Deus Ex : Mankind Divided

I'm sure all 5 tiers will be unlocked by the masses...so for those that actually want to pre-order you can just sit back and wait for it

I'm sure all 5 tiers will be unlocked by the masses...so for those that actually want to pre-order you can just sit back and wait for it

Which NO ONE should be doing to avoid supporting this kind of nonsense.

Console gamers eat this kind of thing up because there are rarely consequences. At least beyond giving Gamestop a $5 loan for a month.

I remember Steam doing this tier pre-order nonsense on their own for select titles for a short while...all the tiers always got unlocked pretty quick

My problem is just that i don't want just part of it. When i purchase a game, i want the full fuckin thing.

I bought DX:HR when it came out, coincidentally my roommate pirated it the same day... was pretty stupid watching him on missions and using items and weapons that i didn't even have in my purchased game.

I bought DX:HR when it came out, coincidentally my roommate pirated it the same day... was pretty stupid watching him on missions and using items and weapons that i didn't even have in my purchased game.

I remember buying DX:HR from GameStop because it came with the Tracer Tong exclusive mission :D

My problem is just that i don't want just part of it. When i purchase a game, i want the full fuckin thing.

What did the game miss on release? I never looked I don't think or I forgot.

And yea, this pre order thing is fucking retarded.

What did the game miss on release? I never looked I don't think or I forgot.

And yea, this pre order thing is fucking retarded.

All sorts of stuff. There was a double-barrelled shotgun, remote detonated mines, tracer tong mission, and i think some other door unlocking item.

All this was finally added to the Director's Cut. So i had to buy the game twice to get the full thing :rolleyes:

Guess I'll be waiting for the Director's cut on sale next Thanksgiving. I do not support this kind of preorder nonsense. Besides, there are many other great games to play this holiday season.

Just think if we all just waited to buy the director's cut... I know, tis but a dream... -___-

From my understanding, it is like how a few games did it in the past. If 100K pre-order, one thing is unlocked, if 200K pre-order another is unlocked, ect. I recall a game doing this where they gave the prequel away free once enough pre-orders were made. Not too bad IMO.

Maybe I am missing something though. I hate store specific pre-oders though.

I was going to buy this game when it came out (assuming impressions were good), but I think I'll wait until the ultimate/DLC/whatever edition comes out instead after all of this nonsense.

pre-order bonuses are the stupidest ever. Especially if they're exclusive to certain retailers or regions. I want a full fucking game, with everything included in it. For this very reason I won't not just preorder but won't buy the game at all.

Oh Square Enix...
Welp, there's tons of other games for me to play. They can take this precedent and shove it up their ass. I wonder who the next publisher to try something like this will be. My vote is on Ubisoft.

All sorts of stuff. There was a double-barrelled shotgun, remote detonated mines, tracer tong mission, and i think some other door unlocking item.

All this was finally added to the Director's Cut. So i had to buy the game twice to get the full thing :rolleyes:

Wow, that's totally gay. I don't care too much about the gun, but remote mines sounds awesome and another mission would've been cool. I guess I missed out on that. Sigh. I'm not buying it again though. Fuck that.

Really making me think about pirating Mankind divided until GOTY/DC version is out.

there's no guarantee a DC of Mankind Divided will be coming out...I'm hoping that the game will be bundled with AMD/Nvidia cards so codes can be had online for cheap...bundled codes is the popular way of snagging new AAA games for cheap these days

Oh Square Enix...
Welp, there's tons of other games for me to play. They can take this precedent and shove it up their ass. I wonder who the next publisher to try something like this will be. My vote is on Ubisoft.

Just about every big developer has been doing this for years. Have you been living under a rock? Ubisoft has been doing it since ~2008 or so. Not a fan of it, but not sure why people are making a big deal about this particular title. HR did similar.

As long as it is not retailer specific (which tends to be included in a DLC seasons pass or standalone eventually) its not too big of a deal.

As for the "we get this many pre-orders, you get more stuff" has been met positively by many in the past, even on this forum. Don't recall the specific titles. Borderlands Pre-Sequel and Bioshock Infinite I think?

The DLC actually was available for sale independently. They and the base game are now removed however due to the DC version.

