Doom Eternal

Just tried the ray tracing on my new AMD card. It looks great.

Huge performance drop, from 250 fps to 125 fps (with dips down to around 75 in heavy fights) but it's playable.

Ray tracing is pretty slow on the 6800 XT but at least Doom Eternal is optimized enough that it's okay.

The combat arenas and pacing in TAG part 1 stayed consistently above the vanilla campaign.

That final boss' final stage was rough on me, though. Sheez. I can't say I'm a fan of the "walk slowly while you use this one weapon to do this specific trick" mechanic. Most of the fights it kinda worked in and this one I'm less sold on.

I just started playing this again, and enjoying it much more than the first time. :D

I threw a new PC together, thought I’d give the RTX business a whirl, and actually got hooked. I’m now well past the area where I decided I didn’t like it before, and may actually pick up the DLC now even.

I still don’t like the ammo mechanic, but it’s hooked me enough to let it go. :D

I also hadn’t played it since I got my ultrawide monitor. That’s also playing into it I think. :)

Yes... I have been a fool. I'm usually quick to adapt to new things, but I really did kinda hate the loop on this for the longest time. Now I'm about ready to call it my favorite Doom game (next to maybe Doom 3 because I like its style the best). I could barely pry myself away. :D I'm glad it worked out this way, even if I feel like kind of an idiot. :D I don't think I'm going to be getting many of my projects done this week. If it wasn't for me being curious about the RTX update it could have taken another year! Perfect timing too, because I've been doing another Hollow Knight run this past week, and my reflexes are frosty :cool:

Yes... I have been a fool. I'm usually quick to adapt to new things, but I really did kinda hate the loop on this for the longest time. Now I'm about ready to call it my favorite Doom game (next to maybe Doom 3 because I like its style the best). I could barely pry myself away. :D I'm glad it worked out this way, even if I feel like kind of an idiot. :D I don't think I'm going to be getting many of my projects done this week. If it wasn't for me being curious about the RTX update it could have taken another year! Perfect timing too, because I've been doing another Hollow Knight run this past week, and my reflexes are frosty :cool:

good to see your opinion change...I've been saying from the beginning of this thread that it just takes a bit of time to learn the new combat mechanics...after that it'll feel natural and you don't have to think about it anymore...a lot of the haters refused to give the game a chance...the game is crazy fun and one of the best first person shooters ever made...plus I loved that certain parts were pretty challenging

It's honestly the best FPS game of all time IMO.

However, I thought it sucked for like the first 2 or 3 hours. It takes some time to "get it" but once you let go it is so much fun.

Agreed. I actually did understand how it worked, and could do it (though maybe not as fluidly as I liked). I do play plenty of other shooters that are either complex or platformers that require the mobility skills. For some reason even though I thought Eternal was cool, it seemed to pull me out of the immersion that I love id games for in the first place. I love how transparent their controls are, and how simple the play is. This definitely just took a few more hours than it would normally take in other games for this to happen for me. Now, as Mr. Lee once said, I’m not thinking, I’m feeeeeeling. :D

I have over 150 hours in Doom Eternal across various campaign+difficulty playthrus but still think it's shit and prefer Doom 2016. Doom 2016 is perfection in minimal but functional storyline, gameplay, and none of this DLC/social junk. Hugo Martin and his popculture bloat really screwed up "Doom" to where I have zero interest in the franchise anymore. But hey - that's just me and I'm still happy for anyone who actually enjoys the game.

I have over 150 hours in Doom Eternal across various campaign+difficulty playthrus but still think it's shit and prefer Doom 2016. Doom 2016 is perfection in minimal but functional storyline, gameplay, and none of this DLC/social junk. Hugo Martin and his popculture bloat really screwed up "Doom" to where I have zero interest in the franchise anymore. But hey - that's just me and I'm still happy for anyone who actually enjoys the game.

I actually like both of them now. I agree that Doom (2016) was classic Doom perfection. And it's still an excellent game to play. (I still like Doom 3 just a bit better, because I love the specific atmosphere, ambience, etc. myself.) I'm really starting to enjoy Eternal though. And you're right, it's a very different type of game. I wouldn't say that it's any worse of a game, but it is definitely different enough that if you're on the fence, or prefer the original style, you probably won't like it as well.

