Doom 4 E3 reveal.

And a shitty MP at that. I can't believe there's no air control or strafe/circle jumping. I can't think of ANY other game in history where the SP offers more complex gameplay than the MP. It boggles the mind.

Rocket in the face? 60 damage. Say what?
Loadout no matter what.
Gimped movement....

An SP for pros, an MP for noobs.

So, tell me again which previous Doom game allowed these techniques.

It's Quake you're looking for.

And a shitty MP at that. I can't believe there's no air control or strafe/circle jumping. I can't think of ANY other game in history where the SP offers more complex gameplay than the MP. It boggles the mind.

Rocket in the face? 60 damage. Say what?
Loadout no matter what.
Gimped movement....

An SP for pros, an MP for noobs.
As said many times, the MP was outsourced to a studio that worked on Halo multiplayer. It was doomed from the start.

So, tell me again which previous Doom game allowed these techniques.

It's Quake you're looking for.

It's time for you to revisit Doom 3. It's got the Quake movement, except speed and acceleration values are a bit lower. Strafe jumping and rocket jumping are both there.

It's time for you to revisit Doom 3. It's got the Quake movement, except speed and acceleration values are a bit lower. Strafe jumping and rocket jumping are both there.

I played its MP maybe four times with some friends. It was ok, and I absolutely LOVE Doom 3 in general, but I definitely do not play it how I would play a Quake game. I still go to Q3A if I want that. (until Champions comes out anyway) Even though D3 had a bit of these movement features, that is not what it was based around. It's a slower moving survival horror type of thing more akin to System Shock. Sure you can use a bit of the old techniques, but that's really not going to net you all that much.

I played its MP maybe four times with some friends. It was ok, and I absolutely LOVE Doom 3 in general, but I definitely do not play it how I would play a Quake game. I still go to Q3A if I want that. (until Champions comes out anyway) Even though D3 had a bit of these movement features, that is not what it was based around. It's a slower moving survival horror type of thing more akin to System Shock. Sure you can use a bit of the old techniques, but that's really not going to net you all that much.

True. It's still there. I played quite a bit of MP, though Last Man Standing (COOP) was the best thing that ever happened to this game. Simply amazing.

True. It's still there. I played quite a bit of MP, though Last Man Standing (COOP) was the best thing that ever happened to this game. Simply amazing.

I still really would like to give that a try sometime. I just have less people to co-op with these days, and when we do find some time, it's usually newer games at this point.

Fianlly isntalled this new Doom for the first time last night. Just did a VideoCard upgrade GTX 1070 8GB G1, and Doom was on sale for $19.99, I am playing at 3840 x 21060 4Kres, on mainly Ultra / High settings, no AA, and the game plays very smooth, maybe a little hiccups and chop every once in a while, but 75% of the gameplay is smooth as butter.

But holy cow, this game is intense, WOW :) :) And it looks so gorgeous, the lighting effects and the areas with steam and shadows looks amazing. I am liking this game a lot, and I can't say that lately for PC gaming, I've been bored and burned out on first person shooters for years lately, just nothing released in a very long time that I could really get into, and like.

My system specs in my signature, it is mainly an older system, except the new VideoCard, and like I said, the game plays pretty darn smooth overall @ 4K Ultra, except some areas there's low frames and slow down, but mostly it's smoooooooth

I heard this game has CoOp is that true ? How many players can we play with ? Just two at once or three ? And is it true CoOp going through the single player campaign together ?

I heard this game has CoOp is that true ? How many players can we play with ? Just two at once or three ? And is it true CoOp going through the single player campaign together ?
No co-op, there is single-player (campaign) and multi-player (deathmatches and other modes).

Coop scenarios can be created in the Snapmap application. You can browse the community maps and find ones that people are playing, or get a group of your friends together. But there is no coop in the campaign.

But holy cow, this game is intense, WOW :) :) And it looks so gorgeous, the lighting effects and the areas with steam and shadows looks amazing. I am liking this game a lot, and I can't say that lately for PC gaming, I've been bored and burned out on first person shooters for years lately, just nothing released in a very long time that I could really get into, and like.

Bought this myself in the winter sale, waiting for a new GPU to max it out but your not making the wait easier :p

Where's CTF in Multiplayer ?

I just can't do team deathmatch in 2016, it feels so dated and lame. But CTF is just awesome, nothing beats Quake 2 CTF with the grappling hook, and totally insane gameplay, or even Q ]l[ jad some sweet CTF action.

Where's CTF in Multiplayer ?

I just can't do team deathmatch in 2016, it feels so dated and lame. But CTF is just awesome, nothing beats Quake 2 CTF with the grappling hook, and totally insane gameplay, or even Q ]l[ jad some sweet CTF action.
CTF is called Exodus. It was added in Free Update #2.

Is there a good player base for Doom CTF ? I would love it to be like the old Quake 2 CTF days, with servers full of players.
No idea. Haven't played it in more than a few months. Matchmaking usually makes the player base consolidate into team deathmatch as the player base shrinks.

Just finished this. I had gotten to the final boss months ago and kept dying for some reason. Got frustrated after several attempts, quit the game, and didn't go back for a while. Sometimes you just need a break I guess, because I fired the game up tonight and beat him on the 5th try or so. And that was after months of not playing. :p

Awesome game - I still can't believe how well it runs at 4K on my 980 Ti.

One more in the backlog knocked out!

Just finished this. I had gotten to the final boss months ago and kept dying for some reason. Got frustrated after several attempts, quit the game, and didn't go back for a while. Sometimes you just need a break I guess, because I fired the game up tonight and beat him on the 5th try or so. And that was after months of not playing. :p

Awesome game - I still can't believe how well it runs at 4K on my 980 Ti.

