Doom Eternal

This collector's edition is likely to be my second. First one was Duke Nukem Balls of Steel Edition.

I hope air control and double jump are available from the start. I am a twitchy Quake guy, I NEED my air control.

And dash. I like the dash. I played DeadCore recently it has the most amazing dash implementation ever. Doom needs to play like that.

Doom Eternal Collector's Edition- SteelBook case, 'Gift of Argent Power' lithograph, digital soundtracks, lore book and yes, a wearable Doomslayer helmet...also included is a Year 1 DLC pass, Demonic Slayer skin and Classic Weapons sound pack...

wearable Doomslayer helmet?...really?

MqKiJEm.jpg

IgXYPI7.jpg

Doom Eternal Collector's Edition- SteelBook case, 'Gift of Argent Power' lithograph, digital soundtracks, lore book and yes, a wearable Doomslayer helmet...also included is a Year 1 DLC pass, Demonic Slayer skin and Classic Weapons sound pack...

wearable Doomslayer helmet?...really?

View attachment 167029
View attachment 167030
"Wearable"
I bet it won't fit my fat ass head. My brain is too big to accommodate normal headware.

Multiplayer looked like garbage, but everything else looked great.

MP doesn't look that bad...

Introducing BATTLEMODE, DOOM Eternal’s brand-new 2 versus 1 multiplayer experience built from the ground up at id Software. A fully-armed DOOM Slayer faces off against two player-controlled demons, duking it out over three rounds of intense first-person combat...

I just don't understand what is so difficult about giving us classic FFA deathmatch. I hope that we're not constrained to the Halo 2-weapon loadout bullshit this time around.

First rule about collectibles is that if it's called a "collectible" it is not. Word "covetable" seems much more apt.

And what is up with the "playable" cassette tape? Sell me one it had damn well better be playable. And why cassette? Seems odd. With recent trends a vinyl record would be more appropriate. And an opportunity for some killer art work on the cover.

[edit]
Almost forgot the most burning question. Will there be another Super Turbo Turkey Puncher? Great fun saying that in rapid succession while standing in crowded elevators.

Last edited:
I don't get the excitement over collectors editions. All I been seeing about every game shown at E3 is how awesome and must buy the collectors edition is. You are paying good money for cheap Chinese crap. Sure looks cool at first but will just be stuck on a self. After 10 years it be stuffed in some box if not thrown out.

Preorder bonus includes 'DOOT' skin for the Revenant. Don't let your memes be dreams!

Hahaha...I had to look this up myself because I wasn't sure if it was a joke or not. That is great.

Would be funny to see him pop up in other devs' games. Call of Doot-y? :LOL:

Pretty cool that they're only going to be charging $49 for the Standard Edition.

id Software’s Marty Stratton confirmed that DOOM Eternal will support Ray Tracing. Now this caught us off guard as both NVIDIA and id Software have not announced anything yet about DOOM Eternal.

As Marty Stratton said when asked about RTX:

“RTX makes it look, you know, amazing. There are great benefits but it doesn’t necessarily expand our audience or that the way that the way that something like Stadia does so, but absolutely people can look forward to DOOM Eternal and id Tech 7 supporting ray tracing. Absolutely. I mean we love that stuff, the team loves it and I think we’ll do it better than anybody honestly.”

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/doom-eternal-will-support-ray-tracing/

ray-tracing is really taking off...seems like all the big upcoming games are supporting it...Nvidia needs to release their 2nd gen RT cards soon...

I don't get the excitement over collectors editions. All I been seeing about every game shown at E3 is how awesome and must buy the collectors edition is. You are paying good money for cheap Chinese crap. Sure looks cool at first but will just be stuck on a self. After 10 years it be stuffed in some box if not thrown out.

I take it you've never bought stupid things you like.

I still enjoy my Duke Nukem bust that I bought back in 2011. I paid good money for it even though I absolutely detest Gearbox/Randy

Duke-Nukem-Forever-Balls-of-Steel-Bust-Statue.jpg

Marty Stratton says the asymmetrical Battlemode is the only PVP multiplayer in Doom Eternal

https://archive.fo/3BJsX (IGN)

"No traditional multiplayer mode. Battlemode is our primary multiplayer mode," says Executive Producer Marty Stratton. "The cool thing about it is it’s ripped straight from Doom; it’s the combat players want and love, you’re familiar with the gameplay, playing as a Slayer."

Although Doom 2016's single player mode was fantastic, the team learned a lot from its not-particular-well-received multiplayer mode.

"When you look back to Doom 2016", says Stratton, "we kind of did something more traditional. Skill vs skill twitch vs twitch. It didn’t have any of the components of Doom that people loved from the campaign. It didn’t have the slayer or demons in a meaningful way. It just kind of fell flat so we really flipped the script on it and decided we need to develop this internally, we need to pull it from what Doom is all about, demons vs slayer."

