Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Just read that they're putting in a classic Free for All Deathmatch mode, and putting in a way for players to set up their own game and invite players into. Sounds like MP will be where it should be pretty soon for a Doom game. I still wish it had real dedicated servers, so I could just pop one up for my friends to drop in or out of, but this is the next best thing.

Put in a bunch of time over the weekend. While the game is mindless fun, it really does feel like you're doing the same things over and over in the later levels. The first 4-5 stages are creatively arranged and use a lot of vertical elements, but the last few just feel like a bunch of arenas linked together by a couple corridors. I'm still enjoying myself (a lot), but I think they phoned many of the levels in.

Is there any sort of NG+? I've maxed out most of my weapons, but there are some challenges I'm too far along to complete. I've also missed some runes and at least one upgrade bot along the way.

Put in a bunch of time over the weekend. While the game is mindless fun, it really does feel like you're doing the same things over and over in the later levels. The first 4-5 stages are creatively arranged and use a lot of vertical elements, but the last few just feel like a bunch of arenas linked together by a couple corridors. I'm still enjoying myself (a lot), but I think they phoned many of the levels in.

Is there any sort of NG+? I've maxed out most of my weapons, but there are some challenges I'm too far along to complete. I've also missed some runes and at least one upgrade bot along the way.
No NG+, you can go back and play any of the levels at a higher difficulty and you keep all of your upgrades, etc.

It does get a bit same-y towards the end, even the sections in hell (this is not a real spoiler). And the biggest problem with the pacing of the game is that you'll get to a point where the hunt for upgrades/secrets leads to combing empty levels for them. Those parts were not especially fun. In some way I liked the rune challenges more - your success was linked to your performance as opposed to fighting with the map to find that one room or ledge you missed.

No NG+, you can go back and play any of the levels at a higher difficulty and you keep all of your upgrades, etc.

It does get a bit same-y towards the end, even the sections in hell (this is not a real spoiler). And the biggest problem with the pacing of the game is that you'll get to a point where the hunt for upgrades/secrets leads to combing empty levels for them. Those parts were not especially fun. In some way I liked the rune challenges more - your success was linked to your performance as opposed to fighting with the map to find that one room or ledge you missed.

That's close enough to NG+, so that works. With earlier levels I did a lot of exploring, but I've kinda stopped that. Like you mentioned, I don't feel like scouring empty levels. I'm only missing a couple runes, 1 level-up point, and 1 weapon upgrade bot, so I've hit most of the major points and am happy enough with that.
I'm on the next to last level, so I'll probably complete everything tonight. The rune challenges are fun. I also like the weapon challenges, too. They add a little pizzazz when you've killed the same 5-6 enemies hundreds of times. Being able to fire the super shotgun twice without reloading is worth whatever trouble that takes.

The last few hell chapters are definitely monotonous and start to grind one's patience. Mission 10 isn't bad, but mission 11 is really the worst as far as arena-type encounters go. The game is pretty much stellar up to the last mission, though, after which that feeling of monotony kicks you in the teeth. I nearly didn't finish the game because of the last mission.

The last few hell chapters are definitely monotonous and start to grind one's patience. Mission 10 isn't bad, but mission 11 is really the worst as far as arena-type encounters go. The game is pretty much stellar up to the last mission, though, after which that feeling of monotony kicks you in the teeth. I nearly didn't finish the game because of the last mission.
Yeah the balance got weird towards the end. Understandable at that point you've picked up enough weapons that it seems the only logical conclusion was to throw literally everything at you, at the same time. Each encounter was essentially that.

The boss fights too, a bit unbalanced in hindsight.

I'd agree with this to a degree. I was still thoroughly enjoying myself at the end, but yeah, it was pretty much a "bombard you with everything we have" sorta thing. But then, that's kind of how Doom has always been. Throw more barons of hell at em! That'll do it! :D Kind of expected in my opinion, but they could have thrown something new in, or changed the pace slightly, I'll agree with that, or maybe throw in some crazy last minute twist or mechanic. Overall though, for a Doom-franchise game, it really couldn't have been too much better. Definitely the shooter of the year for me.

I wish there were more boss encounters...or at least I wish the game would throw the Cyberdemon and Hellguard at you again rather than the same old waves of enemies over and over. That would have made the later levels less monotonous.
I had a fun time with it and am glad I bought it (on sale), but I feel the game could have been a AAA title people remember for years. Instead it was more of a "The Doom remake is surprisingly good and a fun return to the roots of the series."

