Doom 4 E3 reveal.

For the life of me, I can't find any of the secret levels. How do you go about finding them? And does anyone know how many secret levels there are?

I haven't found any either, but they're accessed from levers that are activated in each level/section. The levers aren't marked nor glow when near them. There's 1 classic level per current level.

I haven't found any either, but they're accessed from levers that are activated in each level/section. The levers aren't marked nor glow when near them. There's 1 classic level per current level.

Damn it, I've done terrible on that. I am almost tempted to restart. Is there New Game+ or any way I can replay an area "as is" or is restarting the game the only option?

Damn it, I've done terrible on that. I am almost tempted to restart. Is there New Game+ or any way I can replay an area "as is" or is restarting the game the only option?
I believe you can go back and replay each section from the Campaign menu; all your powerups are still there from what you have later in the game, and anything you unlock also carries forward, IIRC. So if there was a Rune Trial or Collectible you missed...you'll still get credit for it if you go back, replay the section, then continue back in your current campaign.

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe that's how it works.

My only gripe is the checkpoint save system but I am getting used to it.

About the secret levels

The secret levels are various Doom 1 levels in actual Doom 1 pixellated graphics. I've unlocked 2 through Foundry and before going to Vega sector.

Is it a particularly bad checkpoint save system, or are you simply not fond of checkpoint systems?

I am not fond of them in general for PC games... Specifically in this game - I like to search for secrets and end up falling off stuff sometimes. It sucks when you accidentally fall and then need to restart way back and have to get your bearings on what you need to recover to get back to that point. Weapon upgrades and things like that stick but ammo and health don't... I am just trying to be really careful when I explore now.

Why can't I pick up the Chainsaw? I seen it twice picked it up once died and it was gone. 2nd time I seen one I clicked on it and it vanished.

Good gameplay between checkpoints should be like selectable scenes in a DVD/BlurRay. Not so short that the entire session feels without context, but not too long as to be difficult to simply define.

I'm enjoying the MP in the game. It's dumbed down a bit for sure, but is also nice that people have to actively seek out hp like the old days lol.

I thought I was good at these old school arena shooters. Apparently, I'm not. I'm always middle or 2nd to last on my team :(

So do we know anything about the season pass? Will there be SP content or just MP?

So do we know anything about the season pass? Will there be SP content or just MP?
I was going to buy it but its description looked like it was only MP things which i dont really care about.

I was going to buy it but its description looked like it was only MP things which i dont really care about.

Yeah...and it looks like that includes maps which only really serves to fragment the MP community in a not-very-strong MP offering in the first place.

For the life of me, I can't find any of the secret levels. How do you go about finding them? And does anyone know how many secret levels there are?
There is one in each mission. They're unlocked by levers fiendishly hidden in the environment. You'll know when you activate one because it plays a jingle of music from the original Doom. If you got the automap for a particular mission, just look for a greyed out area of the map that should look familiar to you if you've played the original Doom or Doom 2. The lever to unlock the door won't be too far away.
I installed the new nVidia drivers and it seems that my FPS is capped at 60 now. VSync is off (GSync). Anyone else experience this?
Restart the game. Keep in mind that the menu and cutscenes are still capped to 60 FPS.
TSSAA (8XT)

Is this an FPS eater? Compared to SMAA/FXAA?

Wish HardOCP would do a Doom 2016 article. Where they go through each and every graphic setting with FPS benchmarks and comparison screenies. So far, the only website I know of that does that.
I asked Kyle if they were going to do an analysis, and he said they would but they're working on something else right now. I assume that "something else" is the 1070/1080 review or preview.

then Bethesda/iD Software did a horrible job of marketing the game...releasing a MP beta, bad trailers and holding back review copies didn't do the game any favors...

An open beta is not marketing. It's a wide-scale test of their servers/networks in preparation for the game's release. They obviously felt the single player didn't need a beta, and why should it? How many "open single player" betas do you see? I'm sure some are out there, but I don't think that's a prevalent practice with AAA companies.

