Elite: Dangerous

You can still play single-player, you just need to sync-up with their servers for various data about the galaxy. Not a huge deal IMO.

Why bother getting upset? You could buy the game and still play offline pretty soon after release.

You can still play single-player, you just need to sync-up with their servers for various data about the galaxy. Not a huge deal IMO.

Whether or not you can still play single-player isn't the issue. Its the fact they promised an Offline mode to KS backers, and waited until the last minute to pull it. "Bait and switch" is the common theme raging on their official forums.

I dont care one way or the other personally.

Lack of an offline mode doesn't really bother me either...however if they promised KS backers that they would have one, they shouldn't be telling them now that there won't be one. Bad tact. What they should have said is that there would be one much later and that they are focused on the multiplayer world/feature aspects first. Hell, if it becomes that successful, they can always add it in later.

Oh, and got my Worthog HOTAS setup. REALLY nice joystick/thruster controllers. Was a pretty penny, but the overall quality and the fidelity/response is simply awesome. Now if the commercial version of the Oculus RIFT would hurry up, I'll be all set. Currently using a single 30" panel... while I could add a couple more side panels for surround (tempting...), I'm holding out for what the Rift in its final form will deliver.

I was considering this game, but reading some recent articles have given me a bad vibe about this developer. Seems like a whole different outlook compared to Star Citizen crew.

The no offline mode in ED controversy is a tempest in a teapot. And it's driven by a very loud minority that either
a.) only wants a modern single-player only version of the 1984 Elite.
b.) doesn't have the internet connectivity for gaming (but they do have the connectivity to complain on a 6000+ post thread)
c.) wants nothing to do with MMO, PVP or PVE

I never believed a truly off-line only game was ever possible with ED. 400 Billion procedurally created living star systems (and all their NPCs) in an offline game engine seems a little difficult to pull off. And anyone in the current Beta can tell you that Online Solo doesn't require low-latency or high-bandwidth connections.

Maybe Frontier Dev should've never promised off-line in the Kickstarter. That's the only thing I'll fault them for. But offline-only means nothing to me. Even if FD folds and the servers close down three years from now, I know I got my money's worth.

Here's a pretty good summation:
Elite: Dangerous and playing Offline

Last edited:
Well... ED is off my shopping list now.

Just not into the PVP/MMO games... looks like Starpoint Gemini is going to be my space fix until Egosoft fix their screwup with Rebirth.

I never believed a truly off-line only game was ever possible with ED. 400 Billion procedurally created living star systems (and all their NPCs) in an offline game engine seems a little difficult to pull off.

Doesn't it being procedurally created imply that the number of objects that can be created without downloading any additional content is extremely high?

Doesn't it being procedurally created imply that the number of objects that can be created without downloading any additional content is extremely high?

Yea procedural generation makes it easy to do that much offline, you just have to have the procedural code run on the client instead of the server. This could cause longer loading times, and the game save file would grow as you explore more content.

Really all they need to do is offer full refunds to any KS backers that want it due to backing out of single player functionality and then it is no harm no foul.

I was considering this game, but reading some recent articles have given me a bad vibe about this developer. Seems like a whole different outlook compared to Star Citizen crew.

Well in fairness to ED though, the developer is actually going to put out a finished game. Don't get that same feeling with SC, where with all the ship buying its in their best interest to stretch it out for years and years, because it'll never be more profitable than it is now.

Last edited:
Well... ED is off my shopping list now.

Just not into the PVP/MMO games... looks like Starpoint Gemini is going to be my space fix until Egosoft fix their screwup with Rebirth.

You can still play it alone, you just have to be online. They're not forcing you into multiplayer.

You can still play it alone, you just have to be online. They're not forcing you into multiplayer.

That's true, but what's the chance that the sp will get as much attention as mp?

When SC was announced, I was beyond excited that the creator of the WC series (my favorite game series of all time!) was making a new game and followed it up until I found out it was Eve with cockpits and less spreadsheets.

ED was going to be my go-to-game instead of SC, but now that they seem to be taking the wannabe-SC route, I'm out. :(

Quick Question - If I buy ED after December 16th, do I get all of the future developed content or will I have to "buy" the future dlc that others that backed it would get for free?

The purchasing website makes no mention that buying now gets you any paid DLC for free.

The beta purchase page says this
https://store.zaonce.net/elite-dangerous-cat/elite-dangerous-standard-beta.html
IMPORTANT: The Beta edition does NOT include any expansion downloadable content. These can be purchased separately as they become available.

