Doom Eternal

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by polonyc2, Jun 10, 2018.

1. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ardForum Junkie

Here's how Doom Eternal’s extra lives work

Marty Stratton, Doom Eternal’s executive producer, has explained how DOOM’s extra lives work....“It’s just like our checkpoint system...It’s just now you don’t have to go all the way back to the checkpoint and play back through that combat encounter...So if you’re almost to another checkpoint or you’re in a boss fight or something, your extra life, if you die, kicks in and the screen goes grey and you are invulnerable for a little bit...You can keep fighting, reposition yourself, and you’re right back in the action where you left off without losing any progress.”...

https://www.vg247.com/2018/08/15/doom-eternal-extra-lives/

Armenius and MavericK like this.
  2. KazeoHin

KazeoHin [H]ardness Supreme

So basically exactly as I predicted... I am the [H]ard prophet...

polonyc2 likes this.
  3. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

Thanks for the explanation, I wondered what was going on. Personally I still don't care for it and hope they leave it for Arcade mode. It is out of place in SP. Why build a story and characters, all the lore they were toting in the Reveal... and then break the suspension of belief with a 1UP? It doesn't fit in my opinion.

DedEmbryonicCe11 and mjz_5 like this.
  4. KazeoHin

Well, I mean, the original game had the exact same thing, just as a rune upgrade. I don't know why changing to a pickup is a stretch...

ApparitionG likes this.
  5. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't think the actual mechanic of it is a stretch. Having the big pulsing 1-Up does feel a touch out of place, but not the biggest deal in the world.

6. mjz_5

mjz_5 2[H]4U

I agree. It’s kills the beliefs for me as well

7. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

Agreed, not a deal breaker... but for me it was like getting yanked out of Doom into Mario Kart. It was jarring.

AlphaQup likes this.
  8. KazeoHin

Maybe they should replace it with something like a skull with angel wings or something, something less "gamey"? Because I get it, all the doom powerups, while not at ALL realistic, are at least consistently themed.

9. Frraksurred

Frraksurred 2[H]4U

Just a little story speculation if anyone is interested.

So at the end of Doom 2016...

Doom Guy acquires the Crucible and Hayden takes it from him. Specifically look at the hilt:

mq2nj6oneiky.jpg
    CrucibleW.jpg.5e58b84f7322ae19f98cdcf9953468b2.jpg

Now in the new footage of Doom Eternal shown off at Quakecon, Doom Guy has...

a new and different sword that resembles the Crucible, but is different. Devs have said in interviews, this is not the same sword, which is apparent from the metal hilt and barbed blade:

doom-eternal-crucible-blade.jpg
    crucible.png.4937c8860bffeba49a3328bc0deca1a9.png

So what is it?: The first Crucible resembles its hellish origin, but the second sword bears the Doom Slayer's mark.

I think there is going to be more to Doom Guy's lore than we may have expected.

EDIT: Interesting interview:

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    Ryan7968 likes this.
  10. AlphaQup

AlphaQup Limp Gawd

I saw the Eternal trailer right when it came out a few+ weeks ago, and immediately went home and started back in on a 100% play through of Doom 2016 that night. I just finished it this weekend again, and now I'm sad that I'm back to waiting for this to come out :(

SO pumped up for this game to release, I'm one who NEVER pre-orders, but damn, if I don't break my cardinal rule and pre-order it's still going to be a day one purchase for sure. Other then FC5, I haven't been this excited for a release in a long time.

Regarding the one ups... if they stay in the game I just won't pick them up. No crutches like that for me, either git gud and master the level or sit there banging my head on the wall until I figure it out :D. I didn't care for that gimmick of a rune in the last one either.

11. polonyc2

did you play at one of the higher difficulty settings?...I think maybe you might change your mind then :D

AlphaQup likes this.
  12. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

I finished it on the second hardest difficulty, died a couple of times but overall didn't find it particularly difficult. The grab/finish mechanic certainly makes it easier to stay alive when being swarmed.

