• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

Not to mention, Human Revolution was quite an awesome game, well and truly a worthy sequel.
It was supposed to be a prequel. And it was awesome by today's crappy COD standards but felt extremely hand holding and patronizing compared to the original.
 
I've seen this excuse thrown around willy nilly in many cases, but what is the problem with the story and mechanics that was good 15 years ago, but makes it useless now?
Well, I can't get into it. The gameplay is just too much for me to get into. I might be able to if I played it prior but that isn't the case.
 
They are remaking system shock, they could remake this game. although there may be changes. example, you could kill a kid in the original. they probably would not let that happen.
 
They dumbed down the RPG elements a little bit, but in the process they've created a more believable world. I know it was due to technical limitations, but the first one never felt like a living world to me, even when it first came out. It all takes place in Urban sprawls, but I never felt like I was in a real city. The new ones bring me into the world a lot better. Sure a bit more complexity would be nice, but I think they're doing a decent job as is.
 
I've seen this excuse thrown around willy nilly in many cases, but what is the problem with the story and mechanics that was good 15 years ago, but makes it useless now?

I played it for the first time about a year ago(I was burnt on all shooters when it first came out) and while I think it's a great game that deserves all of the accolades it receives it has more that's outdated than just the graphics. The controls are extremely clunky and many gameplay elements are overly simplistic, such as *minor spoilers* the raid on the hotel where the one character is invulnerable to all attacks but if you leave through the back way he dies automatically(even if you kill everyone first). If you leave through the front door you can let him kill everyone first or even leave while they're still alive and he'll be fine.

I've played enough older games that none of the issues bothered me that much but I don't think it would be palatable to modern audiences without a ground up remake.
 
I played it for the first time about a year ago(I was burnt on all shooters when it first came out) and while I think it's a great game that deserves all of the accolades it receives it has more that's outdated than just the graphics. The controls are extremely clunky and many gameplay elements are overly simplistic, such as *minor spoilers* the raid on the hotel where the one character is invulnerable to all attacks but if you leave through the back way he dies automatically(even if you kill everyone first). If you leave through the front door you can let him kill everyone first or even leave while they're still alive and he'll be fine.

I've played enough older games that none of the issues bothered me that much but I don't think it would be palatable to modern audiences without a ground up remake.
That's probably a bug, when I played I remember I had to kill everyone and talk to him thereafter for him to survive. I don't think it's any more simplistic than HR. At least the inventory is good, as opposed to that atrocity in HR. And it's well balanced. In HR all energy consuming augmentations are worthless because a single jar of energy takes up half of your inventory space. While in the original you could store 30 energy cells in a single slot, each of which regenerates 75% of your energy. But the worst in HR when you find a weapon mod. You don't know which weapon it will fit until you pick it up, but any weapon mod takes up 4 inventory spaces, and you'll probably never have that much free space in your inventory after the first mission. So you have to drop something. And what can you drop to quickly free up 4 spaces? A weapon. So you randomly select a weapon and drop it, then proceed to pick up the mod. And then you realize that the mod fits the weapon you just dropped. So you have to drop something else, pick up the weapon apply the mod, then pick up the item dropped the second time. And this is just one of the pathetic flaws of HR. Here is my full recounting of problems with the game.
 
That's probably a bug, when I played I remember I had to kill everyone and talk to him thereafter for him to survive. I don't think it's any more simplistic than HR. At least the inventory is good, as opposed to that atrocity in HR. And it's well balanced. In HR all energy consuming augmentations are worthless because a single jar of energy takes up half of your inventory space. While in the original you could store 30 energy cells in a single slot, each of which regenerates 75% of your energy. But the worst in HR when you find a weapon mod. You don't know which weapon it will fit until you pick it up, but any weapon mod takes up 4 inventory spaces, and you'll probably never have that much free space in your inventory after the first mission. So you have to drop something. And what can you drop to quickly free up 4 spaces? A weapon. So you randomly select a weapon and drop it, then proceed to pick up the mod. And then you realize that the mod fits the weapon you just dropped. So you have to drop something else, pick up the weapon apply the mod, then pick up the item dropped the second time. And this is just one of the pathetic flaws of HR. Here is my full recounting of problems with the game.
Good review, I agree on all accounts actually. I'd have given the game a higher rating though only because it's miles ahead of anything else developed these days.

Also, you hit the nail on the head with your comments on the vent systems. That was one of my bigger pet peeves. In DX the vent systems seemed like they were there for, ya know, actual air circulation lol

This was my opinion of vents in DX:HR (and this exact design actually occurs more than once in the game):
1MLAunZ.png
 
I played it for the first time about a year ago(I was burnt on all shooters when it first came out) and while I think it's a great game that deserves all of the accolades it receives it has more that's outdated than just the graphics. The controls are extremely clunky and many gameplay elements are overly simplistic, such as *minor spoilers* the raid on the hotel where the one character is invulnerable to all attacks but if you leave through the back way he dies automatically(even if you kill everyone first). If you leave through the front door you can let him kill everyone first or even leave while they're still alive and he'll be fine.

