DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

Is the Doublesight IPS quality without the polarizer comparable to the 23" Apple monitor or the 24" iMac monitors?

I've had the same thing. It was quite annoying but if you go to their website there should be a driver of some sort and if you download it the problem goes away. It can be quite frustrating - i know!

Whenever I turn this monitor off at night, it enters some kind of sleep mode or something, and when I power it back on, it cycles through the available inputs, then cuts off, as if it can't find a source. I know my computer isn't going into sleep mode since I have the power settings set to always stay on. But right now, the only way to get this monitor back on if I cut it off, is to reboot my computer.

Am I doing something wrong?

Woops!

I've had the same thing. It was quite annoying but if you go to their website there should be a driver of some sort and if you download it the problem goes away. It can be quite frustrating - i know!

Anyone notice this monitor is now at Amazon for only $430? Given the only difference between this old model and the new 265W is the stand, I'm pretty inclined to save the $300+ and get this.

Unless there is some other reason to wait for the new model coming out next month?

Eh, it's actually sold by DiscountElectronics. This same site sells unlocked iPhones, wtf. I'd be very wary of a store like this.

Yeah I just noticed. It seems to me this company is a little too shady for me to give them my CC info.

*Sigh* Oh well...

Yeah I just noticed. It seems to me this company is a little too shady for me to give them my CC info.

*Sigh* Oh well...

Amazon processes your credit card, so it's not possible for that company to steal your cc info, ymmv on the quality of the product though.

Anyone notice this monitor is now at Amazon for only $430? Given the only difference between this old model and the new 265W is the stand, I'm pretty inclined to save the $300+ and get this.

Unless there is some other reason to wait for the new model coming out next month?

I don't see this monitor at all on amazon. Can you please post a link?

by the way, does anyone play Counter-Strike:Source on this monitor. I wonder if it can cut it, I'm still using crt.

This thread is soooooo long!

Is anyone still reporting issues with backlight bleed? I have a little in the top right corner as most people report. But I also have a little in the top left corner... and about three times as much in the lower right corner.

If I push in lightly on the top left or right corners of the screen itself, I feel it go in very slightly and hear a little popping/clicking sound as if the screen is loose in those corners, but the bottom left and right corners dont budge and have no clicking.

Secondly, whats the current experience on using this monitor with Windows Vista 64-bit? Some people mentioned multiple monitor problems earlier in the thread. I am planning upgrading to Vista 64bit and using two monitors.

I bet that DS probably has really bad back light bleeding or some other little detail the seller left out.

My DS had a little bleeding in the center/top, only like a size of a dime, but I feel it's due to pressure of the frame.

Anyway, my DS-263N today randomly just died. All of a sudden after going to bed, when I tried in the morning, the monitor would not respond. At first I thought it was my computer, unable to come out of powersave monitor mode, or something, so I restarted. Nothing. Reset BIOS, tried again. Nothing. Tried my computer on another monitor - worked.

So I tried on the other DVI-I port, which had my PS3, than my DVI-D which had my computer so far. Still nothing. Tried a different cable, a new 10 ft monoprice dual link DVI-I cable. Tried both DVIs, nothing.

I assume something surged last night (even thought all my electronics were fine, even have high quality surge protectors) and something went awry with my DVI ports. My PS3 worked briefly, only to try again after removing it from the DVI-I that only when plugged in again that the screen was black (but at least it recognized it, unlike my computer which it acted like nothing was plugged in/in powersave).

So DS said they'd either fix my monitor or send me a new one. I confirmed with the person over the phone that I would/could get a new/my fixed DS-263N, which I commented that it is probably the best monitor ever made, unlike their newer revision DS-265, which is utter crap (which I hoped could be passed along to someone here in the states).

Anyway, TL;dr my DS-263N broked, spent $50 to ship it to DS, and hopefully I get a fixed DS-263 back or a new one that is just as good :( I had no dead/bad pixels either too, ugh. I only have had it for about 4 months so far, nothing

veritas7,

When you get your replacement DS263n... make sure that you examine the casing (especially the top) and check to see that the LCD panel has been assembled firmly (get a piece of paper and very gently press against the LCD itself all along the inside of the bezel. DS has a limited supply of warranty replacement monitors, so make sure your "new" replacement is solid.

I am thinking about selling my DS-263N. It's approximately 8-10 months old (can't remember the exact date) and is in pristine condition, not a single scratch on it.

It has the polarizer and does not have any backlight bleeding. It's pretty much the best you could hope for in a DS-263N. I originally purchased three of these monitors and sold two of them to HF members (moved to Apple hardware and did not need them anymore). I am now considering replacing my last DS-263N with the new Apple LED display since it will match my Macbook Pro better (unibody).

PM if anyone's interested. I will only do a local sale (CT/NY/NJ) and can personally deliver the monitor for you and make sure it's perfect.

how much did you sell your monitor for. I also want to get the new Apple LED screen so thinking of selling my doublesight ds-263n. It is in mint condition with polarizer and no dead pixels

My DS had a little bleeding in the center/top, only like a size of a dime, but I feel it's due to pressure of the frame.

Anyway, my DS-263N today randomly just died. All of a sudden after going to bed, when I tried in the morning, the monitor would not respond. At first I thought it was my computer, unable to come out of powersave monitor mode, or something, so I restarted. Nothing. Reset BIOS, tried again. Nothing. Tried my computer on another monitor - worked.

