Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Yeah what the hell is with that? I get 300+ms AVERAGE. GMT -7. I'm guessing everyone in the east are getting sub 100ms pings. Sigh.

They've stated that their pings aren't how pings are calculated traditionally.

Refer to this: http://www.d3sanc.com/blue-tracker/3776-are-pings-supposed-to-be-this-high/

That said, there is a large amount of rubber banding.

Which opens another can of worms; When are they going to nerf Strafe as I just twirled around Hell Act II like I was a ballerina for 4 hours last night. It's more OP than Smoke Screen ever was. I purposely went looking for packs of elite snakes to blow up for kicks.
Strafe is awful.

I hate to say it, but I'm really tired of the so-called "end game" inferno mode. I'm nearly done with Act II but in reality all I'm doing is farming. Just farming gold, items to sell for gold, or the one-in-a-trillion chance to farm an item I can use. Single items are SO expensive at this point (well more than 1m per item to get a decent upgrade), and even if I *had* the time to sit there and farm I'm just not motivated to do so. Lets say I spend 50 hours farming gold and items, get my DH totally maxed out, what's the ultimate payoff? To beat the same game, for the fourth time, with the same character? I know this isn't necessarily any different from the earlier Diablo games, and maybe it's my age talking, but I'm just not motivated to farm for hours.

I had a discussion with a friend about this. Farming for gear is precisely what Diablo games are about. However, a lot of modern games have deviated from it on purpose. Particularly in Western RPG's and MMORPG's, it's quite unacceptable nowadays to have repeated farming for randomized loot. But at the same time you can't really have a Diablo game without this aspect. It's quite a conundrum. I think if Inferno was actually fun to play, I'd be more motivated to gear up each class and play through Inferno with each one. Right now I'm sitting at 3 level 60's but I'm spending all my time on my most geared character to farm for everyone... because farming with my lesser geared ones is pointless and progression is gear based so they're sidelined until they get the gear...

I've personally almost burned myself out this weekend farming lootbreaker. It's quite depressing to go on streaks with nothing worth selling. That one multi million item every once in a while gives you quite a rush though. I've started a HC Monk to keep myself interested in the core game. He's at level 34 right now and my ultimate goal is to beat Hell. Not going to bother with Inferno for now. It's quite interesting to play a HC char. Your playstyle definitely changes and it's more exciting. Of course, when he finally dies I'll be cursing up a storm and hating myself for ever playing HC.

Last edited:
diablo is all about grinding and farming, which i dont do but my friends seem to not mind (i never played d2). but i still enjoyed leveling to inferno and playing with my friends.

I tried a couple things this weekend for my 60 monk to get through Inferno. I played the AH a while and found some cheap uniques which led to my first build.

First, blocking. I used a 29% block shield, an 11% justice lantern (legendary ring, paid 10k, sold later for 2 mil) and 8% helm of command (legendary helm, paid 500k) for 48% total block chance. Using the best shield type, so it blocks 4-5k, which happens after all damage mitigation. At those numbers, essentially, a block is a dodge.

It was pretty awesome but not enough life steal to keep me alive when things get really ugly. Both the uniques were auctioned off and I went back to life steal + dual wield. Bought some Lacuni Prowlers (legendary attack speed% move% wrists) and 17% attack speed gloves. Doing that turned my monk into a murder machine that easily farms A1 butcher.

I also geared out my enchantress to do 5k DPS on her own, it helps since she benefits from my damage aura too. Sometimes I will run up to a pack of normal mobs but they will just die instantly from her AE.

So basically I see the path going forward: more life steal, higher DPS weapons, more attack speed. I'm using two 600dps weapons and the 1000k+ DPS life stealers cost tens of millions, as does each piece of armor with optimal stats. Lots of room for improvement.

Funny -- I've had a ticket in for over 72 hours and no reply.

When I actually try to call Blizzard I get the message 'sorry our phone queue is full, please try your call again later"

So, it makes me wonder if they are going to do this for another 2 weeks until the 30 day refund policy expires? Just so they might try to take a cheap stab and keeping our money that we have requested returned?

i havent played much diablo yet, not even close to inferno, i wonder if its basically meant to not be fun for a while; if it might be more enjoyable once the community as a whole starts finding better loot and stronger, more refined builds...

kinda like ubers for d2...something not survivable until you had characters really geared up

In my experience the community is awful in Inferno. People just farm Act 1 quest 3 and pretty much everyone just leaves in the middle of champion packs that are too hard for them.

