DoubleSight DS-263N - 26"

The display is certainly beautiful -- but I'm having problems with DVI.

It seems very hit or miss whether or not the display detects the DVI input. Analog seems to work fine but doesn't look nearly as good as DVI in my situation.

If I restart my computer, it always picks it up - but if I just turn the monitor off and back on again it usually doesn't see the DVI signal.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Actually, you were right in this regard. This was a common complaint but I can't see this issue on my NEC.

Same panel in the Doublesight and LCD2690, so same "panel specific" characteristics, especially now that the DS is coming with the A-TW Polarizer. There are other marked differences but the panel is not one of them.

As per this link:
http://xtknight.50webs.com/lcd26/page3.htm

I don't see this issue whatsoever any more, so maybe LG has changed the newer batches of panels. I didn't see this in my previous LCD2690 either. I do know this effect from my Westinghouse L2410NM having had it in the upper right corner, though.

Regards and enjoy,

10e

Sorry, I was referring primarily to complaints from other posters related to this panel, primarily the screen door effect (which is supposed to be worse on IPS panels, but improved on H-IPS). I was not complaining about its color-critical capabilities (which is why I bought this panel, and which I expect to be a huge asset once calibrated).

I hardly notice the screen door effect even under the most extreme conditions. In fact, I find the lines on the Trinitron CRT's to be far more noticable (and annoying). Anyway, I'm completely sold on this monitor and H-IPS. As a former-CRT-evangelist-turned-H-IPS-convert, I've no buyer's remorse. I love this monitor!

got the display today, but there is a scratch on the screen surface. will RMA with the egg.

dsc00731sa9.jpg

Bummer Asian. At least that's an obvious RMA, I'm sure you'll have better luck next time.

Can anyone give me the dimensions of this display not including the stand, or maybe a sight that has it? I checked a few different places, but they all included the height with the stand included.
What I'm wondering is how well it would look with a couple 19" lcd's I have on hand flanking it in portrait mode. A pair of 17" screens look good on either side of a 24", so would two 19" look good on the sides of a 26"?
Here's what I'm referring to: two 17's one 24

This sounds like a great monitor to me in almost all respects. I just have two questions I haven't found an answer to yet:

1) Does it move up and down in addition to swiveling and pivoting?

2) The contrast is rather low at only 800:1... how deep are blacks and how bright and clear are colors and such because of this?

Thanks!
Berek

1. It doesn't move up or down, nor does it swivel or pivot. It only tilts back and forth.

2. The contrast is actually worse than 800:1. It's closer to 600:1, but that doesn't tell you anything about how the monitor looks. If you get one with the polarizer, the contrast will appear to be as good as a 900:1 PVA panel. Only current S-PVA panels can do better. Contrast only affects how good black looks. It has very little effect on how good colors look. The colors will kick the crap out of any VA and TN panel because the colors don't wash out at slight angles. Viewing angles affect colors much more than contrast, especially when you're sitting in front of the monitor. VA panels will appear more washed out towards the sides, and TN panels will appear more washed out towards the bottom due to the viewing angles.

10e said:
This was a common complaint but I can't see this issue on my NEC.

Same panel in the Doublesight and LCD2690, so same "panel specific" characteristics, especially now that the DS is coming with the A-TW Polarizer. There are other marked differences but the panel is not one of them.

As per this link:
http://xtknight.50webs.com/lcd26/page3.htm

I don't see this issue whatsoever any more, so maybe LG has changed the newer batches of panels. I didn't see this in my previous LCD2690 either.
Either you got lucky and got good ones, or you just don't see the lines. I complained about the lines in the NEC thread, but everyone else insisted theirs didn't have the lines. Since then, I've been through four of them, along with the Planar and two DoubleSights, and every single one had the lines. The strength of the lines can vary from unit to unit, but they were present on all of them. I've also confirmed with IanM that the Hazro has the lines too.

