Doom Eternal

Nobody does shooters as well as Id - they should stick with what they are best at. There are plenty of other developers who are experts at other genres. Would not want Id leaving this space as there are not enough of developers that can fill their shoes. I (selfishly) need Id to make best shooters possible.
I just wish they were the ones making the new Commander Keen instead of letting Zenimax Online Studios murder my boy :cry:

Hey guys. Whats the best option. Buy this game to Xbox One X or for pc with 9700K,32GB DDR 4 GSKILL ,2080 Super Waterforce,Aorus Z390 Pro,Seasonic TX 750 W PLATINUM?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DK1C1Y...scsubtag=8482585a630111ea94fc562d90c888120INT

They have it on Amazon for $49, but they're all physical copies it looks like (PC and console) - so I'm assuming you'd have to pay tax as well.

You don't pay taxes on digitally distributed games?

Hey guys. Whats the best option. Buy this game to Xbox One X or for pc with 9700K,32GB DDR 4 GSKILL ,2080 Super Waterforce,Aorus Z390 Pro,Seasonic TX 750 W PLATINUM?

The answer is always PC. With that hardware you'll get 500fps versus 60fps.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
it's currently $48.50 on GreenManGaming (after an extra 12% off using code MAYHEM)...

I know it's rare, but I personally prefer to use them only as a last option. It was 3-4 years back at this point but I had my CC info stolen a day after using them. I've used them again since, but not as often.

PC, no question. Xbox One X version is going to run at 1440p 60 FPS while you could do double the framerate at that resolution on your PC.

Has anyone heard anything about DOOM 64 in regards to pricing and/or if it will be available separately on Steam instead of just a pre-order bonus for DOOM Eternal?

I plan to buy Eternal eventually of course, but I typically don't pre-order games. However if that's the only way to get DOOM 64 then it might influence my decision... I'm stoked for Eternal but also oddly excited about the DOOM 64 PC remake.

Has anyone heard anything about DOOM 64 in regards to pricing and/or if it will be available separately on Steam instead of just a pre-order bonus for DOOM Eternal?

I plan to buy Eternal eventually of course, but I typically don't pre-order games. However if that's the only way to get DOOM 64 then it might influence my decision... I'm stoked for Eternal but also oddly excited about the DOOM 64 PC remake.
Supposedly it will be released for sale separately the day it comes out. It's listed for $5 on the Nintendo eShop like the other classic Doom games, but no separate price listing on Steam or other consoles yet. I do not have the Bethesda.net store on my PC, so I can't check that.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1148590/DOOM_64/

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/doom-64-switch/

Love how they recommend a 9900k/3700k for Nightmare settings on a game using an ID tech engine. Yeah, ok. This is why PC gaming seems out of reach to new gamers compared to console.

Any Intel 4/8 // 6/6 or AMD 6/12 or better CPU made in the last 4 years would do fine even with a 2080ti

Love how they recommend a 9900k/3700k for Nightmare settings on a game using an ID tech engine. Yeah, ok. This is why PC gaming seems out of reach to new gamers compared to console.

Any Intel 4/8 // 6/6 or AMD 6/12 or better CPU made in the last 4 years would do fine even with a 2080ti

system requirements are pretty meaningless outside of the Minimum specs...anything above that is just a way to get people to upgrade

For 4K at 60 FPS. Why salty?

Any Intel 4/8 // 6/6 or AMD 6/12 or better CPU made in the last 4 years would do fine
Do you know that the game doesn't have requirements for more CPU grunt as settings increase?

I'll grant that they could just be playing along, but they could also be serious.

Do you know that the game doesn't have requirements for more CPU grunt as settings increase?

I'll grant that they could just be playing along, but they could also be serious.

last game was really well optimized with Vulkan...with no ray tracing support I'm expecting the same here...unless you're playing at 4K then the game should run fine across a variety of older hardware

...unless you're playing at 4K then the game should run fine across a variety of older hardware
I agree; just pointing out the possibility that the Nightmare setting could also just be that much more intense.

And that it could also be FUD, too.

The GPU will be the bottleneck as you push settings up WAY before the CPU is. Same goes for resolution.

Doom 64's long-awaited PC port is due to release in a little over a week and word has arrived that it'll feature an entirely new, never-before-seen chapter of demon-slaying mayhem...that's according to James Haley, senior developer at porting studio Nightdive, who, in an interview with USgamer, explained that Doom 64's upcoming conversion will feature "a new chapter in the Doomguy's saga" that can be unlocked by "persistent players"...

https://www.usgamer.net/articles/ex...eal-the-port-will-include-a-brand-new-chapter

So 9700K will be not enough for maxed settings? Or i dont understand something.