"In 2016, we discovered we need to lead and not follow," continues Creative Director Hugo Martin. "In the single player, we lead. And we owned it, we made a Doom game, we didn’t necessarily care about the trends or anything. In the multiplayer, we took a little bit of this and a little bit of that and it became obvious to fans and obvious to us that’s not what we wanted to do. We developed Doom: Eternal's multiplayer internally and we really focused on making the best multiplayer possible. It feels like Doom but with our friends."

"Learned from our mistakes?" Sounds like you completely missed the primary reason why people didn't like the multiplayer in DOOM 2016.

I'm looking forward to the Doom Eternal MP. I loved playing Spy vs Merc in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, I loved teaming up with buddies in ME:3 MP for PVE, Overwatch custom games with 6v1 Boss battles are crazy fun.

I can pull out Q3 or QuakeLive anytime I need a real arena shooter. It's just as good and fun now as it was in 1999. I'm glad they're adding to their stable of MP games instead of re-hashing the same basic MP game over and over and over.

I'm looking forward to the Doom Eternal MP. I loved playing Spy vs Merc in Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow, I loved teaming up with buddies in ME:3 MP for PVE, Overwatch custom games with 6v1 Boss battles are crazy fun.

I can pull out Q3 or QuakeLive anytime I need a real arena shooter. It's just as good and fun now as it was in 1999. I'm glad they're adding to their stable of MP games instead of re-hashing the same basic MP game over and over and over.

Quake3a and ut2004 are still stable fps's on my machines

My problem with all these remakes the original quake and doom were claustphobic shooters while this new age stuff is out in the vast outdoors it doesn't have that same effect on the player. Mainly because the early games were developed on CRTs.

My problem with all these remakes the original quake and doom were claustphobic shooters while this new age stuff is out in the vast outdoors it doesn't have that same effect on the player. Mainly because the early games were developed on CRTs.
¿Qué?

I agree. While I liked 2017 Doom my favorite Doom to this day is Doom 3. I know a lot of purists didn't like it, but I loved that game and I am afraid they'll never make another Doom like that again. All this parkour jumping and sprinting around like someone on speed is okay, but it's not "Doom" to me.

I agree. While I liked 2017 Doom my favorite Doom to this day is Doom 3. I know a lot of purists didn't like it, but I loved that game and I am afraid they'll never make another Doom like that again. All this parkour jumping and sprinting around like someone on speed is okay, but it's not "Doom" to me.

I liked Doom 3 too. I thought it was very good, had the same creepy atmosphere that the original (PS1 version) had and hate that it doesn't get much love these days.

While I really enjoyed Doom 2016, I would like to see them go back more to the PS1 style. The creepy music really added a ton to the atmosphere and gave it a real horror game feel to it.

Doom 2016 was just walk into a room, set off a tripwire, heavy metal music begins, 8,000 demons come out of the woodwork. You kill them all, walk into the next room, set off a tripwire..... Rinse/repeat.

The original Doom had tripwires too but the demons were more spaced out and you were better off creeping around corners and slowly exploring rooms as opposed to just running from room to room, clearing out the hordes. To me, Doom 2016 along with the PC version was more like Call of Duty with demons whereas Doom 3 and the PS1 version were more like Dead Space. I prefer more of the horror feel and hope they do back to that with Eternal.

Doom 3 is still my favorite. I play it all the time. I mention this all the time... broken record... yada-yada... but the only other games to pull me into the world like Doom 3 would have to be the System Shocks, and MAYBE the original Unreal. I'm someone that can allow myself to get absorbed into a game world pretty easily, (even some 2D games like Ultimas for example) but Doom 3 and the SSes are THE three games that really did that to me more than any other. I'm actually almost due for another play actually.

That said, I really like any id game. I love Doom 2016. It's a bit different, but it's still pure Doom. I really hope they do make another like Doom 3 though someday. Even a different property, but in that style. Maybe make a real Quake V, but do it survival horror with System Shock style log file play, in the original Quake universe. The thing about the Quake Slipgate "lore" is that they could really create any sort of world they want and connect it to the Quake universe.

I liked Doom 3 too. I thought it was very good, had the same creepy atmosphere that the original (PS1 version) had and hate that it doesn't get much love these days.

While I really enjoyed Doom 2016, I would like to see them go back more to the PS1 style. The creepy music really added a ton to the atmosphere and gave it a real horror game feel to it.

Doom 2016 was just walk into a room, set off a tripwire, heavy metal music begins, 8,000 demons come out of the woodwork. You kill them all, walk into the next room, set off a tripwire..... Rinse/repeat.