I wish there were more boss encounters...or at least I wish the game would throw the Cyberdemon and Hellguard at you again rather than the same old waves of enemies over and over. That would have made the later levels less monotonous.
I had a fun time with it and am glad I bought it (on sale), but I feel the game could have been a AAA title people remember for years. Instead it was more of a "The Doom remake is surprisingly good and a fun return to the roots of the series."

That's a very fine line for a developer to walk. Look at the initial responses for Quake Champions. People bitched to no end that oh it was going to be a skill based hero shooter, until they realized it wasn't a key component to the play, and much of it seems to be optional.

My point is that, if you push too far into new territory with a beloved franchise, people bitch. Don't put enough new stuff in to modernize, people bitch. Doom 3 is a good example. I absolutely love the game, but more people hate it because they changed how the originals played. It's still every bit an id game, still gorgeous, moody, bloody, but they pushed more into System Shock territory and the action lovers didn't like it.

People like to bitch, and devs (especially ones that make a popular series or franchise) need to be VERY careful with how they treat that, or someone's going to cry.

that's an amazing deal...I would be all over it if I didn't just buy Dragon's Dogma...this might be the most unexpected good game of 2016...I thought id Software might have lost its mojo after their Supreme Leader left

Doom is freaking amazing!

Yeah $20 is a steal for this game.

As for the mechanics, context is also important. Doom (and to a degree, Wolfenstein New Order/Old Blood) is a throwback to a "classic" FPS which shuns the walking-down-a-hallway level design of CoD, as well as the feeling that you're a sidekick to the better and more capable character who is your wingman.

glad they lightened the color up.

with that said, It plays like and has the feeling of Unreal tournament/quake III arena. The cyber demon is in the underworld along with another animal. No. Thankfully the Cyberdemon fight is only against the cyberdemon (playing on Ultra-Violent).

if I can get Best Buy to price match then I'll use my BB Rewards card and get it for $19.99...I don't even think the next Steam sale will have it for that low of a price

Just wanted to say, reinstalled the Doom demo after hearing all this talk about Vulcan.

Vulcan works fine but the fps is a little more sporadic.

OpenGL on the other hand, WOW!!

Clearly some heavy optimization work has gone into the game recently.

Before I could only play on a mostly medium / couple of high settings and the FPS would fluctuate between 45-60 depends on what's going on.

Now, all settings on High at a constant 60 fps. (I think I saw it dip down to 58 a couple of times, tops)

Def much more interested in purchasing the game now!

The game definitely performs well. My 980 maxed things out at 60fps and I never really saw any drops. Even with a lot of enemies and effects, it was rock steady.
Whatever engine they're using could probably benefit lots of other games, too.

The ending was disappointing. I was like that's it? You kill the final boss and it cuts to a rather short cut scene with no closure.

I'm going to replay through the levels with the classic secret maps that I missed this weekend.

The game definitely performs well. My 980 maxed things out at 60fps and I never really saw any drops. Even with a lot of enemies and effects, it was rock steady.
Whatever engine they're using could probably benefit lots of other games, too.

id Tech 6.

Finally started playing but I think I'm too reckless. Do you ever level up to the point where you're just an unstoppable badass? I get carried away, and then right when I think I'm going to just stomp everyone, I die.

Running this on a Gigabyte GTX 1080 water with VRAM at 5700MHz and it's balls-to-the-wall.

Yeah you get pretty overpowered with the runes and stuff like the double-barrel shotty fully upgraded.

Finally started playing but I think I'm too reckless. Do you ever level up to the point where you're just an unstoppable badass? I get carried away, and then right when I think I'm going to just stomp everyone, I die.

Running this on a Gigabyte GTX 1080 water with VRAM at 5700MHz and it's balls-to-the-wall.
The game scales up expecting you to go after all the runes and upgrades. I was dying a lot when I had everything fully upgraded in the last mission of the game, even with the Saving Throw II rune. The enemy spawns are relentless at that point. This was on Ultra-Violence. I eventually had an easier time once I recognized the pattern of spawns, though.

Yeah you get pretty overpowered with the runes and stuff like the double-barrel shotty fully upgraded.

That became my bread and butter the instant I got it. A double shot up close does about as much damage as anything else and it stunlocks the larger enemies for a second or two as well.

