Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

I was also referring to the opportunity cost of having to click and switch the items manually. I think they want some sort of price for the convenience. I think DarkSaturn's prediction would be great for me as well, but I'm fairly sure that most of the people whining now would just whine more about that, since right now people can have their MF set AND the neph valor :p

It's not a huge issue, but if you read the complaining in the battle.net forums you'd think it was the end of the world!

All people do is cry on the fucking blizzard forums its amazing. Everyone wants the best loot and they want it now and they dont want to have to do any work for it. Its pathetic.

I dissagree with any of those options they have suggested for item swapping. My suggestion is that you can only change your items quickly when in town just like skills. If you are in hostile territory then there should be a delay of 3-5 seconds between swapping any items. The first item swapped would be immediate and take effect immediately. Only after that item is there a 3 second delay.

I don't like this as a HC player.

I have a shield in my inventory that I swap on when I need it.

He said first item swapped (aka your shield) would be a free cost. The cool down is only on subsequent items, ie swapping a whole set out.

All people do is cry on the fucking blizzard forums its amazing. Everyone wants the best loot and they want it now and they dont want to have to do any work for it. Its pathetic.

I don't want to work on a game, I want to have fun. The "you gotta work for it" thing with reference to video games is a pet peeve.

Yeah, and now they want a special button to make life even easier. How about Blizz employees come to your house and install a big round red button on your desk that says "I WIN GG"

I do think something needs to be done, however I just don't feel like any of the 5 options really nail it on the head.

The reason I think it needs to be changed is because this is basically an issue between the rich and the poor. Well the rich have MF on their godly dps/def gear already. So the whole swapping issue isn't for them.

Well the poor realize that good gear is already expensive, let alone trying to buy that good gear WITH MF on it also is prolly not gonna happen.

For this reason I don't feel like the poor should have such an easy, maybe minor inconvience (clicking on some items/smaller inventory), alternative to having high MF. Having good gear with MF on it should be something that you have to work for, not some easy way to bypass that but yet still enjoy the benefit.

So I think I like opt 2 I guess. The least bad option I guess. Def not opt 5, cuz just swapping out a shield for a weapon for a boss, or changing weapon to life leech b/c of reflect should not be punished. Just my .02

I def prefer option 2. The main problem which many of the QQers fail to see is that many players felt "pigeonholed" into doing a clunky MF swap to maximize their farming vs players who already have godly MF/dps gear. Again, some people like the whole swapping gear thing but it appears a majority of players don't. Hence, Blizzard is looking to address it. I understand their reasoning and think they have option 2 and 4 being the most reasonable options (as long as they disable NV stack loss from swapping weapons).

He said first item swapped (aka your shield) would be a free cost. The cool down is only on subsequent items, ie swapping a whole set out.

Then what about a good life on hit / vitality weapon? Another piece that has high defensive stats as well?

Where do you draw the line?

Clearly the issue isn't with item swapping. It's with magic find from item swapping. Don't neuter item swapping if that's not the issue. This is the mistake Blizzard often makes.

I honestly cannot believe what I just read in that blog post. Those are some of the worst ideas I've ever read. I am honestly starting to believe that most of the devs on the D3 team never even played Diablo 1 or 2, including Jay Wilson himself.

Just have a weapon switch button like in D2, except turn it into a gear switch button. Problem solved.

Then what about a good life on hit / vitality weapon? Another piece that has high defensive stats as well?

Where do you draw the line?

Clearly the issue isn't with item swapping. It's with magic find from item swapping. Don't neuter item swapping if that's not the issue. This is the mistake Blizzard often makes.

No I dont see it like that. Thats the price you pay from choosing your gear wisely. Were you able to right click your gear in D2 to make it oh so easy like it is now. NO!! You had to drag that shit. So this whole warm fuzzy " Oh I should be able to customize, interchange swap anything my heart desires" type thing is dumb and it doesn't hold the player to any kind of commitment.

Where do you draw the line?? For this pack I put on these pieces, for that pack I put on these others, for this area I put these on, when I open this chest I put these on too. Obvioulsy you draw the line at how big your inventory is. LOL

I honestly cannot believe what I just read in that blog post. Those are some of the worst ideas I've ever read. I am honestly starting to believe that most of the devs on the D3 team never even played Diablo 1 or 2, including Jay Wilson himself.

Just have a weapon switch button like in D2, except turn it into a gear switch button. Problem solved.

No, thats the dumbest idea!

No I dont see it like that. Thats the price you pay from choosing your gear wisely. Were you able to right click your gear in D2 to make it oh so easy like it is now. NO!! You had to drag that shit. So this whole warm fuzzy " Oh I should be able to customize, interchange swap anything my heart desires" type thing is dumb and it doesn't hold the player to any kind of commitment.

Where do you draw the line?? For this pack I put on these pieces, for that pack I put on these others, for this area I put these on, when I open this chest I put these on too. Obvioulsy you draw the line at how big your inventory is. LOL

So you think we should not be able to swap gear period?

