Doom Eternal

Yeah release this only a month apart from cyberpunk. I was so looking forward to this in NOVEMBER. Fking uggggghhhh

There is that. Of course, I'd rather be spoiled for options more times a year than just the holiday season. Doom will probably be a good game to use as a break for Cyberpunk also. I actually play quite a few id games when I'm in the middle of big RPG-type stuff, because it's such a good contrast.

There is that. Of course, I'd rather be spoiled for options more times a year than just the holiday season. Doom will probably be a good game to use as a break for Cyberpunk also. I actually play quite a few id games when I'm in the middle of big RPG-type stuff, because it's such a good contrast.

I basically binge every game until I'm done with it and move onto the next one, not that you don't make a good point.

We do still at least have Rick and Morty to look forward to in November o.o

I basically binge every game until I'm done with it and move onto the next one, not that you don't make a good point.

We do still at least have Rick and Morty to look forward to in November o.o

Yeah, I'm kind of all over the board depending on the game. Some I will play right through in every available, waking minute until it's done. Some I'll play straight through, but at a more relaxed pace. Some I'll play a little bit, then play something else, come back to it, etc. I play most id games the first way. Squeezing them into my schedule, and playing as much as possible until they're done.

I wish I could do that. I play for 10 hours and get bored, usually. Unless the game really catches my attention then it's about 40-50 hours.

I wish I could do that. I play for 10 hours and get bored, usually. Unless the game really catches my attention then it's about 40-50 hours.

I wish I could do that, if I don't focus on beating a game or at least getting a comfortable level of completion, I'll drop it and by the time I come back around I have completely forgot its nuances.

Sadly KC Deliverance is sitting on that pile for me after 50 hours, I want to finish it but the combat is so nuanced and different I just keep dying.

Want to hold your gun like it's 1994? Doom Eternal will let you, with Classic Weapon Pose in the options menu at launch (Doom 2016 added the option after launch)

DOOM Eternal - Classic Weapon View (Gameplay)

Want to hold your gun like it's 1994? Doom Eternal will let you, with Classic Weapon Pose in the options menu at launch (Doom 2016 added the option after launch)

DOOM Eternal - Classic Weapon View (Gameplay)

Awesome! Thanks for posting.

anyone else remember offsetting the gun position in Quake and thinking "okay, this is the future"... who were we kidding

images (23).jpeg

The more I see of this the more I think that this is tied into the original games somehow instead of simply superseding them.

new trailer looks epic...hopefully the extra few months helped them polish up the game
On the 26th anniversary stream I posted in the Doom 64 thread they showed off a bunch of changes they made to the game since last we saw it, including extensive HUD customization. It's nice to know they took criticism to heart. Now if only they will bring back classic deathmatch for multiplayer.

Looks cool but $90 for the digital deluxe edition? Jesus.

That's one reason I buy a lot less "AAA" games these days and a lot more Indies and play a lot more retro games. Doom is something I'll pay that much for. Cyberpunk, and maybe a few others as well. I used to buy just about anything that I knew would be half decent. Now I'm very picky about what I'll buy, because I want the FULL game, which means spending $80+ usually to get it. It's actually a good thing I don't have a lot more time on my hands anymore. :D

Doom Eternal is apparently twice as long as its predecessor

According to creative director Hugo Martin, it will take you around 22 hours to get to the end..."We're hell-bent on engaging you from beginning to end," Martin told Gamespot..."This is a 22-plus hour game," adding that the first three hours showed off more stuff than you'd see in a whole playthrough of its 2016 predecessor...