That said, it's definitely clicked for me now. I'd rate Doom 3, Doom 2016, and Eternal more or less even give or take a bit for what mood I'd be in. There will definitely be times when I'm going to feel like playing one of the others instead, but I replay id games so often that it's really not going to matter.

I want a proper Quake game now.

I actually like both of them now. I agree that Doom (2016) was classic Doom perfection. And it's still an excellent game to play. (I still like Doom 3 just a bit better, because I love the specific atmosphere, ambience, etc. myself.) I'm really starting to enjoy Eternal though. And you're right, it's a very different type of game. I wouldn't say that it's any worse of a game, but it is definitely different enough that if you're on the fence, or prefer the original style, you probably won't like it as well.

That said, it's definitely clicked for me now. I'd rate Doom 3, Doom 2016, and Eternal more or less even give or take a bit for what mood I'd be in. There will definitely be times when I'm going to feel like playing one of the others instead, but I replay id games so often that it's really not going to matter.

I want a proper Quake game now.
2016 is actually quite boring to play now after having experienced Eternal. It doesn't get the adrenaline pumping like Eternal does. 2016 is still a good game, but Eternal improved on it in almost every way.

Why would you play something you think stunk for 150 hours? It couldn't have possibly been that bad then.

Why would you play something you think stunk for 150 hours? It couldn't have possibly been that bad then.
I put that amount of time into Skyrim without finishing it because I wanted to like it. You can sink many hours into a game and still think it sucks. Just for comparison I put more than twice the hours total into Oblivion and finished it across multiple platforms before mods.

I put that amount of time into Skyrim without finishing it because I wanted to like it. You can sink many hours into a game and still think it sucks. Just for comparison I put more than twice the hours total into Oblivion and finished it across multiple platforms before mods.

Heh, I was almost at that point with Eternal though my hours were maybe 5-8ish on it. I didn’t touch it for months. Then it just clicked the other day almost immediately. :D I was “that” close to not trying again.

Funny enough this happened with both System Shock games in ‘94 and ‘99 at release. Which I put down in both cases. Then randomly tried again. They have been my top two games since, and still replay them regularly.

In my case though it’s probably just mood swings :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I like to play high skill ceiling games like Doom Eternal until I fully understand the mechanics, strategies, and pros/cons of how the systems work.
So yeah, 150 hours is actually bit on the lower end of how much time I spend on a single game.

I think the game is very flawed but that doesn't mean I didn't have fun exploring the mechanics and playing the game. I just happen to think Doom 2016 is the superior Doom game.
There are definitely some things I prefer in Doom Eternal - the enemy design for one (reminiscent of the original 90s Doom game models) is much better than Doom 2016's more generic sci-fi models.

Last edited:
Credits just rolled on TAG part 2.

That was much shorter than part 1. Arena design was still good and the escalation arenas were quite enjoyable on Ultra-Nightmare. Combat tuning definitely felt a bit too easy with the hammer mechanic regenerating massive amounts of HP in one fell move and easy to recharge with the number of imps or other trash around.

Final boss was a bit of a disappointment.

I'm now sorely tempted to reinstall 2016 and see how it holds up when not viewed through my nostalgia glasses.

ETA: The change I would absolutely make is toning down the silly sound effects around some of the regular kills and glory kills.

Hey guys. I have an question. I played Doom Eternal on Rtx 3090 and it was good experience. But i dont finished game. Uninstalled. Is this worth a try to play again with RT ? Did i see difference?

I played too on Xbox One X Doom Eternal longer but i sold console some time ago. Thx

I've kind of been on a rampage playing through Doom 2016 and this. I wish I hadn't slept on them until now, they're both great games. Unbelievably satisfying combat, especially in Eternal (which, BTW, is better in every regard in my opinion.) My one small beef with Doom Eternal so far is the chainsaw mechanic. I like the concept of using it all the time to generate more ammo, but since you need 3x "fuel" for killing heavy demons with it, it means you basically NEVER get to use it on heavy demons because you're always wasting one or two fuel on light demons for ammo. They should have made it so kills generate fuel for the chainsaw so you can save it up for a heavy demon. Idk, not sure how much better that would work but I feel there's SOME other way to do it better. Still super fun as is.