Seriously what is there to market? It's Doom. It's obvious that the vast majority of people playing it right now are enjoying the hell out of it. I'm curious why you're clinging to all these little bits of negativity. If you played it, then didn't like it for whatever reason, that would be something at least. But you're just detracting without even playing it. Just weird to me.

Good gameplay between checkpoints should be like selectable scenes in a DVD/BlurRay. Not so short that the entire session feels without context, but not too long as to be difficult to simply define.

The checkpoints feel pretty good to me. Obviously a full save system is preferable for most games, but they did a decent job. There was only one time that I went back further than I thought I should and decided to take a break for a bit before starting again. Otherwise, they feel good. There's a particular VERY vertical level with a lot of platform and machinery traversing. I accidentally fell from the highest point that you could fall from. It popped me right back up top when I respawned, so that was a good example of it working as it should. I didn't have to make the full climb again.

I think they'll do something like Old Blood. I don't mind if it's separate from the Season Pass.

That would be very cool. A full add on pack with a branched or extended story. I would definitely pick that up. This game is ridiculously fun. I had to pry myself off of it last night I was having so much fun. :D

And Quake. Don't forget a new Quake. :p

Honestly, I think Doom 3 would have been better as a Quake game. It's a lot closer to Quake 1 than it is to Doom. However, I don't want any of that "monster closet" design. That's just lame.

Honestly, I think Doom 3 would have been better as a Quake game. It's a lot closer to Quake 1 than it is to Doom. However, I don't want any of that "monster closet" design. That's just lame.

It really didn't have many more monster closets than the originals. I think people forget that you'd open a secret panel, and it would be full of monsters. If that's not a monster closet, I don't know what is. It's just a Doom(ism). However, in Doom 3 they actually burst through walls, crawled out vents, popped through floor tiles, climbed down walls, etc. (kinda like the movie Aliens) I thought it was really well done. It was a different kind of experience than Doom or Doom 2016, but it was excellent, and definitely more Doom than Quake IMO. Quake is like nothing else I've ever played really. While there are some similarities to Doom, it's very much its own thing. I don't feel like Doom 3 would have been better in the Quake universe. That's kind of what Quake IV was. (a combat heavy Doom 3 in the Quake universe if that makes ANY sense :D ) I enjoyed that too. They are all their own games, and all of them are excellent. I wouldn't want any of them to change. I just just play the one I'm in the mood for. Now give me Quake 5 damnit!!

I've love to see a new Quake game like this new Doom. Quake 4 was terrible.

It really didn't have many more monster closets than the originals. I think people forget that you'd open a secret panel, and it would be full of monsters. If that's not a monster closet, I don't know what is. It's just a Doom(ism). However, in Doom 3 they actually burst through walls, crawled out vents, popped through floor tiles, climbed down walls, etc. (kinda like the movie Aliens) I thought it was really well done. It was a different kind of experience than Doom or Doom 2016, but it was excellent, and definitely more Doom than Quake IMO. Quake is like nothing else I've ever played really. While there are some similarities to Doom, it's very much its own thing. I don't feel like Doom 3 would have been better in the Quake universe. That's kind of what Quake IV was. (a combat heavy Doom 3 in the Quake universe if that makes ANY sense :D ) I enjoyed that too. They are all their own games, and all of them are excellent. I wouldn't want any of them to change. I just just play the one I'm in the mood for. Now give me Quake 5 damnit!!

Quake 1 is almost HP Lovecraftian. It isn't this "warzone" that Doom was. Quake 2 became more what people tend to think of as modern Quake. However, the original is a different beast, and I feel Doom 3 is more like that, than Doom 1. This new Doom is very much what I feel is the organic evolution of the formula.

OK - This game is truly awesome. All three game modes give this game A LOT of depth and replay value. I just tried the snapmap game mode for the hell of it not thinking it to be anything much - And holy shit. Some of the maps people have made on there are pretty awesome. Really gives the game more replay value.

