Destiny - Discussion Thread

All I need for my Titan to have full 32 gear is the Saint 14 upgrade, but I can't login to grab it. This is torture. Mind you it will take me weeks to actually hit 32 with all the radiant shards needed...

I'm still waiting for my helm (skullfort) to come up on the upgrade rotation. Or for a decent primary to be sold.

I'm pretty glad I stayed up a bit last night after finally getting logged on to upgrade my Gjallarhorn, Hawkmoon and Saint-14 as everything is down again... ugh.

*insert song about how the rich get richer, and the poor get poorer* (those with gghorn/ballerhorn vs those without it)

Last edited:
I love hearing people bitch about Xur selling some of the exotics and how people who buy them haven't earned them. I have triple digit hours on a single character without a single exotic drop to show for it. Somehow having RNGesus loving you means you earned the damn thing

I love hearing people bitch about Xur selling some of the exotics and how people who buy them haven't earned them. I have triple digit hours on a single character without a single exotic drop to show for it. Somehow having RNGesus loving you means you earned the damn thing

Having "good" RNG (whatever than means, it's random, no such thing...) doesn't mean you can't get frustrated about having nothing/little to show for your time. It does make you sound entitled, but to be fair lots of amazing players got jack all to show for it due to the loot system, which isn't how basically any game works, they're not used to the RNG after coming from other games.

I know in FFXI I had the worst luck ever and went an entire year without getting a piece I wanted, not only did the piece have to drop, we also had to 'roll' for it from that point among a few players who wanted it at the time, ugh.

I'm close to your luck, I have had two exotics drop, one from a nightfall and one from a raid. The logic of people earning exotics is kind of backwards, I would say that those who got lucky through RNG were gifted their exotic. Those that ran weeklies and saved coins 'earned' their exotics. But really it doesn't matter.

I stayed up late and managed to upgrade my Saint 14 so I'm pretty happy. It would have been nice to run bounties and raids on my days off though, damn hackers.

I just started playing this past week. My time is really limited but I'm really enjoying what I have going to so far. It feels like I can go all WoW and grind out my time or enjoy the story w/some grind, which is cool.

That was one of the reasons I stopped playing. I managed to get two exotics and they were both for another class. Nothing like playing 30 plus hours with nothing to show for it.

I just started playing this past week. My time is really limited but I'm really enjoying what I have going to so far. It feels like I can go all WoW and grind out my time or enjoy the story w/some grind, which is cool.

I started playing as well...I am on playstation. I made it to level 15, which oddly didn't take long at all.

ive been a lurker here for a while, was wondering if anybody wanna help me do vault of glass. Im almost level 27. psn is angaholic

The Postmaster has free Gifts to entice you guys (ala Bungie) check it out meanwhile my copy hasn't been touched since November.

I got "the devil you don't know " hand canon has clown cartridge, perfect balance, explosive rounds , mulligan

Last edited:
Got "Another NitC" has radar, and the perk that hawkmoon provides. Also has explosive rounds! Might be a pretty good roll.

Got "Another NitC" has radar, and the perk that hawkmoon provides. Also has explosive rounds! Might be a pretty good roll.

explosive rounds on a scout rifle are amazing. allows them to be used in close ranges as well as to tag enemies behind cover. if I could find a legendary version of the Archon SR5 I would rock that in a heartbeat. prior to the expansion, I could run the rifle with a much higher DPS rate than its 242 damage would suggest

The Postmaster has free Gifts to entice you guys (ala Bungie) check it out meanwhile my copy hasn't been touched since November.

My buddies finished the new "content" (and half of them have full raid sets) in about a week.

My buddies finished the new "content" (and half of them have full raid sets) in about a week.

I've got full raid set on my hunter. 3/4 on my titan. And 2/4 on my warlock.

Already 32 on hunter, I can be 32 on titan but I want the titan raid helm so I can use ruin wings so going to stay at 31 for now. 31 on warlock at the moment too.

I currently just log on for raids, weeklies, nightfalls. Do some bounties to level up whatever I need and call her for the week. Now I can enjoy NBA 2k15, Sunset Overdrive, NHL15, TLoU Remastered, Dragon Age: Inquisition and a few others. The backlog never ends!

I've got full raid set on my hunter. 3/4 on my titan. And 2/4 on my warlock.

Already 32 on hunter, I can be 32 on titan but I want the titan raid helm so I can use ruin wings so going to stay at 31 for now. 31 on warlock at the moment too.

I currently just log on for raids, weeklies, nightfalls. Do some bounties to level up whatever I need and call her for the week. Now I can enjoy NBA 2k15, Sunset Overdrive, NHL15, TLoU Remastered, Dragon Age: Inquisition and a few others. The backlog never ends!

