DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

want to know about amazon too

if it is polarized then i am ordering one

my rma with the egg ended in a refund

i don't want to wait until mid june

First post here. I got mine yesterday from Amazon. It's beautiful: no dead pixels, minimal BLB so far, with polarizer, and I just saw they've still got stock.

Unless I am retarded, there is a polarizer.

No dead or "undead" pixels, BLB only with brightness up high (I put mine at 20, I notice BLB in one corner at 100)

Since my STB does not seem to want to play nice, what are my options?

Use a component to VGA cable (that will work, right?):
+cheap
-signal quality concerns?
-PiP through svideo/Firewire only (have an analog tuner sitting around), I figure I can solve the svideo video lag if I try hard enough, but VLC crashes too often when I have one svideo and one firewire instance open, etc... a pain

Get the Hauppauge HD PVR:
+gives me PiP ability, which the DS is missing
+"infinite storage", currently if I wait 2 days my DVR overflows
+non-miserable interface
-250$
-250$ :(

Others?

A component to VGA cable won't work. Component carries a different kind of signal, so the picture will be green.

The cheapest option would be some sort of converter box or device, like the HDfury or one of these boxes: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815260014

One thing to note is the auto-adjust function for VGA really sucks on this monitor, so you'll probably have to make manual adjustments to make it look good.

If you're willing to spend $350, another option is the Blackmagic Intensity Pro, which can capture component video.

I'm still looking for a better solution, but it'd be better if they'd just fix the HDCP so it works properly.

I've read that the HDCP doesn't appear to work properly with HD cable set top boxes. What about watching a Bluray disc with either the DVI input from a computer or a stand alone Bluray player? Does this work?

I got my 263N on thursday. I've found no stuck pixels and backlight intensity looks pretty uniform and there's no buzzing noise even with brightness of 0. I calibrated it with a Huey Pro and the colors look great. Before calibration I set brightness=5, contrast=50, red_gain=100, green_gain=90, blue_gain=95 (this seem to give something close to D65). I also tried calibration with a Spyder2, but the Huey seems to work a bit better on all the monitors I've tried.

I have one problem though -- the monitor doesn't always "wake up" after Windows power management shuts it down. Usually after turning the monitor on and off a few times it will eventually detect the signal. But a couple times I had to reboot. I saw one other person here had the same problem, but I don't know if there's any fix other than to get a replacement. I'd hate to trade this one though since everything else is perfect.

Update-- This monitor works fine on my son's computer and on my computer with Dsub connector. So there must be some compatability issue between my on-board graphics DVI and the monitor. I guess I'll try using a graphics card instead of the built-in Intel graphics and see what happens...

Hmm, thank you for the component->VGA info. I did not realize those cables did not work, but after a few minutes of research I see why.

I would vastly prefer not to have to pay more than a few bucks for a converter because, like you say, it would be nice if they just fixed this.

I think the Hauppauge HD PVR will be the solution, as the cost is not much more than some of the converters, but it also adds a whole lot of functionality.

I was thinking of the STB into the Hauppauge, which allows me to get fullscreen or PiP on the DS. This also allows me a few easy ways to set up a second monitor to function as a TV or second computer monitor, and to replace the STB's DVR functions. I am having a hard time thinking about not having PiP, I have a hell of a time concentrating on one thing at once.

I think I will call DS on Tuesday, I'll report back if they have anything to say about the STB problem.

$719.99 and FREE shipping at Amazon right now! Not sure it has the polarizer though. How are your experiences with gaming on this monitor? How is the contrast ratio?

Why is no one considering the DS-243N? It's a 24" and is half the price as this one... same panel?

EDIT: I figured out why to my own question.. the DS-243N is a PV panel, and it doesn't have HDCP (which isn't a bit deal for me anyway).

How are you guys finding the black levels on this monitor? I continually read about IPS panels having a slightly lower contrast ratio than VA panels, so I'm worried that even though it is bright and has accurate and great colors, the blacks will be grayed out and gaming, movies, etc., will suck.

Does Amazon refund money if the price of an item drops within x days of purchase?

Thanks for the heads up Berek. I just ordered this from Amazon this morning. I'm pretty sure it was 799.99 yesterday. I hope this will be a nice upgrade from my Dell 2001fp.

