Destiny - Discussion Thread

3 kills isn't that special....

It's not the amount of kills, it is threading the needle and sneaking in to the heavy ammo corner right before the third team member slides in, takes them all out, I get their heavy, my team member gets ours, we lock them out for 5000 points and get a come back victory in a match we should have lost.

Ran 3 hard mode raids today... so worn out...

But if we use 343 we might get a more than half baked game like broken saves and zero working multiplayer! :D:D:D:D;)

At least we know 343 will actually fix the problems. They have to otherwise its tarnishing the franchise. Bungie can simply throw its own shit around with little care , they've got a locked contract for a decade.

I think 343 will iron out Halo : MCC and it will be put on sale and people will jump right in. Meanwhile Destiny will have its new 3 missions for SP and a raid and one instance for dungeon runs to hold it over until Fall of next year (rumored).

At least we know 343 will actually fix the problems. They have to otherwise its tarnishing the franchise. Bungie can simply throw its own shit around with little care , they've got a locked contract for a decade.

I think 343 will iron out Halo : MCC and it will be put on sale and people will jump right in. Meanwhile Destiny will have its new 3 missions for SP and a raid and one instance for dungeon runs to hold it over until Fall of next year (rumored).

People I know still say Halo MCC is broken. At least Bungie can do multiplayer right. I've lost all faith in 343 for such a lackluster launch and glad I got a refund. The same with drive club developers, just dead in the water. Not going to give a developer a free pass if the game is more known for its multiplayer and its broken.

I am inclined to give 343 a pass on the whole MCC thing as they only developed one of the games yet are charged with making all 4 play nicely. I don't know enough of the technical details to being to judge just how much of a challenge that is.

on topic, anyone know what todays update will be about, there is nothing on their webpage about it, other than it will be happening

I am inclined to give 343 a pass on the whole MCC thing as they only developed one of the games yet are charged with making all 4 play nicely. I don't know enough of the technical details to being to judge just how much of a challenge that is.

on topic, anyone know what todays update will be about, there is nothing on their webpage about it, other than it will be happening

Not sure on the update, but I still find it stupid that Bungie is waiting until a week before DLC launch before they buff up the exotics that suck. This was probably part of their plan all along, to get people back to playing the game who have left.

Really stupid how they can throw down the nerf bat without testing, yet are so slow to buff anything back to relevance. Don't forget the bugs that they introduce! Vault of Glass would be a 1 hour avg run on hard mode if it weren't for the buggy boss fight sometimes, lol.

http://www.bungie.net/7_Bungie-Weekly-Update---12012014/en/News/News?aid=12433

Destiny patch notes are live!

1.1 : The one about Exotics. And the Raid!

Today's patch includes the long-awaited arrival of Exotics weapon buffs, additional acquisition paths for destination upgrade materials, along with additional changes to exotic gear node upgrading in preparation for the soon-to-be-released expansion, The Dark Below. We're also correcting issues induced by our more recent update to the Raid.

Weapons
Exotics
Exotic Weapons are designed to look, feel, and sound overpowered. At the same time, they are not supposed to break the balance of the game. We hope these weapons challenge the way players think about their loadouts. Exotics will be a constant work in-progress!
General
In preparation for the Dark Below, Exotic Armor and Weapons no longer require Ascendant Materials to upgrade
The final upgrade node of all Exotic Gear will require an Exotic Shard
Exotic Shards can be obtained by one of the following means:
Dismantling unwanted Exotics
Purchased from Xur for 7 Strange Coins
Exotics now start at a higher base Attack value and have a narrowed upgrade range to compensate
Thorn
Projectiles now briefly highlight targets on impact
Mark of the Devourer DoT (damage-over-time) upgrade increased against PvE enemy targets
Reload Speed increased
Magazine Size increased
Ammo inventory size increased
Stability and Weapon Handling increased
Bad Juju
Magazine Size increased to 8 bursts (was 5)
Ammo inventory size increased
String of Curses now also decreases the cooldown of your Super on kill
Adjusted effects to not block first person reticle
Hard Light
Stability increased
Perfect Balance upgrade replaced by Fitted Stock (increases maximum possible weapon Stability)
Suros Regime
Lowered total damage at the end of the mag on SUROS Regime upgrade to be more in line with the Glass Half Full perk on Legendary Auto Rifles
Monte Carlo
Stability increased
Range slightly decreased
Monte Carlo Method upgrade now also has a chance to fully charge melee ability on kill
MIDA Multi-Tool
MIDA rounds now have increased knockback against targets in both PvE and PvP
Hawkmoon
Send It upgrade (which was redundant) replaced by Speed Reload
Red Death
Rate of Fire increased slightly, but Burst Damage reduced to compensate
Plan C
Weapon Handling speed increased
Player Speed increased while Plan C is in hand
Pocket Infinity
Speed Reload upgrade replaced by Extended Clip which allows the option to increase magazine size (5 bursts)
Vex Mythoclast
Attack Power increased to 323 (from 300)
Base Damage increased, fixing bug we introduced in previous patch
Enhanced Battery upgrade by Extended Mag (this change still allows for a significant upgrade to Magazine Size, but less than before)
Invective
Reload Speed increased significantly, auto fires slightly slower
Ice Breaker
Send It upgrade replaced by Lightweight (which was redundant as Icebreaker already had maximum range)
New effects for enemies killed by Ice Breaker upgrade
Patience and Time
Snapshot upgrade replaced by Custom Optics (provides a lower zoom option)
Super Good Advice
Stability increased
Truth
Magazine Size increased to 3 (was 1)

