I can't fly there in normal flight mode, maybe I need to use my jump drive. Hang on I need to align, oh what's that natty little compass thing with the bright blue dot and what looks like a reticle. Hang on that dot is now only an outline. Oh the place is behind me, I need to turn around. Bingo there we go, throttle up...boom, jump to hyperspace mode.

It's really not that hard, just use your head and play around in the menus. This IS NOT an instant gratification game, there's no end-game as such. Be prepared to invest time to get the most out of it.

Also, just ask questions either here or on the Frontier forum, watch some YouTube vids, read some guides etc.

That's bullshit^^

I only recently pre-ordered the game and, while some of the mechanics could be clearer, it's not that hard.

The problem is we're at a point now where we have multiple generations of gamer. Those who started in the early days and can "figure shit out" and younger guys who have been spoon fed everything as a result of only having played modern games and curl up into a ball and cry when anything isn't explicitly explained to them step-by-step.

Stick with it I say, have a play in the menus and use your head. Want to request docking? Well how in the fuck are you going to do that?

Obviously you need to communicate with the station, so perhaps the communication panel is the place to start, hmmm. No.

What about "Contacts"? Oh look, the station is listed. What happens if I select it? Oh yeah cool, I get an option to request docking. Oh, that wasn't so hard was it.

Jumping? Hmm, how the fuck does that work? Select a destination in the star-map? Cool. I can't fly there in normal flight mode, maybe I need to use my jump drive. Hang on I need to align, oh what's that natty little compass thing with the bright blue dot and what looks like a reticle. Hang on that dot is now only an outline. Oh the place is behind me, I need to turn around. Bingo there we go, throttle up...boom, jump to hyperspace mode.

It's really not that hard, just use your head and play around in the menus. This IS NOT an instant gratification game, there's no end-game as such. Be prepared to invest time to get the most out of it.

Also, just ask questions either here or on the Frontier forum, watch some YouTube vids, read some guides etc.

If this game would have space combat flight and mechanics based on Independence War, people would get heart attacks because of "I move my ship and it doesn't turn on a dime, what I'm doing wrong? HALP, THIS SUXXX!!11111" ::)

The good days of requesting landing in Wing Commander, or docking with resupply shuttle in Tie Fighter :)

This game does suck you in. It's less about 'what do I do?' and more about "what do I want to do?"

Last night I played for hours, trying to hunt NPCs and running half the time. Funds got low, and I made some basic mistakes. I bought 2 gimbaled lasers to swap out my fixed turrets, got into combat, raised the weapons and my power went out. Including life support. Oops. So while something huge is chasing me around I have no shields and no air. I managed to lower the guns and jump out just in time.

After that repair bill I'm sitting in station and see an easy mission offer. Just deliver a couple slaves to another system...oh yeah, and this may be illegal. Sure, why not. The pay is good.

So I get to the station for delivery and get scanned. I freak out (I have no idea what the crime penalty is, but it can't be good!) and try to boost into the station and land. Except I missed and hit something sticking out of the entrance, bounce all over the place, take more damage. I manage to land in time and it's the wrong damn station. LOL. I went to a station owned by the faction the mission talked about, but missed that they gave me the destination in the mission text. All that drama and I was in the wrong place.

This game :p

You got a point, players like me played a lot wing commander and other like Privateer are probably going to understand quickly how to jump and dock while the new players and young players have no clue about these concept.

I say that if all internet user have learn to use google to find day after day solution and now they need to use youtube to find guide an tutorial about games they can't understand.

So is the online-only an issue in this game? I was looking at picking it up but when they announced there would be no offline SP I was put off. Does it still have SP, just online only or what?

You have three options, all three require connection to a server.

Open Play: You and everyone else online. IIRC, the instances are limited to 32 players
Group: friends and you in the same instance, preferred PVE environment.
Solo. just you and NPCs- but you're still affected by changes in the game world.

I still get some "rubberbanding" and delayed exits from FSD/Supercruise in Open Play.

A lot of people were under the impression that this was some kind of Space Based Dogfight game, which it isn't. Neither was the original, which I, and many others played the ever loving shit out of.

I'm sorry but you are wrong, that's just a straight up lie and I have a video to prove it:

8:45 - 10:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7DAtR5P44#t=524

So... the original was not a space based dogfight? Seriously?