And if something rare drops like it does in the other modes people are pretty cool about trading it out in the other modes. Not the case for inferno. Someone gets a yellow that they think you need they are all about trying to make a profit off you.

Entirely different community in Inferno.

8 hours later and act 2 boss is dead with 3 players. Monk, Barb and myself Wizard.

The boss isn't really hard just tedious. Its like drawing a strait line 100 times in a row. Get to the 70 like and whoops you slipped a bit and have to start over.

After beating it we could probably do it again rather easy having both Monk and Barb built purely to stay alive and resurrect the wizard who does all the damage.

The venom hydra is the best thing for wizards. That thing lets me kill so many things I couldn't stand up to normally.

What is arcane dynamo - I don't think it is overpowered as I use it currently. Can take forever to kill stuff - I run into that 6 min timer a lot on elites.

Can't understand, why they introduce the henchmen, when they are taken from you during final fight. Killing Diablo on my own, is very hard... why I can't take my tank templar, who can heal me, or could draw Diablo's attention for few critical seconds is beyond comprehension.

After 10 trials on alst fight on my DH, I only reached phase 2, adn then died faster then in phase 1.... guess I'll have to re-run act 4 instances to get more gear and XP, as lev 31 and 400 dps is a bit too low there. (using entangled shot as primary attack and burst of arrows as secondary)

My DH took him at lvl 30 second try fairly easily. The trick I did was drop caltraps and run around a LOT I had gear that healed me with every hit I do to him. I would rain down my arrows on button 4 as often as possible. My turret slowly ate away at him too I dont have any tips for the shadow part because that was pretty simple. I use the ice elemental arrow on right click and left just grenades with the tinkering rune or whatever to rebuild hatred faster There are health pools to the left and right so i did figure 8's running between the 2 attacking every so often.

What is arcane dynamo - I don't think it is overpowered as I use it currently. Can take forever to kill stuff - I run into that 6 min timer a lot on elites.

passive
use an spell like Magic Missile 5 times and boosts your next spell cast by 75%

Oh havent tried that one yet. Thanks for the heads up. Does it tell you you are ready for arcane dynamo or something?

Say I am in inferno Act II, and want to run a bit Hell Act III for gold. Can I run hell Act III then switch back to the quest line I was on in inferno Act II?

Say I am in inferno Act II, and want to run a bit Hell Act III for gold. Can I run hell Act III then switch back to the quest line I was on in inferno Act II?

Yes. It won't save the exact checkpoint, but you can start at the beginning of the quest point that you left off on.

A quest point can be something like "kill the butcher", but you will start at the closest waypoint to that which wouldn't be "right outside the butcher's chamber" which is the closest "checkpoint".

Yes. You can switch/flip flop easily. You'll just lose any checkpoint progress you made on Inferno. But you can go back to the start of whatever quest line is available in Inferno.

@Intel_Hydralisk Strafe is god mode when you're permanently stuck in the middle of elites because of lag. You can't tumble away as you're going to rubberbanded right back into the pack 1 second later. Tumble is for resetting the fight in case you run into a bad string of dodges. The elite packs slow to your speed for some reason; I thought the 60% movement speed would be detrimental. And you're aoeing like a madman while moving. Running out of Hatred made me sad as I had to Smoke Screen as my regular shots made me into a sitting duck with the lag.

You ought to try new things. At least for the laggy players it evens the playing field a bit.

My DH took him at lvl 30 second try fairly easily. The trick I did was drop caltraps and run around a LOT I had gear that healed me with every hit I do to him. I would rain down my arrows on button 4 as often as possible. My turret slowly ate away at him too I dont have any tips for the shadow part because that was pretty simple. I use the ice elemental arrow on right click and left just grenades with the tinkering rune or whatever to rebuild hatred faster There are health pools to the left and right so i did figure 8's running between the 2 attacking every so often.

I always switch to impale with the stun rune for Diablo, still run away a lot but not as much and it gives me a few seconds to get some hits in.

I always switch to impale with the stun rune for Diablo, still run away a lot but not as much and it gives me a few seconds to get some hits in.

Bola with Stun rune + Impale stun rune gives you the ability to watch TV while fighting Diablo on normal. Of course you want smoke and tumble also in case the lag boss catches up to you.

For those who are on the brink of completing hell and questioning their own capability for inferno...its ****ing hard. The first pack of champions you come across will be a real gear check for you and unless you have a fat sack of gold to buy AH items or impeccable skills with your character then prepare for the butthurt.

Protection Monk here with about 30k hp with buff, 9k armor with buffs, 50% dodge with buff, 12k dps, and almost 200 resist for all and I am getting owned time and time again.