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/how-long-will-doom-eternal-be-over-20-hours-accord/1100-6472909/

Doom Eternal Early Impressions

Fast, brutal, and metal as hell, this is the most gleefully manic FPS since 2011's Bulletstorm…I'm sure on lower difficulty settings Doom Eternal feels a little bit less frantic, but creative director Hugo Martin told me they want people to have the same experience no matter the difficulty setting...Doom Eternal is designed to make you constantly switch weapons and use everything in your arsenal to make it through...the more aggressive enemies push you to use the flame belch to build armor; the weak points on heavy-hitters like the Mancubus and Revenant force you to use grenades or specific weapon mods to cripple them...sticking to the Super Shotgun isn't going to cut it this time...

purely for its combat, Doom feels like it already has a good shot at being the best shooter of 2020... I also saw some really, really cool art design in the first couple hours...

https://www.pcgamer.com/doom-eternal-hands-on-gameplay/

I like the sound of this overall, but I'm still not sold on how far they seem to be pushing the weapon switching. Personally, I don't see the problem with establishing some favorites, and then using them for most of the game. I think that comes down to player taste and play styles. Hopefully it's not as forced as it sounds. Otherwise, I think this game sounds tip top! I'm all for the right tool for the job (something focused to hit a weak spot for example) but maybe not down to the particular weapon mod as mentioned.

Reactions: Ryom
like this
I like the sound of this overall, but I'm still not sold on how far they seem to be pushing the weapon switching. Personally, I don't see the problem with establishing some favorites, and then using them for most of the game. I think that comes down to player taste and play styles. Hopefully it's not as forced as it sounds. Otherwise, I think this game sounds tip top! I'm all for the right tool for the job (something focused to hit a weak spot for example) but maybe not down to the particular weapon mod as mentioned.

I'm sure you can still use your favorite weapon throughout...I think the developer is just trying to get players to experiment and try out new combat methods...sounds like the sequel wants to change things up while retaining the spirit of what makes Doom what it is...

Hugo Martin, Doom Eternal Creative Director: “It’s about adding new things to the game to keep Doom Eternal engaging from beginning to end,” Martin said about the game’s new acrobatic elements. “A critique of Doom (2016) that is really fair is, it’s hallways and arenas, hallways and arenas...But in between the arenas, we had to do more. We had to do more than give you great skate parks to murder demons in; we needed to make the areas between the skate parks just as engaging with these little combat puzzles to be solved"

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2020-three-hours-with-doom-eternal
"It's possible to adjust just about every element of the HUD and controls."

"Rather than focusing on a single location, Eternal allows players to visit different areas around the planet. This is accessed from a central hub location - basically a flying space spire inhabited by the Doom Slayer, which he uses to travel around. It's a fun idea and thankfully, doesn't slow down the gameplay. More to the point, it means that each stage can offer a unique look and feel without any big sudden changes feeling out of place or jarring."

"...interesting puzzling and platforming sections providing something very different from what you might expect. I also enjoyed a sequence where you take control of a Revenant temporarily to reach an item. It completely changes up your move set and leads to a unique battle sequence that is a lot of fun to play. I guess the point is that there seems to be a ton of variety in the game this time..."

"The good news is that the core gameplay loop of the reboot is still in pace, but there are some changes. Firstly, the pistol has been eliminated - the default weapon is now the shotgun, while ammo and health are scarce and both drop quickly. The focus, therefore, is more strategic than before."

"This is enhanced by an increased focus on momentum and parkour. The Slayer can swing from hanging bars, climb walls and generally move more rapidly. The stages are built more vertically as well, resulting in lots of fast-paced platforming which integrates beautifully with the combat. In a way, it feels like some perfect fusion of id's multiplayer and single-player sensibilities - the high flying antics of Quake 3 live on in single-player form here. Basically, this is the antithesis of your typical modern day shooter."

"Once in-game, the first thing that really stood out to me is map complexity. The sheer amount of geometry pushed here is greatly expanded compared to the previous game. Detail is everywhere - edges are smoothed over; debris fills every nook and cranny and nearly every surface is filled with geometric flourishes."

"Doom Eternal doesn't use motion capture extensively, instead relying on carefully hand-crafted animation. This was already a strong point in Doom 2016 and it's further improved here - the variety, weight and speed of the animation is fantastic and the game blends smoothly between different animation states."

