Doom 4 E3 reveal.

in that case you OCing it at all? if so drop the mem to stock, see if that helps. have you tried different visual settings? I sometimes get a weird shimmering checkerboard in some games with certain AO settings. maybe try setting everything to low, turn all extras off and see if it goes away. then start turning settings back up/on until it reappears.

Thanks. Something is wrong that monitor's projection.

Is Steam the best place to report it to id?

OK fells, what is going on here? This is Mission 2 (Discover the cause) after I got to the surface. Happens in both Vulkan and OpenGL modes. The crap seems to be affected by the console and goes almost completely, but not entirely, when com_showPerformanceMetrics is set to anything between 0 (off) and 5 (all).

Is my 1070 busted?

View attachment 9305 View attachment 9306 View attachment 9307 View attachment 9308
What driver are you using? 375.57 apparently had several issues including Doom, so try the 375.63 driver that was released yesterday if you haven't.

Reactions: dgz
like this
What driver are you using? 375.57 apparently had several issues including Doom, so try the 375.63 driver that was released yesterday if you haven't.
I used the 375.63 driver and had similar (but not identical) issues at that spot.

Last edited:
like this
I am using 373.06. Some artifacts seem to be affected by resolution and what not.

I was unpacking 375.57 when I noticed people complaining about them, so I decided to skip. Didn't realize there is 375.63. Will try.

This game is crashing on my xbox, which is odd. Luckily, it only ate my progress for one of the easier runes. This game is not quite as fun with a controller, though I am getting better at twin stick FPS.

Guys, I am having a blast with the SP. All the secrets and fights. I love it. But the real fun starts after you air-control and double jump. I die a lot, too. Fun.

I somewhat confused with Vulkan, though. It makes a huge difference on my 2500k/1070 but this performance boost disappears at 4k using DSR and it goes to measly 60 which I find unplayable. I mean performance is identical at 4k but not on 1080o. Any idea why?

Last edited:
Guys, I am having a blast with the SP. All the secrets and fights. I love it. But the real fun starts after you air-control and double jump. I die a lot, too. Fun.

I somewhat confused with Vulkan, though. It makes a huge difference on my 2500k/1070 but this performance boost disappears at 4k using DSR and it goes to measly 60 which I find unplayable. I mean performance is identical at 4k but not on 1080o. Any idea why?
You're more GPU-bound at higher resolutions.

like this
yeah over 4k/60 is asking a little much from your system. if you insist on 4k/60 you'll need to lower a few settings. or maybe try going a bit lower on the DSR, 1440p should be fine.

No, I am not interested in 60 fps. I think the engine plays a little bit too much with dynamic resolution. It doesn't look right maxed at 1080. Runs great at 120-170 fps, though.

Was just wondering why the Vulkan boost disappears completely at 4k.

No, I am not interested in 60 fps. I think the engine plays a little bit too much with dynamic resolution. It doesn't look right maxed at 1080. Runs great at 120-170 fps, though.

Was just wondering why the Vulkan boost disappears completely at 4k.
Because you become GPU-bound at those high resolutions. You're seeing more benefit at lower resolutions because the CPU is being utilized more and can better keep up with the video card's throughput, as the game is more CPU-bound at those lower resolutions. The pendulum swings the other way as resolution increases.

bottom line is your system is not powerful enough to do more than 60fps at 4k ultra settings, dsr or not. come to terms with that and lower your settings or res.

Because you become GPU-bound at those high resolutions. You're seeing more benefit at lower resolutions because the CPU is being utilized more and can better keep up with the video card's throughput, as the game is more CPU-bound at those lower resolutions. The pendulum swings the other way as resolution increases.

how does it scale with cores and frequency? which one is better. Asking with the next Quake in mind

Finally upgraded my PC and got around to playing Doom. Very impressed. Maybe because I haven't played a PC game at 60fps in a very long time if at all. In this case with my system at 1080p, can run Ultra with SMAAx1, no issues so far. Game is extremely addictive and couldn't' be happier with the fun i'm having!