I just got the game last weekend and I'm struggling with getting my rank up doing bounties and such. Didn't take me long to get to level 24 (maybe 20 hours?), but I'm thinking that I'll be 24 for many more hours. I'm now about 200 points away from rank 2, but I read that you have to have rank 3 to have the commendation to get legendary armor. Is that right?

I have received zero legendary armor in my play so far. Last night on a level 24 strike, I did get a legendary band. But as far as I could tell, it was just another bling item.

I can't imagine leveling 3 different characters to level 30+. Is that over 200 hours of play?

You need rank three for weapons along with a commendation now, that you get at each rank up beginning at 3 I believe. It goes pretty quickly if you do the bounties and strikes or hammer a planet zone for bounties (I prefer the moon due to the ease of getting through all the zones, many like Earth instead).

Do strikes, back to back the highest level you are comfortable with until you get up to the highest ROC strikes and do all of those to get your 100 vanguard credits for the week. You need 150 per legendary weapon.

As I leveled my first toon, Hunter, using strikes I scored a lot of legendaries, mote's and some coins... these all come into play every Friday through early sunday am when Xur is in the tower, vendor that takes Coins and Motes for Exotic gear or Exotic Engram depending on the week.

I had a full set of legendary for my Titan after leveling up my Hunter, My Titan was easy mode leveling along with a few Legendary rifles and MG from RNG drops on the runs. Also had high level gear for a Warlock, which I leveled this week in a day... once he hit 20, put on Exotic arms and purples, instantly went to level 27, lol... now 28 after one day of bounties to level up the light gear on those new pieces.

Strikes are key if you like to solo like myself, not big into raiding and just having fun with the game casually... once you have two toons at upper levels and doing strikes, you will see a lot of gear start to drop.

I'm currently trying to solo the weekly nightfall, with my 30 hunter then my 30 Titan, fun but takes a long time.

TLDR.... first toon takes longer to level, that toon will have tons of gear for new toons if you want... or level three of same class for more chances at high level gear drops for the one class main.

You need rank three for weapons along with a commendation now, that you get at each rank up beginning at 3 I believe. It goes pretty quickly if you do the bounties and strikes or hammer a planet zone for bounties (I prefer the moon due to the ease of getting through all the zones, many like Earth instead).

Do strikes, back to back the highest level you are comfortable with until you get up to the highest ROC strikes and do all of those to get your 100 vanguard credits for the week. You need 150 per legendary weapon.

As I leveled my first toon, Hunter, using strikes I scored a lot of legendaries, mote's and some coins... these all come into play every Friday through early sunday am when Xur is in the tower, vendor that takes Coins and Motes for Exotic gear or Exotic Engram depending on the week.

I had a full set of legendary for my Titan after leveling up my Hunter, My Titan was easy mode leveling along with a few Legendary rifles and MG from RNG drops on the runs. Also had high level gear for a Warlock, which I leveled this week in a day... once he hit 20, put on Exotic arms and purples, instantly went to level 27, lol... now 28 after one day of bounties to level up the light gear on those new pieces.

Strikes are key if you like to solo like myself, not big into raiding and just having fun with the game casually... once you have two toons at upper levels and doing strikes, you will see a lot of gear start to drop.

I'm currently trying to solo the weekly nightfall, with my 30 hunter then my 30 Titan, fun but takes a long time.

TLDR.... first toon takes longer to level, that toon will have tons of gear for new toons if you want... or level three of same class for more chances at high level gear drops for the one class main.

Wow, thanks for the lengthy response!

I'm surprised that people will go through the trouble of leveling three of the same class just for more chances at high level drops. I've never heard of people ever doing that in a game before. But I suppose when the game artificially imposes a limit on how many points you are allowed to get per week, the super hard cores will resort to this. What's the reason for the limits by the way?

As for the strikes, the level 24 regular strike is pretty easy for me as it always matches me up with 2 other level 23-25 players. The weekly heroic strike level 24, however, is a beast. Do they purposely NOT match you up with other players automatically for this? I tried it solo and did not get very far. Then I tried it with one other level 24 friends and we gave up after getting wiped with the boss three times over. A third player there would have made things infinitely easier.

I just got the game last weekend and I'm struggling with getting my rank up doing bounties and such. Didn't take me long to get to level 24 (maybe 20 hours?), but I'm thinking that I'll be 24 for many more hours. I'm now about 200 points away from rank 2, but I read that you have to have rank 3 to have the commendation to get legendary armor. Is that right?

