DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

Another problem with mine is my cats. I'm coming from a 22" CRT (NEC FP1350x) that my girl cat would snooze on top of for the heat. Now when she jumps up she sails over and ends up trapped behind it by my desk hutch, confused and angry at me.

God damnit. There is still a panel lottery then. Amazon ships from the same wharehouse and I get stuck with a non-polarized version... :(

Bah, think I should just ask for an exchange?

I also have ordered from Amazon within the last 2 weeks, and the shipment came from Harrisburg. I do believe mine is the non-polarized version, since I can see the white glow from an angle.

Anyone tried putting one of these on a Neo-Flex LCD stand? I know the DS-263N exceeds the recommended weight for that stand but I'm hoping it might work.

Anyone tried putting one of these on a Neo-Flex LCD stand? I know the DS-263N exceeds the recommended weight for that stand but I'm hoping it might work.

I have that arm right now with a 24" and im going to try it out with the DS on monday probably. I think it supports 18 pounds max, and maybe the DS is less than that after you remove its stand.

I have that arm right now with a 24" and im going to try it out with the DS on monday probably. I think it supports 18 pounds max, and maybe the DS is less than that after you remove its stand.

Please let us know how it works out. I'm going to be very interested in switching the stand if I get the DS-263N.

If you ordered from Amazon please do NOT tell them that yours did not come with a polarize and you want to return it, bla bla... tell them something else. We don't want Amazon to change their policies due to a flood of us doing so. Since the polarizer isn't marketed as coming with the monitor they will likely have a problem with returns on the "defect".

Speaking of returning to Amazon, do they not have an advanced RMA process, where you can order your monitor replacements first and get them before having to return the ones that are defective?

Wow, are there any LCDs that one can purchase without having to be unsure of some kind of nonsensical lottery or old revisions? I hate LCDs!

If you read the forums instead of jumping to questions you'd know :p. It's all in here, just scroll back a few pages and do the research.

I've read much of this thread but to suggest that I read 50 pages of replies to find out the answer to a question someone can likely answer in 2 sentences is stupid advice. It's not like this is a three page thread and I'm being lazy. I've read the first 15 pages, but I don't think it's too unreasonable for me to ask what a polarizer is a second time rather than read 1000+ replies.

Speaking of returning to Amazon, do they not have an advanced RMA process, where you can order your monitor replacements first and get them before having to return the ones that are defective?

No, they don't. Since they don't deal primarily in monitors or computer hardware, they don't have anything like that.

a page or two back it was mentioned that an email from Doublesight acknowledged the lack of supply and indicated that "supply should catch up with demand" around June 9. The same day, Newegg changed their prices on the model and changed the 'ETA' date to June 10. A good sign in my book that they'll be rolling out soon.

Currently it is Newegg as they will guarantee the polarization.

I think the return policy is more important than the polarizer lottery. Which would you rather have, a polarizer and 5 dead pixels in the middle of the screen, or a panel with no dead pixels but no polarizer?

I'm queued for one at buy.com.

I think the return policy is more important than the polarizer lottery. Which would you rather have, a polarizer and 5 dead pixels in the middle of the screen, or a panel with no dead pixels but no polarizer?

I'm queued for one at buy.com.

Exactly, I agree. That is why I am glad I got lucky with the Amazon policy, which seems good too. Besides, even if you do not get the polarizer, it isn't that big of a deal... I've seen those screens and compared them with my current monitors in the dark. In the dark mine are far worse on any white or backlight bleeding issues, and I hardly notice unless I'm in the dark, on a black background...

I've read much of this thread but to suggest that I read 50 pages of replies to find out the answer to a question someone can likely answer in 2 sentences is stupid advice. It's not like this is a three page thread and I'm being lazy. I've read the first 15 pages, but I don't think it's too unreasonable for me to ask what a polarizer is a second time rather than read 1000+ replies.

thats always been a problem with the bb threads. i think they need to have rating systems for each post and the ones that have the real info in them will be tagged by hundreds of members. that way you can just zip to the tagged posts to see what juice is inside the pulp.

I know this thing is supposed to have low input lag and low response time. But can it compare to TN panels such as the G2400W or V2400W? I'm just curious if I'll see any decrease in response going from TN to this. Thanks.

Please let us know how it works out. I'm going to be very interested in switching the stand if I get the DS-263N.