The original Doom had tripwires too but the demons were more spaced out and you were better off creeping around corners and slowly exploring rooms as opposed to just running from room to room, clearing out the hordes. To me, Doom 2016 along with the PC version was more like Call of Duty with demons whereas Doom 3 and the PS1 version were more like Dead Space. I prefer more of the horror feel and hope they do back to that with Eternal.

Some good points there and I agree with much of it. While I thoroughly enjoyed Doom 2016 and would gladly play another one like it, I too am one of the proponents of Doom 3 and Doom for PS1 (and Dead Space, System Shock, etc...hell yeah!). I would not mind at ALL to see the next game turn a little more toward horror and away from action. For those concerned that it would make Doom too slow-paced, keep in mind that there is a ton of middle ground between something like Alien: Isolation where you kind of creep along and keep hiding, and something like Serious Sam where it's just nonstop blasting and moving.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy the more action-oriented entries in the series. I love them all! But that chilling feeling of terror and dread that you got with Doom 3 and Doom PSX really resonated well with me and I would be stoked to get another modern Doom that incorporated some of those elements.

To put it another way, Doom 3 is Alien and Doom 2016 is Aliens. I love both and watch them nearly every time they're on, but the two films have a distinctly different feel and I enjoy them separately for different reasons. Most enthusiasts of the franchise agree that Alien is more like a horror film with some action, while James Cameron took the action and excitement to 11 with Aliens and while it is unquestionably a great movie, I prefer Ridley Scott's original film in some ways.

Some good points there and I agree with much of it. While I thoroughly enjoyed Doom 2016 and would gladly play another one like it, I too am one of the proponents of Doom 3 and Doom for PS1 (and Dead Space, System Shock, etc...hell yeah!). I would not mind at ALL to see the next game turn a little more toward horror and away from action. For those concerned that it would make Doom too slow-paced, keep in mind that there is a ton of middle ground between something like Alien: Isolation where you kind of creep along and keep hiding, and something like Serious Sam where it's just nonstop blasting and moving.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy the more action-oriented entries in the series. I love them all! But that chilling feeling of terror and dread that you got with Doom 3 and Doom PSX really resonated well with me and I would be stoked to get another modern Doom that incorporated some of those elements.

To put it another way, Doom 3 is Alien and Doom 2016 is Aliens. I love both and watch them nearly every time they're on, but the two films have a distinctly different feel and I enjoy them separately for different reasons. Most enthusiasts of the franchise agree that Alien is more like a horror film with some action, while James Cameron took the action and excitement to 11 with Aliens and while it is unquestionably a great movie, I prefer Ridley Scott's original film in some ways.

So, as someone (probably one out of the three in the world) who absolutely loves Alien 3, bring on the Doom game that equates to that!!! ;)

(I'd also accept an Alien Covenant style game, which would be Doom 2016 meets the original Unreal with a touch of Dead Space.)

Reactions: Youn
like this

How far did you get in doom 1 & 2 ?

funny, the first big-ish mod I worked on back in those earlier doom/quake days was a continuation of alien 3, where you play as morse after he is impregnated by the doctors... definitely more cinematic, almost in the vien of those movie-games like Rain, La Noire and Manhunt in some ways, more stealth for sure but... the mod didn't get finished of course, just ended up being a 5 minute machinima on VHS which helped get me into film school... love Alien 3 for a few reasons, it was the most interesting and ripley just looked like a badass with that hair cut... really not a fan of alien 4

funny, the first big-ish mod I worked on back in those earlier doom/quake days was a continuation of alien 3, where you play as morse after he is impregnated by the doctors... definitely more cinematic, almost in the vien of those movie-games like Rain, La Noire and Manhunt in some ways, more stealth for sure but... the mod didn't get finished of course, just ended up being a 5 minute machinima on VHS which helped get me into film school... love Alien 3 for a few reasons, it was the most interesting and ripley just looked like a badass with that hair cut... really not a fan of alien 4

Agree! Nice idea for a mod too. I love the cast of Alien 3 too. Charles Dance, Danny Web, Brian Glover, etc. (I watch a lot of British TV / Movies, so I felt right at home there...) Charles Dutton was really good too. And yes, Ripley's haircut (y)

To put it another way, Doom 3 is Alien and Doom 2016 is Aliens.

This is the best analogy I have heard in regards to the difference between the two styles of Doom. I really go on a nostalgia trip when I think back to Doom 3. I mean shit that game is the first game I actually bought a graphics card for, and I think was the first PC I built more-or-less. It wasn't fully built... I bought a HP from Best Buy that had the new Athlon 64 in it and I upgraded the PSU and bought for over $550 a 6800GT which was super hard to find. I called so many places! I remember I was anxiously waiting for the release online of the initial benchmarks for all the latest cards, and once I saw the benchmark results I immediately jumped on the 6800GT.