Activities
Raid
Fixed an issue we introduced in a previous patch, in which Atheon did not correctly send 3 players through the time gates
Fixed an exploit where the Templar could be forced off its platform
Daily Heroic Story
Destination Materials now drop from completing the Daily Heroic
Bounties
Removed the ‘Relic Hunter’ Bounty
Destination Materials now drop from completing the Daily Patrol Bounty

Vendors
Reduced Cryptarch reputation gain from Engrams, but reputation reward packages now have an increased chance for Legendary Engrams
Players will now be able to use Vanguard Marks and Crucible Marks to purchase Spinmetal, Relic Iron, Spirit Bloom, and Helium Filaments from the Vanguard and Crucible Quartermasters in the Tower
Xur now sells a new material, Exotic Shards, to upgrade the final node of Exotics for 7 Strange Coins
Faction Class Items (ex: FWC Cloak, Dead Orbit Mark, etc.) are now replaced by Faction Emblems in the rank-up reward packages from Faction Vendors

Technical
Networking fixes, which should reduce the instance of the Bee family of KTOs
Fixed an issue in which using Xbox One party chat induced a slower frame rate

Not bad fixes though I am a bit annoyed about Templar not being able to be forced off his platform. That sucks dick.

I'm going to assume 90% of the community doesn't even know how to fight him legit. Its the big reason my first time fighting him I did it the regular way. Haha

I've never NOT pushed Templar off, I guess I get to learn something new tonight. In other news, since everyone always loves to bash the RNG, it actually showed me a little bit of love last night. I got an exotic Plan C Fusion Rifle last night from a strike. Of course, I had JUST finished upgrading my legendary fusion rifle, but oh well. I still don't have Icebreaker, so it can fill my exotic weapon slot for now.

I'm excited to teach the fight again and actually have fun with the fight and the raid, with all the cheese it was just a chore to get to Atheon for pathetic rewards.

I am still however grateful for running hard mode 3x on Sunday before the patch/reset.

The Templar fight was fun last night. It took MAYBE a bit longer than pushing him off, but it isn't a hard fight. I got my raid boots last night, so that should get me to 29. I have exotic helm, raid chest and now raid boots, just need gloves. I may just hit 30, but level cap increases to 32 next week, so I will be playing catch up it seems.

Finished all my nightfalls and weeklies yesterday in about an hour. God I love solar burn!! Praise the sun!

What is pissing you off exactly? Trading up exotics so they scale with you, a more fleshed out storyline, and more content to raid? How is that a bad thing?

What is pissing you off exactly? Trading up exotics so they scale with you, a more fleshed out storyline, and more content to raid? How is that a bad thing?

Trading up exotics that everyone has already upgraded just to lose all progress on them (Seriously, the reason exotics are good are due to their perks); IT TAKES TIME!.

Using up materials this week after the patch just to find out you've wasted them for nothing because you should have let them stay at default and use just one exotic shard to upgrade your weapon.

Just remember this. If you have a maxed out weapon you require 3 Exotic shards total to max it again. Whereas you could have left it at default damage and upgraded with only 2 exotic shards.

Plus all the wasted telemetries (Costing strange coins) which could have been saved for some exotic shards.

Had we been notified of this in advance (Like this latest exotic patch) people wouldn't have wasted their mats for nothing.

Now, I used up all my marks and I still have several hundred of each material, but its still STUPID that Bungie is doing this just to prolong a game that has a severe lack of content (Yes it's repetitive, I enjoy it but lets call a spade a spade). Crucible is a redeeming feature of Destiny due to its tight gunplay but this is definitely put in place to increase "gameplay" due to lack of content.

Also, raid gear has its own upgrade materials essentially making ascendant shards useless if you want to save up your shards to upgrade the new raid gear.