I uninstalled it a few back since it was depressing to see all those unfinished games icons on my desktop.

I finished this one but didn't get 100% completion. I think I was around 80% though.

I uninstalled it because a) I didn't have much interest in replaying it or playing MP and b) every update it seemed like it ballooned another 5-10 GB.

I finished this one but didn't get 100% completion. I think I was around 80% though.

I uninstalled it because a) I didn't have much interest in replaying it or playing MP and b) every update it seemed like it ballooned another 5-10 GB.
Actually, this game I did finish; but only because it was 8 hours long..

Wasn't it like $20 on Steam over Black Friday?

if I know I'm not going to play it within the next few weeks/months I don't buy no matter how low the price is because I know the price will be even lower during the next Steam sale...and by that time I might be ready to play the game

I just saw where Bloodfall is the third and final MP DLC pack for DOOM. I can't believe there has not been any SP content like in the past!

Seriously, Doom MP is so boring IMO.

I enjoyed Doom 3's DLC Resurrection of Evil, was hoping something liike that for Doom(2016)

I don't think the game has been out long enough for them to have completed something on the scale of RoE while at the same time taking over development for MP to make the improvements they have. If there's an SP expansion, I'd say we'll be waiting a while longer.

Seriously, Doom MP is so boring IMO.

I enjoyed Doom 3's DLC Resurrection of Evil, was hoping something liike that for Doom(2016)
RoE was an expansion pack in the era before DLC.
I don't think the game has been out long enough for them to have completed something on the scale of RoE while at the same time taking over development for MP to make the improvements they have. If there's an SP expansion, I'd say we'll be waiting a while longer.
RoE released exactly 8 months after Doom 3. That timeframe will be next month for DOOM (2016). Of course, as you say, the core team has been working hard on the multiplayer component with this release. I think they will focus on making a full sequel instead of trying to do an expansion like RoE.

RoE was an expansion pack in the era before DLC.

RoE released exactly 8 months after Doom 3. That timeframe will be next month for DOOM (2016). Of course, as you say, the core team has been working hard on the multiplayer component with this release. I think they will focus on making a full sequel instead of trying to do an expansion like RoE.

While it's id and not Bethesda, I would imagine that if Bethesda deems an expansion DLC worthwhile, they might push for that a bit. I wouldn't rule out an SP expansion, though I agree that it shouldn't be counted on either. They're probably also shifting focus to work on Quake Champions, which I think is the smart move right now. (so maybe you're right actually, Doom sequel later...) id actually outsourced most of RoE if I remember correctly, and Quake IV was done by Raven, so I don't think they quite had the same level of demand on the primary studio that they do right now, which is likely another factor. I wouldn't mind seeing a third party Doom expansion from someone like Raven or other close studio. (though I don't think it's very likely either at the moment)

I just saw where Bloodfall is the third and final MP DLC pack for DOOM. I can't believe there has not been any SP content like in the past!

Anyone who wasted their money on the season pass must be kicking themselves, so bad it rivals some of the shittiest passes from the likes of WB and Ubisoft. An utter cancerous growth, hence why when publishers resort to those shenanigans I simply wait for the complete edition to be on sale for under $10.

Anyone who wasted their money on the season pass must be kicking themselves, so bad it rivals some of the shittiest passes from the likes of WB and Ubisoft. An utter cancerous growth, hence why when publishers resort to those shenanigans I simply wait for the complete edition to be on sale for under $10.
MP in DOOM 2016 can entirely be skipped. At least the DLC/season-pass stated it was going to be MP-only.

And a shitty MP at that. I can't believe there's no air control or strafe/circle jumping. I can't think of ANY other game in history where the SP offers more complex gameplay than the MP. It boggles the mind.

Rocket in the face? 60 damage. Say what?
Loadout no matter what.
Gimped movement....

An SP for pros, an MP for noobs.

Back