So I tried on the other DVI-I port, which had my PS3, than my DVI-D which had my computer so far. Still nothing. Tried a different cable, a new 10 ft monoprice dual link DVI-I cable. Tried both DVIs, nothing.

I assume something surged last night (even thought all my electronics were fine, even have high quality surge protectors) and something went awry with my DVI ports. My PS3 worked briefly, only to try again after removing it from the DVI-I that only when plugged in again that the screen was black (but at least it recognized it, unlike my computer which it acted like nothing was plugged in/in powersave).

So DS said they'd either fix my monitor or send me a new one. I confirmed with the person over the phone that I would/could get a new/my fixed DS-263N, which I commented that it is probably the best monitor ever made, unlike their newer revision DS-265, which is utter crap (which I hoped could be passed along to someone here in the states).

Anyway, TL;dr my DS-263N broked, spent $50 to ship it to DS, and hopefully I get a fixed DS-263 back or a new one that is just as good :( I had no dead/bad pixels either too, ugh. I only have had it for about 4 months so far, nothing

Interesting. I had almost the same exact problem with mine. In my troubleshooting however, I tried hooking it up via VGA, and it worked fine. I kept it that way for a few months, then started thinking "I really should get that fixed before the warranty runs out". So, I finally got around to RMA'ing it. Cost me about $40 in shipping charges, and I was without it for about 3 weeks. Got the monitor back, and the DVI inputs worked for about a week, and have just died again this morning. Once again, changing it back to VGA works just fine.

Anyone else have this issue? I'm also curious if the guy I quoted above got his fixed and it stayed fixed or broke again.

So I just have to ask after owning this beast for a year now is it still the best bang for buck 24"-27" IPS for general usage? I know its been deactivated for quite some time now so I can understand people not recommending it because of that. Are there any other 24-27" S-IPS monitors out with the A-TW polarizer or similar filter other then the high priced NEC models with higher input lag? I just love that it doesn't color shift or have viewing angle limits at all it seems unless your head were like flush with the monitor. The newer 265W doesn't seem at all to be the worthy successor to this monitor many had hoped it would be with the lack of 1:1 scaling and integrated speakers/no hdmi port? The Planar users can chime in too since its pretty much the same product other then bezel/stand. Toasty ? anyone else?

Last edited:
Can anyone with a DS-263N report over 3 years of trouble free operation? Mine was repaired recently and I'm seriously contemplating whether to just permanently replace it with a smaller less troublesome monitor.

Can anyone with a DS-263N report over 3 years of trouble free operation? Mine was repaired recently and I'm seriously contemplating whether to just permanently replace it with a smaller less troublesome monitor.

Hi, Eldata,

I've got a DS-263N that I just retired in favor of an LG IPS263V. I never had any trouble with the DS-263N, never had to have it repaired, but when I "rearranged the furniture" the ambient lighting conditions changed enough that I had to alter the screen settings. These changes highlighted the clouding that the prior settings were able to mask. I decided to retire the "263" and keep as an emergency backup.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Hi, Eldata,

I've got a DS-263N that I just retired in favor of an LG IPS263V. I never had any trouble with the DS-263N, never had to have it repaired, but when I "rearranged the furniture" the ambient lighting conditions changed enough that I had to alter the screen settings. These changes highlighted the clouding that the prior settings were able to mask. I decided to retire the "263" and keep as an emergency backup.

Hope this helps.

Chuklr

Chuklr, thanks for the feedback. Mine overheated from day one causing strange artifacts on the right hand side after extended use. Had to use a small fan from time to time to control that. Also, the DVI-I input never worked properly, it would default to analog (DVI-A) when used with a DVI-I cable. Had to use the DVI-D input with a DVI-D cable.

Sent it to Doublesight recently after all inputs failed, no video, only blank screen. Well, they fixed that but now VGA and DVI-A have a color flaw. Blacks look purple. Digital (DVI-D) looks normal. I use both the DVI-D and VGA inputs so this is unacceptable.

Long story short....Got a Samsung 2333T to use while the 263N was in the shop and after getting used to the smaller screen, I find it far less troublesome to use. Furthermore, it doesn't feel like a space heater. Have decided to relegate the 263N to some corner in the basement. What a waste of $700.00.

Chuklr, thanks for the feedback. Mine overheated from day one causing strange artifacts on the right hand side after extended use. Had to use a small fan from time to time to control that. Also, the DVI-I input never worked properly, it would default to analog (DVI-A) when used with a DVI-I cable. Had to use the DVI-D input with a DVI-D cable.

Sent it to Doublesight recently after all inputs failed, no video, only blank screen. Well, they fixed that but now VGA and DVI-A have a color flaw. Blacks look purple. Digital (DVI-D) looks normal. I use both the DVI-D and VGA inputs so this is unacceptable.

Long story short....Got a Samsung 2333T to use while the 263N was in the shop and after getting used to the smaller screen, I find it far less troublesome to use. Furthermore, it doesn't feel like a space heater. Have decided to relegate the 263N to some corner in the basement. What a waste of $700.00.

Hi, Eldata,

It definitely sounds like you are now better off without the 263N.

I thought I'd "miss" mine, but I'm finding the replacement to be an "upgrade" of sorts ... :D Also, with summer approaching and temperatures already hitting the 90s I will not miss that same "space heater" effect you referenced ... :D

Chuklr

This monitor still works after 9 years. It's still used as a primary monitor by another family member. The USB hub stopped working about 2 yrs ago, although the hub was rarely used.

Back