Also, I have shelves in my space castle for my toy collection. GOTY all years: (yes I know it's a freaking monitor picture, the game will not show up in print-screens for whatever reason..)

RXv88L1.jpg

Kills do generate fuel, but I think only up to 1 (for small enemies), you have to save fuel for the bigger guys (but usually this is not an option).

Kills do generate fuel, but I think only up to 1 (for small enemies), you have to save fuel for the bigger guys (but usually this is not an option).
Yeah that's what I mean. You only ever get 1 fuel which is only good enough for basic zombies and imps. So 99% of the time you just use that 1 fuel on them because it gives you enough ammo to kill the bigger demons... then let it recharge and repeat. I think I've used a fully charged chainsaw on large demons like 2 times because of how it works. Basically you have to be fully aware of whether you're going into an encounter with a fully charged chainsaw and go straight for the heaviest demon if you do.

I've kind of been on a rampage playing through Doom 2016 and this. I wish I hadn't slept on them until now, they're both great games. Unbelievably satisfying combat, especially in Eternal (which, BTW, is better in every regard in my opinion.) My one small beef with Doom Eternal so far is the chainsaw mechanic. I like the concept of using it all the time to generate more ammo, but since you need 3x "fuel" for killing heavy demons with it, it means you basically NEVER get to use it on heavy demons because you're always wasting one or two fuel on light demons for ammo. They should have made it so kills generate fuel for the chainsaw so you can save it up for a heavy demon. Idk, not sure how much better that would work but I feel there's SOME other way to do it better. Still super fun as is.

Also, I have shelves in my space castle for my toy collection. GOTY all years: (yes I know it's a freaking monitor picture, the game will not show up in print-screens for whatever reason..)

View attachment 376636
Glad you're enjoying them. Eternal in particular is fast and frenetic.

And PrintScrn? Are you playing these on Steam? If so, F12 should dump a screenshot into the screenshots folder and you can browse them later via the Steam client GUI.

DSR+DXR+DLSS has breathed new life into this title. On the 3090 the game is just blistering fast and the graphics do look better overall with the new update. More lush and vivid.

I am now working on Part I of the DLC and the onslaught from the enemies requires some truly high level play. You have to use every skill and weapon the arsenal to survive. Good stuff. It would never fly as part of the base game but as DLC it is ok.

I am now working on Part I of the DLC and the onslaught from the enemies requires some truly high level play. You have to use every skill and weapon the arsenal to survive. Good stuff. It would never fly as part of the base game but as DLC it is ok.

the base game had some Slayer Gates which were pretty challenging...

DLSS looks prettier in this game than without or no difference? :)

I have my DLSS set to Quality, and am not noticing anything short of gorgeous graphics and details. Everything is absolutely maxed. I’m playing on a 1440 Ultrawide.

Thst in itself isn’t the main thing I’m impressed with though. That would be that I’m on a pretty humble PC while I wait for a better GPU.

i7-10700, 16GB, RTX-3060-12GB, SSDs.

It’s not a bad setup, but hardly [H]. :D

DLSS looks prettier in this game than without or no difference? :)
it's been a topic of debate. DLSS basically gives a softer image that's almost like an additional pass of temporal anti aliasing. in my opinion yes it does actually improve image quality slightly, at least on the "balanced" or higher settings, especially with a sharpening filter turned on. but i'm sure there are others that would disagree with me. at the very least it's a pretty subtle difference for a huge performance gain.

is DLSS even needed with ray-tracing enabled at 1440p 60+ fps?

My monitor is 75Hz at 3440x1440, so I just wanted it pegged at 75 which it is. It might still do it without DLSS, but I haven’t tried it yet. It’s also adaptive, but I’ve never seen it drop below 75 even in places like the Cultist Base with all the metal reflections and huge masses of enemies.

Cyberpunk is another story :D It does ok, but the 3060 (12GB non-Ti) as expected is not enough card for that. Then again CDPR are not id Sotware when it comes to optimized engines.

it's been a topic of debate. DLSS basically gives a softer image that's almost like an additional pass of temporal anti aliasing. in my opinion yes it does actually improve image quality slightly, at least on the "balanced" or higher settings, especially with a sharpening filter turned on. but i'm sure there are others that would disagree with me. at the very least it's a pretty subtle difference for a huge performance gain.
So in Battlefield V, I find that 1080p with resolution scale set to max (4K) yields the best image, significantly better than DSR set to 4K plus DLSS gets close but not quite but the game absolutely flies. How native 4K without DSR would stack up I can’t say.

