Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Hmm... Got The Rich Get Richer on my second try with a controller. Only thing kicking my ass using a controller is the Ultra-Nightmare achievement. I gave up and did it with M+K, but I still want to try with a controller.

I'm not sure if that was the challenge or not, but a couple of them took a little while. The rest of the game was no problem though.

I got a tiny update yesterday that seemed to do nothing. Good to know that wasn't the scheduled update.

Due to life and things getting extra busy I had to put all gaming on hold for a while ... until tonight finally... got to Doom it out a bit more... The Rich Get Richer, that mother trucker of a challenge.. lol. I am pretty sure the neighbors heard me yelling... Finally beat it though.
Is that the one where you have do a from-above glory kill on like 10 hell knights in 10 seconds?

Is that the one where you have do a from-above glory kill on like 10 hell knights in 10 seconds?
Kill 14 enemies with the rocket launcher with 35 rockets and no resource pickups available.

*phew*

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with this one. It gives you remote detonation so you don't need to constantly get direct hits.

Huh. I don't remember that one being especially hard.

That's definitely not the one I'm thinking of. The one that I had trouble with on the gamepad was one of the kill XX amount of imps or zombies or whatever, but they were spread out all over the place. With the mouse I could cut corners, rotate in the air, etc. much more easily to shave time off. With the pad it was definitely possible, but one little screw-up like getting stuck on a corner or something meant doing it over. Not agonizing, but definitely enough to make me shout an expletive or three. :D After a couple of close fails, I just grabbed the M+K that was already a few feet away, and trotted right through it. (there were a couple of challenges that were similar to this...)

Kill 14 enemies with the rocket launcher with 35 rockets and no resource pickups available.

*phew*

I don't understand why people have such a hard time with this one. It gives you remote detonation so you don't need to constantly get direct hits.

Ah I didn't use the remote detonation. Honestly I kind of had to relearn how to play the game last night having not played in 3 weeks or something. I hadn't had too much trouble with any of the challenges until that one. It was all the rebounding damage from my rocket blasts that was killing me.

Ive been playing the game on ultraviolence on my media centre PC with a 360 pad and thats a bit of a challenge. Beat the game on nightmare using KBM

You still can't remap the Tab (Map) key in spite of them saying they were adding that function. If you add it manually, you can't seem to get out of it without mashing keys like mad and hoping it eventually works.

I get better performance from this new patch. Before 1.04 the high texture cache was too slow on my GTX 960 2GB card, but now I get a solid 70-80FPS (same as I got on medium before) on 1080p high

Last edited:
After playing this Doom (2016), I'm kinda miss the shadows of the old Doom 3. The shadow cast by muzzle flash, explosion, moving lights, etc. Back in the old days, lighting and shadows sell.

There's fire in the game that doesn't cast shadow... awkward. Heck even Doomguy's shadow is missing when he's standing next to a fire. The only shadow is a light patch.

Anyone else miss the shadows?

EDIT: Doomguy is probably a ghost. The mirror reflects nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: N4CR
like this
Too much shit is going on for me to notice the lack of shadows lol.

Anybody else have problems with CTD playing through Titan's Realm? Twice now today I have CTD from just that level alone, no other levels.

Just started to replay on nightmare. I doubt I'll be doing the challenges. This shit is hard. XD

Guys i'm stuck and think it's a bug. My game crashed after I killed all the enemies in this level but before i passed through the green warp portal thing. Now when i reload the gate is closed and I can't get in. Here's a video of the place i'm talking about and the green thing I'm trying to enter.

I've tried reloading the check point and it doesn't help. Any ideas?

Could be. I got stuck in an earlier part of Hell where an enemy was supposed to spawn so I could kill it and trigger a gate to open, but it never did. Ended up restarting the checkpoint and then it worked fine.

Played a little of the demo. It's surprisingly playable on the NUC.

27" IPS 1440p gsync with this game over 100hz is so awesome

Is that the peak or your average? Looking for solid 120 Hz at 1080p. Planning to get a 1070 when they materialize

Is that the peak or your average? Looking for solid 120 Hz at 1080p. Planning to get a 1070 when they materialize

I have not measured in logs it but will when I have a session later but I'd say it ranges from 80-120. Most times in upper 90s bouncing up or a bit over 100. All settings maxed.

