Doom Eternal

Good God that looks glorious!!! I hadn't seen that trailer yet. I have a feeling this will be a day 1 buy for me. That's 3 this year so far. Rage 2, Borderlands 3 and now this!

2019 is gonna shape up as the best year for great single player shooters in a long time! Just when we were starting to feel neglected!

I bought RAGE 2 day one, and still haven't even played it. It's the next slot in my back log, which is actually pretty good right now. The ol' backlog is actually what I'd call manageable for once. :D I should manage to get to R2 sometime this month if all goes well.

I bought RAGE 2 day one, and still haven't even played it. It's the next slot in my back log, which is actually pretty good right now. The ol' backlog is actually what I'd call manageable for once. :D I should manage to get to R2 sometime this month if all goes well.

Since I loved RAGE (especially with that brilliant 120 Hz mod) I was kind of interested in RAGE 2 until I watched some gameplay. Yet to watch skilled footage but based on what I've seen I am not feeling it

Since I loved RAGE (especially with that brilliant 120 Hz mod) I was kind of interested in RAGE 2 until I watched some gameplay. Yet to watch skilled footage but based on what I've seen I am not feeling it

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure how it will go. I actually have a feeling that I'll have a good time with it, but I've also heard a few things to the contrary. I absolutely loved the first one. Many of the complaints I heard about this one, I think I can live with. A few of them seem like they might annoy me. Nothing sounds game-breaking, but we'll see. It's sitting at the ready, so I'll know soon enough. :D

Yeah, I'm not 100% sure how it will go. I actually have a feeling that I'll have a good time with it, but I've also heard a few things to the contrary. I absolutely loved the first one. Many of the complaints I heard about this one, I think I can live with. A few of them seem like they might annoy me. Nothing sounds game-breaking, but we'll see. It's sitting at the ready, so I'll know soon enough. :D

It looks somewhat farming/looting oriented. That's what happend to Shadow Warrior 2. Fantastic gameplay but ruined by copying Borderlands mechanics

I don't regret paying full price for it. It's nothing groundbreaking and I couldn't really tell you what the story is about but the graphics are very good, atmosphere is really cool and the combat is a lot of fun. I'm pretty much going from side mission to side mission because they're all pretty much "go here and kill everything that moves". I'm several hours into it and it hasn't lost its shine.

If you want a good story, wait til it goes on sale. If you want a lot of cool graphics and combat that's a blast, it might be worth it to pick it up.

Aaaaaand RAGE 2 just went on sale for 50% off on Steam, lol. What timing.

If you want a good story, wait til it goes on sale. If you want a lot of cool graphics and combat that's a blast, it might be worth it to pick it up.

And that, right there, is why I love id games. Sure there are other bits and pieces to the games, but these are the important ones. If I want a story, I'll go elsewhere. Just like if I want a side-scrolling shoot 'em up or RPG or something. :D

Haha! Story of my life!

The instant I click on "submit order" something newer, faster, better AND cheaper launches.
It's QuakeCon this weekend, and there is always a sale on Steam during QuakeCon. Should have known better :cat:.

It's QuakeCon this weekend, and there is always a sale on Steam during QuakeCon. Should have known better :cat:.

The problem for me is, other than Doom Eternal and Youngblood, most of that sale is greyed out and "In Library" :D I did actually buy the full Quake series during a QuakeCon sale several years back though, so I didn't need my discs anymore.

The problem for me is, other than Doom Eternal and Youngblood, most of that sale is greyed out and "In Library" :D I did actually buy the full Quake series during a QuakeCon sale several years back though, so I didn't need my discs anymore.
Same here :cool:.

I don't like the way they're talking about the game. Gameplay looks good but they're talking about strats to milk the waves of monsters and such. Thinking man's shooter spells doom

I played the demo showcased in that video at QuakeCon and it's definitely true -- most enemies are weak to only certain weapons/strategies.
It's still a really fun game -- a lot more frantic and fast-paced than even Doom 2016.
That said, I don't know if it was due to the time limit on my playtime at QuakeCon or just me, but at times the game felt more stressful than fun.
For one, I could not rebind controls or change mouse sensitivity, but it feels like there's a lot more keys and other shit to keep track off than Doom 2016.
Maybe I'm just getting old - in any case, this game is a definite buy for me (no preorder though).

I can't believe I'm saying this, but after this year's QuakeCon I am no longer excited about this game. I canceled my CE preorder and will wait for gameplay videos after release to see if it's worth my time.

Reactions: dgz
like this
I'm not liking the little outline around enemy players. I hope that's optional, or just part of some kind of additional targeting system, and not default. It looks bad, and also people should be able to pick out their enemies. Not sure how many more baby-assists we need in games. Hopefully I'm jumping to conclusions. :D

I'm not liking the little outline around enemy players. I hope that's optional, or just part of some kind of additional targeting system, and not default. It looks bad, and also people should be able to pick out their enemies. Not sure how many more baby-assists we need in games. Hopefully I'm jumping to conclusions. :D
Call of Duty is getting rid of the minimap and Doom is adding a wallhack :banghead:.