If it weren't for MF swapping, you think it would still be an issue?

Think reasonably here.

I don't want to work on a game, I want to have fun. The "you gotta work for it" thing with reference to video games is a pet peeve.

That's what the first three modes were for. Inferno is for the slightly OCD crowd.

Wow...just clicked the link to bnet and its on 284 pages after 2 hrs...people need to do something more with their lives...

So you think we should not be able to swap gear period?

If it weren't for MF swapping, you think it would still be an issue?

Think reasonably here.

I didn't say that. But everyone wants all these abilities for FREE. Idc, make swapping gear a functionality, but it should come with a price. Just like swapping skills has a price, lose your stacks, have to wait for CD. Its called balance and trade offs should always have to be made. And I am thinking reasonably here, thanks for caring.

I didn't say that. But everyone wants all these abilities for FREE. Idc, make swapping gear a functionality, but it should come with a price. Just like swapping skills has a price, lose your stacks, have to wait for CD. Its called balance and trade offs should always have to be made. And I am thinking reasonably here, thanks for caring.

Ok, so if MF didn't exist, you would still think that gear swapping needs to be changed. How big of an issue is this for everyone?

Is this really an issue? If you don't like it, don't do it (I don't). NV stacks are pretty damn effective, and outside of godly MF gear (which if you get, good for you) I prefer to be more effective/faster with my standard gear than MF gear.

Ok, so if MF didn't exist, you would still think that gear swapping needs to be changed. How big of an issue is this for everyone?

As far as I'm concerned, MF is just another stat. So answer your own question and sub in any stat you want. It could be GF, it could be movement speed, whatever. Yeah, I think swapping those stats out on the fly like that devalues itemization as a whole. I think working towards the goal of having all inclusive gear is kinda the point.

Haven't you heard things such as, omg that shield is godly, it has absolutely everything. Kind of like this
http://i.imgur.com/kac12.png

Well if you start parting out those stats, its just gay. rant over

Gear swapping has always been a part of Diablo.

You want yet another restriction put in place on one of the fun aspects of the game?

Like I said before, fine, but it cant be free. It has to come at a cost, otherwise its just an easy button. And also, they may of had a weapon swap button, but you had to drag each piece of armor in order to replace it. You couldn't do like you can now with just a right click, and now you want to make it EVEN EASIER, with no penalty. ffs how is that "fun"

I think working towards the goal of having all inclusive gear is kinda the point.
So you would draw the line... in town? What If I got to a boss and ported out to swap my gear set for one that's better suited for the encounter. Is that acceptable? It defeats your idea of an all inclusive gear set doesn't it?

My whole point is that when you dissect the issue, the concept of swapping gear really isn't at fault. It's a none issue for just about everyone out there. No one thinks their gear is devalued because of it and no one is exploiting anything with it. The root of the issue lies with MF.

Haven't you heard things such as, omg that shield is godly, it has absolutely everything. Kind of like this
http://i.imgur.com/kac12.png

Well if you start parting out those stats, its just gay. rant over
I honestly have no idea what you're talking about with this one.

I don't believe item swapping is a major issue. I think people are frustrated that there are macros that switch all of your items within a second for the last hit. I manually right clicked when I was switching to MF gear and died a few times which slowed my farm. I offered a suggestion because I did not like the way Blizzard is looking to implement this. I do not have the HC mentality so input from HC players is good too.

I MF just fine with NV stacks so I'm not worried, but I know in the future I will find and upgrade to MF gear that is equivalent or better than my current gear.

So you would draw the line... in town? What If I got to a boss and ported out to swap my gear set for one that's better suited for the encounter. Is that acceptable? It defeats your idea of an all inclusive gear set doesn't it?

AFAIK, you cant portal out when you're in a boss fight. If you're in a group and die, and resurrect you can't rejoin until either the rest of your group dies or kills said boss. So I'm not really sure what you're talking about on this one.

I posted that shield to say emphasize that really godly items have a good roll of stats that you value on them. People that have managed to get high dps/high def stats on their items WITH MF, and now players can easily circumvent that with a cheap MF seat. How does that not devalue their items? Thats parting out specific stats but still enjoying the benefits of them.

Last edited:
How about this for a solution:

Remove mf from gear. Just completely remove it (well, maybe leave it on legendaries, or like a set bonus thing). Then, bring back totems amd charms. MF totems take up inventory slots, it will be the same for everyone. They could also bring back str,dex, int totems etc. Everyone is equal in mf cost/benefits, there are new items for people to try and find, and blizzard makes more rmah money. It's perfect, I tell ya.

How about this for a solution:

Remove mf from gear. Just completely remove it (well, maybe leave it on legendaries, or like a set bonus thing). Then, bring back totems amd charms. MF totems take up inventory slots, it will be the same for everyone. They could also bring back str,dex, int totems etc. Everyone is equal in mf cost/benefits, there are new items for people to try and find, and blizzard makes more rmah money. It's perfect, I tell ya.

The reason there are no charms is because they needed features for their expansion.

