Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

wow, just wow...

I played through all of Normal on my macbook pro(2.2ghz i7, 16gb ram, ati 6750m 1gb, 128gb m4 ssd)
averaging around 30-40fps for the most part.

I Just got my new windows gaming machine built, minus new video card that isn't here yet, and I was worried because the video card i'm using was much older. (i5 3570k, 8gb ram, 8800gts 512mb, 256gb m4 ssd)

i've been averaging around 150+fps...
ahahah

I really guess everyone was right in that blizzard fucked up the optimization for osx :-(

it plays like a completely different game going from 30fps to 100+

Last edited:
So I did manage to get to Hell last night (took me long enough) with my monk, and... fuck me. I was able to get this far without using AH, but I guess this is no longer the case. I'm only level 52 doing maybe 2k damage, so not really all that great by any means. The only thing that fucks me up are mobs with a molten mod.

I'm guess dual-wielding isn't all that viable either. :mad:

wow, just wow...

I played through all of Normal on my macbook pro(2.2ghz i7, 16gb ram, ati 6750m 1gb, 128gb m4 ssd)
averaging around 30-40fps for the most part.

I Just got my new windows gaming machine built, minus new video card that isn't here yet, and I was worried because the video card i'm using was much older. (i5 3570k, 8gb ram, 8800gtx 512mb, 256gb m4 ssd)

i've been averaging around 150+fps...
ahahah

I really guess everyone was right in that blizzard fucked up the optimization for osx :-(

it plays like a completely different game going from 30fps to 100+

8800 is GOAT. It just keeps on truckin. Diablo 3 really doesn't require a beefy video card at all though to be honest, you could run it on much much less with good results probably.

Could someone please clarify how spell damage works in this game? There is no information in game.

What was your inferno spec, or current spec?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/wizard#alXQRO!fdY!cbaYbY

To kill Diablo I dropped Blizzard for Magic Weapon - Force. I almost had him with a 5 stack of valor using the linked build, but there is a bug with teleport that causes his fireball to track you no matter where you go. Caused me to die with literally a few percent to go, so I changed it up to do more damage to get the fight over with. That's my farming spec, however.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to use Force Armor combined with stacking high hp / resist. If you know you're going to get hit, you pop Diamond Skin, teleport is reset, you blink away and have lost ZERO health. If your max HP total is too low, the hit will eat through Diamond Skin / Force Armor and damage you. Done properly, you can take 3-4 hits from nearly any mob in Inferno when using a health potion.

That said, I don't think I will ever be able to kill Soul Lasher packs in Act III. I much prefer the half-bodied ones in Act IV. Oh sweet, sweet revenge...

Could someone please clarify how spell damage works in this game? There is no information in game.

I'm guessing you don't have advanced tooltips on.

Otherwise, if you're asking in general, it is derived from your weapons. All spells indicate the % of damage they do, based on your equipped weapon. Intelligence is your 'damage' stat. Mouseover your character screen details if you want to see this in-game.

When you mouse over a skill and press Alt (or Ctrl... I don't remember which) it will show you the numbers.

Alternatively, you can go to Options/Gameplay and select "show advanced tooltips".

Thanks, I enabled advanced tool tips and it works now. But I don't understand, if I am a wizard, how is my spell damaged derived from weapons?

Belial Inferno is the biggest cockblock ever. Best try on my wizard, out of about 100 today, got him to 1% third phase and just died on the breath. Damn he has so much health. Damn that boss to hell.

Thanks, I enabled advanced tool tips and it works now. But I don't understand, if I am a wizard, how is my spell damaged derived from weapons?

its the same for monks, doesnt really matter what weapon we have equiped because we never use them in combat you still punch and the weapon warps to your sides or back.

Belial Inferno is the biggest cockblock ever. Best try on my wizard, out of about 100 today, got him to 1% third phase and just died on the breath. Damn he has so much health. Damn that boss to inferno.

FTFY :D

its the same for monks, doesnt really matter what weapon we have equiped because we never use them in combat you still punch and the weapon warps to your sides or back.

Same for WD. I never use any melee skills, yet I've always got a sword or axe which determines the dmg of my spider jars.

Can't understand, why they introduce the henchmen, when they are taken from you during final fight. Killing Diablo on my own, is very hard... why I can't take my tank templar, who can heal me, or could draw Diablo's attention for few critical seconds is beyond comprehension.