I have received zero legendary armor in my play so far. Last night on a level 24 strike, I did get a legendary band. But as far as I could tell, it was just another bling item.

I can't imagine leveling 3 different characters to level 30+. Is that over 200 hours of play?

Yeah. I think I have probably 350 hours or more into the game. I've slowed it down quite a bit lately though. Just hop on for raids, nightfall, weeklies. Don't really bother with much bounties since I've already maxed out the Eris ranks.

Also, I think some of your questions have been answered already but yes you need at least rank 3 and higher to get commendations from each level up.

Wow, thanks for the lengthy response!

As for the strikes, the level 24 regular strike is pretty easy for me as it always matches me up with 2 other level 23-25 players. The weekly heroic strike level 24, however, is a beast. Do they purposely NOT match you up with other players automatically for this? I tried it solo and did not get very far. Then I tried it with one other level 24 friends and we gave up after getting wiped with the boss three times over. A third player there would have made things infinitely easier.

Yeah for some reason the heroics/nightfall do not use matchmaking...

I haven't tried any LFG stuff yet at it is outside the game I believe and or in game voice? I'm just having fun casually and looked up some vids on how to solo some things, my gear is getting better and it's fun. Given that the new DLC raid was beaten in one day and now players are soloing it... the game can run out of end game content for hardcore's pretty quick.

Shooting and gameplay is fun for now and it's a bit at your own pace if you like to solo, so enjoy and see what you like.

Hunter was fun to play but I really like Titan mechanics, hammering down anything near is a blast or in defender, bubble and punch whatever is foolish enough to enter the thunderdome (still leveling defender tree). Warlock is really OP and I've only leveling "SunBro" tree for now, the super is a grenade spam mechanic, lots of fun spreading suns around.

I ended up with a Vanguard assault rifle. keeps radar when aiming down scope and increased stability. i'll probably shard it away to be honest. I prefer the other vanguard AR that I purchased prior, and no real reason to level this one.

Pretty good week for me. Got all raid gear, 2 exotic armor, 1 exotic weapon, 4 legendary items and can now hit level 32 on my titan. Not bad at all. All of this with a single character lol.

Yeah for some reason the heroics/nightfall do not use matchmaking...

I haven't tried any LFG stuff yet at it is outside the game I believe and or in game voice? I'm just having fun casually and looked up some vids on how to solo some things, my gear is getting better and it's fun. Given that the new DLC raid was beaten in one day and now players are soloing it... the game can run out of end game content for hardcore's pretty quick.

Shooting and gameplay is fun for now and it's a bit at your own pace if you like to solo, so enjoy and see what you like.

Hunter was fun to play but I really like Titan mechanics, hammering down anything near is a blast or in defender, bubble and punch whatever is foolish enough to enter the thunderdome (still leveling defender tree). Warlock is really OP and I've only leveling "SunBro" tree for now, the super is a grenade spam mechanic, lots of fun spreading suns around.

Please explain how Warlock is really OP (I'd really like to use this to my advantage). I've completely leveled my original path and am 1/3 of the way through the SunBro tree. For my regular path, I never bothered looking to see which options are the best, I just went with the most recently upgraded one. Haven't tried PVPn with the other tree since I'm just leveling it up.

I get owned so hard on PVP! I've always been at the base minimum 1.5 KDR type player, sometimes closer to 3.0 depending on the game. I'm ending rounds at like 0.2 through 0.8 KDR. Makes me feel pretty pathetic! I can't help to feel that there are game mechanics that I'm not exploiting to my advantage in the Crucible. It feels like everyone one, two, or three shots me. And the only way I can one shot people is if I'm surprising them with a shotgun to the face.

I personally hate playing as a Warlock, it's not fun, the only time I feel useful is when everyone else has failed to stay alive and I have to activate fireborn to save everyone for the nth time.

As such I deleted my 31.75 Warlock with both classes capped to level a 2nd Titan to get another chance at the raid gear rolls each week. I had so much more fun leveling Defender because it feels more strategic while also feeling more in your face and the jump is faster and easier for me to control.

I love playing my Titan now, took a long time to solo the weekly Heroic with hunter but my Titan cruised through it fairly easy on first attempt (learned the mechanic's on my Hunter so there was an advantage).

Lock jump is pretty lame.

I'm focusing more on the Titan/Hunter and Lock will be for fun.

To help with PVP, watch some of the streamers and you will probably pick up a few good moves. I watched a good lock run around and he would always fire one shot and immediately melee attack, like a double punch it seemed and he was moving through tight spaces like that.