Bright skins, outlines, and more have been standard MP games since like Quake 3, this isn't that bad.

Reactions: dgz
like this
Bright skins, outlines, and more have been standard MP games since like Quake 3, this isn't that bad.

Like I said, if it’s just a certain aim mode or something, that’s fine. I don’t mind certain types of indicators in the right context. I’m also still very much looking forward to the game. However, in the case of the video above, it seemed a little outside those parameters, and I’m hoping I’m drawing the conclusion based on it being a short video. I’m the least critical person you’ll find of any id game. Just not into those specific effects.

Indeed. If anything, the outlines are too subtle for me. It's hard to have fun when you can't make out what's what. Too much visual detail ruins MP games imo.

I like how some QuakeWorld mods allow you to change floors/walls/celings colors on top of bright skins. It makes a huge difference. Fast games shouldn't be about who has the best eyesight

Last edited:
Indeed. If anything, the outlines are too subtle for me. It's hard to have fun when you can't make out what's what. Too much visual detail ruins MP games imo.

I like how some QuakeWorld mods allow you to change floors/walls/celings colors on top of bright skins. It makes a huge difference. Fast games shouldn't be about who has the best eyesight

I disagree. But, you know, personal taste and all that...

For me, if I’m playing some dark, foreboding game in a nasty hell-scape, I don’t want bright things Disneying up my environment.

Too dark is one thing, but decent semi-pseudo-natural lighting is perfect. I never needed my enemies to have a big neon target painted on them. YMMV

I disagree. But, you know, personal taste and all that...

For me, if I’m playing some dark, foreboding game in a nasty hell-scape, I don’t want bright things Disneying up my environment.

Too dark is one thing, but decent semi-pseudo-natural lighting is perfect. I never needed my enemies to have a big neon target painted on them. YMMV

I thought we're talking strictly multiplayer here. You never needed them in the sense that you never needed bright traffic lights.

I thought we're talking strictly multiplayer here. You never needed them in the sense that you never needed bright traffic lights.

We are talking about multiplayer. I prefer a more natural appearance. Traffic lights being bright, and some form of warring factions situation where all the soldiers look like traffic lights is two different things. :p

That's not longer. The first game still take me about 20 hours on Nightmare. My first time through the game on Ultra Violence took me about 26 hours.

if the 2016 game took you longer then Eternal will be longer still...

if the 2016 game took you longer then Eternal will be longer still...
If that's the only thing he wanted to get across then he shouldn't have given a specific number to compare to.

By the way, where's your custom poof? You only had a limited amount of time to get one, and now it's gone. You'll need to find out if one of our admins has a brother now.

By the way, where's your custom poof? You only had a limited amount of time to get one, and now it's gone. You'll need to find out if one of our admins has a brother now.

I was wondering why it automatically changed to [H]ard as it Gets...I didn't realize there was a time limit...I thought I could just PM an admin at any time to change it to a Custom Title...I have a Custom title I want to use

Delayed to March 20, 2020.

upload_2019-10-8_10-37-48.png

giphy.gif

WellgroomedUnripeArgali-size_restricted.gif

I mean, it's good that they are delaying for extra polish.

This works out wonderfully for me since my gaming PC is stationed in AK. I only work from March to Oct. So, this works out well.

Now that's a pre-order bonus! Too bad 64 won't be released first to tide us over until Eternal comes out, but I would have purchased 64 regardless so this is nice too. Invasion mode sounds awesome as well.

I was really looking forward to playing this in November...oh well...I thought that Invasion Mode was always going to be free?...invading other players games sounds great- reminds me of Dark Souls

maybe RDR2 coming to PC in November scared them off...

Very disappointing news to be sure, since this was the main game I was looking forward to for 2019. but I am always down for a game getting more polish before release.

I was really looking forward to playing this in November...oh well...I thought that Invasion Mode was always going to be free?...invading other players games sounds great- reminds me of Dark Souls

maybe RDR2 coming to PC in November scared them off...
You know, with the sudden announcement of RDR2 and the proximity of the decision to push DOOM Eternal back does make me wonder if that was the reason. If it means the game will be less broken at release, then I'm still all for it.

I'm a little disappointed, but on the other hand, there is no shortage of games coming out this season. I also prefer a polished release. And then, last but not least, I sold my GTX-1070, and haven't decided on which card I'm getting to replace it yet. :D I have an internal debate about just getting something like a 2070Super now, then upgrading again as close the Cyberpunk as possible (in hopes that I can hold off for Ampere) or getting a 2080 or 2080Ti, and not doing that. I kind of want to go the 2070Super route, then wait for Ampere. Now at least I have a little time to decide, because none of the games I'm playing right now are taxing in the slightest. :D

Back