Both normal and beta purchase pages say
• Plus loads more digital goodies to be announced over the coming weeks.
Cant say what that means.
But maybe this wont be available as part of the purchase after Dec 16th?
If so, will it be available to buy?

Not clear tbh.

Only the first wave of KS backers (that donated a certain amount) got lifetime DLC for free.

ED Kickstarter Page said:
Will I have to pay for updates, or expansions, or new content?

Some new features and content will be paid for, especially those that build significantly on the game. If you have pledged to £90 tier or higher then any expansions or updates are free.
Last updated: Sat, Dec 15 2012 4:16 AM CST

The rest of us (in current Beta and pre-orders) have to pay for the DLC content modules as they come along.

Interesting sidebar (but old news) in the face of all this no-offline unhappiness:
Frontier Dev in partnership with Amazon for Kindle Fire game.

I hope this means there's a chance ED gets access to AWS.

Last edited:
One of the big issues with mandating online only is game longevity. You're dependent upon someone else. I can still fire up one of my old flight sims 10 years on. I can still play Freespace 2. I had to stop playing Command & Conquer 3 a year or so back because it required online verification and that stopped working.

Oh, and got my Worthog HOTAS setup. REALLY nice joystick/thruster controllers. Was a pretty penny, but the overall quality and the fidelity/response is simply awesome. Now if the commercial version of the Oculus RIFT would hurry up, I'll be all set. Currently using a single 30" panel... while I could add a couple more side panels for surround (tempting...), I'm holding out for what the Rift in its final form will deliver.

Yeah I'm also not-particularly-patiently waiting for a final rift or equivalent, and to be honest I'm not even that bothered about playing until there is one, I really don't care about being late to the party. These space combat games are just crying out for full-on headset action, and not just some half-hearted trackIR. But congrats on the warthog, that's also on my wishlist, but I can't really justify it until I'm really stuck into one or other of these space games.

SC's outlook is to produce a never ending hangar management sim in order to rake in as much cash as possible. ED's lack off full offline will be nothing compared with the butt-hurt when SC eventually releases as a pale shadow of what some people believe it will be (promised or otherwise). And I say that as a backer of both, although not one of those freaks who thinks spending upwards of a grand on pretend spaceships is some sort of "investment".

One of the big issues with mandating online only is game longevity. You're dependent upon someone else. I can still fire up one of my old flight sims 10 years on. I can still play Freespace 2. I had to stop playing Command & Conquer 3 a year or so back because it required online verification and that stopped working.

They answered this in a recent Q&A: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=60284&page=14&p=1024593&viewfull=1#post1024593

We have no intention of taking the servers down, but I understand what you are getting at. We plan to archive the game from time to time (ie matching client and servers and game world state), and would release such an archive if the servers were to come down. That would also address the issue of how you preserve an online game for the future, from the whole 'retro' perspective.

I took the poor mans option and bought the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS x and its an incredible piece of kit for £40, really solid and good quality.
You can either have 12 buttons and 2 extra sliders in PC mode (in addition to X/Y/Z axis) or 13 buttons and 1 extra slider using PS3 mode -which makes 2 sliders perform the same function.
There is a digital thumbstick on the main stick.

The action of the joystick is extremely good and the fit to my hand is perfect.
The stick can be adjusted for tension so it is easier/harder to push and when on easiest, the centre zone is still rock stable.
It is just heavy enough to be usable on my knee.
It blows away my XBox 360 controller for ease of flying and functions.

Bargain imo.

It wont be enough buttons when using Oculus Rift, and a keyboard will be tricky with the headset on.
So I have an old gaming keypad (Saitek Pro Game command unit) that is small enough to be intuitive by touch so I wont need to take the Rift off to use.
Its left handed with a thumbstick and 21 buttons and has 3 modes to quickly remap the keys.
Its small enough to be placed anywhere convenient when I can take my hand of the Thrustmasters throttle..
This could work out really well !

If anyone can think of issues I might have with this setup, I'm all ears.
Cheers ears :)

Last edited:

Just keep an eye out for faulty pots (potentiometers). Mine began to develop a deadzone in the rudder after only using it for a few months that just got worse. Can be easy enough to replace, assuming you can actually figure out the correct type to use. I tried asking around on SimHQ forums if I remember correctly, and instead had people telling me to retrofit it with Hall sensors instead because the pots will always wear out in the end. Wasn't looking for some big DIY project to save a $35 product, I just wanted a simple repair. In the end, I gave it to my brother in law who had gifted it to me in the first place and said he could have it if he wanted to attempt to fix it.