The image in that link is showing my test image:
lines-test.png

Both halves should appear identical. If one half is smoother than the other, then your monitor has the lines. The difference will vary on different parts of the screen.

I'm not bothered by the lines much anymore since they're very faint on most units and seem to be "normal" for this panel, but they really shouldn't be there.

I tried the image.

There are very faint lines showing up on either the top or bottom half that alternate depending on the position on the screen. To see them though, I have to try very hard by viewing it about 4 inches from the screen and looking fairly intensely at it.

Strangely enough the image shows lines on both halves with my G2400W (TN) in clone mode.

Cheers,

10e

Both halves should appear identical. If one half is smoother than the other, then your monitor has the lines. The difference will vary on different parts of the screen.

I'm not bothered by the lines much anymore since they're very faint on most units and seem to be "normal" for this panel, but they really shouldn't be there.

Your NEC has the lines then. The lines on the NEC are interfering with the lines in the image. There are supposed to be lines of equal strength on both halves. The BenQ is showing it properly.

Yeah, that's what I figured, as I blew up the image and saw the slight alternating lines.

I guess I don't sit closely enough for them to bother me, so I'm fine with that. They fall into the same category as the tension mask wire on Trinitron CRT which used to bother me, but I got over it :)

I'm surprised the BenQ showed it though, as it's a 6-bit+HiFRC panel, but it seems to do a great job with detail. My Macbook Pro shows them, but the whole image has a nasty flicker to it.

Thanks,

10e

Your NEC has the lines then. The lines on the NEC are interfering with the lines in the image. There are supposed to be lines of equal strength on both halves. The BenQ is showing it properly.

Received my DS-263N yesterday. I'm very pleased! 0 dead pixels. Bright and vibrant colors. Used Toasty's settings as a base for my hardware calibration. Looks even better.

Question:

When I go to "Expansion Mode" in the OSD Menu it says "See Owner's Manual." It won't let me make a selection? I want to set it to Real (1:1 mapping). Do I need to be in a different DV Mode (I'm in TEXT right now)? Thanks.

Just to even comments, both DVI port works perfectly fine on mine.

And yes, back cover is "removable" to access cable input more easily.

After buying and returning 3 LCD 24" (2 were TN !!, one PVA had dead pixels and would not wake up from sleep - all series bugged), I am ecstatic with this one. IPS is clearly superior for my use at least. Despite the higher price than most retail 24", no regret whatsoever considering the tremendous superior quality over ... all the others.

:confused: BB still sell some 24" TN matrix from 450 to $600 and more !!! when you can get this IPS 26" for $690.

Received my DS-263N yesterday. I'm very pleased! 0 dead pixels. Bright and vibrant colors. Used Toasty's settings as a base for my hardware calibration. Looks even better.

Question:

When I go to "Expansion Mode" in the OSD Menu it says "See Owner's Manual." It won't let me make a selection? I want to set it to Real (1:1 mapping). Do I need to be in a different DV Mode (I'm in TEXT right now)? Thanks.

If I recall correctly, all you need to do is set it to a non-native resolution to begin with. If, for instance, you're running at the native resolution, that option is disabled.

In stock at Amazon, not from a 3rd party.

However, it is 799$ (free shipping).

Having returned my 2408, this is the last monitor that fits my needs: two digital inputs, interpolation, not TN, HDCP. I connect it to my PC and my cable STB (here's hoping the earlier problems with STBs does not bite me)

BenQ FP241W has no interpolation
HP LP2465 has no HDCP
VX2435wm has only one digital input
2408 was miserable for many reasons (I don't love green that much, and the OSD settings reset themselves)

Although it is 100$ more than Newegg, I decided that 100$ was worth a better return policy on a 7-800$ item, especially from a relatively unknown manufacturer (I have read the thread through, not too worried)

Amazon has pretty good return policies, so it may be worth the extra.

In regards to your statements here, what do you mean that the FP241W/VW has no interpolation?