Also i will be able to play on NIGHTMARE settings on 1440P with 2080 Super and 9700K?

it's currently $48.50 on GreenManGaming (after an extra 12% off using code MAYHEM)...
Last month Green Man Gaming had it for like 20% off or so, and I preordered it (I pretty much never preorder games). Then I immediately requested a refund, because I saw that they were gonna give me a key for the Bethesda Launcher, not a Steam key. It seems every digital storefront except Steam itself is selling Bethesda keys. I haven't seen any preorder discount sales for the Steam version. I was able to score Doom 2016 a few months after launch for 50% off, and the year after launch it even went on sale for as low as 5 bucks, so I'll just wait on Doom Eternal and see what kind of sales pop up for the Steam version.

The GPU will be the bottleneck as you push settings up WAY before the CPU is. Same goes for resolution.
Bottlenecking, unfortunately, is not black and white.

The GPU will be most of the bottleneck, I agree, but we don't know if there are CPU-dependent settings on Nightmare that will affect frametimes.

Also i will be able to play on NIGHTMARE settings on 1440P with 2080 Super and 9700K?
You're going to have to determine whether 'enough' is enough for you. If it isn't, you might have to turn something down, though you probably won't notice the difference.

9700K will be fine. We'll have to wait until the game is out to see how important the extra threads are on the 9900K and 3700X. The game may be scaling very well across CPU threads and there may be a setting or two that needs the extra threads to set them to Nightmare. Or it could be a simple case of them increasing all the hardware specs uniformly with the recommended settings.

Hope 9700K will be enough for nightmare 1440P. Also i can life with frame drops there and there. :) In this moment i dont bought 9700K. Have all parts ,only cpu left to buy. So maybe wait for review and then decide to buy 9700K or 9900K?

I will buy this just for console. Not have cpu yet ( 9700K or 9900K). All parts have but cpu will buy in a short of time.

I just learned that this game isn't launching with RT or DLSS, so I'll wait until they patch that in before I pick it up on PC and hopefully during a sale by that time. After seeing how well RT and esp. DLSS performed on Wolfenstein YB, I definitely don't want to play through Doom Eternal without it.

I'm probably going to end up playing through this 20 times like 2016, so I don't mind not having ray tracing at launch. I have the need. The need to...

1584110238959.png

Yeah, I read about that a while back, and decided that I would play it both ways :)

Last month Green Man Gaming had it for like 20% off or so, and I preordered it (I pretty much never preorder games). Then I immediately requested a refund, because I saw that they were gonna give me a key for the Bethesda Launcher, not a Steam key. It seems every digital storefront except Steam itself is selling Bethesda keys. I haven't seen any preorder discount sales for the Steam version. I was able to score Doom 2016 a few months after launch for 50% off, and the year after launch it even went on sale for as low as 5 bucks, so I'll just wait on Doom Eternal and see what kind of sales pop up for the Steam version.

at the end of the day I decided to cancel my Amazon pre-order and buy it through Steam instead...I don't mind multiple game launchers but I don't use the Bethesda launcher for any other game so there's no point to it (I have Rage 2 and Wolfenstein: Youngblood on Game Pass PC)...

Wonder how much the Doom 64 PC port will be. Pulled all my N64 gear out of mothballs a while back and looked at cartridge prices. Doom interest is high right now and so are the sellers.

Over the past week I have been watching every game play video on YouTube I could find. After seeing so much platforming (despise that stuff), have determined this is not a first day buy for me. Warm weather is approaching so won't be spending too much time inside anyway. Plan to buy the game, eventually. Will wait for user opinions before deciding whether to wait until the first sale comes along. Maybe by September?

Wonder how much the Doom 64 PC port will be. Pulled all my N64 gear out of mothballs a while back and looked at cartridge prices. Doom interest is high right now and so are the sellers.

Over the past week I have been watching every game play video on YouTube I could find. After seeing so much platforming (despise that stuff), have determined this is not a first day buy for me. Warm weather is approaching so won't be spending too much time inside anyway. Plan to buy the game, eventually. Will wait for user opinions before deciding whether to wait until the first sale comes along. Maybe by September?
Mentioned earlier that it's $5 on the Switch. The newest versions of Doom and Doom II are no more expensive on PC compared to console, so I wouldn't expect it to be more than $5.

I just learned that this game isn't launching with RT or DLSS, so I'll wait until they patch that in before I pick it up on PC and hopefully during a sale by that time. After seeing how well RT and esp. DLSS performed on Wolfenstein YB, I definitely don't want to play through Doom Eternal without it.
Same here, but I hope the nvidia Ampere series shows up in time too!

Back