Elite: Dangerous

As a raw score, compared to the rest of the current space genre, it's a 7/10 game that needs a couple of months of tweaking and months of additional content.

As an Elite game, it's a 6/10 game, basically an expensive disappointment.

The devs tweaked how many interdictions you experience ( potential pirate interceptions ), so the game went from too many to too few. I'm sure they will rebalance it back to something in between or they won't, in which case the carebears will take over the universe and everyone else will leave for Star Citizen / insert the next best space game.

There's a first impressions thread that I just posted in, on the official forum:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24401&page=102&p=1273618&viewfull=1#post1273618

This is the only review on Elite, on Metacritic I agree with it and the review is much kinder than I am, even though we end up with the same score:

http://www.incgamers.com/2014/12/elite-dangerous-review

Elite was always a "carebear game"... and that's how I wanted it to be - a great single player space game, where noone dictates me, how I should play it, and there will be no influence of other players. Luckily, I'll be enjoying it in solo mode, and not even thinking about coming online. Too bad only, that updates from the galaxy will reflect the actions of other players, and if they force a sector to war, I'll also get that war, even if I don't want this. It's a pity, they cancelled the proper offline mode. Luckily they promised, that if they close servers, game will work.

And yes, I love the term of "Carebear"... some of us just don't want to deal with "MP kiddies" and their lack of everything - from intelligence to proper language skills.

But also have more sales. I'll buy it either way, just pointing that out.

ED will never be on Steam, that's my gut feeling after several months with the Beta. Frontier would have to change a lot to make it work, and I think they'd sooner focus their efforts on creating content/DLC.

You can launch ED through Steam, and the shift-tab overlay, messages and screenshots work.

Why does anyone care if it's on Steam of via Frontier's own launcher?

Literally couldn't give a shit. People are getting hung about the most stupid shit.

Why does anyone care if it's on Steam of via Frontier's own launcher?

Literally couldn't give a shit. People are getting hung about the most stupid shit.

#firstworldproblems

But to be honest, Steam would give it more visibility as well as being on Steam Network, so updates would be pushed automatically, downloads would be a lot faster, and having a good steam overlay for friends is nice too.

In case you havent spotted, there is now a "Tutorials" link to a set of good starter training videos on the program launcher.

Take the point re visibility but anyone who's been near a gaming news site and even some mainstream outlets or has a general interest in gaming (PC gaming) will have heard about this or have a friend who has mentioned it.

Download speed is spurious, if YOUR connection is the problem then the other party's servers make no odds. (#livingthedreamon120mbps).

Download speed is spurious, if YOUR connection is the problem then the other party's servers make no odds. (#livingthedreamon120mbps).

Of course, no brainer.
But it doesnt explain why my otherwise perfect connection has trouble downloading from the Elite servers.

I can max my connection at any time of the day on any site capable of supplying the bandwidth.
If it was a general problem, I would be talking to my ISP or would have changed to another ISP.
My connection isnt the problem.

I was able to download the game in a couple of hours on my meager ~13mbps connection, but I'm guessing they've gotten a bit more load as news of ED's release spreads.

Love how MrAgmoore gives an actual numerical score, still without having played it... I'm NOT saying you can't learn if a game is awful or great by reading the interwebs, but yeah giving it a specific score is kind of assinine.

Whatevs though, I think this applies:

s1IlRAU.jpg

You have some serious reading comprehension problems. I've played the game for 30 hours now. I also just submitted a ticket with Frontier, for a refund. I just got off the phone with the credit card company.

Warning - do not hand in missions

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79473

Hey frontier - you broke the game

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=79452

Elite was always a "carebear game"... and that's how I wanted it to be - a great single player space game, where noone dictates me, how I should play it, and there will be no influence of other players. Luckily, I'll be enjoying it in solo mode, and not even thinking about coming online. Too bad only, that updates from the galaxy will reflect the actions of other players, and if they force a sector to war, I'll also get that war, even if I don't want this. It's a pity, they cancelled the proper offline mode. Luckily they promised, that if they close servers, game will work.

And yes, I love the term of "Carebear"... some of us just don't want to deal with "MP kiddies" and their lack of everything - from intelligence to proper language skills.

How many videos do I have to post to prove you wrong? 5, 10 , 20 ? People smearing themselves against the docking station because it rotated too fast?

Maybe the game was massively dumbed down for non-BBC microcomputers ( Spectrum / C64 etc. ). I don't know, I played the original.

That would explain why reviews are mixed.

Of course, no brainer.
But it doesnt explain why my otherwise perfect connection has trouble downloading from the Elite servers.

