Doom 4 E3 reveal.

I went on SnapMap and took a look...seems as though there are some co-op horde mode maps and some SP content so far. Haven't tried much of it because I want to finish the SP first.

I don't know how robust it is, but I can see a lot of value in community content if people really get into it.

I am using a 60 inch Plasma myself and this game is pretty epic. The 55 inch 4k OLED is better because you can sit closer with that high resolution. You could really get close to the screen. At 1080p you need to be like 10 feet away for the resolution to come together properly. I am looking forward to more OLED displays. I think Pansonic. Do you have any image retention issues with your OLED?

Just completed it and thoroughly enjoyed every moment from start to finish. Excellent throwback to the glory days of FPS PC gaming of the late 90's to early 00's. They took what made those games great, mixed in a some modernization and then condensed that into 15 hours of raw fun.

I see many players who beat it saying "I didn't want it to end", and I felt the same way. The DLC for this game should have been focused on adding more SP content. The game does offer replayability for players who want to find all the secrets/test higher difficulties or just do some mindless fragging; this game is pretty much the best in class mindless fps shooter at the moment.

What are some of your favorite levels in this game?

Mine were:
Foundry: Beautiful and very large level, didn't feel like an arena at all. Lots of stuff going on and to discover.

Krangir Sanctum: I was completely awed when I reached this level, just like I was with the hell level in Doom 3. Beautiful level, favorite part by far was the first encounter with the Baron of Hell in a wide, open setting, only to get attacked by several more after taking down the first one. Actually felt kinda sad when I had to go back to Mars again.

Crucible: Short but a great level. An amazing atmosphere with a gray sky and some visually very pleasing environments. Lots of good fights here. This level felt natural, without the feeling of being forced into one arena after another.

My least favorite level was Titan's Realm. A hell level should feel grand, open and breathtaking. This level, except for the starting area felt like a collection of rooms connected together, it was literally one arena after another. It felt kinda like filler, as if something was needed to increase the length of the game.

What are some of your favorite levels in this game?

Mine were:
Foundry: Beautiful and very large level, didn't feel like an arena at all. Lots of stuff going on and to discover.

Krangir Sanctum: I was completely awed when I reached this level, just like I was with the hell level in Doom 3. Beautiful level, favorite part by far was the first encounter with the Baron of Hell in a wide, open setting, only to get attacked by several more after taking down the first one. Actually felt kinda sad when I had to go back to Mars again.

Crucible: Short but a great level. An amazing atmosphere with a gray sky and some visually very pleasing environments. Lots of good fights here. This level felt natural, without the feeling of being forced into one arena after another.

My least favorite level was Titan's Realm. A hell level should feel grand, open and breathtaking. This level, except for the starting area felt like a collection of rooms connected together, it was literally one arena after another. It felt kinda like filler, as if something was needed to increase the length of the game.

I haven't made it to the last one yet, but I agree on all the others exactly! Oh, and:

Olivia's Lab (can't remember the exact name) but I really liked the aesthetic in there.

So anyone that has played different difficulty levels...are there just harder enemies that do more damage? Or do they actually add more enemies / more powerful enemies to different areas?

So anyone that has played different difficulty levels...are there just harder enemies that do more damage? Or do they actually add more enemies / more powerful enemies to different areas?

Just on default here. Playing with a gamepad right now in the living room, and didn't think it was wise to put it up higher. I'll definitely give the harder modes a whirl when my desktop is back in one piece. (waiting for a 1070 and put the 970 in the living room PC...) The difficulty for default is pretty spot on for a gamepad though.

Being able to replay previous levels without needing to finish all the levels first is something every game should have. Very nice feature.

edit: Just got the super smooth "crash to desktop" in Foundry (Level 3). It doesn't actually crash (no logged errors) but it just bails and exits. Probably an internal game assertion calls exit().

Last edited:
Just on default here. Playing with a gamepad right now in the living room, and didn't think it was wise to put it up higher. I'll definitely give the harder modes a whirl when my desktop is back in one piece. (waiting for a 1070 and put the 970 in the living room PC...) The difficulty for default is pretty spot on for a gamepad though.

There is absolutely no way you could play this game on ultra violence or higher with a gamepad. It would be impossible.

To answer the earlier question - No, they don't add more enemies, you just take more damage. That being said; After the first couple of levels the game turns into Doom 2 style bullet-hell enemy infestation anyways.