Ian Bell posted the manual for the original:

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/manual.htm

I'm sorry but you are wrong, that's just a straight up lie and I have a video to prove it:

8:45 - 10:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7DAtR5P44#t=524

So... the original was not a space based dogfight? Seriously?

Ian Bell posted the manual for the original:

http://www.iancgbell.clara.net/elite/manual.htm

LMAO, dude seriously? Did you even watch the whole video? The bulk of it is about navigating space, making money and trading. Maybe the video plays different in your reality distortion field, but the video I see is 25 minutes of trading, flying and a few dogfights peppered in between.

Did you ever play the original? Were you even around when it was being played?

We get it, you don't like this new version. It is the same as the old one, but you just don't like it.

First impressions anyone?

As a raw score, compared to the rest of the current space genre, it's a 7/10 game that needs a couple of months of tweaking and months of additional content.

As an Elite game, it's a 6/10 game, basically an expensive disappointment.

The devs tweaked how many interdictions you experience ( potential pirate interceptions ), so the game went from too many to too few. I'm sure they will rebalance it back to something in between or they won't, in which case the carebears will take over the universe and everyone else will leave for Star Citizen / insert the next best space game.

There's a first impressions thread that I just posted in, on the official forum:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24401&page=102&p=1273618&viewfull=1#post1273618

This is the only review on Elite, on Metacritic I agree with it and the review is much kinder than I am, even though we end up with the same score:

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/12/elite-dangerous-review

LMAO, dude seriously? Did you even watch the whole video? The bulk of it is about navigating space, making money and trading. Maybe the video plays different in your reality distortion field, but the video I see is 25 minutes of trading, flying and a few dogfights peppered in between.

Did you ever play the original? Were you even around when it was being played?

We get it, you don't like this new version. It is the same as the old one, but you just don't like it.

17 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7DAtR5P44#t=1045

You are a liar, it's that simple. I've shown you are a liar but you can't handle it. Crying and shitting in your diapers isn't interesting me or anyone else on the forum.

Pretty certain that Agmoore isn't playing the game, but playing the metagame of commenting about the game.

"Elite - 30th Anniversary"

The guy talks about how the graphics were coded. 7 minutes in, he showcases the dogfights ( which don't exist, according to Schizrade, yeah he's in a lawful are too... ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6m4DwkYgGs

According to Schizrade the original game was trading punctuated by light fighting except that you needed 6,000 kills for Elite status ... yeah nice logic. This reminds me of arguing with my kid sister ( required half a brain cell ).

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Elite_Rankings

"Elite - 30th Anniversary"

The guy talks about how the graphics were coded. 7 minutes in, he showcases the dogfights ( which don't exist, according to Schizrade, yeah he's in a lawful are too... ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6m4DwkYgGs

According to Schizrade the original game was trading punctuated by light fighting except that you needed 6,000 kills for Elite status ... yeah nice logic. This reminds me of arguing with my kid sister ( required half a brain cell ).

http://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Elite_Rankings

lol, when did I say dogfights don't exist? You are off your hinges.

LIARS!!! YOU ARE ALL LIARS AND I WILL PROVE YOU LIARS!!! OMG!!! YOU HAVE HALF A BRAIN CELL AND YOU ARE A LIAR!!!!

You know what they say about people that need to insult others in a discussion to try and win favor right?

;)

17 minutes in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC7DAtR5P44#t=1045

You are a liar, it's that simple. I've shown you are a liar but you can't handle it. Crying and shitting in your diapers isn't interesting me or anyone else on the forum.

Actually your incessant trolling is what the thread has become about. I never said the game had no dogfighting, but that it wasn't the sole purpose of the game, and it still isn't.

The truth is simply that MrAgmoore is a very strong supporter of "the other" Space game, currently in development. He can't accept that some people play "other" space games like Elite, let alone play them both in the future and certainly can't accept that people pick Elite over the other.

Apart from that, he's a total nuthead.

That's bullshit^^

I grew up in the 80's/90's, the generation of renting a random video game from the rental store, getting no manual with it and having to "figure shit out" for yourself.

However even though I grew up with that it's not an "excuse" thees days to have lackluster tutorials and things that leave out the steps to do things the tutorial asks you to do as though you should automatically know that.

Take Dark Souls for instance, by all accounts one of the HARDEST games out there these days. You know what it does? Proper-fucking-tutorial, a new player can pick up Dark Souls, go through the little tutorial area at the start and pretty much have the mechanis and things easily explained.