For the later stages, I tended to just run in a large circle and stay constantly moving. I definitely died a few times in the later levels, but I don't necessarily think they were that much harder. I think they just turned into battles of attrition where the fights would drag and you'd be more likely to make a big mistake. I think I died via being insta-killed by Cacodemons I didn't notice as much as anything else. That or those invisible charging enemies in a small space.

Just finished the SP campaign, truly awesome! Took me 19 hours on ultra-violence although the runes definitely made it feel less challenging at times, especially the infinite ammo perk. Its a damn shame that Id totally dropped the ball on the MP side of things.

Just finished the SP campaign, truly awesome! Took me 19 hours on ultra-violence although the runes definitely made it feel less challenging at times, especially the infinite ammo perk. Its a damn shame that Id totally dropped the ball on the MP side of things.
I don't think they totally dropped the ball on the MP as it is loads of fun, but they did make the mistake of outsourcing it to a developer that only had experience in Halo-style console games.

I don't think they totally dropped the ball on the MP as it is loads of fun, but they did make the mistake of outsourcing it to a developer that only had experience in Halo-style console games.

There is virtually no one playing it, it doesn't even make it on to steam's stats of games with top player counts, which is a pretty convincing indicator that they did drop the ball, and significantly because of the fact that they outsourced it and probably because of internal design decisions emanating from Id itself, e.g. map $dlc, no server browser, match making, no community servers, low player cap, etc.

11.6 GB update: Arcade mode!

Doom's new 'Arcade Mode' is now live after latest update | PC Gamer

"Play every level with all guns, Runes and equipment upgrades fully unlocked. Customize your Doom Marine's gear, guns and Praetor suit before each run to see what combinations will give you an edge. Compete against friends and players worldwide for the highest score by attacking demons quickly, avoiding their attacks and grabbing multipliers along the way," Bethesda explained. "This is a perfect opportunity to replay one of the best single-player FPS experiences of 2016, and for the speed runners out there to make their mark."

Good on them for adding more value. No joke though, I uninstalled this game because the size got so massive and I barely played it enough to justify that kind of SSD space commitment.

Good on them for adding more value. No joke though, I uninstalled this game because the size got so massive and I barely played it enough to justify that kind of SSD space commitment.

that's why I still use a mechanical WD Black hard drive for most games...my SSD is only 256GB so I only install games on it that I think will benefit from it most...

MP is still crap I see. So much for "adding deathmatch" when it plays nothing like one. There's nothing to movement beyond ↑↓←→. And that stupid matchmaking system. FU id.

I hope don't fuck shit on the new Quake the same way.

Awesome adding a metagame to the campaign.

But I want MORE CAMPAIGN. Seriously. I'd pay top-dollar for a campaign DLC.

Same. I have no problems recommending this game for the SP if the price is right to people. MP is a nice bonus otherwise I really don't care.

Not sure if it's still on mid-week sale on Steam, but yesterday it was $29. Worth every cent of more than that IMO.

that's why I still use a mechanical WD Black hard drive for most games...my SSD is only 256GB so I only install games on it that I think will benefit from it most...

NOT FAST ENOUGH! :p

Actually I might consider a RAID 0 setup with Black drives or something.

OK fells, what is going on here? This is Mission 2 (Discover the cause) after I got to the surface. Happens in both Vulkan and OpenGL modes. The crap seems to be affected by the console and goes almost completely, but not entirely, when com_showPerformanceMetrics is set to anything between 0 (off) and 5 (all).

Is my 1070 busted?

20161022173207_1.jpg 20161022173208_2.jpg 20161022173228_1.jpg 20161022173332_1.jpg

OK fells, what is going on here? This is Mission 2 (Discover the cause) after I got to the surface. Happens in both Vulkan and OpenGL modes. The crap seems to be affected by the console and goes almost completely, but not entirely, when com_showPerformanceMetrics is set to anything between 0 (off) and 5 (all).

Is my 1070 busted?

View attachment 9305 View attachment 9306 View attachment 9307 View attachment 9308
Looks weird. Is this in Vulkan or DX11? How's the GPU load and temps? Latest drivers?

Is my 1070 busted?

View attachment 9305 View attachment 9306 View attachment 9307 View attachment 9308
have you looked at this yet?
Firmware Updates Available For GTX 1070 Memory Issues

Back