After 10 trials on alst fight on my DH, I only reached phase 2, adn then died faster then in phase 1.... guess I'll have to re-run act 4 instances to get more gear and XP, as lev 31 and 400 dps is a bit too low there. (using entangled shot as primary attack and burst of arrows as secondary)

if i had to guess blizzard's reasoning is so that they could get away with fewer class-specific items like wands, scepters, staves etc. (when addressing the spell/weapon damage dynamic)

i'm hoping that once blizzard puts in more loot that there will be more items for non-physical damage dealers to use that aren't weapons and they can patch it up. just for sanity's sake

In general you can look at weapon damage as the "Damage" on your character screen divided by your weapon's attacks per seconds.

So 9000dps/1.4aps= 6430 weapon damage
This includes extra damage from crits and stuff but it's a good way to get an average weapon damage.

This means that slower weapons are generally much better for wizards since it's a lower divisor

Can't understand, why they introduce the henchmen, when they are taken from you during final fight. Killing Diablo on my own, is very hard... why I can't take my tank templar, who can heal me, or could draw Diablo's attention for few critical seconds is beyond comprehension.

After 10 trials on alst fight on my DH, I only reached phase 2, adn then died faster then in phase 1.... guess I'll have to re-run act 4 instances to get more gear and XP, as lev 31 and 400 dps is a bit too low there. (using entangled shot as primary attack and burst of arrows as secondary)

Hmm, I'd say gear is an issue for sure. My DH is level 29 with 668.9 DPS. He has gear from drops that my Wizard and Barbarian found on Normal, but nothing from Auction House or higher difficulties. He WTFPwns everything.
Vs1G8.jpg

after more than 48 hours of no reply on my ticket request -- I tried calling blizzard only to be told "sorry our phone queue is full" please try your call again later.

Really? I knew about the 1-2 hour wait times, but straight up full? holy crap it's worse than I thought.

Belial Inferno is the biggest cockblock ever. Best try on my wizard, out of about 100 today, got him to 1% third phase and just died on the breath. Damn he has so much health. Damn that boss to hell.

Are you using a venom hydra? Put that down and all you have to focus on is staying alive.

took me hours to kill Belial on my WD solo, but I actually enjoyed the fight

I dont think inferno is ridiculously bad, its just that the monsters have way too much health to be able to do anything against the champion packs. I mean, I cant even imagine a 4 person coop in inferno, might as well not even try. If they tone down the health of champion packs, It would make inferno more possible.

They got a little crazy in this game with the HP scaling. They need it toned down in both hell and inferno. 4 person coops in both difficulties just give the monsters way way too much HP. I can deal with them doing crazy damage, its just that they have borderline godmode HP.

It varies I guess. I think the HP on mobs is ok in inferno. They can tone down hp scaling in groups a tad for Inferno, but the real issue is mob damage scaling vs. melee characters and mob damage in general. Blizzard did say they felt that inferno was too 'spikey'.

In general people don't really have an issue with dealing enough damage for Inferno, or at least my groups haven't. We did 4 man coop through Act 4 and downed Diablo (one person did leave before Diablo though).

Is inferno "hard"? Yes.

Is inferno "fun"? No.

There's a good article about it here: http://www.gosugamers.net/diablo/features/2916

i havent played much diablo yet, not even close to inferno, i wonder if its basically meant to not be fun for a while; if it might be more enjoyable once the community as a whole starts finding better loot and stronger, more refined builds...

kinda like ubers for d2...something not survivable until you had characters really geared up

I just started Hell on my Barb. I've got like 17khp and do something like 3.5kdps.

Am I about on par with where I should be gear wise?

So I did manage to get to Hell last night (took me long enough) with my monk, and... fuck me. I was able to get this far without using AH, but I guess this is no longer the case. I'm only level 52 doing maybe 2k damage, so not really all that great by any means. The only thing that fucks me up are mobs with a molten mod.

I'm guess dual-wielding isn't all that viable either. :mad:

I just finished Hell with my monk, also not playing the auction house game here. Which certainly makes it more difficult. Nicer items do pop up more often in Hell, especially the later stages, so if you are going through hell, keep going :)

Had to abandon dual wielding myself, the added dodge did not outweigh the importance of Armor and Vitality given by a good shield. Hell gets real comfortable about 3500 dps and very easy at around 6000 dps.

I just started Hell on my Barb. I've got like 17khp and do something like 3.5kdps.

Am I about on par with where I should be gear wise?
Well, for what's it worth... I think my monk was at about 12k hp, and 2k dps, and I was getting roflstomped when I started Hell (i'm talking about the mobs only. regular zombies i can kill without blinking). A friend just gave me some handmedowns, so my hp is now at 19k, but my dps still sucks. I'm still kiting anything with "molten" mod. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Earlier in one of these threads there were talk of a few new Diablo clones coming out. One of them was not well known because the company is not advertising. I can't find the name. It is not Grim Dawn or PoE. It had a four letter acronym for the name I think. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I am completely fucking done with this piece of shit game. Being two seconds behind everything because Blizzard won't provide servers for areas they double-charge in is fucking unacceptable.

i feel like i wasted my money on this game, i'm at belial on nightmare with my barb and starting act 2 with a dh on normal and i am so bored.... the lag is awesome too

I am completely fucking done with this piece of shit game. Being two seconds behind everything because Blizzard won't provide servers for areas they double-charge in is fucking unacceptable.