Like I said, console vermin. Now that you mention it, the multiplayer experience is exactly like Halo, and I expect on a console it's not as frustrating. At least, it wasn't in Halo.

I guess multiplayer is more of a Quake thing than Doom, but still, I hate that they phoned in the multiplayer component of a game that deserves so much better. Maybe they'll make a Quake 5 that focuses on that, a la Unreal Tournament 4.

What exactly is bad with the MP? The MP is *nothing* like Halo. The only 'CoD'/'Halo' esque thing they added was the demon transformation power up. I'm having an absolute blast with the MP, and i'm generally owning everyone and maintaining a 4:1 K/D ratio because of how shitty most players are. As someone who has played tens of thousands of hours of Q3A and UT2k1 i'm having a blast with this game's MP component. Literally the only downside is that stupid demon transformation which is just an easy mode switch for whomever picks it up. That and not being able to turn while keeping full momentum in the opposite direction while mid-jump would be my only gripes here. The game has a fairly high skill ceiling, and i'd hope i'm an accurate judge as someone who used to train with players like garpy in HLDM.

Keep in mind that during alpha/beta the MP had serious issues and felt like CoD. The retail release of the MP component is totally different from the crap I experienced during alpha/beta.

Is the MP as good as this -

No, but i'd say it's better then just about anything released on the PC in the past decade. In fact in my mind it's been about 12 years since a decent MP FPS. (UT2k4) We've FINALLY gotten a AAA title to break the CoD/HALO bullshit trend of health regen and generally slow cumbersome movement. It's not perfect, but it's finally moving back in the /right/ direction.

Last edited:
What exactly is bad with the MP? The MP is *nothing* like Halo. The only 'CoD'/'Halo' esque thing they added was the demon transformation power up. I'm having an absolute blast with the MP, and i'm generally owning everyone and maintaining a 4:1 K/D ratio because of how shitty most players are. As someone who has played tens of thousands of hours of Q3A and UT2k1 i'm having a blast with this game's MP component. Literally the only downside is that stupid demon transformation which is just an easy mode switch for whomever picks it up. That and not being able to turn while keeping full momentum in the opposite direction while mid-jump would be my only gripes here. The game has a fairly high skill ceiling, and i'd hope i'm an accurate judge as someone who used to train with players like garpy in HLDM.

Keep in mind that during alpha/beta the MP had serious issues and felt like CoD. The retail release of the MP component is totally different from the crap I experienced during alpha/beta.

Is the MP as good as this -

No, but i'd say it's better then just about anything released on the PC in the past decade. In fact in my mind it's been about 12 years since a decent MP FPS. (UT2k4) We've FINALLY gotten a AAA title to break the CoD/HALO bullshit trend of health regen and generally slow cumbersome movement. It's not perfect, but it's finally moving back in the /right/ direction.

It's mostly the meta-game, not the game itself. I have no idea who Garpy is. Am I supposed to be impressed that you name-dropped him?

The game has a lot in common with Halo, or even worse, Call of Duty. For instance, the fact that the weapons are not just out in the level to find. You have to customize a "loadout" before the match starts, so you're committed to just two weapons for the whole match. Also, the idea of "XP." You have to grind at least a few "levels" initially in order to get access to the weapons that don't PUNISH you for missing. Finally, there's no server browser. You're stuck playing with whoever the matchmaking service decides to stick you with. In all of these ways, the game has a lot in common with Halo, even if it's faster, and looks like what id would have made in 1994 if they had 2016 hardware to run it on.

Oh yeah, one more thing. There's no fucking deathmatch mode! Whose stupid fucking idea was it to leave out regular vanilla deathmatch? Not like that's been a feature of FPSes since... id invented it with Quake.

You are not committed to two weapons the whole match. You can change what weapons you want anytime you die.

I do agree about the weapons unlocking. However - All the weapons unlock quite fast. It's not like CoD or other games where you have to play for a significant period of time to unlock everything. With minimal time spent (A couple hours) you unlock all the weapons, and then every 'unlock' from that point on is nothing more then a visual customization of your character.

You are correct; There is no server browser. However, i'm a realist and never expected it. It's still at least better then CoD as clients aren't hosted P2P.

No arguments on the lack of deathmatch mode. I have an itching feeling it will likely be added for free though soon.