And as far as the polarizer goes, the guy a few posts above said he just got his from Amazon, and it did indeed come with the polarizer. So I hope it does, and I can't wait to get mine.Thanks for the ton of info in this thread.

Does Amazon refund money if the price of an item drops within x days of purchase?

Yes, if the price drops within 30 days of purchase! In fact, they just refunded me $186 on a Canon 40D I bought the 14th that went down in price last week. You just need to call them and request it (have your order number handy).

Amazon.com said:
*** We're sorry. This item can't be shipped to your selected destination. You may either change the shipping address or delete the item from your order by changing its quantity to 0 and clicking the update button below. ( See geographical restrictions.) ***

:(

Canada, damn you!

Is the polarizer built into the monitor? I didn't think that it could be separate. If it didn't come with the monitor, I would think that they would have used a different model number to distinguish the non-polarizer model.

I just made an order from Amazon.com. I was surprised that there was no tax (for California) which made it a good deal. Some other web sites I checked had it cheaper but they weren't in stock and/or they charged tax (which was about $55).

Okay, so I finally managed to get through this entire thread. It sounds like this monitor will do everything I want it to do, but I'm concerned about two things - size and price. (Though I do understand that this monitor although expensive is the best bang for your buck)

I game a lot, and do a lot of Photoshop work, so I need something fast, and color accurate. I would like something that supports 1920x1200 resolution and I know that I really have to go with 24" or better in order to get that.

So with that said, is this monitor for me? I also use a KVM switch right now, but I'm thinking of tossing it. (I only use it to go between my main computer and my webserver anyways, so I could just RDP into the webserver if need be).

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Also, would Amazon be the best place to buy this from? They have it for $719.99 and free shipping.

I got one of the remaining few at amazon. they're out of stock for now...

I have been stuck with a samsung 244t for a long time now. It has great picture quality but I have just hated the input lag and played FPS games less often due to it. My mouse cursor isn't even responsive in windows on this thing compared to a CRT.

I'm hoping the doublesight will be a lot better in that regard. My brother's Dell 24" was even way better than my samsung. I'm also looking forward to the larger screen size at 1920x1200, since the text on 24" is a little small for me at this resolution.

LittleMike said:
I game a lot, and do a lot of Photoshop work, so I need something fast, and color accurate. I would like something that supports 1920x1200 resolution and I know that I really have to go with 24" or better in order to get that.

So with that said, is this monitor for me?
Oh, definitely. With calibration, the DoubleSight is 90% of the quality of the NEC 2690 at 60% of the cost, and it doesn't lag like the NEC.

muntjac said:
I have been stuck with a samsung 244t for a long time now. It has great picture quality but I have just hated the input lag and played FPS games less often due to it. My mouse cursor isn't even responsive in windows on this thing compared to a CRT.

I'm hoping the doublesight will be a lot better in that regard.
Oh, definitely. The Samsung 244T is the worst monitor I've ever used in terms of lag. The DoubleSight is almost as responsive as a CRT.

Oh, definitely. With calibration, the DoubleSight is 90% of the quality of the NEC 2690 at 60% of the cost, and it doesn't lag like the NEC.

Oh, definitely. The Samsung 244T is the worst monitor I've ever used in terms of lag. The DoubleSight is almost as responsive as a CRT.

How are the contrast and black levels of the monitor, along with color depth and richness? I hear it's only 800 contrast ratio... but maybe that's not a big deal. The 20" TN that i have is only 700 and I'm ok with it.

How are the contrast and black levels of the monitor, along with color depth and richness? I hear it's only 800 contrast ratio... but maybe that's not a big deal. The 20" TN that i have is only 700 and I'm ok with it.

I'd trade a higher contrast ratio for a larger screen, and nearly zero input lag. Lag is extremely important to me, that is why I have no problem with sacrificing a little contrast.

I'm going to be using this monitor almost solely for normal computer stuff and watching TV and videos on my PC (not connected to DVD player, etc). I'm torn between this and the 24" Dell WFP. All the TV I watch will be on my bed, about 15' away. So far I've been using a 20" Dell 2005FPW and it's been okay. Is there a noticeable difference between 24" and 26" that would lead me to choose this over the Dell?