Neo-flex arm is a bit too weak for this monitor. I am using it currently but needed some supplemental support (a stack of post it notes right now :) )

its a bit too heavy, and since you have to mount the 100x100mm square off center, it tends to tilt sideways..

I would have stuck with the stock stand if it sat lower to the desk. It's a bit too tall for me using my current desk.

Anyway I got mine today from amazon (shipped from Harrisburg PA), and I'm 90% sure it has a polarizer. Definite red tinge visible across the screen when viewing a black screen from the right side. (Though I am having trouble seeing a green from the other side). I am not seeing any white glow. Anyway, if it doesn't have a polarizer I don't care, because the blacks look great. I thought there would be some trade-offs with any LCD but this one doesn't seem to have any real weaknesses.

There is some subtle backlight bleeding on the top right (maybe a 10 square inch area), but I haven't noticed it when viewing content, just with a black background. I cannot find a single bad pixel -- but honestly these don't bother me much. I had one on my old monitor and rarely ever noticed it.

My old samsung 244t had amazing image quality I thought, but off-angle viewing on this one is even better, and blacks are a lot "blacker." on the samsung viewing a dark night picture (a wallpaper I have of tokyo at night, for instance) would show a shimmery greyish "lcd black." this monitor gets a lot closer to a real black. Also the input lag is absent!! going back to a crt-like response is wonderful after being stuck with a laggy input panel. Even the mouse cursor in windows is so much more responsive. CS is fun again!!

I could not be happier!

I was intially about to purchase the 2408wfp since cnet put it on a mantle. How does the black on this compare to the 2408wfp? The dell has a better contrast ratio. I ask because I watch a lot of movies and I don't want to be dissapointed with a monitor I dropped 7 large on. Thanks.

I seriously wouldn't worry about any lag issues on this monitor at all. If you are going to be that picky, then stick with CRTs or something :p. The lag is not an issue, input lag or otherwise.

The only things at this time you should have any concern for at all are:

1) Getting a non-polarized unit (not a big deal really).

2) Stuck/dead pixels (buy from a good place and exchanges aren't a problem).

3) Lacking inputs and features you want it to do (and lack of research on your part if this were the case is of course your fault :p).

That's it!

page 12

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1032286971&highlight=polarizer#post1032286971

Its easy to miss, but I found it in less than 2 minutes by searching 'polarizer' and going to the oldest results.

I read that page, but nowhere does it say what a polarizer is. It's just a lot of talk about whether it does or does not have a polarizer. I'm assuming it has something to do with the glow?

Currently it is Newegg as they will guarantee the polarization.

Especially since Amazon raised their price. I'm thinking about just giving up on this being in stock and getting that 2707 from Dell. I've been using a 15" LCD ever since my old monitor died last week and it is driving me crazy.

I read that page, but nowhere does it say what a polarizer is. It's just a lot of talk about whether it does or does not have a polarizer. I'm assuming it has something to do with the glow?

To say it simply: a polarizer is a set of filters that alters light directions.

All LCD screens have at least two. A front and a rear polarizer. What they speak of in this thread, is the a-tw (advanced true wide) polarizer. It minimizes the glow so that viewing angle doesn't affect black in such degree as without the a-tw polarizer. Gives a higher optical black. :)

I got mine from Newegg(via Cali) on Friday. Not really qualified to say if it has the polarizer - the screen changes to a dark reddish tint when viewed from extreme horizontal angles on a black background.(standing to the right and looking at the screen) - but I don't think I saw any green.

You can also see a swath of what I'm guessing is BLB in the upper right hand corner from an angle in a semi-dark room. But this could be the white glow - not sure. And when viewing a gray solid background, you can look closely and see faint streaking/rippling type movement(brightness at 15). I have an old Samsung 712N LCD that does this also, but it's VGA only and I always assumed it was the video card it uses VGA out being crappy. It's sitting next to and plugged into the same outlet as a 215TW that has no issues.

I also can't get the DS 263N to run at native resolution. It goes to 1920x1080, but not 1920x 1200 with a Geforce FX 5700 via DVI-D with the most current nvidia drivers(using XP pro). From what I have read in nvidas docs(but have read otherwise elsewhere, so really I'm just confused), it should be able to handle that resolution fine. I have not tried to manually set it to 1200 with the nvidia control panel...yet

Icons and text look very slighty horizontally compressed at 1080 so it was driving me nuts. There's no way to adjust that when using DVI right, besides changing rez? The DoubleSight is sitting on my desk at work so can't check it out more now that I want to. Late next week when I go back in I'm going to bring a newer video card that I know has no issues. I've never really had problems before with a display not bumping right to native rez(never had one this big though) so I'm pretty dumb when it comes to troubleshooting it. I'm hoping that this other card will set it straight.