Oh, and now you need crucible/vanguard radiant tokens in addition to your marks to buy new legendary gear. Crucible/Vanguard radiant tokens only come from levelling up your faction. Another way Bungie has introduced to "stunt" progressing the game too quickly.. which is obviously due to lack of content.

Hard raid isn't released until January... why? Because they know there will be world firsts within 24 hours of it releasing also another way to limit progressing too quickly in this game.

While I do enjoy the game, I can still be a huge critic regarding the state of the game.

People I know still say Halo MCC is broken. At least Bungie can do multiplayer right. I've lost all faith in 343 for such a lackluster launch and glad I got a refund. The same with drive club developers, just dead in the water. Not going to give a developer a free pass if the game is more known for its multiplayer and its broken.

It is still in grave need of patching but I was able to play SP without issues.

343 and the Driveclub developer couldn't be farther apart in their approaches to fixing their games though. Driveclub will forever be broken as they will have to move along to whatever is next. 343 has the "stain" of their launch until its brought into proper form because its a headlining franchise unlike Driveclub.

Destiny in my mind is even worse than broke because Bungie refuses to see how its lacking in content and in greater need of a stronger story line are serious issues. Bungie had to be "told" that chat functionality was important for team work based gaming as well which is just straight up lame. Destiny won't ever be "fixed" frankly since its an MMO (well a poor mans version) and they are prone to being treated poorly. At least Halo : MCC will eventually be fixed into the state it should have launched.

Both are ultimately excuses though , neither should have been launched in their broken states. A game doesn't have to be broken in terms of its access to be considered "broken" to begin with. I had little to no connection issues with Destiny but I do feel regret for buying the $89 version with DLC that I won't ever play. Something I won't do again even for such a well respected developer.

343 and the Driveclub developer couldn't be farther apart in their approaches to fixing their games though. Driveclub will forever be broken as they will have to move along to whatever is next. 343 has the "stain" of their launch until its brought into proper form because its a headlining franchise unlike Driveclub.

Destiny in my mind is even worse than broke because Bungie refuses to see how its lacking in content and in greater need of a stronger story line are serious issues. Bungie had to be "told" that chat functionality was important for team work based gaming as well which is just straight up lame. Destiny won't ever be "fixed" frankly since its an MMO (well a poor mans version) and they are prone to being treated poorly. At least Halo : MCC will eventually be fixed into the state it should have launched.

Both are ultimately excuses though , neither should have been launched in their broken states. A game doesn't have to be broken in terms of its access to be considered "broken" to begin with. I had little to no connection issues with Destiny but I do feel regret for buying the $89 version with DLC that I won't ever play. Something I won't do again even for such a well respected developer.

I do agree with you, and I do have many complains of what Bungie has been doing with my post just above yours.

This teaches me to just go into something all gungho and expect something great. I still have fun with it don't get me wrong, but I do understand not everyone is having fun -- although quite a few still play it.

Well, I put aside Dragon Age : Inquisition to come back to Destiny personally. Mainly the pressure to get to 30 before the level cap increase I guess. I am going to be 29, still lacking raid gloves. I got my raid boots this week and levelled them up last night. I did like the part about the RNG being kinder to players based on what gear has dropped for them in the past - seems like a step in the right direction at least. I STILL haven't done VOG on hard yet - maybe next week.

And yet they still refuse to add matchmaking for the raid

on the verge of getting this. Worth the full price? as a pc gamer, will i be disappointed? I usually buy console games when they have no pc counterpart, but i tend to go for fps games on pc. Recently got a ps4 with the gta5/last of us bundle and they are both good games (i had them on ps3 already but dont mind re-playing them on ps4 with the better resolution).

Dam it, last night I broke down and bought the exotic shard to upgrade my helm with, then this morning read the update notes about how I will need to do it again to get the new shiny 2.0 helm and then a third time to upgrade it. I really wish they had match making for the weekly's, nightfall's and raid. I am not strong enough to run them solo and my play times are too erratic to coordinate with friends. The endgame has very little love for the solo gamer sometimes

on the verge of getting this. Worth the full price? as a pc gamer, will i be disappointed? I usually buy console games when they have no pc counterpart, but i tend to go for fps games on pc. Recently got a ps4 with the gta5/last of us bundle and they are both good games (i had them on ps3 already but dont mind re-playing them on ps4 with the better resolution).

I got my moneys worth, but it's hard to say. People either love or hate this game and it doesn't really open up until level 26+. Even then you will be replaying the same set of content week to week. If you like grindy, repetitive, loot based games that have great co-op content then it is worth a buy. If you play solo a lot then it can get tiring quickly and you probably won't make it to the good end-game stuff (Raids, Nightfall, Iron Banner).