I can max my connection at any time of the day on any site capable of supplying the bandwidth.
If it was a general problem, I would be talking to my ISP or would have changed to another ISP.
My connection isnt the problem.

Don't even bother arguing, one thing I've learnt is it doesn't matter how much proof you have that every other service works fine and you have a problem with a specific game downloader it's always your fault according to the fans. It was the same way for me and star citizen, when it first lamuched it would nearly max my download, then they patched the downloader and it went at 50-200kb/s and stayed like that for months. Of course it was always my fault (and others having exact same issue) according to the fans until debs patched the downloader and suddenly it was fixed.

Hi.

Why is this not on Steam?

Bye.

Frontier is in the red, financially. Giving 1/3rd cut of the game to Steam is not an option on a $2 Mil development project.

If you filter Metacritic user reviews by date, it's better that the negative reviews stay on Metacritic, rather on that on Steam's front page.

The truth is simply that MrAgmoore is a very strong supporter of "the other" Space game, currently in development. He can't accept that some people play "other" space games like Elite, let alone play them both in the future and certainly can't accept that people pick Elite over the other.

Apart from that, he's a total nuthead.

LOL I'm an equal opportunity hater. They are just games dude. No need to go Dallas / Dynasty on me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsVZUJVVaIE

I don't have any extreme feelings about Elite: Dangerous game because it's just a "meh" game. You would know this if you bothered to read my first impressions on the Elite Dangerous forum:

Post # 1527

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=24401&page=102&p=1273618&viewfull=1#post1273618

I paid $40 for Star Citizen and $50 for Elite: Dangerous * shrugs *

I also paid $14 for Starpoint Gemini 2. I paid a couple bucks for Star Wolves 1 and Tachyon Fringe.

So what's your point? Oh wait, there is none, other than making shit up as you go along...

In case you havent spotted, there is now a "Tutorials" link to a set of good starter training videos on the program launcher.

Well, they shafted that pretty quick.
Not only does the page take ages to load, I only get a few seconds play before it buffers for over 30 seconds.
Now buffering for 55seconds for a few seconds video...
Now 86 seconds...
and again...

My advice is start the video playing, press pause, turn the sound off and go do something else for a few hours.
Hopefully in a few hours the video will have all downloaded.

edit 2
It doesnt buffer the video at all if you play from the start without pressing pause.
Its unwatchable directly.

Last edited:
You have some serious reading comprehension problems. I've played the game for 30 hours now. I also just submitted a ticket with Frontier, for a refund. I just got off the phone with the credit card company.

Play a game for 30 hours then demand a refund because it didn't live up to your (bizarre) expectations?

What a scumbag move.

I have a couple hundred hours in ED (backer/beta time) and asked for a refund. It was based on the solo play deletion Frontier decided on going with. They gave me back $50 of the $75 I paid them, and I was ok with this amount because my account was left in good standing, with all backer benefits should I choose to revisit ED in the future.

I like ED, its gorgeous and it fun to go out and explore and the control layout really makes it feel like you are flying a space ship, especially with a HOTAS and TrackIR. However, I bought in with the promise of a single player mode. What they ended up with is a solo mode where other players actions still change the game world you are playing in. I don't mind MMOs and usually play PvP servers, but I expect a single player/solo mode to be just that.

Depending on what changes they will end up making, I'll probably take another look in the future.

I'm glad they made that compromise for you. But you must've been playing solo all the while in Beta... was it disagreeable with you the whole time? (all sincere, no snark) When I was messing with Slopey's trading tool, I was amazed how the commodity value flux (player-influenced) was actually determining my route- and it actually made me explore more instead of sticking to regular trading circuits and patterns.

It's hard to imagine having that type of dynamic play in a strictly off-line mode.

I'm glad they made that compromise for you. But you must've been playing solo all the while in Beta... was it disagreeable with you the whole time? (all sincere, no snark) When I was messing with Slopey's trading tool, I was amazed how the commodity value flux (player-influenced) was actually determining my route- and it actually made me explore more instead of sticking to regular trading circuits and patterns.

It's hard to imagine having that type of dynamic play in a strictly off-line mode.

I played both solo and multi-player actually. The solo mode did not initially show much in the way of other player impact , that came as they added new features. I did not initially see much impact until, eh the start of Premium Beta 2 maybe? Then I started to see the player impacts, and I did not really care for them, however in the back of my mind I kept thinking "no biggy at lauch there will be an offline mode". I have no issues with the online mode being used to push changes to the galaxy and new content, but could give a shit if players flipped a system to independent or communist, or have artificially inflated the price of garbage on Beagle station.