Just because a game is hard is no excuse to say "figure it out for yourself" there's NOTHING beneficial about that and in fact it can end up costing them money. Like many RTS games that have came out in the recent years (Anno 2077 for instance , among many others) you can find countless forum posts about new players trying to play the game , getting frustrated, giving up, asking for refunds, etc.

A lot of us that grew up in the age of a"figuring it out" have jobs and other real life things that we don't much care for having to figure out every-little-thing and spend hours and hours of our time watching "youtube" videos of mundane things that could be quickly explained with a proper tutorial (which many games, even those in the 90's) did better then many newer games these days).

Just posted this to reddit, prob gonna get down voted to hell, but whatever:

I swore to myself I would never play EVE because I didn't want to play "spread-sheets online", last night I had two spread sheets open on one monitor, a route planner on another monitor while playing on my main and jamming to tunes in my Cobra...AND LOVING IT!

The most annoying aspect is the god damn slow download speeds!!
Throughout the beta it would take hours to download even the smallest update, nothing has changed in the final.
Most of the time my connection is sat idle.
This is with a 22Mbit connection that causes no trouble otherwise.

I'm sat here finally with time to play, and it says that the tutorial isnt installed, yet I installed it yesterday??
So its downloading and 1/2hr into it, it has got about 1/4 through.
ffs

edit
The first 2/3 took over 1.5hrs to dribble down occasionally with me reconnecting every few minutes in the vain hope it might improve.
The last 1/3 came down in almost a single contiguous block, averaging 1.9MB/s and took only a few minutes.
Now I remember why I hardly touched the beta, the game was never ready to play when I had time to play it!!

Last edited:
That's pretty strange. I've been playing since Premium Beta and the updates almost always come down fast enough to max out my 18MBit connection.

Take Dark Souls for instance, by all accounts one of the HARDEST games out there these days. You know what it does? Proper-fucking-tutorial, a new player can pick up Dark Souls, go through the little tutorial area at the start and pretty much have the mechanis and things easily explained.

Ehhhhhh....I wouldn't go that far. It has something but I wouldn't really call it a proper tutorial. Not to mention that about 10 minutes in it throws you into a boss fight and expects you to know to run away rather than get reamed repeatedly.

That's pretty strange. I've been playing since Premium Beta and the updates almost always come down fast enough to max out my 18MBit connection.

Wish I had the same fortune, its hardly done anything more in the last 1/2hr since my last post.

Ehhhhhh....I wouldn't go that far. It has something but I wouldn't really call it a proper tutorial. Not to mention that about 10 minutes in it throws you into a boss fight and expects you to know to run away rather than get reamed repeatedly.

lol there is a reason it's called prepare to die edition. Don't blame them because you didn't run :)

The most annoying aspect is the god damn slow download speeds!!
Throughout the beta it would take hours to download even the smallest update, nothing has changed in the final.
Most of the time my connection is sat idle.
This is with a 22Mbit connection that causes no trouble otherwise.

I'm sat here finally with time to play, and it says that the tutorial isnt installed, yet I installed it yesterday??
So its downloading and 1/2hr into it, it has got about 1/4 through.
ffs

edit
The first 2/3 took over 1.5hrs to dribble down occasionally with me reconnecting every few minutes in the vain hope it might improve.
The last 1/3 came down in almost a single contiguous block, averaging 1.9MB/s and took only a few minutes.
Now I remember why I hardly touched the beta, the game was never ready to play when I had time to play it!!

That sucks, I'm not having that problem, while I don't tap out my 150 mbps connection my updating is at a decent rate. It's usually only a couple minutes. When I downloaded the game I didn't know if was only ~3GB and I started downloading went and made some dinner and 15 minutes later the game was installed, so I don't know exactly how fast it downloads for me.

My download was incredibly slow as well, it took about 3 hours to complete. Maybe it's a west coast thing?

I'm in the UK.
Thanks for the input though, there may be a common network issue or perhaps we are assigned some gimped servers.

I was able to download the game in a couple of hours on my meager ~13mbps connection, but I'm guessing they've gotten a bit more load as news of ED's release spreads.

Love how MrAgmoore gives an actual numerical score, still without having played it... I'm NOT saying you can't learn if a game is awful or great by reading the interwebs, but yeah giving it a specific score is kind of assinine.

Whatevs though, I think this applies:

s1IlRAU.jpg

Back