Frraksurred likes this.
  13. Crowbar

Crowbar [H]Lite

I loved Doom (2016), but even on Nightmare Diff (not ultra-nightmare, well, because if you die before level finishes, it's gg) it felt a bit casual.
    Details here and there.
    Eternal looks good, just, as always with Doom, pure fps experience, but extra lives...Why go that casual? Just let newbies pick low diffs and that's all.
    I hope this stuff won't be implemented for higher diffs.

14. Armenius

Armenius I Drive Myself to the [H]ospital

A stray hit from an imp can kill you from 80 health on Nightmare.

I don't understand what the difference is between having extra life pickups and the Saving Throw relic. Saving Throw II gives you 2 extra lives that you carry around all the time. You don't have to pick the lives up, just like you don't have to use Saving Throw.

15. AlphaQup

AlphaQup Limp Gawd

I played on Ultra-Violence, or w/e the one right below Nightmare is, can't remember off the top of my head. It was challenging in some parts before getting the movement rune activated + maxed, but yeah, I can see how you'd definitely need that in Nightmare... totally didn't think of that.

Maybe I'll go struggle through Nightmare while I wait...

polonyc2 and Armenius like this.
  16. ghostwich

ghostwich [H]ard|Gawd

Arcade mode is interesting enough - the score streak stuff really pushes you into danger. At UV and higher it's pretty tough.

17. polonyc2

24 years later, speedrunner finds 'the last official secret' of Doom 2

According to John Romero, Doom speedrunner Zero Master has finally uncovered Doom 2's best-kept secret: a previously inaccessible sector found in the Industrial Zone map designed by Romero himself...this secret has technically been known for some time, but Zero Master was the first to obtain it without using any cheats...

https://www.pcgamer.com/24-years-later-speedrunner-finds-the-last-official-secret-of-doom-2/

Armenius and J3RK like this.
  18. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

As I mentioned before, lives or saves or whatever are fine. Not my favorite mechanic out of context, but whatever. I think the flashing one up is a bit much though. However the concept of lives in games dates back to the hardest of the hardcore games from early computers, consoles and arcade machines. You simply can’t refer to that as casual. It’s about as video game as it gets. That said, in the context of doom... it’s slightly odd. ;)

GoldenTiger likes this.
  19. polonyc2

DOOM 25th Anniversary trailer...

20. Blade-Runner

Blade-Runner 2[H]4U

That melee arm blade looks sweet!

AlphaQup and Armenius like this.
  21. Armenius

Too bad the actual game isn't releasing to celebrate the anniversary. I had a distinct feeling it was going to be at least a year from reveal to when we were going to see a release. The same thing happened with DOOM 2016.

J3RK likes this.
  22. Armenius

3 minutes of new gameplay from GDC presentation. I guess this slipped past the radar since it's buried in a 50-minute long video. It's played over Stadia with a controller, so nothing too exciting. Timestamp starts at 40:30 if it doesn't take you there. Rest of the video talks about engine changes between idTech6 and idTech7 if you're interested in that.

Travolta, Q-BZ, DrezKill and 3 others like this.
  23. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

I rather play killing floor 2

24. SOAREVERSOR

SOAREVERSOR Limp Gawd

Doom 2016 was amazing and this one looks better. Day one purchase.

dragon69, CAD4466HK, Travolta and 3 others like this.
  25. MavericK

MavericK Zero Cool

I don't know about all the jumping puzzle stuff, but I did enjoy the 2016 Doom a lot, so I'll definitely be picking this up at some point.

Travolta, Armenius and Lateralus like this.
  26. Armenius

Since Metroidvania is a thing I like to call it Primedoom. Doom 2016 actually has an awful lot in common with the Metroid Prime series.

DrezKill likes this.
  27. SOAREVERSOR

SOAREVERSOR Limp Gawd

I have faith in them, they earned it here.

dragon69, Q-BZ, DrezKill and 2 others like this.