In the state it was as late as Gamma, I did not really care for the multi-player mode either. I frankly think they need another six months to really iron out the kinks.

That being said, it is overall a good game, or at least has the potential to be one.

How many videos do I have to post to prove you wrong? 5, 10 , 20 ? People smearing themselves against the docking station because it rotated too fast?

Maybe the game was massively dumbed down for non-BBC microcomputers ( Spectrum / C64 etc. ). I don't know, I played the original.

That would explain why reviews are mixed.

We get it, you think it's average. We heard you the first time.

Now, why don't you leave the thread once and for all...because it's getting a bit boring now...*yawn* :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Take the point re visibility but anyone who's been near a gaming news site and even some mainstream outlets or has a general interest in gaming (PC gaming) will have heard about this or have a friend who has mentioned it.

If their servers aren't as good as Steam's, then it will be slower. This has been a complaint from people with decent internet.

Steam visibility will increase sales regardless of your implications to the contrary.

Worry about your own problems, I haven't need of your feedback on mine. I'd like to buy the game, is that not good enough for you?

Frontier is in the red, financially. Giving 1/3rd cut of the game to Steam is not an option on a $2 Mil development project.

If you filter Metacritic user reviews by date, it's better that the negative reviews stay on Metacritic, rather on that on Steam's front page.

Hi.

That doesn't make any sense. 30% of doubled (or more) sales is a good financial ROI.

Bye.

If their servers aren't as good as Steam's, then it will be slower. This has been a complaint from people with decent internet.

Steam visibility will increase sales regardless of your implications to the contrary.

Worry about your own problems, I haven't need of your feedback on mine. I'd like to buy the game, is that not good enough for you?

Did you read my response re the servers comment? It was aimed at someone who said their connection was poor.

If you want to buy the game get on with it. What's stopping you? Increased visibility isn't going to make a difference to you, you already know about the game!

What's with the attitude? Shit or get off the pot.

So I haven't really kept up with this game much, but a couple of things:

- It looks fantastic, but I can't bring myself to pay $60 for a game anymore.

- This really should have been released on Steam as well. Just my opinion.

- This really should have been released on Steam as well. Just my opinion.

I agree. Not taking anything away from them and their success so far but this would absolutely be huge for them and I hope something can be worked out.

I agree. Not taking anything away from them and their success so far but this would absolutely be huge for them and I hope something can be worked out.

dont really see the need for a steam release.

Got it last night. Was a long-time fan of the original and it gives me something to play with.
Did find that my old logitech wingman force joystick i didn't even know i still had works, so i at least have a joystick for it. :p
As for the game so far, it will take me a while to learn it well, but i think it will be fun once i do. If your not a fan of the genre, then you probably won't be too interested in it i think.
Just my .002

Does anyone have any tips on getting effective anti aliasing in this game? I tried the in-game options and manually applying AA using the nVidia panel, but I'm still getting an unsatisfactory amount of jaggies in the game.

I'm playing at 2560x1600 with a 690 so the rig's got the horsepower for it.

Does anyone have any tips on getting effective anti aliasing in this game? I tried the in-game options and manually applying AA using the nVidia panel, but I'm still getting an unsatisfactory amount of jaggies in the game.

I'm playing at 2560x1600 with a 690 so the rig's got the horsepower for it.

game scales great to 4k try down sampling from 4k
SMAA looks good to me though

If you want to buy the game get on with it. What's stopping you? Increased visibility isn't going to make a difference to you, you already know about the game!

What's with the attitude? Shit or get off the pot.

Waiting on my joystick to arrive, plus travel for work getting in the way.

Increased visibility and more sales for them make me happy, I'd like to see them succeed.

Is this worth buying if you only care to explore other worlds and galaxies in VR?

ive never been into space shooters or looting etc etc, but i am interested in exploring vast spaces ie. mass effect 1

The real reason people want it on Steam is so it can go on Steam sale :p

The real reason people want it on Steam is so it can go on Steam sale :p

There is a large contingent that wants that, but not all games that go onto Steam actually go on sale. The rest of us don't want to have to remember what game we own and where it is that we own it.

If you look at Planetside 2, it's on Steam but still uses Sony's servers for updates and such. Steam only downloads the launcher & updater itself. Depending on how it would be implemented for ED, the bandwidth argument may be a moot point anyway. I would still love to see it on Steam as well, and I couldn't care about it going on sale TBH. A good game will get purchased at full price if it's worth it.

Also, if they're self published, are they handling all physical boxed copies to be distributed through retail outlets?

Back