Wow, that's totally gay. I don't care too much about the gun, but remote mines sounds awesome and another mission would've been cool. I guess I missed out on that. Sigh. I'm not buying it again though. Fuck that.

Really making me think about pirating Mankind divided until GOTY/DC version is out.

The main issue was the missing mission which was tied into the story and featured a character important to the DX series.

Actually the guns and other items could be added via a debug console. They also were somewhat out of place in the game world if you consider the general theme and gameplay.

there's no guarantee a DC of Mankind Divided will be coming out...I'm hoping that the game will be bundled with AMD/Nvidia cards so codes can be had online for cheap...bundled codes is the popular way of snagging new AAA games for cheap these days

If it gets bundled it would be with AMD and not Nvidia.

Although not sure how aggressive AMD will be pursuing bundles.

Missing out on a mission is what kills it for me. By the time I bought Human Revolution, the Tracer Tong mission was included in the GOTY (or whatever it was called) version that I bought on Steam. I'll wait for the same here.

Honestly, I'm still salty about the Mass Effect 3 day 1 DLC. That opened my eyes to pre-order shenanigans.

Seems normal like tiers. Nothing wrong with it. If all people pre-order game will be released sooner and also have the bonuses.

It is the full game you receive. The extra mission will anyways be DLC just like there was one mission released later on some random boat in Deux Ex HR.

Basically if you don't pre-order, you get an incomplete game, with a missing mission taken out just for pre-order people. Disgusting.

Sweet, we've got someone here with the inside track on DX:MD's development schedule! Since you can authoritatively state that this DLC will be done in time to be included on the game disc but they're stripping it out anyway, any juicy bits of story or gameplay you want to share with us too?

Seems normal like tiers. Nothing wrong with it. If all people pre-order game will be released sooner and also have the bonuses.

It is the full game you receive. The extra mission will anyways be DLC just like there was one mission released later on some random boat in Deux Ex HR.

Seriously? I have never seen such a shitty pre-order. Maybe the games I buy typically don't have it but I really don't see pre-orders where what you receive is based on the volume of pre-orders. I.E. turning pre-order folks into marketing minions. THAT is total BS.

Man, talk about making people want to pirate a game....

Seriously? I have never seen such a shitty pre-order. Maybe the games I buy typically don't have it but I really don't see pre-orders where what you receive is based on the volume of pre-orders. I.E. turning pre-order folks into marketing minions. THAT is total BS.

Man, talk about making people want to pirate a game....

It's been done before, as an example Bioshock Infinite - http://kotaku.com/5986321/bioshock-...cheme-is-a-bold-step-in-consumer-manipulation

Crowdfunding reward tiers are what this type of system is based upon. There are other variants as well now being used such as F2P games unlocking content by download tiers.

In this case it's likely a fake incentive. No absolute numbers so you can see it being adjusted at a whim most likely :p

The main issue was the missing mission which was tied into the story and featured a character important to the DX series.

Actually the guns and other items could be added via a debug console. They also were somewhat out of place in the game world if you consider the general theme and gameplay.

Bah, even worst if it was story related... I guess it doesn't affect me as much because I never played the original. I've been contemplate buying it but I think I'll wait for a steam sale.
It's been done before, as an example Bioshock Infinite - http://kotaku.com/5986321/bioshock-...cheme-is-a-bold-step-in-consumer-manipulation

Crowdfunding reward tiers are what this type of system is based upon. There are other variants as well now being used such as F2P games unlocking content by download tiers.

In this case it's likely a fake incentive. No absolute numbers so you can see it being adjusted at a whim most likely :p

Did Bioshock have tiers on top of splitting it? I personally don't mind the tiers as much. It is a shitty system to me, mainly because they don't seem to have enough faith in their own product, which makes me question it quite a bit. It looked great as far as trailers go, though. But the splitting is just like TB said, basically make you choose what not to get.

Tiers have been going on for a while now. It was also with one of the resident evil games, Bioshock and now this one. It isnt a big deal. Also on steam typically the percentage updates based on purchases and the pre orders aren't too many that are required to unlock the maximum tiers. Most games hit full pre order rewards.