Really impressed Bethesda. You pulled this game off. IMO it's better then Doom 3 by a long shot. It doesn't push graphics like Doom 3 did, but in terms of gameplay and value for money it's a much better game. There is just so much going on with this game that we don't see typically with FPS's anymore. The snapmap mode has enough flexibility that you can basically mod the game from within the game.

Great great game. Unfortunately i'm thinking it won't be 'successful' though because I can see this game not being popular with the console peasant crowd. I laugh at the idea of playing this game with a controller. Kudos again Bethesda for making a /real/ FPS.

I really liked Quake 4. Not nearly as much as Doom 3, or Quake 1-3, but it was a good game overall. Especially half way through when the pace picks up. I'm also a Raven fan, but what I would really like to see with a new Quake is id doing multiplayer, and Machine Games handling the campaign. Put it either in the Quake 1 slipgate universe, or put it somewhere totally new. The Strogg are dead, and they can stay that way. Q2 and Q4 were great, but I'd prefer either Q1 or new for another game. After I cool down on the new Doom for a bit, I'm going to play through Quake 4 again. It's been a while.

OK - This game is truly awesome. All three game modes give this game A LOT of depth and replay value. I just tried the snapmap game mode for the hell of it not thinking it to be anything much - And holy shit. Some of the maps people have made on there are pretty awesome. Really gives the game more replay value.

Really impressed Bethesda. You pulled this game off. IMO it's better then Doom 3 by a long shot. It doesn't push graphics like Doom 3 did, but in terms of gameplay and value for money it's a much better game. There is just so much going on with this game that we don't see typically with FPS's anymore. The snapmap mode has enough flexibility that you can basically mod the game from within the game.

Great great game. Unfortunately i'm thinking it won't be 'successful' though because I can see this game not being popular with the console peasant crowd. I laugh at the idea of playing this game with a controller. Kudos again Bethesda for making a /real/ FPS.

Well, it's the been the top selling game for a couple of weeks now. That's not what I'd call unsuccessful. Hopefully it keeps selling that way though, because I want more from them and sooner than later. A Doom expansion and new Quake would be great. While I somewhat agree that it's not the exact same leap forward as Doom 3 was at the time of release, it's pretty damned close. The game is gorgeous, it flies on just about any current hardware, and some of the effects make me stop and stare. That doesn't happen too often these days. IMO it's the best looking game available right now, which Doom 3 was when it released. (rivaled fairly closely by Far Cry, Riddick, F.E.A.R. and Half Life 2) There are definitely some good looking games right now, but this ones just pulls everything together, from design, scale, effects, engine efficiency, textures, geometry, lighting. It's got it all, and it's fast.

Good to hear about Snap Map! I haven't stopped playing SP long enough to try it or MP. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

Well, it's the been the top selling game for a couple of weeks now. That's not what I'd call unsuccessful. Hopefully it keeps selling that way though, because I want more from them and sooner than later. A Doom expansion and new Quake would be great. While I somewhat agree that it's not the exact same leap forward as Doom 3 was at the time of release, it's pretty damned close. The game is gorgeous, it flies on just about any current hardware, and some of the effects make me stop and stare. That doesn't happen too often these days. IMO it's the best looking game available right now, which Doom 3 was when it released. (rivaled fairly closely by Far Cry, Riddick, F.E.A.R. and Half Life 2) There are definitely some good looking games right now, but this ones just pulls everything together, from design, scale, effects, engine efficiency, textures, geometry, lighting. It's got it all, and it's fast.

Good to hear about Snap Map! I haven't stopped playing SP long enough to try it or MP. Can't wait to give it a whirl.

IMO there are better looking games. Witcher 3 namely or GTA5. You are correct though, the game runs great while still looking really good. I'm just used to my Doom games pushing boundaries, and this one doesn't do that. Not complaining though because the gameplay is so good and it's not like the graphics aren't outstanding anyways.

IMO there are better looking games. Witcher 3 namely or GTA5. You are correct though, the game runs great while still looking really good. I'm just used to my Doom games pushing boundaries, and this one doesn't do that. Not complaining though because the gameplay is so good and it's not like the graphics aren't outstanding anyways.