"With id Tech 7, the studio has completed the transition away from Megatextures. While the 'virtual texturing' idea first developed for Rage was interesting, it has a lot of drawbacks - specifically with problems streaming in high resolution art. The new approach sees Doom Eternal delivering much more detailed surfaces with support for elements like tiling and multiple layers. It's more of a return to a traditional model but the materials and fidelity of the textures are greatly improved, and there is no visible pop-in either."

"With id Tech 7, the studio has completed the transition away from Megatextures. While the 'virtual texturing' idea first developed for Rage was interesting, it has a lot of drawbacks - specifically with problems streaming in high resolution art. The new approach sees Doom Eternal delivering much more detailed surfaces with support for elements like tiling and multiple layers. It's more of a return to a traditional model but the materials and fidelity of the textures are greatly improved, and there is no visible pop-in either."

interesting that they moved away from Megatextures...I thought it was a core part of the iD engine...looks like Photogrammetry is the future...

interesting that they moved away from Megatextures...I thought it was a core part of the iD engine...looks like Photogrammetry is the future...

It seems that way. Have you checked out Witchfire?

Seems like they added some Rage 2 to this game like when you discover the Arks gives a tutorial.

Yeah the good games always have those down to earth guys stoking up their games it looks like a jump from the last doom I couldn't even finish the last game I gave up mid game due to puzzles that I didn't care about.

Avoiding watching all these videos, but watched this for the LOLs. Our favorite urinalist Dean Takahashi, who could not get through the Cuphead tutorial, takes a stab at a 3D shooter with platforming.

The entirety of the 11 minute video has Dean stuck in the exact same area.

Deleted now as of Jan. 29. Damn...

Nop, somebody backed it up :D.

Last edited:
Avoiding watching all these videos, but watched this for the LOLs. Our favorite urinalist Dean Takahashi, who could not get through the Cuphead tutorial, takes a stab at a 3D shooter with platforming.

The entirety of the 11 minute video has Dean stuck in the exact same area.

Out of sheer curiosity I tried playing Fortnite on a phone once and that's the vibe I got from watching this guy play Doom.

That's one reason I buy a lot less "AAA" games these days and a lot more Indies and play a lot more retro games. Doom is something I'll pay that much for. Cyberpunk, and maybe a few others as well. I used to buy just about anything that I knew would be half decent. Now I'm very picky about what I'll buy, because I want the FULL game, which means spending $80+ usually to get it. It's actually a good thing I don't have a lot more time on my hands anymore. :D
I'm the exact opposite. I won't pay more than the price for the vanilla game, at least if I buy at launch. If the DLC is worth buying, it will be on sale later and I "might" buy it then. As far as I'm concerned, the vanilla game is the full game. Any DLC is an expansion pack.

Attach files
I'm the exact opposite. I won't pay more than the price for the vanilla game, at least if I buy at launch. If the DLC is worth buying, it will be on sale later and I "might" buy it then. As far as I'm concerned, the vanilla game is the full game. Any DLC is an expansion pack.

It really depends on the game, and the timing of the release of DLC content. I view something like Doom the way you do. What gets released is "the game". (though I may later buy addons) For many fighting games though as a counter-example, I know half the content I'm going to want will be in the form of DLC. It's just the way they structure them now to make their dimes and nickels. There are also things like Dark Souls 3 which I bought the deluxe edition of (discounted no less) on release because it included the DLC. I figured the expansions would be worth the package price. Some games are, some games aren't. Some expansions really should be played in-line with the game (so maybe hold off), while others are totally fine to play after the main game. Just depends.

God I can't wait for this game! Hoping my 1070ti and 3600 is enough for 1440P and 60FPS on max details :) Doom is one of the few games I actually finished. Reminds me of the good old days playing Serious Sam

Back