The DLC is going to change things up though, but I'm not sure if it will make progression any quicker. Some parts will be less grindy, some more so and it's hard to say right now what the end result will be.

Well, I spent yesterday getting my level 14 hunter alt levelled up. I had a bank full of legendaries and an exotic chest waiting for him to hit 20. I went from 14 Sunday morning to 26 by Sunday evening. I can now run VOG twice, although my new lvl 26 will still be pretty squishy. I guess technically I could run normal and hard on my 29 warlock as well.

I really need to find some PS4 friends to do strikes with. I dont know anyone really on PS4. Anyone that wants to run with a 36 year old professional/family guy to help level up from 25 to thirty PM me or add me on PSN, nickname is 'ftard'

I really need to find some PS4 friends to do strikes with. I dont know anyone really on PS4. Anyone that wants to run with a 36 year old professional/family guy to help level up from 25 to thirty PM me or add me on PSN, nickname is 'ftard'

I resorted to using the Destiny Companion app and searching for an XB1 group. Once I found one, I looked for folks looking for more people to raid/strike with, or posted my class/lvl and LFG for VOG normal or whatever. Every raid I've done was a PUG found this way. Some are more painful than others to get done, but we usually finish the raid. I would imagine there is an active PS4 group on there as well to help you out.

I'll add you when I get home, my PSN is Basstek. I play with a couple of guys and we are all in our thirties.

Reading on reddit, Bungie are the scum of the earth making people who don't own the DLC feel like complete second class citizens. Just unreal.

hell I thought they had done a decent job of extending love out to those who hadn't bought the dlc. everyone is getting the updated exotics for example.

hell I thought they had done a decent job of extending love out to those who hadn't bought the dlc. everyone is getting the updated exotics for example.

I own the digital guardian edition of Destiny and I feel for the non-DLC owners. This is just scummy IMO. If I didn't own the DLC already I would have stopped playing this game.

How can you lock out old content (from what I'm reading?) Just to force people to buy the DLC?

This is worse than EA.

Sounds like the nightfall/weekly is only gone for a week. Non DLC will still get most of the new weapons and all of the new higher level vendor armor without paying anything. That's a decent trade off.

The new DLC strike was added to the weekly & nightfall rotation. Therefore, anytime the strike is the weekly (such as this week), vanilla users will not be able to participate. However, the following weeks, when it's vanilla strikes, they can play, no problem.

I think Bungie has been rather generous allowing non-dlc users to grab the new DLC based armor and weapons from vendors and higher level exotics.

Also... since I'm not home to check it out myself.. only the new level 26 strike playlist provides engrams for completion. What the hell? (Again, I own the expansion pass). That's just plain stupid.

By them increasing levels of difficulty for dailies and weeklies/nightfalls to level 30 from 28 and not increasing bonus rewards.. this is just another way for Bungie to limit progress.

That is just plain dumb, IMO.

Also... since I'm not home to check it out myself.. only the new level 26 strike playlist provides engrams for completion. What the hell? (Again, I own the expansion pass). That's just plain stupid.

By them increasing levels of difficulty for dailies and weeklies/nightfalls to level 30 from 28 and not increasing bonus rewards.. this is just another way for Bungie to limit progress.

That is just plain dumb, IMO.

That could be a bug though, we will have to wait and see. Daily public event rewards were missing until the patch today due to a bug. They have a pretty bad track record of breaking stuff unintentionally with updates.

With vendor gear being light 33, everyone can buy their way to 31 now so the higher difficulty on the weekly content isn't much of a setback.

Ars posted a review of the new DLC, The Dark Below.
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2014/12/the-dark-below-dlc-highlights-the-worst-parts-of-destiny/

Spoiler: They enjoyed the new raid and one of the new strikes (apparently the PS exclusive strike is pretty light on content), but criticize some of the new weapon mechanics and how the expansion treats vanilla Destiny players.

There's a good quote at the end of the review which I feel summarizes my concerns about Destiny and its future:

When I discovered this (and after hundreds of hours of playing on a daily basis) Destiny finally clicked for me. It has all the trappings of the most abusive, microtransaction laden mobile game: time gated content, infuriatingly random drops, and multiple currencies that change in importance on a whim. No matter how enjoyable the shooting and jetpack-fueled bouncing, it's that slow drip of gear and the promise of a new level I'll probably never reach that's kept me addicted this long. The only difference is, instead of microtransactions, Destiny has The Dark Below—a $20 promise of a new level 30 that I'll probably never reach.

Has anybody with the game on Xbox one had it refuse to launch and had to reinstall it? Had to do this on my sons Xbox one twice in a week now thank god I have 100mb internet and no cap. Haven't had this happen on my Xbox one. Ever other game no issues.

Back