I agree that Witcher 3 and GTA 5 are stunning games. It may just be that id's aesthetic speaks to me more. (even more so than other similar games like UT(s)) I'm finding the lighting, metallic surfaces, volumetric effects, etc. to be very impressive. Plus nobody does gigantic machinery like id. I always love seeing what they come up with for their reactors, generators, etc. The stuff in the Argent Tower is insane!

Make sure you read the about the fixes in the Steam Community thread. That game is buggy.

I installed it a few months back, and didn't run into any major issues. I just got distracted by something else (I think it was when I picked up GTA V or something like that.) It was running great though at the time. I'll check out the Steam Community anyway though just in case. I've played through it a few times over the past several years. Never really had any issues at all that I can remember.

Edit: Checked out the Q4 forum on Steam. I ran into a little of this before (graphics settings) but nothing unusual. It's all a matter of tweaking the .CFG files, then setting the file to Read Only if I remember correctly.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure that GTA V looks better, but it is definitely more alive. I'm playing thru it right now and just amazed at how alive everything in that world is and how everything reacts and is doing its own thing.

Playing on Ultra Violence. Challenging and engaging. Looks great, runs great. My only complaint is the sound design. Wish guns and enemy sounds were more distinctive. Every gun and creature in the old DOOM games had a very particluar sound. ie the plasma rifle, the Hell Knight, Cacodemon hiss etc. I feel like they could have done a bit better job with that aspect.

One thing I find myself enjoying is the "lore". I like the whole Doom marine concept and the fact that all the lore is accessible but by no means shoved down your throat. It seems like they just made smart decisions in general. I can see a lot of Bethesda's influence. Seems like id and Bethesda compliment each other well.

Is SLI just plain broken at the moment? Nvidia control panel wants to default to single GPU, forcing AFR1 seems to work but my FPS are still limited to around 30 regardless of settings?

Even on low with SLI 780Ti I am only getting 30fps max.

Is SLI just plain broken at the moment? Nvidia control panel wants to default to single GPU, forcing AFR1 seems to work but my FPS are still limited to around 30 regardless of settings?

Even on low with SLI 780Ti I am only getting 30fps max.

It was working with an older driver to some degree. Then Nvidia released a new one (within the last couple of days.) That seemed to have broken, or at least disabled SLI by default (if I've been following this correctly, I don't run SLI.) Last I read, id knows about it, and are actively working on a fix. The game does officially support SLI, they just need to get that fix done.

I think people are having mixed results forcing AFR modes.

Playing on Ultra Violence. Challenging and engaging. Looks great, runs great. My only complaint is the sound design. Wish guns and enemy sounds were more distinctive. Every gun and creature in the old DOOM games had a very particluar sound. ie the plasma rifle, the Hell Knight, Cacodemon hiss etc. I feel like they could have done a bit better job with that aspect.

One thing I find myself enjoying is the "lore". I like the whole Doom marine concept and the fact that all the lore is accessible but by no means shoved down your throat. It seems like they just made smart decisions in general. I can see a lot of Bethesda's influence. Seems like id and Bethesda compliment each other well.

Audio logs (or any of the supplemental data) should not require to be played separately in menu - it brings the action to a hard standstill and is the main reason I haven't really stopped to listen to much of it.

An open beta is not marketing. It's a wide-scale test of their servers/networks in preparation for the game's release. They obviously felt the single player didn't need a beta, and why should it? How many "open single player" betas do you see? I'm sure some are out there, but I don't think that's a prevalent practice with AAA companies.

Seriously what is there to market? It's Doom. It's obvious that the vast majority of people playing it right now are enjoying the hell out of it. I'm curious why you're clinging to all these little bits of negativity. If you played it, then didn't like it for whatever reason, that would be something at least. But you're just detracting without even playing it. Just weird to me.

of course an open beta is marketing...are you being serious?

maybe instead of cherry picking my post to cling to your undying love of the game you could actually read the post I made right before the one you quoted...I acknowledged that the game seems better then anticipated and is getting favorable reviews...

Doom 4 E3 reveal.

Back