Here is pretty much what the faint streaking looks like, just not as extreme as that example, you have to look for it if the screen isn't gray, and it kind of pulses upwards. I'm not sure if this is just a normal characteristic for all LCDs or not.

http://www.4physics.com/tn1/255pa.jpg

I just had a thought that DS could possibly be buying up seconds that higher priced companies reject for their panels. That would explain the apparently different panel types and strange markings I've read about a lot in this thread. Or is that just silly? It's really late and my eyes are sealing shut :eek:

I got mine from Amazon today. I had the native resoultion problem as well with my nvidia 8800 GTX. I run dual screen (2nd monitor is the Viewsonic VX2025). I was able to set the custom resolution in the nvidia control panel and make the DS-263N work in the native resolution of 1920x1200.

I tried toasty's setting but left the green offset alone since when I turned it to 25% the screen looked pinkish. Also I couldn't load separate color profiles for each monitor so I left out the color profile that toasty provided.

Mine has one stuck pixel (green) near the lower left corner at about 4 inches from the left and 4 inches from the bottom.

I used the profile both in the default Windows "properties" area and with the colorizer powertool, and nothing changed. Is this par for the course? Are the modifications so minute that someone who works with colors often would not see the difference? What am I missing here?

THIS ONE HAS THE A-TW POLARIZER! Instead of a strong white glow, there's a more subtle red or green glow, depending on the angle. That's what the NEC monitors do.

I'll take pictures against a 23" Apple Cinema Display later when it gets darker. The Apple has the white glow.

Here's the glow comparison:
ds-apple-angle.jpg

The new DoubleSight is on the left, and the 23" Apple is on the right.

Now that it's darker, I'm starting to see more of the backlight bleeding:
ds-apple-backlight.jpg

Normally I'd try to get a replacement for this, but I don't want to lose the polarizer. I'd rather have this than the white glow. It's not noticeable except when showing something dark. I'll see if it improves.

fwiw

for science:

http://www.google.com/search?q=Polarizer&btnI=I'm Feeling Lucky

Can anyone help me out? Every time I switch sources with my DS-263N or my computer resumes from sleep/power-save, my monitor will NOT turn back on with the DVI input. This is very, very frustrating. Has anyone else had this issue? What can be done?

I have this same problem when the monitor is connected to the motherboard on-board DVI port (Intel G33 chipset). When the monitor is put into sleep mode it keeps scanning the inputs and even when the input is restored, the monitor usually can't detect it. It works ok with the D-Sub port. I didn't wan't to use an analog connection, so I bought a cheap graphics card and the monitor works fine when connected to its DVI port.

Uhmm, does this monitor scale properly for Xbox 360 and PS3 games that are at 16:9? It should, according to the manual online, but I just want to make sure, because I got a monitor that would scale properly for PC but not for Xbox 360 or PS3.

Uhmm, does this monitor scale properly for Xbox 360 and PS3 games that are at 16:9? It should, according to the manual online, but I just want to make sure, because I got a monitor that would scale properly for PC but not for Xbox 360 or PS3.

Advice for all, don't trust the manual! I know, it sounds stupid but its sadly good advice. Doublesight essentially copied most of the information from Planar's manual, and some of those features were copied over in the manual but not included in the DoubleSight version of the panel.

Another question I had for all of you with the monitor, especially those that have used 24" screens as well. How is the detail and sharpness of everything? I know that when I had my 20" next to my 24", the 24" was much finer in detail, icons weren't quite as large, etc. How is the DoubleSight 26" in comparison?

Is there a place to find out reliable information on the "standard timing table" for the DS?

I am hacking away trying to figure out why this is not working with my STB, and before I go flashing my EDID and breaking it, it would be good to know I have reliable source info.

Amazon.com is taking orders for $760. It is not in stock, however.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since Newegg states the doublesight has a polarizer, can you return it without penalty if it doesn't have one? People have claimed some of the newegg stock doesn't have the polarizer. Not sure whether to buy from the egg or amazon due to the egg's return policy. Thanks.

Amazon has a far better return policy for LCD displays than Newegg. They would take it back within thirty (30) days of delivery for any reason.

Back