One more in the backlog knocked out!
The last boss is a weird one - there's an obvious pattern, and by the time you reach the end, you've got an arsenal of weapons. I struggled with it too, took a break, and came back to beat it on the first try back.

The bosses up to that point were a little bit more fair and interesting, the last one felt like a slog. And honestly the arenas where you had a ton of enemies to fight were a little more entertaining.

The last boss is a weird one - there's an obvious pattern, and by the time you reach the end, you've got an arsenal of weapons. I struggled with it too, took a break, and came back to beat it on the first try back.

The bosses up to that point were a little bit more fair and interesting, the last one felt like a slog. And honestly the arenas where you had a ton of enemies to fight were a little more entertaining.

Yeah - and I liked the fact that they stuck with a good old fashioned traditional boss battle even though it wasn't the most difficult thing in the world (I'm sure it might be tough on the highest difficulty settings).

I recently finished Dying Light and the game builds tension with the antagonist throughout the whole game...I was expecting a dramatic shootout with him at the end but instead it turned out to be a quicktime sequence. That was unexpected and a little unsatisfying, TBH. You sink a bunch of hours in the game, get all the way to the end to kick this guy's ass and then you beat him by hitting 5 or 6 keys at the right time when the screen prompts you. WTH?? Dying Light isn't the only game that's done this and left me feeling that way, but it's the most recent example I can think of.

In summary, yeah boss patterns and all that, but I was glad that Doom didn't wuss out with a QTE type battle. That would have been pretty disappointing.

Funnily enough, I found the regular shotgun with the double shot attachment to be the most effective weapon against the final boss when out of BFG ammo.

After all the ginormous update for the past few months, the game still crashed with a black screen at the end of Argent Energy Tower (after the countdown). Sigh. Luckily I managed to get through with Vulkan.

I was out of the country for 2.5 weeks so I missed the Steam Winter sale...will be picking this (and Titanfall 2) up during the next decent sale

after waiting and waiting...I finally decided to pick this up today- Amazon has it for $19.99...I have a few weeks to kill before Mass Effect Andromeda and The Ringed City (final DS3 DLC) hits so no better time then now to play

The only reason I have not picked this up is because I have too many games I can't play in front of my children as it is.

The only reason I have not picked this up is because I have too many games I can't play in front of my children as it is.
You're a good dad. I play whatever in front of my kid unless it has a ton of swearing, then I don't. Gore and all of that, I don't see the issue with.

But my son is also only 9 months old.... so he'll most likely not remember anything I've been playing, lol.

I know your pain, I can't play any fun games till atleast 9pm as that's when they are in bed and lunches are made for the next day lol.

Reactions: atom
like this
my copy of Doom arrived today!...finally!...been wanting to play this ever since I heard about how unexpectedly great it was...was also looking for a nice price drop and $19.99 was a nice deal...I have a 2 week window until Andromeda hits so the timing is perfect...time to see if the hype was worth it...

my copy of Doom arrived today!...finally!...been wanting to play this ever since I heard about how unexpectedly great it was...was also looking for a nice price drop and $19.99 was a nice deal...I have a 2 week window until Andromeda hits so the timing is perfect...time to see if the hype was worth it...
I hope you have been staying away from most reviews/gameplay... you really want to buckle in and enjoy the ride.

(Honestly, if there is one piece of advice I want to give you, it's do NOT feel the need to find every secret and backtrack. That's what killed some of the levels for me, the need to go back and find stuff. Save that kind of thing for a second play through.)

(Okay sorry, one more thing: play on Ultra-violence, not Hurt Me Plenty.)

(Honestly, if there is one piece of advice I want to give you, it's do NOT feel the need to find every secret and backtrack. That's what killed some of the levels for me, the need to go back and find stuff. Save that kind of thing for a second play through.)

that's going to be hard for me...I always like to take my time and explore everywhere during my 1st run...as far as staying away from reviews/gameplay I don' think I saw any spoilers and even if I did it's been months since I looked at it and forgot

Because I always suck at difficulty with these games, I always play on the easiest settings. I've been playing a lot of the campaign lately and I'm about 50% through. Its a badass game!

I cannot wait for them to VR enable this game. Started playing Doom 3 BFG in VR (there's a mod) and my pulse was pounding as soon as the first baddy came around a corner and received a shotgun blast hello.

Pretty sure it showed gains across the board. I picked it and didn’t go back (980 Ti).

was looking online and most Nvidia people are reporting minimal gains with Vulkan (with possible stuttering)...AMD owners are getting the most benefit...I'll give it a go with Vulkan and see what happens

started up the game...I think I spent the first 2 hours just researching some of the graphics settings and testing out Vulkan vs OpenGL...in the end I decided to go with OpenGL since I'm using a GTX 970...Vulkan doesn't offer any major performance improvements and since my fps is pretty much always close to 100 using OpenGL I figured it didn't matter...plus Vulkan doesn't offer any graphical improvements...I also went with the 'Gritty' Rendering Mode over the Default

finished the first level...some beautiful textures on the rocks...overall the game looks gorgeous...Id Tech 6 is a looker with none of the awful pop in from the early days of Rage...gameplay feels like classic Doom...I wish there was a way to toggle off 'always run' but oh well...I missed the secret map in the first level...hard to find all the secrets because the maps are a maze of tunnels and walkways...I can tell I'm going to like this game

was looking online and most Nvidia people are reporting minimal gains with Vulkan (with possible stuttering)...AMD owners are getting the most benefit...I'll give it a go with Vulkan and see what happens

Early on as usual (just like every new AMD product too) it was negative shit but they fixed it later with driver updates (the whole async kerfuffle) and you don't hear that. Because it's positive for AMD it's a negative for everything else somehow.

Back