I've played enough older games that none of the issues bothered me that much but I don't think it would be palatable to modern audiences without a ground up remake.
True. Even System Shock 2 and the first two Thief games have similar control issues. But at the time it was overshadowed by the innovative gameplay, level design and great stories. You simply got sucked into these game worlds and enjoyed every minute of it. They look and play rough today but that shouldn't keep anyone from enjoying them in their vanilla state or modded.
 
True. Even System Shock 2 and the first two Thief games have similar control issues. But at the time it was overshadowed by the innovative gameplay, level design and great stories. You simply got sucked into these game worlds and enjoyed every minute of it. They look and play rough today but that shouldn't keep anyone from enjoying them in their vanilla state or modded.
Well at least System Shock 2 I can really remember as being clunky even when it was new. But I never felt the same about DX. Actually the clunkiness served a purpose in that. Your slow handling of weapons represented your skill level with each weapon. After reaching master skill level for a specific weapon class, the clunkiness was no more. Which was a great system imo that games should have adopted since. Instead of the stupidity that the same bullet coming out from the same weapon causes different levels of damage based on your skill level. That's just stupid.
 
That's probably a bug, when I played I remember I had to kill everyone and talk to him thereafter for him to survive. I don't think it's any more simplistic than HR. At least the inventory is good, as opposed to that atrocity in HR. And it's well balanced. In HR all energy consuming augmentations are worthless because a single jar of energy takes up half of your inventory space. While in the original you could store 30 energy cells in a single slot, each of which regenerates 75% of your energy. But the worst in HR when you find a weapon mod. You don't know which weapon it will fit until you pick it up, but any weapon mod takes up 4 inventory spaces, and you'll probably never have that much free space in your inventory after the first mission. So you have to drop something. And what can you drop to quickly free up 4 spaces? A weapon. So you randomly select a weapon and drop it, then proceed to pick up the mod. And then you realize that the mod fits the weapon you just dropped. So you have to drop something else, pick up the weapon apply the mod, then pick up the item dropped the second time. And this is just one of the pathetic flaws of HR. Here is my full recounting of problems with the game.

I agree that the inventory system sucked and space was too limited in HR, that's why I always use a mod(cheat) that increases what you can carry. I get that they were trying to increase realism but it just increased how much micro-management was necessary IMO. Plus I've been burned enough times in old games for not picking up some random looking item or a specific number of something common that I've been conditioned to not want to leave anything behind.

True. Even System Shock 2 and the first two Thief games have similar control issues. But at the time it was overshadowed by the innovative gameplay, level design and great stories. You simply got sucked into these game worlds and enjoyed every minute of it. They look and play rough today but that shouldn't keep anyone from enjoying them in their vanilla state or modded.

I'm not saying that the game isn't really good, I thoroughly enjoyed it and plan on playing it again in the future. I just don't think that a graphics overhaul would be enough for it to be well received today, the other issues could be fixed but it might take a lot of work.
 
Good review, I agree on all accounts actually. I'd have given the game a higher rating though only because it's miles ahead of anything else developed these days.

Also, you hit the nail on the head with your comments on the vent systems. That was one of my bigger pet peeves. In DX the vent systems seemed like they were there for, ya know, actual air circulation lol

This was my opinion of vents in DX:HR (and this exact design actually occurs more than once in the game):
1MLAunZ.png

I know that happened a few times, but typically it required you to hack and/or do other things as well.
 
Maybe it just me, but I think I might be more interested in the soundtrack of this game than the actual game play(since it is created by the same person who made the ST of DX:HR). I would just sit back and listen to the music in DX:HR, it fit the mood so well. With that said DX:HR is one of my favorite games of all time and I look forward( and hope this game is good) to this game.
 
I know that happened a few times, but typically it required you to hack and/or do other things as well.

Not necessarily, as stated, in the first one they made sense and there was a point to them, not just as an obvious way around something stupid, plus you could seriously screw yourself going the wrong way lol.
 
I know that happened a few times, but typically it required you to hack and/or do other things as well.
You didn't need to do two things ever. You could hack the laser fence, pick the door lock, or use the vent. You almost always had this choice. It was so blatantly and obviously presented that it took all the fun out of it. You didn't discover a back way, or alternate route, they were handed to you on a silver platter. It never felt like an achievement.
 
Thats good news. That means no more delays! I hope it comes out sooner...... but it won't.
 