I thought that 3090 would handle 4K in BFV without DLSS through the internal resolution scale without issue, but in fact the frame rates struggle! The image is a bit too soft with DSR and DLSS but the overall gameplay experience is improved. In fact, 3090 does not significantly outperform 1080ti in subjective performance without DLSS in BFV.

What this suggests is that DLSS is instrumental to NVIDIAs plans, but I feel like it is a bit of a tradeoff. It looks better implemented in Doom Eternal. My sense is DLSS is a kind of compromise with a highly favorable quality/performance ratio but nevertheless a compromise, perhaps developed because conventional antialiasing at native 4K would require astronomically powerful cards that we won’t see for generations. 4K displays are here now and it appears DLSS is here to make gaming at that resolution a reality rather than a slideshow. I think it could be a game changer for portables (Switch 2?) and laptops, and graphics cards that aren’t as big as a house.

I will turn off DLSS in Doom Eternal and see what happens. I can’t remember if there is an internal resolution scale option or not.

DSR with DLSS doesn't make any sense.

So you have a 1080p screen, and you render the game to 1080p, upscale to 4K, and then downscale back to 1080p?

Seems like you would just lose performance and it would look worse.

DSR with DLSS doesn't make any sense.

So you have a 1080p screen, and you render the game to 1080p, upscale to 4K, and then downscale back to 1080p?

Seems like you would just lose performance and it would look worse.
No. You render the game at 4K and downscale to 1920x1080. With the game rendering at 4K DLSS will be starting image reconstruction from a higher base resolution. Would probably make more sense to just DSR to 2715x1527 (2x 1920x1080) without using DLSS, though.

is DLSS even needed with ray-tracing enabled at 1440p 60+ fps?

With my 2080, I was getting around 120 FPS at 1440x3440 with Quality DLSS, which is perfect for my 120 Hz monitor. This is with completely maxed settings except Texture Pool set to "Ultra" (which textures aren't changed at higher settings anyways, only the amount loaded into VRAM to minimize texture streaming that I've never noticed on Ultra). I tried to disable DLSS while I was playing yesterday and it didn't impact performance whatsoever, so I guess you need to restart the game to toggle DLSS, which I didn't care enough to try at the moment.

Doom 2016 was almost perfection. My only complaint was that they did not include a proper editor. I guess with how companies don't include editors almost at all anymore, and haven't for the last 10+ years, I suppose we should be thankful that we at least got SnapMap. Other than that, everything about Doom 2016 was perfect. Amazingly well optimized, music was heart pumping, visuals were slick and clean, UI made sense, the non stop arcade action was a direct throwback to old school doom, it had a story but it never seem to take precedence over the action, had tons of extra easter eggs laying around, and enough challenges to keep you trying.

I tried Doom Eternal. I wouldn't say it's bad at all, but when compared to Doom 2016, it just... falls short. I can't even reall explain it. It just doesn't feel like the same game. The combat was more aggravating, the music wasn't quite as engaging, etc.

Doom 2016 was almost perfection. My only complaint was that they did not include a proper editor. I guess with how companies don't include editors almost at all anymore, and haven't for the last 10+ years, I suppose we should be thankful that we at least got SnapMap. Other than that, everything about Doom 2016 was perfect. Amazingly well optimized, music was heart pumping, visuals were slick and clean, UI made sense, the non stop arcade action was a direct throwback to old school doom, it had a story but it never seem to take precedence over the action, had tons of extra easter eggs laying around, and enough challenges to keep you trying.

I tried Doom Eternal. I wouldn't say it's bad at all, but when compared to Doom 2016, it just... falls short. I can't even reall explain it. It just doesn't feel like the same game. The combat was more aggravating, the music wasn't quite as engaging, etc.

I agree almost completely, except that I find Eternal just as good now (after making myself push into it a bit further than I had initially), but in a very different way.

I wouldn’t call either better or worse, just very different. Like separate sub-genre different.

2016 definitely had the audio/music edge though.

Back