Finished it today. What a wild ride. Can't wait to see what they do next. Quake? It has been a while since I played a game that is so completely ingrossing from a pure gameplay perspective. High times for PC gaming!

The gameplay experience is closest to Quake 3 Arena. It requires the same skillset. But it also has a Metroid Prime type of verticality with the double jump, and even at times felt like a horror adventure. I clapped after the final battle. Felt like a triumph for old school gaming. I hope they make a shit ton of money and make more content and hopefully Quake. I guess Carmack leaving wasn't so bad afterall.

Yep, I finished it over the holiday weekend. I just hope we don't have to wait another 12 years until Doom 5! :arghh:

Just as long as they never revisit the gameplay of Doom 3 I'll be happy.This game feels like the old ones. That felt like another franchise that got rebranded. Either that or (like id is known to do), the engine dictated the game.

I would love a new Doom 3 style Doom. I love the new one, it's incredibly fun, but i also very much like the Doom 3 style also. Maybe some hybrid of the two. Fast pace like the new one, but with some horror style play. I'd be just fine with more of the new one though.

I'll have to check it out tonight. The algorithm for alpha may be too aggressive.
Following up. Yes, I do notice the difference in reflections. SMAA 1x looks arguably better than TSAAA 8x to me, anyway.
I get better performance from this new patch. Before 1.04 the high texture cache was too slow on my GTX 960 2GB card, but now I get a solid 70-80FPS (same as I got on medium before) on 1080p high
I'm actually getting lower framerates after the patch, but the game feels smoother. VRAM usage also went down for me using Nightmare paging size, from 5.2GB to 4.8GB.
Finished it today. What a wild ride. Can't wait to see what they do next. Quake? It has been a while since I played a game that is so completely ingrossing from a pure gameplay perspective. High times for PC gaming!

The gameplay experience is closest to Quake 3 Arena. It requires the same skillset. But it also has a Metroid Prime type of verticality with the double jump, and even at times felt like a horror adventure. I clapped after the final battle. Felt like a triumph for old school gaming. I hope they make a shit ton of money and make more content and hopefully Quake. I guess Carmack leaving wasn't so bad afterall.
Happy to see others recognizing the Metroid Prime influence. About 1/3 of the way through my first playthrough that feeling hit me like a truck and made me smile.

I wish you hadn't mentioned this. Looks like TSSAA blends things so well it gets rid of almost all reflections.

After playing through a bit with SMAA, I think I'll still stick to TSAA since it looks better anyway. As nice as the reflections are, its a bit overdone and actually ends up looking worse overall with all the weird reflection aliasing. Even standing and seeing the breathing animation move the reflections on the gun model looked like a firework display on acid.

I do wish we could see what those effects look like with TSSAA enabled.

Last edited:
The cyberdemon is a pussy little bitch who didn't hit me once and was piss easy

The Vulkan patch is live.

Plus driver from AMD. "Support for DOOM (with Vulkan API) – enables performance enhancements through support for Async Compute and Shader Intrinsics."

IqmDODY.jpg

Reactions: DPI
like this
Have you tested the performance difference?

Also, is this supported on the N side of the fence?

Well, the update doesn't apply to me, as I'm running GTX 960 2GB on Windows 7. Not that I'm currently having performance issues, but it would be nice to test out.

Vulkan support in a major AAA is a pretty BFD. There's a bigger picture here. It's about the first big step in ending MS's stranglehold on PC gaming.

Even if Vulkan performance on early titles is on par with, or within +/- 10% of D3D12, it's still a huge win.

Vulkan = one open API for multiple versions of multiple platforms (Windows 7, 8.1, 10, Linux, SteamOS, Android).
DX12 = one walled API for one version of one platform (Windows 10)

Most importantly, improvements to the Vulkan API can happen as they're ready, rather than being held back by corporate marketing departments and politics and tied to major releases of Windows.

Back