You didn't need to do two things ever. You could hack the laser fence, pick the door lock, or use the vent. You almost always had this choice. It was so blatantly and obviously presented that it took all the fun out of it. You didn't discover a back way, or alternate route, they were handed to you on a silver platter. It never felt like an achievement.

I recall an instance that required a vent and hacking to get by. Pretty sure it was in the DLC.
 
I recall an instance that required a vent and hacking to get by. Pretty sure it was in the DLC.
Yeah I never got around to playing that. I have both the dlc and the directors cut but the game is just not interesting enough to play trough a second time. I tried, but never got trough the first chapter. But I did finish the original at least a dozen times, and even then I still found new ways of completing some goals. I even finished Invisible War at least three times. I hope Mankind Divided will be better, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm not even sure if I'm going to get it at release.
 
I was able to tackle certain areas of the game with different play styles and even got to objectives using different routes. It wasn't an open world game but it wasn't CoD linear either. I think it hit a good balance between the two. I don't want to spend 50 minutes figuring out what I have to do, and I don't want to see many canned large open maps either. I do think the vent system can use a bit of work. Most of it was average but there were some very simple/straightforward ones like you mentioned. Not enough to make it a bad game, IMO.

I redid the Singapore mission by hacking a turret and carrying it around the facility. Worked as a good shield and killed bad guys easily. Time before that I did a stealth approach and I think I only altered people a few times... but they died seconds later regardless. So there is some flexibility. With luck the next game will be even better.
 
You know, I ...... need to do that. I always play to maximize my exp, even thogh I know I don't need to. But it's just a habit. But I should do a run through with just slaughtering enemies.......... by carrying a turret around. That sounds fun..
 
all the previews sound very good...looks like they improved upon Human Revolution...the DX12 features sound nice as well, hopefully this is the game that shows what DX12 is capable of...
 
CDkeys has it at $37.79 as of today. I think I might break down and give it a try, I could use a hand holding game after 200 hours of Dark Souls lol.
 
The price has been fluctuating a lot on cdkeys, it was down to $32 once and up to $38 now. I think I bought it when it was around $35.
 
I'm REALLY looking forward to this game.



But never forget. No preorders.
 
The price has been fluctuating a lot on cdkeys, it was down to $32 once and up to $38 now. I think I bought it when it was around $35.

The last 3 games I got from them were around $35, the day or 2 before release they tend to drop and after release shoot back up.
 
The only thing I've seen so far that was a turn off I believe... well, actually its what I heard...

The change to the voice actor for Sariff.... good lord.

That's gonna take some getting used to.
 
since this is an AMD sponsored game I'm wondering if they're going to bundle it with their video cards...it would be great to be able to pick up a code for cheap on forums

if they were going to bundle the game they probably would have announced the promotion by now...I'm thinking they'll bundle the game with their new cards but a few weeks after the game comes out
 
The price has been fluctuating a lot on cdkeys, it was down to $32 once and up to $38 now. I think I bought it when it was around $35.

I'll definitely pick this up soon. Been using cdkeys for all my games and never had a problem!
 
I wasn't a fan of HR, but I liked the original game back in the day.

I have HR on Steam and never beat it, actually I quit about half way through the game. Is it worth my time and effort to go back to see how the story plays out before getting Mankind Divided? The new game just looks so much better than HR to me.
 
Yes- the story in Human Revolution sets up this one... Global catastrophe and all that...

What part of the game didn't you like? People around here might give you hints on skipping it / making it easy... Plus, the director's cut changed the boss fights dramatically (you pretty much don't have to direct fight).
 
Yes- the story in Human Revolution sets up this one... Global catastrophe and all that...

What part of the game didn't you like? People around here might give you hints on skipping it / making it easy... Plus, the director's cut changed the boss fights dramatically (you pretty much don't have to direct fight).

I just originally found it kind of dull. I will give it another whirl though this weekend. Between no mans sky and this coming out this month I'm about to have my work cut out for me
 
Right? I have always laughed at people who take time off for a movie opening or a game release, but here I ma with use it or loose it vacation days and those two about to drop.... :rolleyes:
 
If you hated HR, then yea. It probably won't be something you're interested in.
 
I wouldn't say that I hated it. There are some great aspects of HR, visuals, color pallete , soundtrack ( I even bought Mccann's score). Gameplay was okay, but not even challenging on give me deus ex mode. But story...Was fun for a while. There were many different bad and limited aspects, especially in gameplay.I mean it was dissapointment, I guess as for many hardcore fans, compared to old ones. It was okay game for 1 run. I play 1st Deus Ex every 2-3 years, still find something interesting, different paths to complete the level. Wouldn't say the same about HR, finished it one time and couldn't bring myself to finish it again.
 
Back
Top