I was abusing the AH for gear pre 60. After experiencing the sheer difficulty of inferno I almost feel obligated to earn my own gear. Anyone can go to the AH and dump 30mill on a sick piece but you have to remember that there was a point where people HAD to rely drops when there was no gear on the AH for upgrades (poor sentence construction, I apologize).

Yes. It won't save the exact checkpoint, but you can start at the beginning of the quest point that you left off on.

A quest point can be something like "kill the butcher", but you will start at the closest waypoint to that which wouldn't be "right outside the butcher's chamber" which is the closest "checkpoint".

Yes. You can switch/flip flop easily. You'll just lose any checkpoint progress you made on Inferno. But you can go back to the start of whatever quest line is available in Inferno.

Awesome guys, thanks. Got my Barb to Inferno Act I, but he is getting murdered, tired of he walk of shame...Have been AH farming for upgrades, but not seeing anything under 500,000g that was an upgrade. Need to do some lower level stuff to grind gold. I wasn't sure if it lost your spot or not, so been leveling a WD up. I noticed from 40+, the gold really starts flowing.

When you hit 60 and get the Nephalem Valor stacks it really ups your gold find. Plus all the blues that drop which you just vendor. You can make a good amount of gold in like an hour or so.

My friend and I duo'd our way as two DH's. The stun made boss fights pretty trivial. In hell and inferno though, the stun duration gets significantly reduced to the point where it's no longer viable.

Protection Monk here with about 30k hp with buff, 9k armor with buffs, 50% dodge with buff, 12k dps, and almost 200 resist for all and I am getting owned time and time again.

Armor and DPS are decent, but hp is a little low and your resists are WAY low for a monk. With the "One With Everything" passive, you should be stacking a single resist type and all resist gear. I wouldn't try to venture too far into Inferno without all resists of at least 500 or so.

Armor and DPS are decent, but hp is a little low and your resists are WAY low for a monk. With the "One With Everything" passive, you should be stacking a single resist type and all resist gear. I wouldn't try to venture too far into Inferno without all resists of at least 500 or so.

Yeah my HP needs work. And that is a really good idea. I am using one with everything now but I never even thought to stack one type of resist.

Thanks for the tip man.

I was thinking his HP is too high, too much of his item budget is into VIT instead of resists. I have like 16k HP on my monk. Effective HP is the important thing - how much your mitigation and resists multiply your HP.

The other half of effective HP is, you need lots of life steal or some other way to heal constantly. With a monk that means dual-wielding fast weapons with a thousand or more life-on-hit gained (total, between two weapons and any from amulets/etc). With higher resists each HP healed is worth 'more' than if you had lower resists.

That dodge isnt really helping you, since the half of the time you do get hit is devastating.

You cannot make it through inferno with 16k HP. Mobs can hit for 30k+ (some much harder in act 2).

You cannot make it through inferno with 16k HP. Mobs can hit for 30k+ (some much harder in act 2).

Mobs actually hit for something like 200k, but it's reduced by armor and resistance. You could have 16k hp if you have enough resistance / armor.

Last edited:
I am using one with everything now but I never even thought to stack one type of resist.

That's the whole point of OWE. ;)

This.

16k HP in inferno, especially as a melee class, is just asking for trouble. Unless somehow you are able to amass insane levels of armor and resists.

Effective hit points. 70% armor + 70% resists + 25% mob damage debuff goes a long way. A hit for 30k * .3 * .3 * .75 = 2025 damage.

I finished A1 with something like 14k HP. Its not a problem. You just expand on that principle for A2 and beyond - more HPs, more DPS, more resists, etc.

And the good thing about this game, if you dont believe me, you can always just join up with me for a run ;)

Is inferno "hard"? Yes.

Is inferno "fun"? No.

There's a good article about it here: http://www.gosugamers.net/diablo/features/2916

I just got around to reading that article, and wanted to comment on this piece:

Putting aside the latter two complaints for now, it seems to me that the evolution of the meta game from Diablo II to Diablo III was missed by a huge fraction of the players. They expect to hit the level cap, beat the game (that means killing Diablo on Inferno) and then start farming for items much in the same fashion as they did in Diablo II. They don't seem to realize that the farming now starts before the game ends and that not being able to move from one Act right to the other is how the game is supposed to be. Blizzard intended for players to be "stuck" in every new Act for quite a while until they have geared themselves up significantly while players expect to be able to progress through the following Act as soon as they have killed the boss of the last one.

I guess I understand that's how Blizzard wanted it, but my question is, who thought this was actually a good idea? Do you think this kind of gameplay would fly in any other game if it weren't Diablo?