Yeah it isn't a big deal, no one should be outraged or find this a unacceptable marketing tactic. In fact we should just bend over and accept as the status quo.

DIssapointed with the Pre-Order scheme.

Worth watching - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-Vx4_prmvo

Basically if you don't pre-order, you get an incomplete game, with a missing mission taken out just for pre-order people. Disgusting.

Good video, and spot on for the most part.

Definitely agree with his comments on starting the game with more stuff.. who really wants extra money and op items at the start of an RPG?

And once again, the pirated copy of the new Deus Ex will be the superior version.

The DLC actually was available for sale independently. They and the base game are now removed however due to the DC version.

The guns, yea... not a big deal. Double-barreled shotgun didn't really fit, and the silenced sniper-rifle could be found elsewhere in game. The remote-detonated explosives, though, were nifty and fun to play with when i finally did get them in the DC. Would have been nice having them on my first or second playthrough.

The extra mission for DX:HR was a Tracer Tong mission, not the Missing Link DLC which was indeed sold separately. To my knowledge the only way to get the Tracer Tong mission was to either pre-order at GameStop or wait for the DC.. perhaps you cuold buy it separately and i wasn't aware?

Sweet, we've got someone here with the inside track on DX:MD's development schedule! Since you can authoritatively state that this DLC will be done in time to be included on the game disc but they're stripping it out anyway, any juicy bits of story or gameplay you want to share with us too?

Also this. Just because DLC started development alongside the main game doesn't mean it was pulled out of the main game. Fact is most of these DLCs were planned as DLC from day 1. They are often done by different studios as well. Features actually pulled from a game and then sold separately are rare.

The Tong mission was very short, about 15 minutes. I actually didn't even notice it when I replayed the Director's Cut. I had to look up youtube and indeed I did play it, but never noticed it.

I don't know what does it have to do with development schedule and such? They want to make a mission that is only obtainable by pre-ordering the game. That's the issue.

And the fact, that you can't have all the content even if you pre-order. You can only choose one thing from each tier. Granted not getting everything happened before with retailer exclusive bonuses. But just because there is a precedent we shouldn't accept it as the way the cookie crumbles. If we don't raise our voices it will soon become the norm.

Also this. Just because DLC started development alongside the main game doesn't mean it was pulled out of the main game. Fact is most of these DLCs were planned as DLC from day 1. They are often done by different studios as well. Features actually pulled from a game and then sold separately are rare.

The Tong mission was very short, about 15 minutes. I actually didn't even notice it when I replayed the Director's Cut. I had to look up youtube and indeed I did play it, but never noticed it.

As far as I'm concerned: if it is developed at the same time as the main game, it's pulling recourses away from core development and it is indeed part of the core experience that gets chopped off.

Back in the day, expansion packs were developed after the core game was developed.

How would anyone know one way or the other?
True. The only way one could say that conclusively is by trusting comments from the publisher. But that's ridiculous, when the pubs have been compulsive liars in the past. It's in their interest to deceive. The average consumer doesn't care, and sometimes even punishes honesty.

As far as I'm concerned: if it is developed at the same time as the main game, it's pulling recourses away from core development and it is indeed part of the core experience that gets chopped off.

Back in the day, expansion packs were developed after the core game was developed.

That doesn't make sense. Do explain these "resources" and how they work. A budget is set, a rough time frame is set, and a number of workers are hired/will be hired. Game is built. Same (but smaller scale) process goes on externally. How is that "pulling resources"? Or how is the original core experience getting "chopped off"?

Are you getting angry at Nvidia for starting research and development of future video cards before they release their next line up? Were you angered that Nvidia "pulled resources" away from the GTX 6** series while they developed the 9** series? Same for every industry.

BTW, large scale expansions typically start in a similar manner. Even sequels do. You think an entire development team is going to stare at their PC while they wait for a few guys to finish polishing the game for release? Of course not. They're already allocated to a sequel, or another project months before their previous one is released/finished.

How would anyone know one way or the other?

Probably we'd notice something shoddy in game. Say mentions of an enemy appearing somewhere, but they never do. Items clearly designed to counter them with no real purpose. But then they pop up in a DLC. :p

Back