Others are really good using the game mechanics, which I'm not to good on for PVP either, not a big console pvp person, much prefer PC controls.

PVP has weapons leveled no matter that level of the player (depending on the game setup) so be careful of the low level players as well. Nades work well, specials are hard for me to get down... and don't go after heavy ammo when it drops right away. The hardcores no all the maps and will camp the ammo drops when it's announced, then pick up after they kill you.

My noob ass didn't know the vault was for all toons, so I de'd a bunch of low-level greens to upgrade a rare. I'm only at 18,but having a blast. Really digging PVP too, even though I'm not all that good yet.

PvP is really one of the fun things of the game and can help during the downtime of pve or if you want to take a break from the bounty and vanguard stuff.

PvP takes a while to get used to, but once you know the maps and find a weapon combo that works for you it can be a lot of fun. I used to be a fusion rifle guy but after getting Thorn that is my go to.

On another note, after not playing for a week due to vacation I logged in and got Ice Breaker and Truth from the first Crota chest, and my Warlock lucked out and got the raid chest armor at the bridge which completes his 32 set. It's time to roll a hunter now since my Warlock and Titan are only in need of radiant shards.

PvP takes a while to get used to, but once you know the maps and find a weapon combo that works for you it can be a lot of fun. I used to be a fusion rifle guy but after getting Thorn that is my go to.

On another note, after not playing for a week due to vacation I logged in and got Ice Breaker and Truth from the first Crota chest, and my Warlock lucked out and got the raid chest armor at the bridge which completes his 32 set. It's time to roll a hunter now since my Warlock and Titan are only in need of radiant shards.

Now that I'm sucked into this game leveling up my guy to level 32, I am going to stick it out. That being said, I hate how leveling up is based off armor that's based off a random number generator. I have no plans to start another character once my character is level 32. Then again, I say that now... we'll see.

Got my Warlock to level 28 yesterday. Purchased the expansion on Friday night and it seemed to really open the door to better drops. Pay to win.

I was able to get 13 Strange Coins in time to buy the exotic chest piece off of Xur. Hated that I had to dismantle my existing legendary chest piece. But at least I got three shards that I was able to use to upgrade my legendary gloves. Then I had to dismantle two other legendaries that was a glove / chest.

I have four friends that all started playing the game the same time I did. We are level 24, 24, 26, 28, 28. Think we could make any progress at all in Vault of Glass? Then again, we're rarely all on at the same time, so I'll probably have to end up going to one of those LFG websites.

The 24s will have a hell of a time. I'd say at least 27 to do it comfortably (normal mode)

Ok thanks. Seems like it's pretty easy to get to level 24, but quite a grind for there on out. For those of you that are 32, does it take more time to go from 28 to 32 as it did from 24 to 28?

It took me the longest to go from 24 to 26. Then I started doing VOG and was 29 until the DLC came out. I am now 31 with an exotic helm, crota raid chest and two vendor bought legendaries. You can buy your way to 30 pretty easily with the DLC if you have faction with Vanguard, Crucible or one of the other factions.

It took more time getting from 29-30 pre expansion. Haha

Yeah, purchasing the expansion did increase my chance at armor above 15 light. I think one of my rare pieces now has 21 light. Is that as high as it goes?

It took me the longest to go from 24 to 26. Then I started doing VOG and was 29 until the DLC came out. I am now 31 with an exotic helm, crota raid chest and two vendor bought legendaries. You can buy your way to 30 pretty easily with the DLC if you have faction with Vanguard, Crucible or one of the other factions.

I received my commendation for rank 3 Vanguard a few days ago. But I spent my marks already on my chest piece (that I ended up scrapping for the exotic) so I'll have to wait for Tuesday's reset to earn some more marks to purchase some other pieces.

Once I've purchased my next piece, I believe I will automatically be level 29. And then 30 will come once I've acquired the requisite shards.

Oh... I finished that urn quest yesterday. The reward is supposed to be a set of legendary gloves. But I'll have to scrap that since I already have some legendary gloves that are one upgrade from being maxed out.

The 24s will have a hell of a time. I'd say at least 27 to do it comfortably (normal mode)
Guess I might be waiting another week then.

Figures Xur would sell Icebreaker this week. I FINALLY got one doing a ROC strike of all things last night. Tempted to pick two more up so every character has one.

This is intentional by Bungie. Hard raid comes out next week. 3 Exotic Helms (Warlock didn't have one for weeks on end). Ice breaker. This is to push people to the edge and hit 32 because the raid helmet is rare but the other pieces are not. Iron banner with gloves that only require ascendant shards (pretty BS if you ask me since it brings you to light+36, lol).

Back