Anyway, Doom 3 was such a impressive game at the time... the graphics and lighting were insane. I remember still to this day playing that leaked E3 demo from Doom 3 that wasn't in the final game just to see it was like. But just think back to the Doom 3 opening... you get to play with the new lighting in the arcade/lounge room and try the new interactive system for things in the environment like playing Super Turbo Turkey Puncher... lol. You get introduced to the game and the technology for the first 15 minutes or so... everything is going normally and then all hell breaks loose and you have to survive the hellish takeover of the Mars base. The one thing I absolutely loved about that game and I never forget is at the beginning when the invasion initially happens, I would stop and listen and in the distance maybe like a couple floors up you can hear other marines yelling things indistinctly and machine gun fire, and then at one point a grenade explodes... you get the feeling things are happening outside your immediate observable area. The sound design is just so fucking good. Also the thing I miss the absolute most from Doom 3 is the claustrophobic feeling... it FEELS like a Mars base... you know immediately outside the walls there is no oxygen and you get reminded of that when you have to take quick runs outside before your oxygen expires and the whole time you are having trouble breathing regardless of the amount of oxygen...

Anyway I could go on and on about Doom 3, but it really is what I think a Doom game should be... horror-ish, claustrophobic, and great weapons... that pump shotgun is so fucking satisfying. Also the sound the plasma gun makes when firing and especially reloading are so bad-ass.

This is the best analogy I have heard in regards to the difference between the two styles of Doom. I really go on a nostalgia trip when I think back to Doom 3. I mean shit that game is the first game I actually bought a graphics card for, and I think was the first PC I built more-or-less. It wasn't fully built... I bought a HP from Best Buy that had the new Athlon 64 in it and I upgraded the PSU and bought for over $550 a 6800GT which was super hard to find. I called so many places! I remember I was anxiously waiting for the release online of the initial benchmarks for all the latest cards, and once I saw the benchmark results I immediately jumped on the 6800GT.

Anyway, Doom 3 was such a impressive game at the time... the graphics and lighting were insane. I remember still to this day playing that leaked E3 demo from Doom 3 that wasn't in the final game just to see it was like. But just think back to the Doom 3 opening... you get to play with the new lighting in the arcade/lounge room and try the new interactive system for things in the environment like playing Super Turbo Turkey Puncher... lol. You get introduced to the game and the technology for the first 15 minutes or so... everything is going normally and then all hell breaks loose and you have to survive the hellish takeover of the Mars base. The one thing I absolutely loved about that game and I never forget is at the beginning when the invasion initially happens, I would stop and listen and in the distance maybe like a couple floors up you can hear other marines yelling things indistinctly and machine gun fire, and then at one point a grenade explodes... you get the feeling things are happening outside your immediate observable area. The sound design is just so fucking good. Also the thing I miss the absolute most from Doom 3 is the claustrophobic feeling... it FEELS like a Mars base... you know immediately outside the walls there is no oxygen and you get reminded of that when you have to take quick runs outside before your oxygen expires and the whole time you are having trouble breathing regardless of the amount of oxygen...

Anyway I could go on and on about Doom 3, but it really is what I think a Doom game should be... horror-ish, claustrophobic, and great weapons... that pump shotgun is so fucking satisfying. Also the sound the plasma gun makes when firing and especially reloading are so bad-ass.

I just have one thing to say to this. Yep.

The sounds of the guns in Doom 3 are fantastic. Absolutely loved the punchiness of the plasma rifle. I don't know if the damage was much more impressive than anything else, but I used it all time time just for the sound.

The sounds of the guns in Doom 3 are fantastic. Absolutely loved the punchiness of the plasma rifle. I don't know if the damage was much more impressive than anything else, but I used it all time time just for the sound.

When I play it, I like to go into the weapon definition files in the pak files, and tweak the weapons slightly. I do the hack to add the light-sourcing back to the plasma shots, and I also give bullets a bit more mass, and add a touch more knock-back to things like the shotgun. I don't tweak the damages too much, but I do increase them slightly for the shotgun, plasma rifle, and pistol to put them more in line with how they were in the old Doom games. I like to see imps get knocked around a bit more. It's REALLY easy to do, and just makes it feel a bit better.

Doom Eternal Trailer

Good God that looks glorious!!! I hadn't seen that trailer yet. I have a feeling this will be a day 1 buy for me. That's 3 this year so far. Rage 2, Borderlands 3 and now this!

2019 is gonna shape up as the best year for great single player shooters in a long time! Just when we were starting to feel neglected!

Back