Like I said before, fine, but it cant be free. It has to come at a cost, otherwise its just an easy button. And also, they may of had a weapon swap button, but you had to drag each piece of armor in order to replace it. You couldn't do like you can now with just a right click, and now you want to make it EVEN EASIER, with no penalty. ffs how is that "fun"

Completely stupid. Diablo 2 had swappable gear, Diablo 3 should too. This isn't an MMORPG, this isn't WoW.

If they implement ANOTHER nerf, this game is going downhill even faster.

Completely stupid. Diablo 2 had swappable gear, Diablo 3 should too. This isn't an MMORPG, this isn't WoW.

Yeah, I like how Blizzard releases a beta at full retail price.

Pretty angry that I spent a ton of gold and time to find +attack% items only to have them taken away from me in a patch. Its BS.

Yeah, I like how Blizzard releases a beta at full retail price.

I gave them a chance with this one, even though the beta was "meh", I thought they could make the retail version that much better.

I was wrong. So, so, wrong.

I don't gear swap because I am lazy, but I don't care if people want to. Personally I'm fine with leaving the mechanics as it is, or just adding a 2nd set gear-swap button like D2 without penalties so everyone can do it easier.

Why is this such a huge concern?

Here's a good blue response to a lot of what's been said: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6009371708#17

Wow, there are some massively pissed-off people over there, lol.

I was reading some of the replies and I liked this one (not incredibly negative but accurate IMO):

Lylirra, sorry, but none of the ideas posted were from the forums.

Honestly, there would be little/no issue if there was actually useful MF items that weren't godly rolled rares.

See diablo 2 had SKILLS that LEVELED, and thus you got more powerful without having to gear for it.

That let people get MF and still kill things.

Diablo 3 you need to have the stars align and get uber godly gear just to MF properly because your skills do not scale except with items.

That is your flaw.

I don't gear swap because I am lazy, but I don't care if people want to. Personally I'm fine with leaving the mechanics as it is, or just adding a 2nd set gear-swap button like D2 without penalties so everyone can do it easier.

Why is this such a huge concern?

Agreed 100%, although now that I think about it I'd prefer no hotkey/button so it keeps the lazy people (like us) from doing it. Let the hardcore min/maxers do what they need to do and keep it "hardcore" - no hotkeys for the unwashed masses.

And I'd love to see totems/charms make it back in, those were such a great addition to the game IMO. It really gave a good reason to keep grinding even when you had nearly maxed your gear.

You're going to have to clarify your stupid post. Of course they both have swappable gear, but its how they accomplish that. Did you even read my post? As far as I remember, you had to click and drag the armor in D2, yes the weapon had a hotkey. But in D3 you can right click to equip items(much faster). And I'm not factoring in any scripts as thats obvioulsy not coded in the game.

Agreed 100%, although now that I think about it I'd prefer no hotkey/button so it keeps the lazy people (like us) from doing it. Let the hardcore min/maxers do what they need to do and keep it "hardcore" - no hotkeys for the unwashed masses.

And I'd love to see totems/charms make it back in, those were such a great addition to the game IMO. It really gave a good reason to keep grinding even when you had nearly maxed your gear.

I would love to have a swap gear solution as well. One for MF/gold and the other for uber elite/boss fights. Don't have to make it one key swap easy just the ability to have 2 separate gear sets is all I ask.

talk about a quick gear swap "button" all you want but it exists already if you check the botting forums out there's something you can run in the BG and swap gear with 1 button press. I haven't used it but its out there.

If blizz cant even actually stop the gold bots I doubt they'd actually care about a gear swap.

Wow, there are some massively pissed-off people over there, lol.

I was reading some of the replies and I liked this one (not incredibly negative but accurate IMO):

Yeah I like that response too. Pretty much nailed it on the head. You can have a lvl 60 and if you remove all the gear, you pretty much are a wet noodle.

I would love to have a swap gear solution as well. One for MF/gold and the other for uber elite/boss fights. Don't have to make it one key swap easy just the ability to have 2 separate gear sets is all I ask.

I can't help but feel that D3 is being catered to the noobs like you. Just want your cake and eat it to. Sigh...

Yeah I like that response too. Pretty much nailed it on the head. You can have a lvl 60 and if you remove all the gear, you pretty much are a wet noodle.

The final step in character building is to remove the character. Zen.

I don't support swapping gear for the sole purpose of gaining MF before you kill something

I think that MF should already be on your main set of gear, making said gear more valuable.

I like the idea of, when you swap out your gear , the MF (and only the magic find) should slowly trickle back to full over at least 2 minutes. If the trickle timer was any less, one person could just kite the boss around while the others (in the group) slowly change and wait for their MF to reach maximum amounts. With a timer like that, it would be plain tedious to kite a boss around for 2 minutes.

Currently, i do swap my gear out for MF before i kill a bos or elite pack.
I do not mind most of the options presented in the Blizz blog post except #'s 1 and 5.
I prefer #2, of the 5 presented

Back