Do you mean expansion of non-native resolutions? If that is the case, the BenQ does this pretty well. It gives full, aspect and 1:1 ratio control as well as overscan for the HDMI and component.

Regards,

10e

In stock at Amazon, not from a 3rd party.

However, it is 799$ (free shipping).

Having returned my 2408, this is the last monitor that fits my needs: two digital inputs, interpolation, not TN, HDCP. I connect it to my PC and my cable STB (here's hoping the earlier problems with STBs does not bite me)

BenQ FP241W has no interpolation
HP LP2465 has no HDCP
VX2435wm has only one digital input
2408 was miserable for many reasons (I don't love green that much, and the OSD settings reset themselves)

Although it is 100$ more than Newegg, I decided that 100$ was worth a better return policy on a 7-800$ item, especially from a relatively unknown manufacturer (I have read the thread through, not too worried)

Well, I wish BenQ had made that information available on their website. Or in their manual in the OSD walkthrough. And prad.de listed it as not having those settings.

I know most of my Dell problems were not purely *VA problems, but the ones that were made me think it's IPS or bust. The TNs at work are great... for work

A couple questions about this display:

- I'm getting the impression that all or nearly all the displays shipping now have the polarizer. Is this correct?

- Also the only place I can find it in stock right now is amazon, where it's $800. Anyone know somewhere else that has it in stock and a decent return policy? I'd obviously like to avoid any major defects and any dead/stuck pixels too, if possible. Or is the return policy of the merchant not an issue because Doublesight's return/exchange policy is good enough? Earlier in the thread people were talking about exchanging them directly even if they only had 1-3 bad pixels, but I wasn't sure if that was still a possibility.

Anyone heard when they will get in for Buy? I placed an order a little over a week ago; they haven't been in stock in ages.

Several people have posted that they put in an order at buy.com after it was out of stock to get in the queue. I did this the other day, but now I'm not certain it was finalized because I've gotten nothing from them at all. I was expecting an acknowledgment that would have said they'll contact me when it comes in, but nothing arrived.

I was trying to ask a question with the above, but it wasn't very clear: For anyone who backordered this from Buy.com, did you get any acknoledgement of your backorder via email?

I was trying to ask a question with the above, but it wasn't very clear: For anyone who backordered this from Buy.com, did you get any acknoledgement of your backorder via email?

I got only an email indicating they received my order, and will be sending another email when item ships. There is no separate email indicating the item is backordered. You can always check your account to see if your order is pending.

I would call to find out when they expect them in, but I don't think anyone there answers the phone. So I'll just wait.

Anyone heard when they will get in for Buy? I placed an order a little over a week ago; they haven't been in stock in ages.

Just got an email that mine shipped from Buy! I ordered a week and a half ago (5/9).

I also didn't get a backorder status email, just the order confirmation email.

Buy.com page is still showing "temporarily out of stock".

Does anyone know what Buy.com's return policy is on dead/stuck pixels? I'm considering placing an order with them, particularly if they get some in stock.

Promised this a few pages back, but was utterly obsessed with lawn care on the weekend, so here are some comparo shots from the NEC LCD2690WuXi to "TheDreamer"'s shots from this post:

http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1032495370&postcount=784

You'll notice that it looks like his has more brightness, but I'm going to attribute that to camera differences. The amount of "motion blur" on his power LED shows the exposure time is pretty long as well. Doesn't look like you have any real issues there "Dreamer". Maybe a tiny bit of BLB at the bottom right, but I still think the camera plays tricks in those shots, as he used "auto".

All my photos are done with no flash and I played with the exposure times. The only one that is realistic/comparable to normal eyesight is the first shot at half second exposure. The parts of the screen you see from the right side are my BenQ G2400W for a slight comparison, which also has pretty good black levels.

All shots are taken with the monitor set at 140cdm/2, where max. is 400cdm/2. I guess this is equal to about 35% brightness (I'm assuming brightness is linear).