I've still got my X-45, but it needs cleaned up. It's over 10 years old by now I think, and there's some nasty coating on the black plastic that got all gunky after sitting in storage. Someone said it's probably some sort of softener that's meant to add texture to the otherwise smooth plastic. Tried to wash it off with soap and water and it just made it worse. I think it needs some rubbing alcohol. Also need to clean up the internals a bit I think, because it's a little noisy and doesn't have a good smooth motion.

I took the poor mans option and bought the Thrustmaster T.Flight HOTAS x and its an incredible piece of kit for £40, really solid and good quality.
You can either have 12 buttons and 2 extra sliders in PC mode (in addition to X/Y/Z axis) or 13 buttons and 1 extra slider using PS3 mode -which makes 2 sliders perform the same function.
There is a digital thumbstick on the main stick.

The action of the joystick is extremely good and the fit to my hand is perfect.
The stick can be adjusted for tension so it is easier/harder to push and when on easiest, the centre zone is still rock stable.
It is just heavy enough to be usable on my knee.
It blows away my XBox 360 controller for ease of flying and functions.

Bargain imo.

It wont be enough buttons when using Oculus Rift, and a keyboard will be tricky with the headset on.
So I have an old gaming keypad (Saitek Pro Game command unit) that is small enough to be intuitive by touch so I wont need to take the Rift off to use.
Its left handed with a thumbstick and 21 buttons and has 3 modes to quickly remap the keys.
Its small enough to be placed anywhere convenient when I can take my hand of the Thrustmasters throttle..
This could work out really well !

Cheers ears :)

get voice attack its 8 bucks and solves your button issue
also check ebay for the Saitek X45 and X52 you can find the older X45 of 60 bucks or so and the X52 under 100

I've still got my X-45, but it needs cleaned up. It's over 10 years old by now I think, and there's some nasty coating on the black plastic that got all gunky after sitting in storage. Someone said it's probably some sort of softener that's meant to add texture to the otherwise smooth plastic. Tried to wash it off with soap and water and it just made it worse. I think it needs some rubbing alcohol. Also need to clean up the internals a bit I think, because it's a little noisy and doesn't have a good smooth motion.
im flying with my X36 its even older 1998 vintage
pots are a bit dried out but if you oil them up they work great

There are few things that bother me with that "always connected" single player mode. I hate the idea of having galaxy state updated from the actions of others. I want to explore things on my own, and not having to race all those school/college "Commanders Haxxorz" who do nothing in their life but play games, to unknown systems

Also, when I find a lucrative route, I'd hate seeing it going down because 200 others are running it in their games so prices fluctuate. Or seeing war between factions caused by actions of others.

That's not how I want to play my single player space game, so I guess it's one customer less for Mr Braden. And I'm still waiting for some nice and fun SP space sim

There are few things that bother me with that "always connected" single player mode. I hate the idea of having galaxy state updated from the actions of others. I want to explore things on my own, and not having to race all those school/college "Commanders Haxxorz" who do nothing in their life but play games, to unknown systems

Also, when I find a lucrative route, I'd hate seeing it going down because 200 others are running it in their games so prices fluctuate. Or seeing war between factions caused by actions of others.

That's not how I want to play my single player space game, so I guess it's one customer less for Mr Braden. And I'm still waiting for some nice and fun SP space sim

200 billion
let that number sink in

also its no single player its solo
its just a private group

Can anyone give me some advice on my Viper taking on a experienced NPC in an Eagle. NPC gets in close and just won't get away and we are just stuck in what feels like a 20 minute turning fight which the Eagle has the upper hand in and when I try and pull out to gain some distance to try and use superior speed/fire power I get lit up from behind because of it hugging me and going straight for my tail. Had a Cobra try the same thing, but luckily we were among debris so I had something to move around. I hate the Viper.

Finally took the plunge and bought myself a copy before Gamma was released - I am having fun with it!

Yes, I am also a [Redacted] backer, but I definitely appreciate an 'older school' take on space games.

Can anyone give me some advice on my Viper taking on a experienced NPC in an Eagle. NPC gets in close and just won't get away and we are just stuck in what feels like a 20 minute turning fight which the Eagle has the upper hand in and when I try and pull out to gain some distance to try and use superior speed/fire power I get lit up from behind because of it hugging me and going straight for my tail. Had a Cobra try the same thing, but luckily we were among debris so I had something to move around. I hate the Viper.