Yeah what the hell is with that? I get 300+ms AVERAGE. GMT -7. I'm guessing everyone in the east are getting sub 100ms pings. Sigh.

Yeah what the hell is with that? I get 300+ms AVERAGE. GMT -7. I'm guessing everyone in the east are getting sub 100ms pings. Sigh.

Actually, their servers should be in CA west coast as far as I know.

Anyways, Blizzard actually stated that ping times in D3 are actually "more accurate" than other games, so this is part of the reason the ping times looks higher.

To me it does seem like they are a little laggy though. Minions hit me from so far away sometimes as I am moving. You can tell the reason is server load as well because I always ping like 40-50 after like midnight or so.

i havent played much diablo yet, not even close to inferno, i wonder if its basically meant to not be fun for a while; if it might be more enjoyable once the community as a whole starts finding better loot and stronger, more refined builds...

kinda like ubers for d2...something not survivable until you had characters really geared up

Nightmare is more exciting with the mobs from time to time having surprises like immunity shields and others. Then you realize the story lines are the same and it becomes as easy as Normal. Hell through Act II is a snooze fest with the occasional mob that will one shot you. Hell introduces you to elites that blow up after death in a one shot manuver. They one shot you also when alive if they gang up on you. Act III was ridiculous when I went with my 60 friend but I'm not sure how bad it is solo.

I don't skip mobs regardless of how annoying they are to kill. The AH has some nice gear as I've been as far as ATC III Hell and finally gotten a pair of level 51 boots for my 58 Demon Hunter. Mostly I get level 40 - 46 items which I suspect aren't good enough to start Inferno with. But the game is what it is and I don't pretend to make it great. Some like it, some hate it, I'm indifferent.

Actually, their servers should be in CA west coast as far as I know.

Anyways, Blizzard actually stated that ping times in D3 are actually "more accurate" than other games, so this is part of the reason the ping times looks higher.

To me it does seem like they are a little laggy though. Minions hit me from so far away sometimes as I am moving. You can tell the reason is server load as well because I always ping like 40-50 after like midnight or so.

So Blizzard and Diablo 3 are great because there is no attempt to cover up how fuck-awful the lag is? Thanks for clearing that up fella.

Last night I was kiting mobs and just kept rubberbanding back into them. Every 1 - 2 seconds I'd swap positions with the mobs. If I wasn't so frustrated I would have FRAPS's it for you'll to view the greatest DH kiting video ever. It got so bad I nearly completely stopped using anything but Strafe as trying to use any other shot was an exercise in futility.

Which opens another can of worms; When are they going to nerf Strafe as I just twirled around Hell Act II like I was a ballerina for 4 hours last night. It's more OP than Smoke Screen ever was. I purposely went looking for packs of elite snakes to blow up for kicks.

I'm getting between 100-250ms, usually toward the higher end of that, and I live ~45 minutes from NYC. Normally in FPS titles I see single digit to sub-teen pings (since so many servers are based in, ya know, one of the largest cities in the world), so it's incredibly frustrating that in such a basic game I have to worry about my ping....

I hate to say it, but I'm really tired of the so-called "end game" inferno mode. I'm nearly done with Act II but in reality all I'm doing is farming. Just farming gold, items to sell for gold, or the one-in-a-trillion chance to farm an item I can use. Single items are SO expensive at this point (well more than 1m per item to get a decent upgrade), and even if I *had* the time to sit there and farm I'm just not motivated to do so. Lets say I spend 50 hours farming gold and items, get my DH totally maxed out, what's the ultimate payoff? To beat the same game, for the fourth time, with the same character? I know this isn't necessarily any different from the earlier Diablo games, and maybe it's my age talking, but I'm just not motivated to farm for hours.

I've got a friend coming over next week for some D3 "LAN" action (since there's no real LAN use going on...), and I think we'll probably just start new characters together to experience the different playstyle. After that, I'm not sure I'll bother booting it up again.

Had to abandon dual wielding myself, the added dodge did not outweigh the importance of Armor and Vitality given by a good shield. Hell gets real comfortable about 3500 dps and very easy at around 6000 dps.

Find a shield with a large amount of Dex and you'll probably have higher DPS than dual wielding.

Back