Imagine playing a shooter where you had to repeat the same level over and over to kill an arbitrary number of enemies before you could continue to progress through the content.

IMO I prefer the way Diablo 2 was, where you could move through the content without resorting to endless farming or AH shenanigans, and then farm items if you really wanted to in the endgame (I didn't really, but many obviously did). It's kind of like playing through a game and then going back to get achievements/collectibles/whatever if you want; not required but many people do it because they want to feel accomplished.

For those who are on the brink of completing hell and questioning their own capability for inferno...its ****ing hard. The first pack of champions you come across will be a real gear check for you and unless you have a fat sack of gold to buy AH items or impeccable skills with your character then prepare for the butthurt.

I was abusing the AH for gear pre 60. After experiencing the sheer difficulty of inferno I almost feel obligated to earn my own gear. Anyone can go to the AH and dump 30mill on a sick piece but you have to remember that there was a point where people HAD to rely drops when there was no gear on the AH for upgrades (poor sentence construction, I apologize).

You get best bang for your buck when armor mitigation is close to resist mitigation. Even though survival scales linearly with armor and resist, when combined, adding one will have more benefit if they're not balanced.

I'll find the chart when I get home, but for example you have very high armor and very low resist, each point of resist can equate to like 30 pts of armor, so go for resist. On the other hand, for high resist low armor, adding a point to resist can be as little as effectively adding 6 pts of armor.

For monks, to get high resist, focus on a single resist, of your choice, and stack that with resist all stats on gear. For example, look for +70 resist all and +30 resist fire armor, that could be equivalent to +100 resist with that passive.

Putting aside the latter two complaints for now, it seems to me that the evolution of the meta game from Diablo II to Diablo III was missed by a huge fraction of the players. They expect to hit the level cap, beat the game (that means killing Diablo on Inferno) and then start farming for items much in the same fashion as they did in Diablo II. They don't seem to realize that the farming now starts before the game ends and that not being able to move from one Act right to the other is how the game is supposed to be. Blizzard intended for players to be "stuck" in every new Act for quite a while until they have geared themselves up significantly while players expect to be able to progress through the following Act as soon as they have killed the boss of the last one.

Okay, now I understand why I have been having so hard time with Diablo 3 and why I had a constant feeling of being underequipped (until I started to use AH in the middle of Nightmare) where in Diablo 2 only enemy that gave me that sensation was Mephisto.

Not a good design choice. I was expecting the constant grinding becoming necessity at the end of hell and inferno difficulties.

Resolve passive, I presume? Mind sharing the rest of your build?

Here's what I'm using right now. Plenty of variations will get you through A1 in the same way.

Passives: Resolve, One, Dex = Armor. Resolve is the optional one here, it wont save your bacon in an arcane trap but Transcendence might. Try em both.

1) Deadly Reach with 50% armor buff
2) Dash 10 spirit cost (a constant life saver, movement convenience and DPS optimizer for Deadly Reach by lining up mobs via Dashing behind the one at the back)
3) 4 second Invulnerability
4) 60% wind thingy (DPS and applies Resolve around you)
5) 15% damage buff heal (This is for the damage buff. If you need it for the heal you are already screwed.)
6) Mantra: I'm at the point now where I use Overawe for the DPS boost. Earlier I used the Dodge+20% armor but now its pointless with my life drain. Try either one, or try the healing+life on heal mantra.

Spirit: Spend it all on the mantra all the time. Keep the wind and 15% damage up.
My Gear: 16k DPS with the 15% up but not counting mantra, 1500 life on hit and two fast weapons. 19% movement speed, lots of +attack speed, most armor pieces stack DEX, Arcane and All Resists. Vit on a few.

As a long time D2 fan that contributed a lot to the D2 PVP community back in the day I honestly have to say I'm satisfied with D3. I also feel the need to share this with someone and get some honest debate :p

Leveling System/Skill Tree System:
I actually like the way they changed the system. Yes, it kills some "replayability" because now I don't have to level 283942342834927 chars to get the right build and stat allocation. But then again, I don't have hours upon hours to level to 90+ again like I did in D2. I was/am a huge min-maxer so every time I got a new piece of gear in D2, I'd re-level my char to be fully optimized. For example, when I went from a +19 all stats anni to a +20, I re-leveled my then 98 necro back to 98 on a new necro just for that 1 stat point. I only wish Blizzard to really tune all the runes and make some of the skills more useful.