I have had luck doing a combination of slowing down to increase my turn radius when caught in a 'tail chasing' stalemate and making sure that if the enemy pulls away to realign, I push all power to engines to catch up to prevent them from turning on me to get a good shot.

Granted I have yet to get the game, let alone play, but can you not flip your craft so you're effectively flying backwards but facing him, then give him a dose of your guns? Cut main engines, engage thrusters, full guns, job done.

Flipping your craft you remain on one vector, looks good in movies, but in real life makes you to predictable (even for NPC) and they light you up. You need to be changing your vector constantly, like straving down while jousting NPC makes it harder for them to hit you or using FA off to change your vector constantly. If you flip your vector stays too long in a predictable path and people in both SC and ED have learned the hard way its an easy way to die and get kills.

The Single Player Combat Training Demo contains seven different scenarios for new Pilots to play now and hone their combat and flying skills before the release of the full game on December 16th.

If you have pre-orderd the game, to get the Single Player Combat Training Demo login to your account on the store, where there is a download link.

Learn the following;

- How to use the scanner
- How to target ships
- How to divert power around systems in your ship
- Basic flight maneuvers including turn rates

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBc...-303340473&ct=t(Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_51)

Store is dead.
says:
"Work in progress, back soon.

We are updating the Elite: Dangerous Store. Thanks for your patience, we'll be back soon"

Those that have the beta already have access to the 7 training levels, there isnt a new trainer.

'Black Friday' Paint Job Offer

You can get these free paintjobs until Monday December 1st:

Viper gold:

https://store.elitedangerous.com/ga...-303340473&ct=t(Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_51)

Cobra Nest Paint Pack:

https://store.elitedangerous.com/ga...-303340473&ct=t(Elite_Dangerous_Newsletter_51)

The store is probably flooded with people trying to get free stuff. Keep reloading.

Finally got into the store and these paint jobs "as linked" are £5 each, reduced from £10.
Not free.

Although there is a Cobra paint pack for free if you use their link, nabbed that.

Forgot to say, thanks for the headsup :)

Last edited:
Yeah that's weird. I got the Gold one for free but now it's listed as $5. It's just a cut and paste from the newsletter. The other paints are 50% off.

Store is dead.
says:
"Work in progress, back soon.

We are updating the Elite: Dangerous Store. Thanks for your patience, we'll be back soon"

Those that have the beta already have access to the 7 training levels, there isnt a new trainer.

Ya, there was something going on where they were giving out free skins Friday morning. I missed it of course.

Interesting impression article about elite dangerous with an oculus rift

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/...dangerous-amazing-and-impossible-to-describe/

sounds magical, and a very interesting link was in that article, a sort of oculus rift visual simulation with sets of different resolutions and low persistence vs none.

http://vr.mkeblx.net/oculus-sim/

The guy in the article mentioned that the pixels stand out more with the actual oculus rift, but the key there is that we really need to get to 4k and beyond for the pixels to take more of a back seat. The sharpness of the sky between 1440p and 4k is immense.

For this reason above all others, we have to get the cost of 4k gaming down asap. You have to drop almost a thousand dollars in gpus to make a semi decent go of it right now. That needs to be halved.

I don't have an OR, but I'm constantly amused by the tear-stained YouTube videos of gamers playing ED using the Rift. And instead of quoting The Matrix:

Jodie Foster in Contact said:
"No - no words. No words to describe it. Poetry! They should've sent a poet. So beautiful. So beautiful... I had no idea."

I actually killed myself the first time I tried fuel scooping a star, because I was mesmerized by the solar prominences. And that's just on a 2D screen. I can't begin to imagine what the OR ED users are seeing, I'd like to see how Elite's black holes would appear in the Rift.

And it's interesting to me that the Rift is *coaxing* ED players down a specific peripheral path. Once you've managed the GPU power, you pretty much have to invest in a HOTAS. (haven't seen any OR ED players flying via mouse/kybd) And once you've filled your HOTAS buttons with commands, you buy into VoiceAttack to cover the remaining functions and commands. You can fly the ship, and interact with both galaxy and system maps, without needing to touch the keyboard or mouse once.

FML.

I just bought a £325 Thrustmaster HOTAS for this game.

Really looking forward to it now and have high hopes for it evolving soon after launch with add-ons etc.

FML.

I just bought a £325 Thrustmaster HOTAS for this game.

Really looking forward to it now and have high hopes for it evolving soon after launch with add-ons etc.

Back