Since I'm not a ganer, I don't care as much about input lag, etc. Mainly just size and clarity. if I get the Dell I will likely wait until the Rev A01 comes out in July.

My bed is 15ft away from my monitor, and I recently returned the Dell for the DoubleSight.

I actually thought the DS was smaller than the Dell at first (never had them side by side), but when I got it home and set up I did not notice a difference. The extra 1.5 inches of diagonal is not really noticeable, but the immense increase in awesomeness of the screen (my Dell had the green blacks mentioned in the thread here, and the downsides of a *VA panel were just not to my liking) is well worth it.

Even my non-technical (whoa boy, and I mean that) floozy thought the DS looks better. Height adjustment does not matter since I am 15' back from it anyway.

Just to get this straight, the Doublesight is IPS and the Dell 24" is VA, correct? I hope Amazon gets more in stock soon.

Aaaargh!

Thank you for your interest in out Monitors. Unfortunately we are no longer shipping this model to Canada. Try Provantage.com in the US who does ship to Canada. Also stock availability has been a problem due to the high demand. We expect supply to catch up to demand the week of June 9th.

Sincerely,

Dario DellaMaggiore

Director of Sales

t: 949.253.1535 ext. 214

f: 949.253.1537

e: [email protected]

w: www.doublesight.com

Email from buy.com today

Just a note to let you know that we are still working hard on filling your order #xxxxxxxx.
We have placed an urgent order with our suppliers and are waiting on the backordered or preordered product(s) below.

You'll receive an email from us once your item is on its way.

Thanks Toasty. There really is nothing like this monitor on the market is there? As I said, I'd rather go with something a little smaller, but for 1920x1200 resolution I don't have many choices, do I? :p And from what I've read in this thread, it's a top-notch monitor at a great price.

damn.. i tried to get an amazon.com electronics salesman to price match the ds-263n, but he said it's one of the brands that he can't price match for. then i missed the price cut.

hopefully amazon.com keeps the price low when they restock. they seem to be the best place to buy an lcd, given their return policy.

Hey again, can anyone compare the IQ on BlueRay playback from the DS to say a 1080p HDTV ??? Is there a huge difference in IQ if not i'm thinking about sealing the deal come June 16.

Hi... I didn't think I saw any resolution to the compatibility with Wii. Can anyone confirm that they can run the PC via DVI, and a Wii game console on the VGA, and have it work correctly? does it look good? I assume Wii in "wide screen" mode is 16:9, so does it get black bars but stretch horizontally?

Unfortunately, my PC monitor must do double duty, so this might be thing that decides if I go with a DS or a 32" HDTV.

thanks!

I just got the monitor in from Amazon, and I just hooked it up. Wow! This thing is awesome at first glance. It's huge, it's bright (doesn't bother me) and the colors are just so much more vivid and crisp compared to my Dell 2001fp. Amazing so far though I'm anxious to try out some games.

So is there anything I need to do after initial setup? Is there anything I need to calibrate? Great monitor so far. I haven't noticed any dead pixels yet. I can't really tell if it has the polarizer since I'm in a bright room at the moment. So far so good.

Well, I just got a new one from Amazon after having one w/o a polarizer. And I must say, either this one also lacks the polarizer (ordered last week), or I'm seriously expecting too much from it.

There is still an evident white glow. It's difficult for me to know if it's more or less, but it appears to be there.

Hey, quick question. Would you guys perfer the DS-263N 1920x1200 = $680, or a Dell 3007wfp-HC 2560x1600 = $1200 ??? Cause they both have IPS panels but the Dell has a 1000:1 contrast ratio. I'm just wondering cause now that i have over 1k to spend i might go up to the Dell. I'm a gamer and yes i do plan to get either the new 4870/x2 or 9900gtx/gx2. Input on whether to go with the Dell or the DS would be great.

Well, I just got a new one from Amazon after having one w/o a polarizer. And I must say, either this one also lacks the polarizer (ordered last week), or I'm seriously expecting too much from it.

There is still an evident white glow. It's difficult for me to know if it's more or less, but it appears to be there.

Is it annoying in any way? I hope its not a deal breaker...

Back