None of these issues you mentioned are game breakers. The game ultimately has a high skill ceiling w/ good player movement, excellent map design, no health regen, etc. Complaining about unlocks just shows how little you've played the MP component as the only unlocks that matter are unlocked with under 2 hours of playing. The rest is only there for visual effect only w/ no impact on gameplay.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way you could play this game on ultra violence or higher with a gamepad. It would be impossible.

I started playing it on Ultra Violence with a gamepad. :p I'm not real far yet though.

How the fuck do you access the codex in the fucking game? When it comes up it shows none, as if it is unbound, and I see no way to rebind the key, because it is not present in the menu. Also I set use equipment to enter, and now when I press enter in the menu to resume the game, I will automatically use the selected equipment in game right away. I mean c'mon these are childish mistakes that a 2 year old tester should've caught.

So it is a bug in the game. The codex is bound by default to the TAB key, and it can't be changed. But you can bind the TAB key to any other option. And if you do you're fucked. You need to reset bindings to defaults to get it back, and be sure not to use TAB for anything. Stupid stupid oversight.

As I play the game. I realized this is not Doom. It doesn't play and it doesn't feel like doom at all. It feels exactly like Quake2 the weapons, the gameplay, the environments, the missions, all. Which is not bad, but I'd call it Quake 2 Remastered.

Damn this game uses more ram then gta v or division how come? its just like any other fps the maps arent that big compared to outdoor games like gta division, witcher etc.... but its fun so far the gamplay is fast and gory.

How the fuck do you access the codex in the fucking game? When it comes up it shows none, as if it is unbound, and I see no way to rebind the key, because it is not present in the menu. Also I set use equipment to enter, and now when I press enter in the menu to resume the game, I will automatically use the selected equipment in game right away. I mean c'mon these are childish mistakes that a 2 year old tester should've caught.

So it is a bug in the game. The codex is bound by default to the TAB key, and it can't be changed. But you can bind the TAB key to any other option. And if you do you're fucked. You need to reset bindings to defaults to get it back, and be sure not to use TAB for anything. Stupid stupid oversight.

Just like Wolfenstein New Order/Old Blood, the rebinding of keys is a bit of a mess. To get around a bug like this I ended up editing the cfg files (Wolfenstein: The New Order | PCGamingWiki).

I might have to do the same w/ DOOM, but it's not like, enjoyable to hunt for what to change.

Oh, also, I went into SnapMap wanting to at least see what was going on but all three modes use different keybinds! Not to mention the in-game map is stuck on WSAD. And so on.

You are not committed to two weapons the whole match. You can change what weapons you want anytime you die.

I do agree about the weapons unlocking. However - All the weapons unlock quite fast. It's not like CoD or other games where you have to play for a significant period of time to unlock everything. With minimal time spent (A couple hours) you unlock all the weapons, and then every 'unlock' from that point on is nothing more then a visual customization of your character.

You are correct; There is no server browser. However, i'm a realist and never expected it. It's still at least better then CoD as clients aren't hosted P2P.

No arguments on the lack of deathmatch mode. I have an itching feeling it will likely be added for free though soon.

None of these issues you mentioned are game breakers. The game ultimately has a high skill ceiling w/ good player movement, excellent map design, no health regen, etc. Complaining about unlocks just shows how little you've played the MP component as the only unlocks that matter are unlocked with under 2 hours of playing. The rest is only there for visual effect only w/ no impact on gameplay.
No, they don't, but this is the rot that has infected all of online gaming ever since the last console generation. It's why RazorWind used the phrase "console vermin." The multiplayer isn't broken, but it is not all it should or could be due to the malaise of console gaming.

And just FYI: I automatically value anyone's opinion less if they drop their K-D ratio into the discussion. Nothing against you, but it's a meaningless number that never adds anything of value to the discussion. It's like walking into a board meeting and whipping your dick out onto the conference table.

This game is so awesome, so glad I bought it. Freaking Nightmare is just that though, a Nightmare. I am so reluctant to smash the gore things every time. Have to replay each of those a few times, most of the time.

I keep forgetting to use the chainsaw when things get wild so I changed its binding to what I normally use for grenades. The chainsaw is instakill on the biggest guys even.

I keep forgetting to use the chainsaw when things get wild so I changed its binding to what I normally use for grenades. The chainsaw is instakill on the biggest guys even.

Yeah, I changed Switch Weapon Mod to Mouse 4 and Chainsaw to Mouse 5. I kept hitting R on accident thinking I needed to reload...