Inferno
Yes it's not very fun sometimes but sometimes I get a rush trying to bring down an elite pack. My only problem with Inferno is that it more or less punishes you for playing with other people. The scaling is absurd. Also some combos are just unkillable (invun, fast, mortar, + any other modifier is pretty much game over, especially if it's soul lashers *shudder*)

The gear progression I'm sort of meh on. If anything A1 gear needs to be more in line with the difficulity jump from A1->A2. A2->A3 isn't that big of a difficulty jump. A4 for non-melee basically becomes a glass cannon build which I don't like but we'll see how Blizzard handles the "spiky" damage of Inferno (lol corrupted angels anyone?). I believe their goal for Inferno was to have a constant stream of damage that would basically prevent people from face tanking and just steam rolling through mobs which I sort of like. The idea of using CCs and strategic choke points on my WD is really fun for me. Not so fun for my Wizard which I have shelved for now. But your mileage may vary depending on your class I suppose.

Items
Yes the itemization is a little whack at the moment and the lack of modifiers is a little disheartening but at the end of the day, I still get excited identifying rares and legendaries. Blizzard is supposedly revamping legendaries so we'll see if those get any better.

Mechanics
If anything this is a big one for me for D3. The fact that ranged classes are INFINITELY easier and cheaper to gear up for inferno is kind of sad. DH is the easiest to gear up and solo inferno with while Monks are probably the worst off. Yes, we all know that in D2 melee is heavily gear dependent but it honestly shouldn't be over a factor of 50% (at least that's what it feels like to me. Most barbs that I know that progressed easily through A2 had 900+ resists while a DH can get blues with massive dex and have the same ease)

Also the fact that Blizzard/the community seems to demand that ranged classes play a kite class all day is frustrating as well. I leveled a wizard first and I loved the idea of a tanking wizard using the Critical Mass build (yes it was cheesy but it was fun, Blizzard could have left that build viable if they had actually had thought longer about how to nerf the infinite stunlock/frozen/hp builds)

AH
50/50 on it right now. I love that I don't have to read forums that have people listing tons of items and trying to find the perfect item that I want. AH could use more work such as sorting and filtering but Blizzard is working on that I suppose. The RMAH? The economy will sort out the prices in due time. Same with the absurd gold prices for some items (granted some are justified but some are outrageous like 1bil gold for a mediocre weapon that only has 1k+ dps)

PVP
Long time PVPer here and used to be well known in the community of D2 GM dueling. I don't like the fact that they took out dueling, and I'm not sure if we can even have 1v1 fights. Can we even pick who we go up against if we wanted to have 4 friends vs another 4 friends? I'll have to see how blizzard implements the arena. Though Jay Wilson did say he'd entertain a dueling mode if enough people wanted it I believe....

Story
I know some people really HATE the way the D3 story played out but I don't really care. It seemed about the same level of cheesiness that D2 had.

TLDR
Maybe I've just gotten older/have less time now that I work full time but I can honestly say I enjoy D3 and will be playing it for quite a long time even despite it's flaws.

Here's what I'm using right now. Plenty of variations will get you through A1 in the same way.

Passives: Resolve, One, Dex = Armor. Resolve is the optional one here, it wont save your bacon in an arcane trap but Transcendence might. Try em both.

1) Deadly Reach with 50% armor buff
2) Dash 10 spirit cost (a constant life saver, movement convenience and DPS optimizer for Deadly Reach by lining up mobs via Dashing behind the one at the back)
3) 4 second Invulnerability
4) 60% wind thingy (DPS and applies Resolve around you)
5) 15% damage buff heal (This is for the damage buff. If you need it for the heal you are already screwed.)
6) Mantra: I'm at the point now where I use Overawe for the DPS boost. Earlier I used the Dodge+20% armor but now its pointless with my life drain. Try either one, or try the healing+life on heal mantra.

Spirit: Spend it all on the mantra all the time. Keep the wind and 15% damage up.
My Gear: 16k DPS with the 15% up but not counting mantra, 1500 life on hit and two fast weapons. 19% movement speed, lots of +attack speed, most armor pieces stack DEX, Arcane and All Resists. Vit on a few.

So a little something like this:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/monk#bdgiXk!ZUX!ZbYZba

Looks interesting. Heh, yeah, Mantra of Conviction with Overawe is just too damn good to put down...especially after the Mantra of Healing nerfs.

I can never get over how slow Deadly Reach is, though. But I suppose that's why you emphasize fast weapons. Not the fastest of killing builds, but should be very survivable. And I like the synergy of Dashing Strike to keep the baddies coming at you in a line to make better use of Deadly Reach.

Back