Here is one of the LCD2690 at half second exposure, and close to what I see normally:

2510414805_769f0d3b8a_b.jpg

Here's one at one second exposure to exaggerate the backlight:

2511254848_a147466f63_b.jpg

Another at one second exposure and an angle to show the slight red tint of the polarizer:

2510422281_68340b5658_b.jpg

I know these shots are really nothing new, but since we purchased our respective monitors at similar times, you can see the panels are comparable between the $700.00 DS and the $1100.00 NEC.

Regards,

10e

Thank you very much for that 10e, they do look very close and makes me feel mine is about the same. Going to keep mine (even though I was anyways), and enjoy it for the next....oh fiver or so years.

I RMAed my screen back to newegg due to port/reset issues we discussed here a few weeks ago, and even though the item was not refundable, it was out of stock so they issued me a refund anyway. I figure this gives me the opportunity to do a little more homework to see if there is a better option out there, or at least to shop around other dealers.

As some may recall, I complained of rather serious eye strain issues using this monitor, but during the peak of the allergy season. I'm using my old monitor now and am still having eye issues. They may not be as bad, but the difference between a 19" trinitron CRT and a 26" LCD is large and bound to cause some adjustment issues, especially for someone with serious health problems.

That said, for those of you who have complained similarly about eye strain, did you resolve these issues? Did you find panels that did not cause eye fatigue, or make screen adjustments, or get used to it, or what exactly?

I am very interested in using my monitor as a secondary TV with comcast cable, but from what I'm reading here that may not be possible. Does it just not identify the cable box signal properly? Are there similar quality panels that do?

Thanks a bunch.

if you buy an open box from newegg, won't you get a bunch of scratches and a few dead pixels?

That was my concern as well... it's open box, chances are...

Also, open box at Newegg notes no exchange policy I think as well... so you get what you get and that's it. 15 day return I believe is still in effect.

Mine arrived today.

And all I can say is "why did I bother with the 2408?"

Even without calibrating it, it just looks so much better.

Am I better off using a Spyder2 (calibration software kind of sucks), or using the posted ICC and OSD settings? I assume the Spyder, but I thought it worth checking.

I'll comment on cable box compatibility when I get home.

Though the 2690 is double the price, If you can get ahold of the spectraview software: nothing beats it for calibration.
My 2690 looks amazing when calibrated with spectraview+i1 Display 2

Am I better off using a Spyder2 (calibration software kind of sucks), or using the posted ICC and OSD settings? I assume the Spyder, but I thought it worth checking.

The Spyder2 is not designed for wide gamut displays (such as this one). Spyder3 or Eye-One Display 2 are both capable. I just upgraded to the Spyder3 Elite today and things went smoothly (looks great). Now I just need to get some test prints to see how accurate it is (and whether or not the newest software release does the trick).

Well, it appears I have been bit with the STB problem. It worked two times when I first hooked it up, but I have not been able to get it to work since.

I have a Motorola DCT3412. I have tried two different HDMI to DVI cables, and both the DVI-D and the DVI-I port. I have tried hooking up only the STB, or mashing as many inputs in at the same time. The STB display flashes something, looks like it starts with a lower case "d"? I called Comcast because I was bored and felt like hating myself, and their guess was an HDCP problem.

Is it time to get a VGA to Component cable? Do I lose much in the way of quality compared to DVI? I suppose it could be a gateway until I get the Hauppauge HD box...

Getting a different monitor is out of the question, as the Planar is the only one in the same price range, and I really do not want to spend yet another 100$ to get it through Newegg which has a worse return policy than Amazon, where I got the DoubleSight.

Hey Lentil, just curious if the DS-263N you got from Amazon recently has the polarizer or not. Seeing as though I'm in NJ and NewEgg wants to charge me tax and shipping, the Amazon price of $799 is only like $30 more than I'd pay if I wait for NewEgg... and I'll get a better return policy. Thanks in advance for the heads up!

Back