Yeah, I changed Switch Weapon Mod to Mouse 4 and Chainsaw to Mouse 5. I kept hitting R on accident thinking I needed to reload...
I was able to kick the reload habit quite easily* but I was initially annoyed at grenades so I bound that key to chainsaw and I'm essentially the human grenade, tossing myself at a group of enemies and popping out the chainsaw.

* was I dreaming up a FPS game that penalized early reloads, i.e. losing the rest of the magazine if you took one or two shots and then reloaded?

Hardest difficulty setting? For me the first room would be full of tombstones.

I very nearly made it through UAC last night, but I got hit by a stray bullet while searching for the last guy in the last area :cry:. This was my first run, though, that I wanted to try at the end of the night. Still working on my first playthrough (just got through Mission 6).

I updated my original post with descriptions of where the secret levels are, if anyone is interested. Now through Mission 6. I'm proud that I have yet needed to look up a guide for these :cool:.

Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Pinging MavericK ;).

I updated my original post with descriptions of where the secret levels are, if anyone is interested. Now through Mission 6. I'm proud that I have yet needed to look up a guide for these :cool:.

Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Pinging MavericK ;).

Awesome! I'm going to try to find some of them on my own first but great to know this guide is here. I need to go back through the first levels and try a bit harder. I think I'm on level 4 now (haven't gotten to play the last week or so) and I tried for a long time to find that one, to my frustration.

You guys getting surround sound to work? I've beat the internet to death searching for a fix. I finally posted on the steam Doom thread that I found a potential fix an I could not get surround sound on my X-fi card using Dolby Digital on Windows 10. I also started getting bad CTD's. I fixed it by enabling DTS-neo PC and running Optical out to my AVR, 5.1 surround now works. I thought it was all good, but I started getting CTD's again....Damn

You guys getting surround sound to work? I've beat the internet to death searching for a fix. I finally posted on the steam Doom thread that I found a potential fix an I could not get surround sound on my X-fi card using Dolby Digital on Windows 10. I also started getting bad CTD's. I fixed it by enabling DTS-neo PC and running Optical out to my AVR, 5.1 surround now works. I thought it was all good, but I started getting CTD's again....Damn
Surround works perfectly for me. 6-channel direct hooked up to Logitech Z-5500 speakers through an internal Sound Blaster Zx sound card. Some games you have to turn the global quality setting down to 44.1 kHz to get surround working, so if you have it set to 48 or 96 kHz I would try that.

Surround works perfectly for me. 6-channel direct hooked up to Logitech Z-5500 speakers through an internal Sound Blaster Zx sound card. Some games you have to turn the global quality setting down to 44.1 kHz to get surround working, so if you have it set to 48 or 96 kHz I would try that.

Are you using any encoder? Like DD or DTS?

Are you using any encoder? Like DD or DTS?
No, 6-channel direct is analog. You only need an encoder if you're feeding sound from a compressed digital bitstream like over a TOSLINK/optical connection to get surround sound. It's an option with HDMI, but you should be using linear PCM if you're feeding audio over HDMI.

No, 6-channel direct is analog. You only need an encoder if you're feeding sound from a compressed digital bitstream like over a TOSLINK/optical connection to get surround sound. It's an option with HDMI, but you should be using linear PCM if you're feeding audio over HDMI.

Yeah, I knew that. I just didn't read your post entirely. Sorry. U are right though about the sample rate, as I have read this fix on other forums. setting it to 44.1 does get me surround via DTS, but I can't get 5.1 via DD. I've got a X-fi Titanium card which I love because of all the outputs. I use the 3.5mm outs because I roll with a razer Tiamat 7.1 headset, and I use toslink out to a Denon AVR. Thanks for the replies

I got DD working now. sample rate was reset. back at 44.1...Doom now has surround! Thanks fellas

Last edited:
I beated the game 1 hour ago.

What a good game!

I give this game a 9.9 / 10

Congrats to the dev.

The MP is growing on me but I think its more unlocking Hot Metallic Pink Skins over the actual gameplay...

True story...

I was going to hold off on buying this game... because I've got Fallout 4 and Battlefield 4 to play for a while and I can wait for a price drop.

My Fiance demanded I buy it so she could play it, then later challenge me to deathmatch. I'm not sure how deathmatch will workout with a modern shooter like this (is there LAN play?), but I'm sure it will end with with her raising my flag one way or another. For both of us, the original Doom was one of our first shooter games on PC. I fall more in love with this woman everyday.

Downloading now.

Last edited:
Back